Author Topic: S1 - Mission 6 - Debt Collection  (Read 23362 times)

Offline T'Prina

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • CHIEF SCIENCE VULCAN
  • Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to players who are always online and posting.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S1 - Mission 6 - Debt Collection
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2017, 03:44:37 am »

[CIC Office]

The Vulcan raised her eyebrows. Apparently word traveled fast on the Starbase. Loose lips or however the human phrase went.

"I assure you, Commander, you need not be concerned. I had completed the task set to me by Captain Stafford prior to your summons. I currently have no other standing obligations."

As she focused more on the problem of the drones, the severe rigid set to her shoulders relaxed. She clasped her hands behind her back, thoughtfully.

"I may have a workable solution to your drone dilemma. They are not, for lack of a better word, smart enough and are unable to be upgraded without a serious overhaul to their operating systems. It would be unwise to leave such a gaping hole in the defense of the Starbase."

T'Prina's eyes glinted as she came to her proposed solution. Truth told, she had been looking for an excuse to dabble with this new technology, and this provided an excellent opportunity.

"I am not certain if you are aware, but there is currently a prototype AI that has been in development. It is a learning adaptive program, but it could be configured to organize and monitor the drone data and movement. This AI can integrate into the drones' existing system and effectively act as their 'brain,' being moderately sentient and capable of somewhat advanced decision making." She placed her hands on the table and leaned in slightly.

"We have been granted an early version of this program, called ANALYN. The drones would provide an invaluable testing opportunity which could help in further advances. I must be honest, I believe such work would be fascinating." She then pulled back, stiff and proper once more. It was a concern that she let a little too much emotion drift close to the surface. It was a regrettable habit, this curiosity of hers.

Just then, 3 odd figures burst through the office door. Two large, slightly bored Klingons and a flushed out of breath Ferengi. The sweaty, toadlike man stepped forward and puffed his chest out importantly. With his unfortunate features and garish clothing, he looked like a treefrog about to croak.

"The Vulcan fe-male will come with me!"

T'Prina crossed her arms in front of her, incredulously. "No, the Vulcan female will not. What sort of nonsense is this? "

"The fe-male property has no rights to argue. Compliance will be enforced, with minimal damage to the product." The last bit was aimed at the Klingons who stood there, flexing and shifting their assorted weapons. Unarmed, she could maybe take one Klingon, but the Ferengi looked like a biter. Given their deplorable state of dental hygiene, she had no desire to find out how toxic that would be. With an inaudible sigh, she turned to Commander Soraka.

"If I could be excused for a moment, sir. I will inquire to what this is about." She gestured to the Ferengi with an irritated hand wave. "I will return presently to discuss my proposal." With that she turned to follow the Ferengi and his guards from the office.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:17:54 pm by T'Prina »

At your smallest components, you are indistinguishable from a forest fire.
Bio

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2017, 03:21:28 pm »
Tritter shifted his gaze to focus on the Crewman who had greeted him, he was impressed with how they addressed him, at least the Security folks who had the proper amount of discipline. He than nodded to the man and replied with "Thank you Crewman, carry on, Captain Stafford should be here shortly. The main thing we need to do is keep the order here." He noticed additional security forces arrive, he seemed happy that others had came to back them up and keep the order in the area. He refocused once again the Crewman and said, "Just keep an eye on things until the Captain arrives", his tone was mellow and relaxed as he addressed the other man.

Diplomatic Situation Room

Hi, I'm Matt and I'm a radar technician.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2017, 03:22:26 pm »

"Oh, and Captain?" he said, turning back just before the door. "This might be a good time to mention, I have four Ferengi forcibly confined to an undisclosed area of the station under heavy guard." he said, a broad grin on his face now. "I figured that if the Ferengi were attacking, they might try and spring the Brig. The mid 100's levels should be safe enough for now. Charges range from Public Intoxication to disorderly conduct." he said, before departing quickly, lest the Captain was annoyed.

[Promenade]

Stafford blinked, so surprised that he didn't even have time to formulate a sharply worded reprimand before Kinun stalked off. The captain resolved to let it slide. If anyone could trump up some charges that would stick it was the amoral JAG officer. I have enough problems as it is.

With the Ferengi and their cohorts cleared out the Promenade was much more quiet. Stafford saw that most of the civilians had quite astutely not hung around the premises. His cane clicked on the deck, echoing throughout the empty area.

[Diplomatic Situation Room]

The scene was a bit chaotic, to say the least. Security had done a good job of keeping them there and quiet...if a pack of Ferengi could ever be quiet, wrongfully imprisoned or not.

The volume of noise quadrupled when he stepped foot into the room. Pleas, threats, whining, all of it swelled with the appearance of the man in charge. The captain was a bit mollified: if they were begging him to be released they at least knew he was still in command, not their sub-Nagus.

Without a word, Stafford raised his cane high above his head and sent in crashing down onto the enormous table that dominated the room. Wood met wood with an explodingly loud ear splitting CRACK!

Silence finally reigned.

"Gentlemen, I regret that my people have treated you so unfairly," Stafford said. He had a husky voice and an old fashioned earth accent, one another human might call 'country' or 'rural', but just sounded alien to the assembled Ferengi. "Your arrests were inadvertent, and I do apologize."

A few satisfied murmurs were heard.

"However," Stafford went on. "In line with the Rules of Acquisition, I am not giving up an advantage. I am sure you can all appreciate that. I believe that's rule number...six. Anyway, you will all remain here and under guard. Either by force or by negotiation, this Station is staying in Federation hands."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:56:56 pm by Luke Stafford »

Offline Michael J. Tritter

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Don't trifle with Tritter
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. 2018 Starfleet Intelligence: Strategic Science Summit  Featured missiion Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2017, 04:05:00 pm »

Tritter felt something coming at him, he turned to face the assiliant, by the time he did that, the Security Officer had neutralized the threat, he was impressed with their quickness. He watched the Ferengi crumple onto the floor, gasping for air. He was oddly amused by it.

He than shifted to focus on the crewman and stated, "Thank you", as he was appreciative of it. He shifted to the loud mouthed Ferengi and stated, "You are lucky the worst you got wasn't being treated with kid gloves, do me a favor and keep your mouth shut", he was not in the mood for the Ferengi's crap in all honesty.

He pondered over the Crewman's apology for rough handling the Ferengi, he stated, "You did the right thing, Captain Stafford may not be happy about it, but I will handle that issue."

He than heard Captain Stafford enter the room, he advised the Ferengi to stay face down on the deck, they tried to protest but it fell on deaf ears. He just listened quietly to Captain Stafford.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:18:33 pm by Michael J. Tritter »

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Offline Non-Playing Character 2

• Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2017, 11:31:49 pm »
[NPC Post - Sub Nagus Drega]

[Ferengi Vessel]

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Drega had lied.

He wasn't investigating the unpleasantness on the Promenade or discovering the unlawful seizure of his men. He was on a wholly different and in his own mind a much more important mission.

The bridge was empty, with only a token of men on the entire ship at all. But Drega still activated the security and communication protocol.

"=Dampen. Authorization Drega.="

"=Dampened.="

"=Connect.=" The old Ferengi didn't intimate easily, but his voice was strained, almost a whisper.

A moment later an authoritative, unaccented and tenor pitched voice simply replied: "=Report.="

"=Commander, we have begun to infiltrate the station.=" the Ferengi said with groveling courtesy. "=But the hew-mons have given us some problems, they've--="

"=Humans and their problems do not concern me,=" the voice said threateningly. "=I want that chip. If you want your profits you will get it. Are we clear, sub-nagus?="

"=Yes...clear. Very.=" Drega said. "=We will deliver.="
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:32:55 pm by Luke Stafford »

Offline Zuriel Soreka

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • What does this big red button do?
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2017, 01:01:46 am »
[CIC Office]

The Vulcan raised her eyebrows. Apparently word traveled fast on the Starbase. Loose lips or however the human phrase went.

"I assure you, Commander, you need not be concerned. I had completed the task set to me by Captain Stafford prior to your summons. I currently have no other standing obligations."

As she focused more on the problem of the drones, the severe rigid set to her shoulders relaxed. She clasped her hands behind her back, thoughtfully.

"I may have a workable solution to your drone dilemma. They are not, for lack of a better word, smart enough and are unable to be upgraded without a serious overhaul to their operating systems. It would be unwise to leave such a gaping hole in the defense of the Starbase."

T'Prina's eyes glinted as she came to her proposed solution. Truth told, she had been looking for an excuse to dabble with this new technology, and this provided an excellent opportunity.

"I am not certain if you are aware, but there is currently a prototype AI that has been in development. It is a learning adaptive program, but it could be configured to organize and monitor the drone data and movement. This AI can integrate into the drones' existing system and effectively act as their 'brain,' being moderately sentient and capable of somewhat advanced decision making." She placed her hands on the table and leaned in slightly.

"We have been granted an early version of this program, called ANALYN. The drones would provide an invaluable testing opportunity which could help in further advances. I must be honest, I believe such work would be fascinating." She then pulled back, stiff and proper once more. It was a concern that she let a little too much emotion drift close to the surface. It was a regrettable habit, this curiosity of hers.

Just then, 3 odd figures burst through the office door. Two large, slightly bored Klingons and a flushed out of breath Ferengi. The sweaty, toadlike man stepped forward and puffed his chest out importantly. With his unfortunate features and garish clothing, he looked like a treefrog about to croak.

"The Vulcan fe-male will come with me!"

T'Prina crossed her arms in front of her, incredulously. "No, the Vulcan female will not. What sort of nonsense is this? "

"The fe-male property has no rights to argue. Compliance will be enforced, with minimal damage to the product." The last bit was aimed at the Klingons who stood there, flexing and shifting their assorted weapons. Unarmed, she could maybe take one Klingon, but the Ferengi looked like a biter. Given their deplorable state of dental hygiene, she had no desire to find out how toxic that would be. With an inaudible sigh, she turned to Commander Soraka.

"If I could be excused for a moment, sir. I will inquire to what this is about." She gestured to the Ferengi with an irritated hand wave. "I will return presently to discuss my proposal." With that she turned to follow the Ferengi and his guards from the office.

Offline T'Prina

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • CHIEF SCIENCE VULCAN
  • Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to players who are always online and posting.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2017, 03:38:06 am »

[CIC Office]

The Ferengi became shrill in outrage, and as he believed his hired muscle still held the upper hand, turned his ire on Soreka. He waved a hand to hold off the Klingons for the moment. "This Starbase belongs to the Ferengi Commerce Authority now. Sub-Nagus Drega will hear of this insubordinate insult!" He puffed and strutted, like a barnyard rooster, a quivering indignation radiated from all 4'7" of him.

T'Prina perched on the corner of the table and watched the absurd scene unfold. Males, no matter the species, were a hot headed irrational bunch. Still she had no desire to be caught in the middle of what could escalate into a firefight. "Commander, I think it would be wise not to exacerbate the situation, until we have more understanding. Perhaps contacting Captain Stafford is in order?"

It was her hope that directing Soreka's attention to the practical would curb the air of violence he was projecting. Unfortunately, the Ferengi continued to talk.

"You are not entirely unattractive to look at even if you are clothed with tiny malformed ears. I can see why the hoo-man Captain Jett requested you as part of his fee. Of course, you would be much better looking on Ferenginar, silent and naked." He leered at her, disgusting smile filled with filed teeth. The Vulcan gripped the table edge, irritated but otherwise showing no visible signs.

"Then I thank my circumstances that I am not on Ferenginar." Her voice was placid and even. She would not escalate the situation. Particularly after admonishing a superior not to do so.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:31:53 pm by T'Prina »

At your smallest components, you are indistinguishable from a forest fire.
Bio

Offline Hust Kinun

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to players who are always online and posting.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2017, 12:57:30 pm »
[Promenade]

Stafford blinked, so surprised that he didn't even have time to formulate a sharply worded reprimand before Kinun stalked off. The captain resolved to let it slide. If anyone could trump up some charges that would stick it was the amoral JAG officer. I have enough problems as it is.

With the Ferengi and their cohorts cleared out the Promenade was much more quiet. Stafford saw that most of the civilians had quite astutely not hung around the premises. His cane clicked on the deck, echoing throughout the empty area.

[Promenade -> Elsewhere]

Hust found his way down to somewhere secluded, and locked the door behind him. Here he spread out and began working on the treaty. He compared the Ferengi's... "notes" to Staffords and found a respect for the Captain for the level of completeness of his notes. He worked his way through the treaty, finding a few noteworthy paragraphs but nothing major yet.

The beep of scrolling PADDs mixed with the sighing of one Lawyer as he worked his way through. Thankfully nobody had come to bother him yet, but then again another set of eyes could be useful. He pulled up the original text of the treaty on a wall screen as he began scrolling, having three screens all displaying notable information. He began reading it line by line- it was slow but it got the task done.

Only problem, Ferengi were a piggish presence on the station, and had quite the annoying effect on the empath.
Ex-Starfleet Lawyer (Disgraced)
Alt of Dylan Torngate.

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »
[Promenade]

The scene was a bit chaotic, to say the least. Security had done a good job of keeping them there and quiet...if a pack of Ferengi could ever be quiet, wrongfully imprisoned or not.

The volume of noise quadrupled when he stepped foot into the room. Pleas, threats, whining, all of it swelled with the appearance of the man in charge. The captain was a bit mollified: if they were begging him to be released they at least knew he was still in command, not their sub-Nagus.

Without a word, Stafford raised his cane high above his head and sent in crashing down onto the enormous table that dominated the room. Wood met wood with an explodingly loud ear splitting CRACK!

Silence finally reigned.

"Gentlemen, I regret that my people have treated you so unfairly," Stafford said. He had a husky voice and an old fashioned earth accent, one another human might call 'country' or 'rural', but just sounded alien to the assembled Ferengi. "Your arrests were inadvertent, and I do apologize."

A few satisfied murmurs were heard.

"However," Stafford went on. "In line with the Rules of Acquisition, I am not giving up an advantage. I am sure you can all appreciate that. I believe that's rule number...six. Anyway, you will all remain here and under guard. Either by force or by negotiation, this Station is staying in Federation hands."

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2017, 03:43:52 pm »

Stafford cast a shrewd look at the security enlisted man. He hadn't paid much attention to the tall, stern faced Marco Benitez much before. The captain knew that Benitez had been at the station longer than him and that he had just come off of some family bereavement leave. But with the way he was back in the swing of things he was either a very emotionless man or good at masking what sadness he did feel.

"Could be useful. Make it so, petty officer," The captain told him. There was no such thing as wasted information.

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2017, 05:30:07 pm »

Stafford cast a shrewd look at the security enlisted man. He hadn't paid much attention to the tall, stern faced Marco Benitez much before. The captain knew that Benitez had been at the station longer than him and that he had just come off of some family bereavement leave. But with the way he was back in the swing of things he was either a very emotionless man or good at masking what sadness he did feel.

"Could be useful. Make it so, petty officer," The captain told him. There was no such thing as wasted information.

With the captain's orders, Marco had a good excuse to leave the aggravating situation.  That wasn't his true intent, however, but he was glad that he no longer had to suffer all of the Ferengi whining.  They were pushing ahead of each other in a desperate and rude attempt to catch the Captain's attention.

Terrible luck...

He made his way to the doorway only to push a small Ferengi out of his way when the alien didn't move fast enough.  The tiny man squealed as Marco did that, but made no further complaints.  Marco briefly wondered if the creature was used to being pushed around.  The thought, fortunately, evaporated as he made his way back to the metal stairwells. 

Columbus stairwells..somewhere close to Engineering

The stairwells were in place in case something ever happened to turbolifts.  It was one of Marco's duties, as a security crewman,  to make sure they were clear and most importantly that no funny business was going on.  On a base as large as the Columbus there were many places where people could conduct business unnoticed but Marco had a nose for detecting such activities.  It was one of his greatest pleasures to accost and apprehend devious people on his base. 

The tall human male made his way back to the spot where he had thrown the Ferengi machine and hoped that no one had found it.  Marco had memorized all the corridors, having been stationed at the Columbus since it was being constructed.  He had never felt at home anywhere like he felt on the Columbus and he doubted he'd move anytime soon.  A small wave of regret and sadness hit him as he remembered preparing his father's funeral.  The man had died alone and if it weren't for the station's computer monitors, it would have been days since he would have been discovered.  A brief picture of his own future popped into his head and for the first time Marco became fearful of dying alone.  He pushed it out of his mind, however, as he found the right stairwell floor. 

He was in luck.  As Marco rounded the stairwell with the clang, clang of his boots on the metal grids, he spotted exactly what he was looking for.  He quickly picked it up and inspected it for damage.  The device was clearly of Ferengi design and was made for fingers much smaller than his own thick digits.  It seemed to be undamaged as he twirled it around with his large hands.  Finally satisfied that it was fine, he made his way back to the Captain.  He only hoped that there was something on the device that would help them get rid of so many damn Ferengi. 

Offline Daniel Howell

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Engineer - U.S.S. Shran
  • Three year award Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2017, 06:07:18 pm »
[NPC Post - General]

[Promenade]

"Hey!" A security officer said, whirling around to meet the new group of arrivals.

In response, the scarred Klingon shoved the Starfleet woman one-handedly over a table, causing drinks to spill and food to fly. A few other Klingons guffawed.

"The Ferengi Commerce Authority is releasing all wrongfully imprisoned and lifting this lock down of yours," A small round tick of a Ferengi said loud enough for the entire Promenade to hear. "Starfleet has no authority here!"

[Sickbay]

A trio of rough looking ruffians, all humans, accompanied a Ferengi with a PADD into the primary sickbay. The Ferengi was rattling off figures to himself.

"Space is approximately the same as a standard cargo hold," He was saying, lobes twitching with greed. "We can make this into yet another place for goods to sell and turn something else into sickbay. The solarium, perhaps, we don't need sunlight or gardens anymore."

"Yes sir," A human thug said.

"You, there!" The Ferengi jabbed a finger at Lieutenant Naira. "Is there a male here we can talk to? You're all being reassigned."

[Engineering]

"Ah, the nerve center, the heart of the operation!" Yet another Ferengi said to his gargantuan Nausicaan bodyguard. "We'll get started right away."

"Engineering department, to orders!" shouted the Nausicaan.

"Nice touch," The Ferengi admitted, before raising his voice. "Here's what we're going to be doing. Start stripping everything of value that is not needed for station operation and make me an inventory. I need to know how much of everything we have and how much latinum I can expect. Who's the ranking officer here?!"

Chief Engineers Office
Dan was in his office when all of a sudden he heard shouting and officers starting to run around. An ensign came in and said Sir, we are being infiltrated by Ferrengi! "Like hell are we." and walked out to stand his ground.

Main Engineering
He had heard the last bit, orders being given to the Nausicaan, stripping the area and asking who the ranking office is, and in a raised voice said back firstly to the Nausicaan "Belay that order." and then turned to the Ferrengi replying "The ranking officer would be me, Lieutenant Commander Daniel Howell, Chief Engineer. You touch anything in this room and I promise you there will be hell to pay, especially the essential parts that work this base. These officers report to me and until I receive orders otherwise, that's how it stays. Now you will be leaving or I will be calling security."
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known - Carl Sagan

Offline Zuriel Soreka

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • What does this big red button do?
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2017, 10:55:10 am »
[CIC Office]

The Ferengi became shrill in outrage, and as he believed his hired muscle still held the upper hand, turned his ire on Soreka. He waved a hand to hold off the Klingons for the moment. "This Starbase belongs to the Ferengi Commerce Authority now. Sub-Nagus Drega will hear of this insubordinate insult!" He puffed and strutted, like a barnyard rooster, a quivering indignation radiated from all 4'7" of him.

T'Prina perched on the corner of the table and watched the absurd scene unfold. Males, no matter the species, were a hot headed irrational bunch. Still she had no desire to be caught in the middle of what could escalate into a firefight. "Commander, I think it would be wise not to exacerbate the situation, until we have more understanding. Perhaps contacting Captain Stafford is in order?"

It was her hope that directing Soreka's attention to the practical would curb the air of violence he was projecting. Unfortunately, the Ferengi continued to talk.

"You are not entirely unattractive to look at even if you are clothed with tiny malformed ears. I can see why the hoo-man Captain Jett requested you as part of his fee. Of course, you would be much better looking on Ferenginar, silent and naked." He leered at her, disgusting smile filled with filed teeth. The Vulcan gripped the table edge, irritated but otherwise showing no visible signs.

"Then I thank my circumstances that I am not on Ferenginar." Her voice was placid and even. She would not escalate the situation. Particularly after admonishing a superior not to do so.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles