S1 - M6 - Discussion

Started by Malcolm Adeyemi, April 01, 2017, 01:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm Adeyemi

You know the rules by now, I hope. :)

Tag Zuriel!

Things That Go Bump in the Night is now in the replimat. We'll let it run as long as we like!

Maxine Dainshire

I proposed being able to make joint posts (JPs) which the captain agreed to with the caveat of limiting players to writing them once every 2 weeks. It will be a trial and error, to see if players like them. If you don't know what they are, it's a post where 2 or more PCs collaborate and one posts it to the board. Here's an example with 3 PCs from a previous sim I was on:

The Grand Ballroom
Central Complex
Pavilion Center
2110 Hours
Ji stood next to the buffet table, sipping on a cup of tea, watching the room. Clan Kl'dar had chosen three tables near the center of the room, making a show of their presence. Ji imagined a drinking game toward the end of the night, with weapons making an appearance.

In the opposite corner, Dre Ma'barrey Robryn was talking to Rishi Meh'net, which Ji thought odd, given the secretive manner of their conversation. Since the Civil War, Holy Reverend Tinil-Gathien had decided to place representatives in major cities to keep a finger on the pulse of Kendrassa. Ji wondered if they communicated by carrier pigeon since the Holy Reverend lived in the middle of the wilderness behind a dampening field.

"Captain Childress, may we talk?"

Ji turned to see Dre Ney'chow Perom looking up at her. He was a short man, rotund, with thick hair that was gelled back for the occasion. Pinned to his grey suit, he wore a ribbon that displayed his clan colors, orange and blue, and clan insignia, which looked like an ox plow and a sheath of grain. It highlighted their farming heritage.

"Of course," Ji said. She politely waited for him to reply, but when he didn't, she caught on that he meant in private.

"Follow me," she whispered. She led him to a hallway that ran toward the dressing rooms for visiting artists and musicians. Upon finding an empty room, she led the Dre inside. The lights turned on, revealing a vanity with a mirror that had fake roses lining the edge, an ornate stool with pearl trim, and several colorful bras draped on lamp posts.

She turned to the Dre, who blushed. "I'll make this quick, captain," he said. "It has come to my attention that Clans Ma'barrey and Sw'tanna are making...plans. For vengeance." He paused.

"Vengeance? Against Clan Kl'dar?" Ji guessed.

He nodded. "I don't have any details, but I wanted to warn you. Our small clan lives on the western continent, along with Ma'barrey and Sw'tanna. If their desire for power grows to match Kl'dar's..."

He trailed off, leaving Ji to form her own conclusions. "It could be another civil war. With your clan first in its sights."

"I've already said too much. If they found out..."

"Then you'd better leave," Ji said. There's a back exit." She pointed to the door behind the lamp with the red bra. "If anyone asks, say I led you outside so you could get some fresh air in private. I'll go back the way we came. I suggest you wait a while before returning."

"Thank you, captain." He hustled out the back door. Ji returned the way they came and caught Dre Robryn giving her a pointed stare. She waved and headed back to the buffet table to do a perimeter check. Ji tapped her comm badge.

"Lieutenant Bragg, report."

There was no answer. "Bragg, report."

In the ensuing silence, Ji's heart beat faster and alarm churned in her stomach. She commed Toryn.

"Captain, we have a situation."

As Ji Childress approached the buffet table, Nicholas Hunter intercepted her. He heard her comm Toryn Kaz. "Where's Bragg?" he asked off hand as they stopped.

Ji shook her head. "Not answering. I think comms are down."

"I can't raise half of the security detail, Ji," Nick said.

"Mercy! What else?" She knew Hunter. He was not rattled easily.

Nick shook his head. "A good part of off-world communications are being jammed. Site-to-Site, hell, all of the transporters are nonoperational and OPs isn't answering."

"Sh*t."

"I can't raise Norma, either."

o o o

And from relative serenity chaos suddenly sprang.

Emergency klaxons disrupted the ballroom's sedate atmosphere, rippling through the crowd in waves Toryn could literally see with the naked eye. Like a herd of cattle spooked by a loud noise. . .or the presence of a predator, Toryn knew that bedlam was only seconds away.

He quickly pushed and elbowed his way through the crowd and made his way to the buffet area, banging a set of salad thongs against a metal tray to garner the room's attention.

"Listen. . ." he shouted. "Please. . .Everyone Á¢â,¬"œ Listen. I have no idea what this". . .he waved his free hand to indicate the blaring klaxons. . . "is all about, but I'm sure it's nothing to be alarmed about. Probably just a tech malfunction. But just to be safe, I would appreciate it if you would all remain calm. . .and remain within the ballroom. Believe me, everything is over control. . . .Thank you for your attention."

Turning his back to the crown, Toryn tapped his commbadge. "Kaz to Childress Á¢â,¬"œ Report."

There was a momentary, staticky ping, then nothing.

"Kaz to Hunter, please respond."

Again the ping and silence.

Catching the attention of a couple of nearby S.O.'s, Toryn waved them over.

"Find the President and the Kendrassi Executor and stick to them like industrial glue. . .Understand?"

"Aye, sir," "Understood, Captain," both men replied.

o o o

The chatter of the ballroom changed to anxious whispers and evasive positioning. Everyone moved away from the front door and retreated toward the back. The klaxons continued to whine, heightening the tension.

"Come on," Ji said to Nick. She caught Courtney's eye and waved her their way. On the way to the front door, Ji picked up one of the swords Nick had brought from a side table and unsheathed it. Nick held a phaser and wore a sword strapped to his back and a knife in a belt sheath. As she turned toward him, her peripheral picked out Clan Kl'dar bringing up the rear. Ji locked eyes with Eodyne, then nodded. The group headed outdoors.

"Fan out," Ji said. "Yell if you encounter anything and wait for backup. Courtney, take ground transport and tell Tanis to scramble. We need eyes in the sky."

Eodyne walked up to Ji. "It seems fortunate we brought weapons," she said.

Ji side-eyed her. "Yeah, well, everyone needs that one crazy friend."

Michael J. Tritter

I personally have no issue with JPs and I also see no reason to limit them, as long as it doesn't hold up on the mission. But the final decision rests with Captain Shirls.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Malcolm Adeyemi

Provided activity and mission pace is reasonable I am willing to try it.

Zuriel Soreka

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Luke Stafford on April 01, 2017, 02:30:16 AM

Provided activity and mission pace is reasonable I am willing to try it.

When most people do JPs, they actually write the posts in real time over Skype or Google docs, than post it once they are done. It does not hold up missions generally.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Naira

Personally, I've never really been too fond of joint posts because I feel they tend to focus more on action and dialogue and less on setting, feelings and thoughts, but that's just me. I also like to take my time trying to figure out how my character would best respond and I feel rushed having to come up with a response on the spot via skype.

However, I've seen them used effectively for one of two reasons, either 1.) one of the PCs is incapacitated and the other needs to make a decision that would affect the other or both of them (this is done to make sure the other person gives consent) or 2.) the two PCs need to exchange a rather lengthy back and forth conversation and the join is used a way of getting past the conversation in one post vs spending days or weeks and numerous posts before they can more on. 

Malcolm Adeyemi

I am totally unfamiliar with joint posting. After all, this is the only RPG website I have ever been on, ha ha. I'm willing to give it a shot. Thank you for all of you more knowledgeable writers who were letting me know how it works.

Michael J. Tritter

When I was in Bravo Fleet, we did that fairly often, JP that is.

Maxine Dainshire

Ooh, a bounty hunter! Yaaassss!

Crystal Newberry

Malcolm Adeyemi

Non-Playing Character 2

Zuriel Soreka

Malcolm Adeyemi

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.