Author Topic: My Star Trek story  (Read 952 times)

Offline D'Vid

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running
    • View Profile
    • Awards
My Star Trek story
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:35:30 am »
When I used to be little and young. Scary. Really I was young once, but my heart is still young.

I think I was 14 years old or younger. The days of dials on television. I even had a BLACK AND WHITE small tv. Scary. Black and White. I think we had about 14 stations. I don't recall.

Anyways I loved Star Trek so much I wanted to stay up and watch it. My mom told me to go to bed. Well, I was determine to watch Star Trek. And LORD I had a huge crush on CHECKOV but I was a huge fan.

I used to put a cover over my TV, adjust the lighting low as I can. I was even getting bad reception too. BUT I was so determined to watch it. And she never caught me.

So yeah that was my CRAZY Star Trek story.

I could got the blanket caught on fire too.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My Star Trek story
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:42:38 am »
My dad got my sister and I into Trek. We'd all gather around the TV when ever TOS came on. I was hooked the first time I watched. I remember watching Space Seed first. It was simply amazing.

As I got older, I got the whole series on DVD as well as The Animated Series. Later, I started getting into Enterprise when it was on SciFi (now it's spelled SyFy for those keeping score at home).

It was around this time that the first Kelvin Timeline film debuted. I saw it a personal record 7 times in theaters, much to the chagrin of my ex-wife lol.

Last summer I finally watched TNG start to finish after only seeing an episode here and there. I'm currently in Season 3 of DS9. I haven't found an episode I haven't liked. I'm also watching an episode here and there of VOY.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:06 pm »

Hello!

My father was a big fan of Star Trek, having watched it when it originally aired.   But it was the magic of low-budget UHF stations that brought Star Trek into my world.

You see, when I was a youngster back in the late 70's and early 80's, UHF stations were fairly poorly funded television channels in the 29-39 channel range (at least, in my area.)

Because they couldn't afford original content, they didn't have proprietary shows like the big channels did.  Channels 4, 6, 7, and 10 in my area had their own shows with huge audiences.  But channels 29-39 could only afford to purchase the rights to air re-runs of old television shows.   This meant I grew up watching the same sorts of television shows my Dad did.  The Lone Ranger.  Outer Limits.  Twilight Zone.  Bonanza.  Gunsmoke.  The Wild, Wild West.  I Dream of Genie, Bewitched, Land of the Giants.  Lost in Space.  And... Star Trek.

When I first watched Star Trek I was not able to grasp all the nuances of the plots.  I could see there was space ships and aliens, and sometimes there'd be a weird adventure where the crew was attacked by weird-looking flying pancakes. 

As I grew older, I understood more and more of what was going on.  It quickly became apparent to me that Star Trek was the very best of these old Sci-Fi shows.  Then, around 1987 when I was twelve or thirteen, Star Trek the Next Generation came onto televisions.  I would later come to understand that the first season was sub-par, but at the time I was amazed.  It was so very futuristic, with interesting new concepts and actors.  Sometimes I would note a TOS era episode that was repackaged for TNG.

It was during the run of TNG that I became aware of Star Trek conventions for the first time, and went to them occasionally with my father.   I saw James Doohan, who surprised me by not having a Scottish accent.   I saw George Takei, who surprised me with his ability to speak fluent Spanish to my father.  I saw Marina Sirtis, too, who shared entertaining stories about working with her castmates, including a naughty tale about young Wesley Crusher.  Hers was another accent that caught me by surprise.   I believe I saw her at the last Star Trek convention I ever attended, which was held shortly after the TNG episode 'Pegasus' aired.  I remember my father and I talking about how stupid the Federation was to swear off cloaking technology, handing a technological advantage to their adversaries.  I must have been 18 or 19 at that time, and still living at home while attending college.

Often when I think of the best moments I spent with my father, Trek was at the heart of it.  I think that is one of the reasons I love it so much.  It was something we often shared.  I am in my 40's now, and whenever I am able to get time off to visit the city of my birth, Trek is frequently one of the first things my father and I will speak of.

Cheers! 
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:03:19 am »
So I grew up with my dad kind of casually liking Trek. He showed us the movies as a kid and I remember watching some on TV once in awhile (I think mostly TOS).

Later on (end of elementary school maybe?) I would come home and Next Gen was on as SOON as I got home (I would have to run from the bus stop to catch it) and they did 2 episodes in a row if I remember. Since it was like reruns it wasn't in order and I didn't catch all of them.

In middle school, when I started saying up later and had access to a PC I would watch Voyager and Enterprise at night.

Years later, in my late teens, I went though and would watch complete series. I, somewhat recently, made it a point to go through ALL of DS9 and Enterprise. While I've seen a lot of TOS I am now going through it all the way on Netflix.

I dunno- I just always felt it was a very interesting high concept series where interesting philosophical and moral scenarios could play out on the backdrop of high scifi.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles