Author Topic: Can We Appreciate this AWESOME Joel Harlow Alien Design from Beyond  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Holy cow. Read this article (~Link~) on how they did the alien designs. The guy got an oscar nomination for his work on it.
Here is another article on it: ~Link~

A lot of this was done with pratical effects too:
(sorry in advance for the page stretching- it's worth it)

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Savar Dorran

• Approved Applicants
  • Trusted Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Can We Appreciate this AWESOME Joel Harlow Alien Design from Beyond
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 03:25:44 am »
I'm a sucker for practical effects, love 'em to the hilt when they're done like this.

Incredible work.

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:52:02 am »
The guy got an oscar nomination for his work on it.

Shoulda friggen won too..... *grumble grumble*
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 04:09:29 am »
These prosthetics are incredible.
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:15:57 am »
I don't know, they're way too realistic, to the point of being creepy. I mean, they're brilliant, they just freak me out.  :o

There's also a sense of being weird for the sake of being weird, without being natural or feasible. An enormous coiled shell hanging from the back of the head would be impractically heavy, and what use are claws coming out of the back of the head?

Well, at least people can no longer complain Star Trek aliens only have bits of junk stuck to their foreheads.
Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Offline D'Vid

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:56 am »
Yeah but the poor actors have to sit there for long hours. Its not comfortable. They got to be still. Have a straw in their mouth etc. It long and tiring but it must be fun when you see yourself as an alien.

A way to experience it. Is get masks of things and put them on. Or make your crazy one. and look in the mirror.

I once made a tin foil. It was poorly made. But I looked in the mirror and ALLOW the mask effect my spirit and emotions. I felt I was a infant and very unsure who I was seeing. I allowed myself to be taken over by the mask and develop a character and you can a new sense of who you are.

That is why I like acting. You get to know yourself and things. Hard to explain but its real fun. Something I encourage you all to give a try.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 05:24:15 am »
I mean... there were paid quite well to be in those costumes for that long.

And the shell on the head- I mean if she was from an aquatic society it might justify that a bit.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline D'Vid

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:53 am »
But think how cool it is to be an actor. I know because I was in certain student films and what they did to me. Its just fun experience.

I mean... there were paid quite well to be in those costumes for that long.

And the shell on the head- I mean if she was from an aquatic society it might justify that a bit.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:33:05 am »
Yeah but the poor actors have to sit there for long hours. Its not comfortable. They got to be still. Have a straw in their mouth etc. It long and tiring but it must be fun when you see yourself as an alien.

A way to experience it. Is get masks of things and put them on. Or make your crazy one. and look in the mirror.

I once made a tin foil. It was poorly made. But I looked in the mirror and ALLOW the mask effect my spirit and emotions. I felt I was a infant and very unsure who I was seeing. I allowed myself to be taken over by the mask and develop a character and you can a new sense of who you are.

That is why I like acting. You get to know yourself and things. Hard to explain but its real fun. Something I encourage you all to give a try.

Back when I was in college I made a series of large and very complex masks, and had some made on me, that would require the wearer to sit for over an hour (sometimes more) with straws up their nose and/or mouth in order to breath. Personally, while sitting there for that long could get a bit boring at times, I really enjoyed the experience. Oftentimes I would doze off and try to forget about the fact I was sitting in a room full of people while being half naked and covered in massive amounts of personal lubricant.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles