S1 - Mission 6 - Debt Collection

Started by Malcolm Adeyemi, April 01, 2017, 01:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zuriel Soreka

Quote from: Luke Stafford on April 02, 2017, 05:49:21 PM

[CO's Office]

Old curmudgeonly man or not, Soreka was on point. Off the cuff, the El Aurian had broken down the feasibility of deploying a brand new defense and research project. Stafford was impressed.

"Excellent. Get on it. Have you met our Strategic Ops Officer, Lieutenant Commander Ay'la?" Stafford asked. "She'll sort you out with anything you need. Materials, permits, and so on."

When Soreka brought up their serving together the captain could only smile and nod.

"A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one." He replied shortly. "As for the Ferengi, they have not disclosed the reason for their visit. Another thing Ay'la and our chaplain, Vem, will be working on. Along with myself. Well, commander."

He stood and grabbed his cane to steady himself. Months ago, an explosion from a booby trapped console had permanently lodged shrapnel in his right hip. If he had relented and gotten a cloned bone graft and some other fancy medical procedures he'd walk normally. But Stafford was a stubborn fellow and thought the entire procedure unnatural. He didn't want to walk, not that much.

"You get settled in and get started on the TIC project. We'll meet up for that dinner." Suddenly, his usually stern and shrewd expression softened just a bit. "It's good to see you again, Zuriel."

"It's good to see you too sir." Zuriel said as he stood and placed his glass on the table. It was odd having a relaxing time with Luke again, it seemed in some ways history had repeated itself, but in many other ways Zuriel was home, and he would do his part to keep it safe. "Aye Sir, I'll keep you updated on anything that requires your attention, but since you're the one asking for this to be done, I should not run into too many hang up, but then again ops can be a little stingy at times."

Zuriel exited the Co's office and made his way to exit the deck. Stepping onto the turbo lift he turned and faced the door. "Deck 38, combat information center." The turbolift rushed to its destination, and in a few moments Zuriel stepped out into the CIC. There were at around twelve people in the deck at the moment and each of them turned around to see you had the clearance to get to the deck. "Good afternoon, I am Lt.Cmdr Soreka, I'm you Chief flight officer but I will also be overseeing CIC for the station, I don't ask for much only to follow my orders as I give them to you, if you question or concerns, speak to me personally; I want to hear it." Zuriel to a look around the room, every department was funnel through here, the holo-screens gave real time information, from power level the casualty reports from medical.

"We are the future of defense for Starfleet, it's our job to be one step ahead of any danger on the station, and when there is a threat we have to see a way out of it before anyone else." Zuriel glared at the young faces of the room.

"Each of you was chosen by Admiral Kirok himself for this detail, this is not a game in a battle the station is always the first place to be hit, you all are the shield to make sure that won't happen; from here on out we will be conducting daily battle drills, I will use all 178 of my years of experience to confuse you and get you ready." Zuriel crossed his arms and continued to look around the room.

"I have orders forma captain to bring a fleet of drones online, we have to redesign the engineering drones for extended use, I want time frames, and productions requirements in four hours, ladies and gentlemen let get to work." Zuriel ended with a bow and made his way to his office. Sitting down he tapped his commbadge, =/\= Commander Soreka to Commander Ay'la, please meet me in my office in CIC as soon as possible."=/\=

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Zuriel Soreka on April 03, 2017, 02:19:24 AM

"It's good to see you too sir." Zuriel said as he stood and placed his glass on the table. It was odd having a relaxing time with Luke again, it seemed in some ways history had repeated itself, but in many other ways Zuriel was home, and he would do his part to keep it safe. "Aye Sir, I'll keep you updated on anything that requires your attention, but since you're the one asking for this to be done, I should not run into too many hang up, but then again ops can be a little stingy at times."

[Turbolift]

As he shot downward Stafford ruminated upon the irony of Soreka serving under him. Not too long ago he'd been the one eagerly presenting himself to Captain Soreka, reporting for duty. The captain had told him that sickbay would be receiving weapons as a last resort. They'd been at the start of some tricky negotiations with a new species, the Braxians. That had been quite a first mission with a new captain. He smiled slightly at the memory. At the time, it had been a terrible ordeal to undergo for a young enlisted man. Now it was only a lesson.

[Outside Naira's Quarters]

Stafford's cane rapped rhythmically over the hard deck as he made his way down the passageway. A handful of junior officers spotted him and stopped laughing at some private joke. In return, the captain gave them the biggest smile of the week.

"Gentlemen, lady," Stafford said, stopping and leaning on his cane a moment. "I see you're all in a fine mood today."

"Uh, yessir," an ensign in blue said. "Thank you."

"Where are you headed?"

"We are off duty sir, our shift ended thirty minutes ago." A young Vulcan woman said. "If, however, you require us to perform more--"

"Not at all, Lieutenant." Stafford told her hastily.

"Forgive T'Sila, sir, her kind doesn't do smalltalk." said an older human male with them. "We're going to Truffle's. I heard you like to haunt the bar there sometimes."

"Indeed I do, but duty calls." The captain told them. "Enjoy yourselves, all of you. Responsible fun is the keyword of the day."

"Will do," one of the men said before their Vulcan friend could inquire further. The group continued along.

Stafford found his new medical officer's quarters and tapped the chime. He hoped Lieutenant Naira wouldn't mind him making a house call.

Non-Playing Character 2

[Docking Ring]

[NPC Post - Sub-Nagus Drega]

The smartly robed Ferengi delegation stepped off of their shuttle. Immediately, the sub-nagus, a wizened old Ferengi with the demeanor of a shark and the dead eyes to match, waved over a junior hospitality officer.

"You, whoever you are, your sub-nagus Drega demands to speak to the captain. Have him meet me at the Federation Gardens Suite on Deck 150. That is, of course, after you make my party's reservations there."

"I'm sorry, sir," The officer said, checking his PADD. "I have your party with standard diplomatic quarters."

"We'll have to replace this one," Drega said to a colleague, who nodded sagely and whispered back. "Unacceptable, young man, simply unacceptable. Upgrade my reservations to the Federation Gardens Suite. That is the only acceptable accommodations for my guests and I. And fetch the captain."

The officer felt his hackles rise at being so addressed, but he controlled his temper. "=/\=This is Ensign Sharpe to Chaplain Vem. Sir, can you please come to the docking ring? There is a...diplomatic situation here.=/\="

T'Prina

[Main Science Lab]

T'Prina set the now immaculate beaker into storage. It was the last out of an inventoried 386 such beakers, according to her count, that had needed sterilization. She had been ordered to thoroughly clean the science labs as punishment for what could have been considered criminal mischief in other circumstances. Thankfully she was nearly done with the mind-numbingly tedious task. It was however preferable to the other assignment Stafford had handed out, though she believed it to be a form of humor. There was no point to wearing a placard in the Promenade, proclaiming her misdeed to the population. A form of shaming? For what it's worth, she would have done it again, so she felt no such shame at her actions.

At your smallest components, you are indistinguishable from a forest fire.
Bio

Naira

Quote from: Luke Stafford on April 03, 2017, 02:51:52 AM

[Turbolift]

As he shot downward Stafford ruminated upon the irony of Soreka serving under him. Not too long ago he'd been the one eagerly presenting himself to Captain Soreka, reporting for duty. The captain had told him that sickbay would be receiving weapons as a last resort. They'd been at the start of some tricky negotiations with a new species, the Braxians. That had been quite a first mission with a new captain. He smiled slightly at the memory. At the time, it had been a terrible ordeal to undergo for a young enlisted man. Now it was only a lesson.

[Outside Naira's Quarters]

Stafford's cane rapped rhythmically over the hard deck as he made his way down the passageway. A handful of junior officers spotted him and stopped laughing at some private joke. In return, the captain gave them the biggest smile of the week.

"Gentlemen, lady," Stafford said, stopping and leaning on his cane a moment. "I see you're all in a fine mood today."

"Uh, yessir," an ensign in blue said. "Thank you."

"Where are you headed?"

"We are off duty sir, our shift ended thirty minutes ago." A young Vulcan woman said. "If, however, you require us to perform more--"

"Not at all, Lieutenant." Stafford told her hastily.

"Forgive T'Sila, sir, her kind doesn't do smalltalk." said an older human male with them. "We're going to Truffle's. I heard you like to haunt the bar there sometimes."

"Indeed I do, but duty calls." The captain told them. "Enjoy yourselves, all of you. Responsible fun is the keyword of the day."

"Will do," one of the men said before their Vulcan friend could inquire further. The group continued along.

Stafford found his new medical officer's quarters and tapped the chime. He hoped Lieutenant Naira wouldn't mind him making a house call.

[Naira's Quarters]

For a brief moment, Naira could almost swear that she saw the smallest of smiles creep across Naniid's face. The oldest of the three girls had been the most reserved in terms of showing any sort of emotion. Perhaps it was because unlike the younger girls, she truly understood what it meant to be sold at the auction block.

Naira shuddered to think what would have happened to her and the younger girls had she not stepped in. And while she could rest easier knowing that she had saved them from some horrible fate, she also knew that there were more children out there, much like her girls, that may never get that chance. Before she had enough time to dwell on the thought enough to bring her mood down, their attention was drawn to the door chime.

The room fell silent as Aorua ducked behind girl that she had not quite yet come to call a sister, as the two of them slunk back into the far corner.

"Come in," Naira called out in a warm and inviting voice.

Meanwhile, she moved closer to the door so as to stand between it and the girls. She wasn't expecting an guests and she knew how nervous they made the girls.

When the door opened to reveal an older human male that she immediately recognized as the captain of this station, she stood up straight, threw her shoulders back, puffed out her chest and cupped her hands behind her back.

"Captain," she tried and failed to hide a tone of surprise. "Is there something I can do for you?"

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Naira on April 03, 2017, 05:48:05 PM

[Naira's Quarters]

For a brief moment, Naira could almost swear that she saw the smallest of smiles creep across Naniid's face. The oldest of the three girls had been the most reserved in terms of showing any sort of emotion. Perhaps it was because unlike the younger girls, she truly understood what it meant to be sold at the auction block.

Naira shuddered to think what would have happened to her and the younger girls had she not stepped in. And while she could rest easier knowing that she had saved them from some horrible fate, she also knew that there were more children out there, much like her girls, that may never get that chance. Before she had enough time to dwell on the thought enough to bring her mood down, their attention was drawn to the door chime.

The room fell silent as Aorua ducked behind girl that she had not quite yet come to call a sister, as the two of them slunk back into the far corner.

"Come in," Naira called out in a warm and inviting voice.

Meanwhile, she moved closer to the door so as to stand between it and the girls. She wasn't expecting an guests and she knew how nervous they made the girls.

When the door opened to reveal an older human male that she immediately recognized as the captain of this station, she stood up straight, threw her shoulders back, puffed out her chest and cupped her hands behind her back.

"Captain," she tried and failed to hide a tone of surprise. "Is there something I can do for you?"

[Naira's Quarters]

Stafford walked with his cane into the room. He was an older looking human male, with stormy dark blue eyes that were perennially narrowed to colored slits. His salt and pepper goatee and shaved head further emphasized the narrowness of his face. His cane and limping walk completed the image of a cantankerous old man.

At the sight of the children, however, the captain smiled. It positively lit up his face. He looked like some little girl's favorite uncle. His teeth were white and straight and his voice was positively vibrant as he sang out a greeting.

"Hello, lieutenant!" Stafford exclaimed in a rural earth accent. "At ease, of course. This is your home, we do not need to stand on formality in it."

He glanced around, noting with approval that the junior officer's quarters on his starbase were larger than those on any ship. Not even the Shran could boast such well appointed quarters for a lieutenant junior grade.

"I am sorry to bother you off duty, but I like to meet with everyone." He told her. He would have liked to have greeted the children with a smile, a kind word, and maybe a handshake, but they were as wary as their mother was formal. He contented himself with a nod to them, saying simply, "Hello there. My name is Luke. What are yours?"

Naira

Quote from: Luke Stafford on April 03, 2017, 05:55:13 PM

[Naira's Quarters]

Stafford walked with his cane into the room. He was an older looking human male, with stormy dark blue eyes that were perennially narrowed to colored slits. His salt and pepper goatee and shaved head further emphasized the narrowness of his face. His cane and limping walk completed the image of a cantankerous old man.

At the sight of the children, however, the captain smiled. It positively lit up his face. He looked like some little girl's favorite uncle. His teeth were white and straight and his voice was positively vibrant as he sang out a greeting.

"Hello, lieutenant!" Stafford exclaimed in a rural earth accent. "At ease, of course. This is your home, we do not need to stand on formality in it."

He glanced around, noting with approval that the junior officer's quarters on his starbase were larger than those on any ship. Not even the Shran could boast such well appointed quarters for a lieutenant junior grade.

"I am sorry to bother you off duty, but I like to meet with everyone." He told her. He would have liked to have greeted the children with a smile, a kind word, and maybe a handshake, but they were as wary as their mother was formal. He contented himself with a nod to them, saying simply, "Hello there. My name is Luke. What are yours?"

[Naira's Quarters]

She relaxed her posture and smiled at the captain as he introduced himself to both her and the children. The girls on the other hand, resorted to averting their gaze and remained silently frozen in their spot in the corner.

"You'll have to excuse them." Naira moved about the room parallel to the man, always keeping herself positioned between him and the children. It wasn't that she didn't trust him, but it was done to reassure the girls that she was there to protect them. "Their fathers put them up on the auction block just a few weeks ago and they are having trouble trusting anyone at this point, especially men."

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Naira on April 03, 2017, 07:15:01 PM

[Naira's Quarters]

She relaxed her posture and smiled at the captain as he introduced himself to both her and the children. The girls on the other hand, resorted to averting their gaze and remained silently frozen in their spot in the corner.

"You'll have to excuse them." Naira moved about the room parallel to the man, always keeping herself positioned between him and the children. It wasn't that she didn't trust him, but it was done to reassure the girls that she was there to protect them. "Their fathers put them up on the auction block just a few weeks ago and they are having trouble trusting anyone at this point, especially men."

[Naira's Quarters]

"I see." He didn't, though. Stafford was only trying to be polite. With so much experience as a Starfleet officer there was not much that could surprise him anymore. But he still ran into awkward situations with other species occasionally, times that defied explanation or feeling. The Orion were a wholly different species, their ways were their ways. Slavery had long been outlawed in the Federation, but it was a way of life for many other peoples. He didn't have to like it, but he was not going to stand there and pass judgement to someone he did not know, either.

"I am glad you have transferred to the Columbus, lieutenant." The captain told the woman. "You come highly recommended. Leaving the Athena could not have been an easy decision, but I sure could use you around here. How are you finding our facilities thus far?"

Naira

Quote from: Luke Stafford on April 03, 2017, 07:18:39 PM

[Naira's Quarters]

"I see." He didn't, though. Stafford was only trying to be polite. With so much experience as a Starfleet officer there was not much that could surprise him anymore. But he still ran into awkward situations with other species occasionally, times that defied explanation or feeling. The Orion were a wholly different species, their ways were their ways. Slavery had long been outlawed in the Federation, but it was a way of life for many other peoples. He didn't have to like it, but he was not going to stand there and pass judgement to someone he did not know, either.

"I am glad you have transferred to the Columbus, lieutenant." The captain told the woman. "You come highly recommended. Leaving the Athena could not have been an easy decision, but I sure could use you around here. How are you finding our facilities thus far?"

[Naira's Quarters]

Naira was somewhat surprised by his response or rather lack of response in regards to the subject of slavery. While she wasn't willing to shy away from the subject when asked about the girls, she found that most of those she spoke to, primarily Humans, tended to reply by offering their apologies or trying to dismiss the subject by applying negative connotations based upon their own cultural backgrounds. That fact that he was willing and able to change to subject of the conversation without an awkward transition spoke volumes to his character.

"While it was a great honor to serve on the Athena for the short time that I was there, I believe the starbase will prove to be a better environment to raise the children." She turned around to face the two girls still huddled in the corner and offer them a friendly and reassuring smile. "Other than our quarters and a shuttlebay, we haven't had the opportunity to explore the rest of the station yet, but...," she paused for a second to look at the captain once more, "I'm looking forward to familiarizing myself with your sickbays and research facilities on the first chance I get."     

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Naira on April 03, 2017, 07:44:50 PM

[Naira's Quarters]

Naira was somewhat surprised by his response or rather lack of response in regards to the subject of slavery. While she wasn't willing to shy away from the subject when asked about the girls, she found that most of those she spoke to, primarily Humans, tended to reply by offering their apologies or trying to dismiss the subject by applying negative connotations based upon their own cultural backgrounds. That fact that he was willing and able to change to subject of the conversation without an awkward transition spoke volumes to his character.

"While it was a great honor to serve on the Athena for the short time that I was there, I believe the starbase will prove to be a better environment to raise the children." She turned around to face the two girls still huddled in the corner and offer them a friendly and reassuring smile. "Other than our quarters and a shuttlebay, we haven't had the opportunity to explore the rest of the station yet, but...," she paused for a second to look at the captain once more, "I'm looking forward to familiarizing myself with your sickbays and research facilities on the first chance I get."

[Naira's Quarters]

"Excellent." The fact that she had dropped the formality was refreshing. Stafford's thoughts returned to Zuriel Soreka. The man was Starfleet through and through. A soldier. To him, even though the two of them were much more than captain and subordinate, Stafford was sir all the time. It was nice to meet someone who didn't stand on ceremony when the situation didn't call for it.

"We have childcare facilities and the best atmosphere for families in Starfleet," The captain said, smiling slightly again. "You get settled in first, and if you need anything let me know. I already have an assignment for you. I'm not sure if you heard, but we've had some bad luck the last few months. Three people dead."

Naira

Quote from: Luke Stafford on April 03, 2017, 07:50:50 PM

[Naira's Quarters]

"Excellent." The fact that she had dropped the formality was refreshing. Stafford's thoughts returned to Zuriel Soreka. The man was Starfleet through and through. A soldier. To him, even though the two of them were much more than captain and subordinate, Stafford was sir all the time. It was nice to meet someone who didn't stand on ceremony when the situation didn't call for it.

"We have childcare facilities and the best atmosphere for families in Starfleet," The captain said, smiling slightly again. "You get settled in first, and if you need anything let me know. I already have an assignment for you. I'm not sure if you heard, but we've had some bad luck the last few months. Three people dead."

[Naira's Quarters]

"I'm sorry to hear that. Please, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. I'd like to be of assistance if I can."

She was eager to start work and made a mental note to ask in about childcare at a later time.

"Perhaps it would be best if we discuss this in a different location, away from the children." The last thing she wanted would be to further traumatize the children by talk of death in front of them. As a doctor, she understood death to be just another part of life, but she knew that many other people felt uncomfortable around the subject and she wanted to be sensitive to their needs.

"Naniid, could you watch your sisters while we talk?"

Zuriel Soreka

The project of getting a Starbase sized drone fleet up and running was proving to be a very arguious task. The design team had did it job as they only had to upgrade the power systems in each class of drone to facilitate extended use, but they were running into the issue of getting enough materials for the task. Starbase Columbus only had around 150 drones, enough for a ship who ran research missions relatively close to a base, they were honestly only there to replace any drones lost by the fleet, the Starbase itself needed at least 10 time as many drones to form a functioning defense net, and that was going to mean a very interesting request for materials. Luck was on Zuriel side however as Captain Stafford had personally asked him to get this project up and running, but there still was red tape to cut through.

=/\= "Soreka to Stafford, designs are all complete, but to field the amount of drones you need will cost us more than my pay grade and ok, I'm sending the specs to your office now, in the meantime I will link up with ops so they know what's going on."=/\=

The triangle of thought he was on led Zuriel to realise he needed an extra body for shakedown tests, =/\= " Lt.Cmdr Soreks to Crewmen Almar, please report to deck 38 Control Information Center immediatly." =/\=

Vem, son of Motag

One step.
Two steps.
Threeeeee steps.
Four!
The small stick-bug staggered its way, slowly imitating a leaf swaying to the breeze with each painfully slow step despite being on the cold metal banister of the Chaplain's quarters.

A Klingon huge eye loomed, sideways, behind the stick bug. The observer tried his best to still his stale breath but a chirp from his comm badge caused the little bug who, after a moment of appraisal, decided to skitter away under a Yonkidite Fertility Statue. The Klingon shook his head and sighed. Little bug had been out of his cage for 2 full weeks now and it kept rustling at night.

Despite this, the Klingon gave a smile like someone had just told a good joke, and responded to the message about meeting the Ferengi delegation,

=/\= "Sounds good. I'll be Á¢â,¬Ëœdare in a moment." =/\= He mused and began to walk out the door. He stopped halfway out the door, remembering to take off the wreath of Carjotten Juneberries from his head and put on his left shoe. It was the Carjotten Cycle's End and he hadn't remember to re-dress himself after performing the Call of Whispering Trees. But, that having been attended to, he strolled out of his quarters. Unbeknownst to him he has a passenger on the small of his back, a certain little stick bug, that perfectly blended in.

[Docking Ring]

"Sub-Nagus Drega! Your lobes are looking mighty polished today!" Vem said with a deep, raspy, blustery voice as he playfully snaked his way towards the Ferengi. He, of course, had two slips of latinum in his hand, which he extended in different to him.

"If I knew you were commin' in so early, I woulda' have chilled some beetles! There is this place on da' station'-" He announced exuberantly, making a crunching noise to simulate one eating a crunchy bug, "Mmmmh! Never a bedd'ah bug for less dan' 30 slips!" He declared.

Vem had no idea why the Sub-Nagus was here, he must have missed that part of the memo, but he knew he was to "help stall them" if called upon.

Vem, Son of Motag
Federation Humanitarian Chaplain
Homeopathic Doctor

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Naira on April 03, 2017, 09:47:20 PM

[Naira's Quarters]

"I'm sorry to hear that. Please, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. I'd like to be of assistance if I can."

She was eager to start work and made a mental note to ask in about childcare at a later time.

"Perhaps it would be best if we discuss this in a different location, away from the children." The last thing she wanted would be to further traumatize the children by talk of death in front of them. As a doctor, she understood death to be just another part of life, but she knew that many other people felt uncomfortable around the subject and she wanted to be sensitive to their needs.

"Naniid, could you watch your sisters while we talk?"

[Naira's Quarters]

"Good idea." Stafford realized he may have spoken out of turn with the children there. He loved kids, but wasn't used to them at all.

"Perhaps we could have a late breakfast?" The captain asked hopefully. "I have not eaten. Been a busy day already."

He led them out onto passageway and into a turbolift.

Quote from: Zuriel Soreka on April 03, 2017, 11:38:11 PM

=/\= "Soreka to Stafford, designs are all complete, but to field the amount of drones you need will cost us more than my pay grade and ok, I'm sending the specs to your office now, in the meantime I will link up with ops so they know what's going on."=/\=

[Promenade]

"=/\=Stafford to Soreka. I don't want to hear excuses, Commander. I want results or you'll be back on Andoria fighting biker gangs.=/\=" Stafford smiled at Naira. His tone had been light and cheeky. He didn't mean anything by his words.

"Work work work. It never ends." The captain told her.

[Automat]

The restaurant was actually nothing but a bank of replicators and tables. There were no servers, just a place by a turbolift for the crew to self serve and eat before getting to work. The place was filling up quickly with hungry crewmen grabbing a quick bite.

"I'm afraid for something fancy we'd have to leave your kids for a while." The captain said. He set his cane against the back of his chair and sat. "Hope you don't mind replicated food."

Non-Playing Character 2

[Docking Ring]

"Vem!" With a gnarled old hand Drega indicated for one of his underlings to collect the latinum. "The captain is a shrewd diplomat to have you meet us. This here is a Klingon that appreciates the finer things in life. Profits, respect, and females!"

His fellows cheered lustily.

"You will definitely be staying on now that this place is under new management," Drega mentioned. "So no worries. Now, I'm afraid that the Ferengi Commerce Authority has decided to call in its marker, Vem. The Starbase Columbus belongs to us now."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.