How do you get from the lower hull to Primary hull on an Oberth class ship?

Started by Lizzie Vaughan, June 21, 2018, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizzie Vaughan

From the way this ship is set up, I can see no way, except for transporters, to get from the lower hull to the upper hull. Does anyone have any facts as to how?

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Memory Alpha does say it's only got reinforcement pylons. But it also has this picture.

Solluk

Ex astris Scientia has some excellent musings on the Oberth.

But how you get to the lower hull depends on what you accept as the appropriate size of the ship.

The answers range from:

1) You can not get to the secondary hull of the ship, because at scale X the pylons are too small.  Perhaps you could transport in.

2) You can just barely get to the secondary hull of the ship at scale Y, if the turbolift tilts and you squint a bit.

3) If you simply scale up the ship to scale Z, then you can get through the pylons no problem.

I am of the opinion that the Oberth looks fantastic, but wasn't completely thought through, and it would probably be difficult if not impossible to physically traverse the pylons to the secondary hull.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Solluk

Here is a link to Ex Astris Scientia's excellent Oberth article.

One need not agree with all of their conclusions to appreciate the amount of thought they have given the topic.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/oberth-size.htm

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Kirok

I assumed that there was a lift on both side that got people from upper to lower and lower to upper.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Jebediah Schrock

It actually would make a great design for a prison ship, when you think about it. If you put all the key systems in one hull, and criminals in the other, they're clearly separated from each other.

I may fall down on my face almost every day, but I always get back up with a smile on my face.
~Alt of Judy Eastman~

Dylan Torngate

This question is one of the reasons I think of the Oberth as simply the worst design I've ever seen in any scifi and I hate it so much.

Because the question is right, how do you get there? Are there transporters that beam you back and forth?

Is it not capable of supporting life?

Are there turboshafts in the tiny pylons that zig-zag back and forth all the way up and down?

Does the crew make sure never to skip leg day by making you crawl the whole way?

Is there a trampoline and airlock that jumps from one to another?

It's such a crazy design that I don't think any thought went into other than "Baby ship that can't take care of itself".

I just feel they could have done better.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.