Mission 2.1 Plague Lords

Started by Constance Lafayette, March 02, 2017, 02:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance Lafayette

[Starbase Columbus]
A boatswain's whistle sounded "Lt. Commander Torngate, Commander Carter. Please meet your party in observation lounge 4." the voice over the intercom said. It had been two weeks weeks since the situation with the Athena. After the USS Kandahar had recovered their escape pods the remains of the Borg Cube... and the USS Athena.

The Captain, if she still was that, had been taken away upon arrival at the station and had been rushed to medical. Since then she had been segregated from the crew, which had been politely detained on Starbase Columbus. A great effort was underway there- the recovery of the technological scraps from the cube were sparking new discoveries and advancements by the hour all across the Federation. The data scans the away team had been able to take were some of the deepest yet of Borg technology and the advanced that would come where sure to be game changing.

Still, a sour note hung in the air. The USS Athena had been lost and though everyone had made it out, save the security officers killed by Danny, two brave engineers, and one andorian operations officer- it still felt like a loss. The Battle of Wolf 395 had seen the lost of almost 40 ships but still this somehow felt more painful.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on March 02, 2017, 02:06:47 AM

[Starbase Columbus]
A boatswain's whistle sounded "Lt. Commander Torngate, Commander Carter. Please meet your party in observation lounge 4." the voice over the intercom said. It had been two weeks weeks since the situation with the Athena. After the USS Kandahar had recovered their escape pods the remains of the Borg Cube... and the USS Athena.

The Captain, if she still was that, had been taken away upon arrival at the station and had been rushed to medical. Since then she had been segregated from the crew, which had been politely detained on Starbase Columbus. A great effort was underway there- the recovery of the technological scraps from the cube were sparking new discoveries and advancements by the hour all across the Federation. The data scans the away team had been able to take were some of the deepest yet of Borg technology and the advanced that would come where sure to be game changing.

Still, a sour note hung in the air. The USS Athena had been lost and though everyone had made it out, save the security officers killed by Danny, two brave engineers, and one andorian operations officer- it still felt like a loss. The Battle of Wolf 395 had seen the lost of almost 40 ships but still this somehow felt more painful.

[Starbase Columbus]

After Dylan and Mulchano had escaped the Athena, they'd been drifting in space. Thanks to a microthruster pack, Dylan had managed to haul himself and Mulchano to one of the escape pods. They couldn't beam aboard but it was a solid, tangable thing when the rest of the Borg Task Force arrived- Six ships, including the one that had rescued Dylan and Mulchano. When there, they had been locked in guest quarters, then brought to the Starbase and confined to a specific area each time. Their civilian clothes were all they had- Dylan in his regular civilan outfit he'd left on the station.

With review board after review board, investigations and inquiries, the past two weeks had seemed like some kind of Spanish Inquisition about the events that had transpired. Everything from how the Captain handled the event to the eggheads questioning him on every event, not giving Dylan any time to grieve over his ship and crewmates. It was a wonderful day, the first in fact, when Dylan could go and get away from anyone and drink.

He was in one of the bars, close to the observation lounge, trying his hardest to drown out his sorrows in drink. It was working pretty well, actually. His emotions were blunted but he remained... mostly... functional. He'd pay for this later... he'd pay for it several times over. In the morning.

He heard the hail and hauled himself up and out, walking out of the bar and into the promenade, shuffling his way over to the access to the Observation lounge.

When inside he sat down again, still in a dumb stupor from the events, the adrenalyne wearing off and leaving him tired, depressed, and upset about everything. He stared off into space, the faint smell of scotch on his breath and an aura that was definately not condusive to talking. He didn't look to see who was there... it was too painful.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

James Carter

[Bar - Minutes Earlier]

In the previous few months James had quickly learned how easy it is to take life for granted. Now however he almost went overboard. The bar may as well have been a club while he was there, or at least it would have been until the doors slid open. As Carter looked over to the door he spotted a very familiar face. It was his father, Admiral Grant Carter. James let out a long sigh as the man quickly approached. "What are you doing here pops?" The englishman asked bluntly.

Grant paused for a moment as he came to stand right in front of James. "You come back to life and I have to hear about it from news? You didn't even think 'Oh hey maybe I should talk to my father and tell him I'm alive'?"

James shook his head thinking carefully about his reply. "Don't act like you deserved notice mate. Like you would've actually cared if I died a few years ago. But no, now you're a bloody admiral. Gotta keep up that 'good guy' image. Besides I've been busy. You know, beating death and the Borg." He spoke in an extremely angry tone and his body language completely reflected that.

Grant quickly scoffed before he could actually reply. "Come on Jimmy. I thought we got passed this years ago. Have you told Tessa yet or should I be the one to tell her."

James continued shaking his head coming closer to his father and bringing his voice down. "I've told you before, my name is James. Not Jimmy." James sighed taking a step back for a moment. "Sorry pops. It's been a rough few months. And no, I wanted to talk to her in person. Haven't really had the time." His tone had calmed and his body had relaxed.

"It's fine son. I understand. You know Tessa was at your funeral. Alone. I've never seen her so broken up." Grant replied putting his hand on his sons shoulder.

James offered up a quick airy laugh before he could reply. "Good old Sparks. I've never meant-" That's when he heard the loudspeaker.

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on March 02, 2017, 02:06:47 AM

[Starbase Columbus]

James let out a quick relieved sigh before speaking again. "Right then. Saved by the bell 'ey? I've got to get going pops. We'll catch up about everything soon okay?" James started heading to the door, his movements followed by his fathers gaze.

"Do both of us a favor and talk to Tessa. For everyone's sake...and son. I'm proud of everything you've become." Grant said as his son left the room with an acknowledging wave.

[Observation Lounge 4]

James knew exactly what, or who was waiting for the two of them. Still though he didn't know if he was actually ready to encounter what he was about to. That's when he spotted Dylan. Carter swiftly came to stand next to the man placing his right hand on Torngate's left shoulder. "You look well mate. Did you enjoy your 'time off'? I think we all needed it."

Constance Lafayette

[Observation Lounge 4]

Standing with her back to the room, facing the large viewing windows that showcased the busy space of the Starbase, stood Constance Lafayette. Even as a Captain she had retained that knack for going unnoticed when she didn't want to be. Maybe it was her height, the way she didn't seem to regard anyone with any sort of real attention, or her quiet nature.

Regardless of the reason, she seemed unchanged, unphased, and perhaps a bit grumpy (as was to be expected). Her hands we loosely clasped behind back as the small asian woman looked out at a Vesta class before them. It was a long, large, top of the line science vessel but she was observing it with with detachment- like a bored babysitter observing her charge.

James Carter

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on March 02, 2017, 06:39:02 AM

[Observation Lounge 4]

Standing with her back to the room, facing the large viewing windows that showcased the busy space of the Starbase, stood Constance Lafayette. Even as a Captain she had retained that knack for going unnoticed when she didn't want to be. Maybe it was her height, the way she didn't seem to regard anyone with any sort of real attention, or her quiet nature.

Regardless of the reason, she seemed unchanged, unphased, and perhaps a bit grumpy (as was to be expected). Her hands we loosely clasped behind back as the small asian woman looked out at a Vesta class before them. It was a long, large, top of the line science vessel but she was observing it with with detachment- like a bored babysitter observing her charge.

[Observation Lounge]

That's when James spotted it out the window. He didn't wait for even a second for Dylan to respond before he came to stand in front of the window still talking to Torngate. "Look at that." He said totally in awe of the new vessel. "Who'd have guessed that it only took the death and resurrection of the first officer and single-handedly taking down a tactical cube to get an upgrade. But you know what...I'm starting to think it was worth it." James looked back to Dylan for a moment offering a genuine smile before looking to the ship again.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Starbase Columbus - Observation Lounge]

Mahak had been transferred exactly three times in almost as many months. Others might be off put by the amount of moving around, but the Vulcan was becoming quite accustomed to it. It was logical that he should go where he was needed the most, and he rarely formed attachments to others. Only Kali Reyes, and no amount of transferring could keep the two of them truly apart.

And so Mahak found himself once again on the Starbase Columbus, another former posting of his. His belongings were in a simple black duffel bag that he'd slung easily over his left shoulder. He was becoming so used to the constant moving around that he would not have felt any awkwardness, was he capable of feeling. Instead, the Vulcan presented himself front and center to the nearest high ranking officer, a morose looking human fellow who looked as if he didn't want to be bothered. Mahak was ignorant to such nuances.

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on March 02, 2017, 02:34:04 AM

[Starbase Columbus]

He heard the hail and hauled himself up and out, walking out of the bar and into the promenade, shuffling his way over to the access to the Observation lounge.

When inside he sat down again, still in a dumb stupor from the events, the adrenalyne wearing off and leaving him tired, depressed, and upset about everything. He stared off into space, the faint smell of scotch on his breath and an aura that was definately not condusive to talking. He didn't look to see who was there... it was too painful.

The Vulcan let his bag fall at his side, and stood up ramrod straight.

"Sir, Crewman Mahak reporting for duty, sir!" He barked out as if this was the first day of Basic training.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Mahak on March 02, 2017, 01:37:40 PM

Mahak had been transferred exactly three times in almost as many months. Others might be off put by the amount of moving around, but the Vulcan was becoming quite accustomed to it. It was logical that he should go where he was needed the most, and he rarely formed attachments to others. Only Kali Reyes, and no amount of transferring could keep the two of them truly apart.

And so Mahak found himself once again on the Starbase Columbus, another former posting of his. His belongings were in a simple black duffel bag that he'd slung easily over his left shoulder. He was becoming so used to the constant moving around that he would not have felt any awkwardness, was he capable of feeling. Instead, the Vulcan presented himself front and center to the nearest high ranking officer, a morose looking human fellow who looked as if he didn't want to be bothered. Mahak was ignorant to such nuances.

The Vulcan let his bag fall at his side, and stood up ramrod straight.

"Sir, Crewman Mahak reporting for duty, sir!" He barked out as if this was the first day of Basic training.

Dylan barely registered the commander as he walked by, nor did he care to recognize the fact that the Captain was there. He was unaware of what the future would bring- nor did he know they were getting a new ship, if at all. All Dylan knew is he was summoned here and so here he sat... until some upstart, green-blooded, pointy-eared, hobgoblin started sounding off cadence.

So there Dylan was, drunk, tired, depressed, and out of uniform... and even here some Crewman managed to find him. Running through his mind were a bunch of insults and curses to fling the way of the unfortunate crewman, but he managed to bite his tounge.

"I don't know who you are or why you're reporting here... But do both of us a favor and find someone who's on duty to talk to." he said, not looking up at the man. "Nevermind the fact that my current duty assignment is a cloud of debris being hauled in by the shipload." He said, staring out at the bay full of ships, including a recently-completed Vesta class that Dylan didn't recognize.

Dylan saw the Captain and looked at her for a bit, staring blankly, a vapid and lifeless expression as he tried to ignore the Crewman at his side.

Shadow Fleet

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on March 02, 2017, 01:54:25 PM

Dylan barely registered the commander as he walked by, nor did he care to recognize the fact that the Captain was there. He was unaware of what the future would bring- nor did he know they were getting a new ship, if at all. All Dylan knew is he was summoned here and so here he sat... until some upstart, green-blooded, pointy-eared, hobgoblin started sounding off cadence.

So there Dylan was, drunk, tired, depressed, and out of uniform... and even here some Crewman managed to find him. Running through his mind were a bunch of insults and curses to fling the way of the unfortunate crewman, but he managed to bite his tounge.

"I don't know who you are or why you're reporting here... But do both of us a favor and find someone who's on duty to talk to." he said, not looking up at the man. "Nevermind the fact that my current duty assignment is a cloud of debris being hauled in by the shipload." He said, staring out at the bay full of ships, including a recently-completed Vesta class that Dylan didn't recognize.

Dylan saw the Captain and looked at her for a bit, staring blankly, a vapid and lifeless expression as he tried to ignore the Crewman at his side.

[Starbase Columbus]

The personal rancor reflected in Torngate's remarks Mahak did not intend to dignity with a comment. However, had there been time, he would have addressed the officer's lack of bearing. But Torngate was clearly sad and drunk.

So instead the Vulcan looked down at the sitting man from his full 6'2.5" of height, right down the line of his nose. He had no attitude to express, and insubordination was against his nature. He settled for good old fashioned Vulcan disdain.

"I will find an officer who is on duty," Mahak said. "Or one who performs his duty even when he does not have to."

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Mahak on March 02, 2017, 02:02:36 PM

[Starbase Columbus]

The personal rancor reflected in Torngate's remarks Mahak did not intend to dignity with a comment. However, had there been time, he would have addressed the officer's lack of bearing. But Torngate was clearly sad and drunk.

So instead the Vulcan looked down at the sitting man from his full 6'2.5" of height, right down the line of his nose. He had no attitude to express, and insubordination was against his nature. He settled for good old fashioned Vulcan disdain.

"I will find an officer who is on duty," Mahak said. "Or one who performs his duty even when he does not have to."

[Lounge]

Dylan almost... Almost wanted to argue the remarks... but decided against it. This wasn't a battle he was in the mood for- nor one that he could win. very few people went toe to toe against a Vulcan's mind and won. Right now he didn't care.

"If I had a ship I'd help ya." he said, sighing. "But seeing as I don't have any ship to accept your reporting to, I'd check that your transfer orders are right." he grumbled, hoping the Vulcan could hear him. "Check with Captain Lafayette over there. She'll point you to the personnel officer you need to talk to."

Dylan jerked a thumb over shoulder to the approximate location of the Captain. Not that she was Captain of anything... but she still held rank, until her court-martial for losing a ship.

Shadow Fleet

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on March 02, 2017, 02:11:09 PM

[Lounge]

Dylan almost... Almost wanted to argue the remarks... but decided against it. This wasn't a battle he was in the mood for- nor one that he could win. very few people went toe to toe against a Vulcan's mind and won. Right now he didn't care.

"If I had a ship I'd help ya." he said, sighing. "But seeing as I don't have any ship to accept your reporting to, I'd check that your transfer orders are right." he grumbled, hoping the Vulcan could hear him. "Check with Captain Lafayette over there. She'll point you to the personnel officer you need to talk to."

Dylan jerked a thumb over shoulder to the approximate location of the Captain. Not that she was Captain of anything... but she still held rank, until her court-martial for losing a ship.

[Lounge]

"I see." From his tone, Mahak was still not satisfied, and Torngate's change of demeanor meant little to him. He did see the logic in reporting in to someone who was in control of their faculties, however.

"I suppose I will see you on the Athena, commander," The Vulcan said tactlessly, not having known that the ship was destroyed. His transfer orders had been put into effect before the events with the Borg cube.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Mahak on March 02, 2017, 02:22:41 PM

[Lounge]

"I see." From his tone, Mahak was still not satisfied, and Torngate's change of demeanor meant little to him. He did see the logic in reporting in to someone who was in control of their faculties, however.

"I suppose I will see you on the Athena, commander," The Vulcan said tactlessly, not having known that the ship was destroyed. His transfer orders had been put into effect before the events with the Borg cube.

[Lounge]

Just then, Mahak had said the absolute worst thing he could have. That comment drove into his soul, driving Dylan almost insane with it. "Yeah. Right." he said, standing. "The Athena. En Cee Cee Three One Four One Five." he said, advancing slowly on the Vulcan. "Don't you have any IDEA what just happened to the Athena? The ATHENA Is a cloud of SPACEDUST, Mister Mahak. In case you hadn't noticed, THAT'S WHY WE ARE HERE" He said, a strange mixture of a soft yell and an angry, dangerous tone. Another shuttle few by from the wreckage site, towing a piece of hull plating. "THAT'S the ATHENA, Mister Mahak. That's the largest piece of her I've SEEN. So no, YOU WON'T BE SEEING ME ON THE DAMN ATHENA." he yelled, now at full volume in the face of the Vulcan, the odors of too much drink probably evident to the Vulcan.

Dylan turned and worked his way back in the odd silence that followed, tears now filling his eyes as he walked over and fetched the closest bulkhead a kick and a punch, which did nothing but cause him pain and a slight bit of an outlet before the emotions overwhelmed him and he slid down the wall and curled up in a ball, sitting, unmoving, and staring off into space again.

Shadow Fleet

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on March 02, 2017, 02:30:47 PM

[Lounge]

Just then, Mahak had said the absolute worst thing he could have. That comment drove into his soul, driving Dylan almost insane with it. "Yeah. Right." he said, standing. "The Athena. En Cee Cee Three One Four One Five." he said, advancing slowly on the Vulcan. "Don't you have any IDEA what just happened to the Athena? The ATHENA Is a cloud of SPACEDUST, Mister Mahak. In case you hadn't noticed, THAT'S WHY WE ARE HERE" He said, a strange mixture of a soft yell and an angry, dangerous tone. Another shuttle few by from the wreckage site, towing a piece of hull plating. "THAT'S the ATHENA, Mister Mahak. That's the largest piece of her I've SEEN. So no, YOU WON'T BE SEEING ME ON THE DAMN ATHENA." he yelled, now at full volume in the face of the Vulcan, the odors of too much drink probably evident to the Vulcan.

Dylan turned and worked his way back in the odd silence that followed, tears now filling his eyes as he walked over and fetched the closest bulkhead a kick and a punch, which did nothing but cause him pain and a slight bit of an outlet before the emotions overwhelmed him and he slid down the wall and curled up in a ball, sitting, unmoving, and staring off into space again.

[Lounge]

Mahak visibly flinched at the sudden sound, but other than that he was entirely calm. He had been screamed at by other humans before. Vulcans were far more what humans would call 'cruel' when it came to training and reprimanding. But still, it was unwelcome, and the human seemed typically upset and violent. Mahak resolved not to bother him anymore.

He would never understand the human penchant for attaching sentimental value to inanimate objects. The Athena was only a ship, an Intrepid class vessel that had been a mere collection of bulkheads, conduits, and other replaceable things. And yet a second officer in Starfleet felt it was enough to loose his composure over. Mahak shook his head at Torngate's retreating back.

Perhaps he should wait to report in to anyone else, if this was going to be the response from the Athena's humans.

James Carter

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on March 02, 2017, 02:30:47 PM

[Lounge]

[Observation Lounge 4]

James quickly looked back to see what was happening. A new Vulcan crewman had arrived, he'd done his due diligence enough to know that this was Mahak, a new transfer to the Athena's crew. He had to wonder what caused Dylan to freak out and quickly figured it out. Swiftly Carter stepped in front of Dylan and began to speak. "Hey, let's settle down yeah? When you leave here you need to get yourself sobered up." He could smell the liquor on Torngate as he spoke. His spoke in a hushed but commanding tone, his authority clear from both his voice and stature. "What you do on your free time is your business, but if it causes outbursts like this it starts being my business." James shook his head before walking over to Mahak and speaking again.

Quote from: Mahak on March 02, 2017, 02:38:06 PM

[Lounge]

Mahak visibly flinched at the sudden sound, but other than that he was entirely calm. He had been screamed at by other humans before. Vulcans were far more what humans would call 'cruel' when it came to training and reprimanding. But still, it was unwelcome, and the human seemed typically upset and violent. Mahak resolved not to bother him anymore.

He would never understand the human penchant for attaching sentimental value to inanimate objects. The Athena was only a ship, an Intrepid class vessel that had been a mere collection of bulkheads, conduits, and other replaceable things. And yet a second officer in Starfleet felt it was enough to loose his composure over. Mahak shook his head at Torngate's retreating back.

Perhaps he should wait to report in to anyone else, if this was going to be the response from the Athena's humans.

James quickly approached and came to stand directly in front of Mahak. "Crewman Mahak I would presume. I'm Commander James Carter, I've read over your file and wanted to welcome you to the most resilient crew in the galaxy."

Anastasia Volzhin

[Lounge]

The past two weeks have been rough for Anastasia: after that run-in with a cube that ended in disaster, forcing the Kandahar to retrieve the escape pods, and her superiors being endlessly questioned over every single detail of the operation, which may or may not have included any description of her use of pattern enhancers, she was sick as a dog during that time, more so while she was on the Zeus, but they fell into a trap. While, of course, she is grateful for these pattern enhancers, she spent more time recovering from that infamous away mission than actually doing anything with the fruits, however ill-begotten, of the mission, perhaps because she was deemed medically impaired as a result of the infestation she suffered onboard. May the crew at the base actually make sense of all the technical data I got from the data node onboard the cube, she thought, while she knew clearly that there was nothing she could do that could have helped. She arrives at the lounge, where several of the other crewmembers of that accursed ship were assembled at.

"If you may excuse me, you should be grateful for the pattern enhancers, but this unfortunately means that we cannot assume that they will work if we have to infiltrate Borg facilities again. Then again the Borg are not an enemy to be trifled with, and perhaps there truly was little we could have done differently, or at least I"

Constance Lafayette

[Observation Lounge 4]

"Gentlemen, thank you for coming on such short notice and I appreciate your patience and candidness with with inquiries you have no doubt been subjected to." Constance said flatly, turning to face them. She looked as good as new, which was rather disconcerting considering the state they had left her in.

"Before we begin, there is a small matter of decorum I need to address." She said in her same flat tone, her arms still loosely held behind her back.

"Mr. Torngate. You will be professional or I will return you to the airlock though which I heard you departed the good ship Athena though. I have no problem replacing the drunk or the rowdy with a more capable officer and I expect more from you."

Her tone was not harsh but still stung like a wasp.

"We have been given new orders and I have been asked to pass commendations to both of you as well as the other members of our fine crew." She said, her face all business.

"The efforts we made on the behalf of the Federation will not soon be forgotten, despite the price we paid."

This had been the result of the many inquests and writeups she'd been subjected too, even in her medical state in the last two weeks. The value of the information and technology they had brought to the Federation's scientists was beyond valuable and earned them enough good will to sweep any misgivings they may have had under the rug.

"We are to depart immediately. Our new ship has just arrived, fresh from the Antares Ship Yards." She explained, giving them a nod.

"Her Captain is to be myself with Mr. Carter serving once again as my first officer. Mr. Torgate, despite your state, you will remain on as our Second Officer. You will find all the paperwork and specs on your PADDs. However..." She said and turned back to look at the giant Vesta class before them, "I believe you will find our ship rather familiar. And you will no doubt become all the more familiar with her changes on her shakedown cruise."

As she spoke she turned to watch the Vesta class ship turn and begin to depart the station. She swung slowly out and jumped to warp, leaving the station behind. In her place, previously obscured by the monstrous Vesta class vessel was a small ship. She had the sleek, round, lines of the Intrepid class but sported a thinner profile in her secondary hull. Her nacelle supports were wider and the nacelles themselves sported two downward turned "fins" that would stand vertically when they were brought into their raised position for warp.

"Gentleman. I give to you the USS Athena - A. She is an Intrepid refit- the first of her kind. She was designed, from the ground up, as a research and development ship and features the latest advances Starfleet has to offer."

Constance was now beaming, a rare expression for the dower Captain.

"Scientific though- our greatest challenge. These will be the voyages of the starship Athena. Its new mission: to employ fantastic new technologies, to test theories, and to transgress realms of thought where only the gods of old once dared- to boldly go where no man has gone before."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.