Author Topic: Mission 1.8: Cubed  (Read 37596 times)

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mission 1.8: Cubed
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:39 pm »
{Bridge}

That name elicited a visible, involuntary, twitch on her forehead- just above the left eyebrow. It took her a two seconds to respond, but by then Luke had already left in the Turbolift.

She said like an irate teacher but the doors closed and no further words could reach him. She stopped for a moment, simmered, shook her head, then smiled. Only those you love could really push your buttons.

=/\= Courier ships were rare but some folks liked to send their supplies to Risa by hand so it wasn't uncommon.

Down in the transporter room the crewman held the thick wrapped, lumpy, package at arms length. It smelled like... mildew and spoiled tomato sauce. The note, clearly visible on the front read,

The man shrugged and beamed it to Luke's temporary quarters on the Athena.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 07:21:07 pm »
[Mess]

Stafford's legs ate up the distance on the decks of the Athena. He'd forgotten how small and contained starships were, relatively speaking. Just making his way across the flight deck on the Columbus made his hip felt as if it were on fire. Within the confines of the Athena, it felt like a walk in the park.

He entered the Mess Hall and took it in. There were plenty of restaurants on the starbase that were smaller, but they were all owned by civilians. There was also a Starfleet Dining Facility on the Columbus, but few patronized it with so much other food available. And so the Mess was almost as much a marvel as the passageways.

"Ash? Ashlynn?" The older man asked, voice carrying across the room. "You around?"

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
{Bridge}

That name elicited a visible, involuntary, twitch on her forehead- just above the left eyebrow. It took her a two seconds to respond, but by then Luke had already left in the Turbolift.

She said like an irate teacher but the doors closed and no further words could reach him. She stopped for a moment, simmered, shook her head, then smiled. Only those you love could really push your buttons.

=/\= Courier ships were rare but some folks liked to send their supplies to Risa by hand so it wasn't uncommon.

Down in the transporter room the crewman held the thick wrapped, lumpy, package at arms length. It smelled like... mildew and spoiled tomato sauce. The note, clearly visible on the front read,

The man shrugged and beamed it to Luke's temporary quarters on the Athena.

[Bridge]

James offered a nod before taking his seat back grabbing his PADD. "I think I can bring our requisition budget back down to around 13%. I think we can cut out some requisition of phasers by adding a maintenance shift twice a week to the armory. We probably should have done this to begin with, but keeping everything there in top shape will prevent breakdowns and subsequent requisitions in the future." The man said matter-of-factly.

Offline Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 01:30:54 am »
[Mess Hall]

Ash wiped her hands on her apron as she stepped back to admire her handiwork. With everything ready and baking for mealtime, she had used her free time to attempt a few... fun... creations. Seeing as they'd be restocking at the starbase, Captain Lafayette had given Ash permission to be "somewhat exorbitant" with the menu since Commander - no, Captain - Stafford would be visiting. He won't be disappointed...

The counter in front of Ash was lined with exquisite desserts. Chocolate covered strawberry cheesecake tarts. Freshly powdered beignets with honey drizzled on top. Blackberry coconut cupcakes. Peanut butter cup trifle. A cherry pie that (somehow) was shaped in the likeness of the Starfleet insignia. A tray of creatively decorated Italian-style cannolis. Chocolate mousse with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and raspberries on top. And a glazed blueberry lemon pound cake that Ash was planning on "sampling" with her tea.

Ash was a mess in comparison, with her wild hair and berry-stained hands. Flour was also speckled across her clothes, and, unbeknownst to her, a smear of chocolate stood out on her left cheek. But her smile still lit up her face as she took it all in; she had been sleeping far better since Danny was incapacitated, she was going to visit with Luke today AND she got to satisfy her sweet tooth. She moved to the sink and turned on the water, but before she could grab the soap, she heard someone calling in the hall.

[Mess]

Stafford's legs ate up the distance on the decks of the Athena. He'd forgotten how small and contained starships were, relatively speaking. Just making his way across the flight deck on the Columbus made his hip felt as if it were on fire. Within the confines of the Athena, it felt like a walk in the park.

He entered the Mess Hall and took it in. There were plenty of restaurants on the starbase that were smaller, but they were all owned by civilians. There was also a Starfleet Dining Facility on the Columbus, but few patronized it with so much other food available. And so the Mess was almost as much a marvel as the passageways.

"Ash? Ashlynn?" The older man asked, voice carrying across the room. "You around?"

Ash turned off the water and peered out into the sitting area, where she spotted - "Luke!! You're here!" She ran over to the man and pulled him into a fierce hug. "I didn't think you'd be here until later! Or maybe it is later. I seem to have lost track of time in my kitchen fortress."

She pulled back and looked him over. He was considerably tanner than last time she had seen him. And he looked completely healed with the exception of his cane. "You look great! Life on the starbase seems to be suiting you well. Can you stay and chat for a bit? I'm sure you've got some stories to share. Or I can grab you something if you're hungry?"

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 01:42:06 am »
[Mess Hall]

Ash turned off the water and peered out into the sitting area, where she spotted - "Luke!! You're here!" She ran over to the man and pulled him into a fierce hug. "I didn't think you'd be here until later! Or maybe it is later. I seem to have lost track of time in my kitchen fortress."

She pulled back and looked him over. He was considerably tanner than last time she had seen him. And he looked completely healed with the exception of his cane. "You look great! Life on the starbase seems to be suiting you well. Can you stay and chat for a bit? I'm sure you've got some stories to share. Or I can grab you something if you're hungry?"

[Mess Hall]

Stafford's face lit up at the sight of his friend. He returned her hug gladly. It occurred to him that Ash was a unique young woman. She did her job here on the Athena and worked hard. But she answered to very few. She had no admiral to report to, no paperwork, no promotions and no deadlines. Ash was free.

And maybe he envied her a little bit. He looked hale enough for a man his age, but he still appeared a dozen years older than he was. At least.

"Ravenous weasels couldn't keep me away. And no, don't serve me. I am not comfortable with it." Stafford helped himself to a slice of lemon meringue pie. "I'll get my own coffee, too. I know you like your tea but I've always been a coffee man. What can I get you? I know you're busy. Grab a seat. You have to tell me all about your adventures for the last four months."

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 02:53:57 am »
[Mess Hall]

Stafford's face lit up at the sight of his friend. He returned her hug gladly. It occurred to him that Ash was a unique young woman. She did her job here on the Athena and worked hard. But she answered to very few. She had no admiral to report to, no paperwork, no promotions and no deadlines. Ash was free.

And maybe he envied her a little bit. He looked hale enough for a man his age, but he still appeared a dozen years older than he was. At least.

"Ravenous weasels couldn't keep me away. And no, don't serve me. I am not comfortable with it." Stafford helped himself to a slice of lemon meringue pie. "I'll get my own coffee, too. I know you like your tea but I've always been a coffee man. What can I get you? I know you're busy. Grab a seat. You have to tell me all about your adventures for the last four months."

[Mess Hall]

Ash chuckled a bit at Luke's protestations, shaking her head. "I figured you wouldn't let me, but I had to at least try. Don't worry about me though; I'll serve myself, too. I can't let you completely take over my job after all. She shot him a mischievous grin before ducking back into the kitchen area. It didn't take her long to come back out with a tray holding her kettle, cups, silverware for both of them, and a loaf of the blueberry lemon cake.

She moved over to a table in the corner and sat down. She couldn't help but remember when she had first met Luke: a different table, different circumstances, but the same wonderful conversation - conversation that in her early days on the Athena kept the loneliness of her new surroundings at bay. She returned to the present as Luke sat down. "Now, before you say anything chastising me for bringing you something, this cake is all for me. I won't be able to stop you from stealing a piece, of course, but there's nothing to be done there." She offered a sly grin in his direction as she cut herself a piece and set it next to her cup of rose earl grey.

"So. You want to hear about the adventures of a lowly mess hall manager? You must have been truly bored on your vacation if you're interested in that." Ash was teasing him with a smile on her face, but internally she was a little hesitant. Her thoughts flashed to Danny and she bit her lip a little, but decided to start off with some lighter adventures.

"Hmmm..." Ash took a slow sip of her tea as she thought about the past four months. "Well, you were here for The Great Frying Pan Incident, so I guess I should start after that..." And then she started talking. First about Dylan and how he had helped her restore the mess hall to its current glory and become her close friend in the process. Then a little about the kerfuffle with Mog and how she had ended up stabbing Constance - well, a cyborg, mirror version of her anyways. How Spock and the rest of the crew of the Enterprise ended up as surprise guests for Christmas dinner. A brief mention of her success in making a third friend (she was on a roll now) in Catrin, the ship's counselor. And a lot of time geeking out about the HMS Athena.

"... It was amazing, Luke. Like I was living inside one of my adventures. Gruff pirates, ocean storms, and all. And the ocean! Oh, the ocean. It was exhilarating... Even if I was stuck dressed as a tavern wench the entire time. You, however, would have looked absolutely posh in one of the uniforms." She smiled again at the memory, but hesitated before continuing.

She hadn't glossed over much in her storytelling, preferring to give Luke everything, good and bad, but there was one person she had consistently left out. One person she'd prefer to forget and definitely didn't want to talk about. But it was Luke, she knew she had to tell him. She took a deep breath and exhaled, cradling her second cup of tea in her hands where it's familiar warmth was a comforting reassurance. "There's one other thing... Has Captain Lafayette told you anything about Danny?"

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 10:31:36 am »
[Mess Hall]

Ash chuckled a bit at Luke's protestations, shaking her head. "I figured you wouldn't let me, but I had to at least try. Don't worry about me though; I'll serve myself, too. I can't let you completely take over my job after all. She shot him a mischievous grin before ducking back into the kitchen area. It didn't take her long to come back out with a tray holding her kettle, cups, silverware for both of them, and a loaf of the blueberry lemon cake.

She moved over to a table in the corner and sat down. She couldn't help but remember when she had first met Luke: a different table, different circumstances, but the same wonderful conversation - conversation that in her early days on the Athena kept the loneliness of her new surroundings at bay. She returned to the present as Luke sat down. "Now, before you say anything chastising me for bringing you something, this cake is all for me. I won't be able to stop you from stealing a piece, of course, but there's nothing to be done there." She offered a sly grin in his direction as she cut herself a piece and set it next to her cup of rose earl grey.

"So. You want to hear about the adventures of a lowly mess hall manager? You must have been truly bored on your vacation if you're interested in that." Ash was teasing him with a smile on her face, but internally she was a little hesitant. Her thoughts flashed to Danny and she bit her lip a little, but decided to start off with some lighter adventures.

"Hmmm..." Ash took a slow sip of her tea as she thought about the past four months. "Well, you were here for The Great Frying Pan Incident, so I guess I should start after that..." And then she started talking. First about Dylan and how he had helped her restore the mess hall to its current glory and become her close friend in the process. Then a little about the kerfuffle with Mog and how she had ended up stabbing Constance - well, a cyborg, mirror version of her anyways. How Spock and the rest of the crew of the Enterprise ended up as surprise guests for Christmas dinner. A brief mention of her success in making a third friend (she was on a roll now) in Catrin, the ship's counselor. And a lot of time geeking out about the HMS Athena.

"... It was amazing, Luke. Like I was living inside one of my adventures. Gruff pirates, ocean storms, and all. And the ocean! Oh, the ocean. It was exhilarating... Even if I was stuck dressed as a tavern wench the entire time. You, however, would have looked absolutely posh in one of the uniforms." She smiled again at the memory, but hesitated before continuing.

She hadn't glossed over much in her storytelling, preferring to give Luke everything, good and bad, but there was one person she had consistently left out. One person she'd prefer to forget and definitely didn't want to talk about. But it was Luke, she knew she had to tell him. She took a deep breath and exhaled, cradling her second cup of tea in her hands where it's familiar warmth was a comforting reassurance. "There's one other thing... Has Captain Lafayette told you anything about Danny?"

[Mess Hall]

Stafford smiled as Ash began to talk. He wolfed down his pie and sipped at the coffee.

He listened to her stories. Sometimes he laughed, a few times he'd reached out and touched the back of Ash's hand or her arm reassuringly.

Stafford snuck a piece of her bread and munched on it while he heard her talk about herself and the Athena. He wished he could see the galaxy through her eyes, experience it as he did when he was her age.

His coffee was long gone by the time she winded down. He refilled it himself and blew over it to cool it.

"I haven't had the chance to read many mission reports, Ash." Stafford told her. "Tell me about Danny."

Offline Catrin Maddux

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Don't you forget about me.
  • Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 09:21:42 pm »
(Bridge)

"That, my dear," Leo began, "controls the pitch, or up and down motion of the ship."

He heard the turbolift doors swoosh open. He turned his head and saw now Captain Stafford. He turned back to Cat.

"Well, looks like I'll hafta cut this short babes."

[Bridge]

"Sending me on with just a 'now off you pop,' are ya?" Cat teased, her light tone made it apparent. She ruffled his hair affectionately, as a more overt display would be frowned upon, given their location. She gave a friendly nod to the Captain and took her leave from the bridge. Once in the hallway she allowed herself a yawn and a bit of a stretch. Perhaps a coffee and a nice treat in the Mess Hall was due. Maybe Ash could use some company or a hand in the kitchen. She grinned and made her way to Ash.

[Mess Hall]

Cat entered the Mess Hall, preceded by Trip the Tribble. The little furball was now a fairly common sight on the ship. She hoped Dylan wasn't around, he's give her hell for sure, knowing his views of the species. The tribble hopped along with happy little burbles, stopping finally on Ash's foot. Belatedly, she noticed Ash was in conversation with the visiting Captain Stafford.

"Ah, it looks as though I've come at a bad time. I'm sorry for interrupting." She tried whistling for the tribble, but he showed no signs of returning. Cheeky little bugger.

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 11:14:39 pm »
[Engineering]

Dylan was pretty much done working for now. He finished the bit of paperwork he was on and decided to take some time off. He went to the holodeck and turned it on, powering up his usual time-killing program, baseball. He dove into spectator mode this time, able to freeze and walk around, all objects- such as the ball itself, passing right through him. He walked out and stood essentially where the umpire would, and then had an idea.

"Computer" he said, as the machine responded with the telltale beep. "Replace the Umpire with me, change mode accordingly."

He then took the place of the man and the game started, as Dylan served as umpire for a randomly generated game. He soon lost himself in the game again, and started focusing on the game only.
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 04:30:28 am »
{Bridge}

(Bridge)

"Aye ma'am," Leo responded. "Course plotted and laid in. It shouldn't take much time at all."

There wasn't much else to do since Cat had left. He started to him a tune randomly.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 06:30:36 am »
[Mess Hall]

Stafford smiled as Ash began to talk. He wolfed down his pie and sipped at the coffee.

He listened to her stories. Sometimes he laughed, a few times he'd reached out and touched the back of Ash's hand or her arm reassuringly.

Stafford snuck a piece of her bread and munched on it while he heard her talk about herself and the Athena. He wished he could see the galaxy through her eyes, experience it as he did when he was her age.

His coffee was long gone by the time she winded down. He refilled it himself and blew over it to cool it.

"I haven't had the chance to read many mission reports, Ash." Stafford told her. "Tell me about Danny."

[Mess Hall]

Ash exhaled slowly and took another long sip of her tea, trying to think of the best way to go about this. "Well..." she began slowly, "I've managed to get myself in a bit of a situation... Umm, a situation involving... a borg." She kept her eyes fixed on her tea, worried about how Luke might respond. Her curiosity got her into trouble pretty regularly, but never anything like that.

Before she could elaborate further, Ash was cut short by the appearance of a familiar tribble on her foot.

[Mess Hall]

Cat entered the Mess Hall, preceded by Trip the Tribble. The little furball was now a fairly common sight on the ship. She hoped Dylan wasn't around, he's give her hell for sure, knowing his views of the species. The tribble hopped along with happy little burbles, stopping finally on Ash's foot. Belatedly, she noticed Ash was in conversation with the visiting Captain Stafford.

"Ah, it looks as though I've come at a bad time. I'm sorry for interrupting." She tried whistling for the tribble, but he showed no signs of returning. Cheeky little bugger.

Ash instantly brightened again. "Cat! No, no, don't worry about it! We were just catching up; you're totally welcome to join us!" Ash looked down and picked up the ball of fuzziness on her foot and set it on her shoulder with a smile. "You're welcome as well, Trip. You're just lucky Dylan isn't here, you little floof. I've got some rose earl grey here, Cat, if you wanted some - oh, and I've got a few... surprises in the kitchen. You should definitely check it out. I think you'll enjoy it." Ash offered Cat a mischievous smile, knowing she had a sweet tooth almost as big as her own; she'd definitely enjoy it.

As Cat moved off towards the kitchen, Ash offered Luke a look that said, "we can talk about this later." She was secretly relieved for the change of topic; she didn't want to ruin her good mood by having to think about Danny just now. And with Luke AND Cat here, the only thing that could make things better would be if Dylan showed up as well.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 12:55:12 pm »
[Bridge]

"Sending me on with just a 'now off you pop,' are ya?" Cat teased, her light tone made it apparent. She ruffled his hair affectionately, as a more overt display would be frowned upon, given their location. She gave a friendly nod to the Captain and took her leave from the bridge. Once in the hallway she allowed herself a yawn and a bit of a stretch. Perhaps a coffee and a nice treat in the Mess Hall was due. Maybe Ash could use some company or a hand in the kitchen. She grinned and made her way to Ash.

[Mess Hall]

[Mess Hall]

Ash exhaled slowly and took another long sip of her tea, trying to think of the best way to go about this. "Well..." she began slowly, "I've managed to get myself in a bit of a situation... Umm, a situation involving... a borg." She kept her eyes fixed on her tea, worried about how Luke might respond. Her curiosity got her into trouble pretty regularly, but never anything like that.

Before she could elaborate further, Ash was cut short by the appearance of a familiar tribble on her foot.

Ash instantly brightened again. "Cat! No, no, don't worry about it! We were just catching up; you're totally welcome to join us!" Ash looked down and picked up the ball of fuzziness on her foot and set it on her shoulder with a smile. "You're welcome as well, Trip. You're just lucky Dylan isn't here, you little floof. I've got some rose earl grey here, Cat, if you wanted some - oh, and I've got a few... surprises in the kitchen. You should definitely check it out. I think you'll enjoy it." Ash offered Cat a mischievous smile, knowing she had a sweet tooth almost as big as her own; she'd definitely enjoy it.

As Cat moved off towards the kitchen, Ash offered Luke a look that said, "we can talk about this later." She was secretly relieved for the change of topic; she didn't want to ruin her good mood by having to think about Danny just now. And with Luke AND Cat here, the only thing that could make things better would be if Dylan showed up as well.

[Mess Hall]

Stafford listened attentively to Ash, his coffee long since forgotten. The Borg? He had not heard anything about this. It might be classified. He was a bit uncomfortable that his friend might be speaking out of turn.

He too was relieved when someone else showed up. Stafford smiled at the pretty young officer. The captain was a grizzled, meager looking older fellow. But when he smiled and his eyes twinkled it took a few years off his face

"A tribble? I haven't seen one of these in a long time." Stafford said. "Hello Lieutenant. Cat, is it? I'm Luke Stafford. I was formerly executive officer here until Captain Lafayette realized she could only get rid of me by promoting me."

Offline Selden Perren Mestral

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • My attempt at snow sports needed Elton John music
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2017, 03:16:29 pm »
Rocket walked down the hall, attempting to redo her messed up hair. She had just split up a fight between two crew members: one had thought that the other was a pirate who had somehow gotten on the starship. I wonder if I should recomend that guy for counseling. she thought, giving up on her ponytail and letting her hair down. Deciding that it was best to do so, she jogged over to the turbolift.

As she rode down, she thought about her home in New York City. She remebered how her mom used to paint pictures of central park, while her dad put toy boats on the pond and her sister played softball. She hadn't even been away from home for a year, but the events on the starship Athena made it seem a lot longer than it was. Pushing away her homesickness, she fiddled with her hair, wondering if she should get it cut.

The turbolift opened, and Rocket walked down the deck towards the councilor's office. As she walked by the holodeck, she noticed that someone was in it. She could hear the sounds of bats on balls and announcers telling the score. Curious, she poked her head in.

[Engineering]

Dylan was pretty much done working for now. He finished the bit of paperwork he was on and decided to take some time off. He went to the holodeck and turned it on, powering up his usual time-killing program, baseball. He dove into spectator mode this time, able to freeze and walk around, all objects- such as the ball itself, passing right through him. He walked out and stood essentially where the umpire would, and then had an idea.

"Computer" he said, as the machine responded with the telltale beep. "Replace the Umpire with me, change mode accordingly."

He then took the place of the man and the game started, as Dylan served as umpire for a randomly generated game. He soon lost himself in the game again, and started focusing on the game only.

Rocket immediately recognized the game, as her family had always been big fans of baseball. She saw the ship's engineer playing as an umpire, totally absorbed in the sport. She waved at him in greeting, hoping that he wouldn't be upset that she popped in.
Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back.
Link to Character Reference: https://www.shadowfleet.org/forum/applications-archive-396/selden-perren-mestral-reporting-in-10118/new/#new

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2017, 03:52:01 pm »
Rocket walked down the hall, attempting to redo her messed up hair. She had just split up a fight between two crew members: one had thought that the other was a pirate who had somehow gotten on the starship. I wonder if I should recomend that guy for counseling. she thought, giving up on her ponytail and letting her hair down. Deciding that it was best to do so, she jogged over to the turbolift.

As she rode down, she thought about her home in New York City. She remebered how her mom used to paint pictures of central park, while her dad put toy boats on the pond and her sister played softball. She hadn't even been away from home for a year, but the events on the starship Athena made it seem a lot longer than it was. Pushing away her homesickness, she fiddled with her hair, wondering if she should get it cut.

The turbolift opened, and Rocket walked down the deck towards the councilor's office. As she walked by the holodeck, she noticed that someone was in it. She could hear the sounds of bats on balls and announcers telling the score. Curious, she poked her head in.

Rocket immediately recognized the game, as her family had always been big fans of baseball. She saw the ship's engineer playing as an umpire, totally absorbed in the sport. She waved at him in greeting, hoping that he wouldn't be upset that she popped in.

[Holodeck]

"Out!" Dylan called, as the runner tried- and failed- to slide into second base. It was very close, but Dylan was pretty sure in his call. Following the programming, the scoreboard updating, the red bulbs for the "outs" now blazing two. The crowd reacted in kind, some booing, some cheering, and others just screaming because they could. The score was four to three in the bottom of the fifth. Two men on, and a third coming up to bat. The aroma was just as it should be, and the environment was almost perfect.

Though on some days Dylan might have preferred to take on the sport, today he felt like not playing, and observing the scenarios around him as the umpire. The next batter walked up, and Dylan resumed his position between second and first bases, watching. With a man on first and third, and the team at-bat down by one, what Dylan would have done was to aim for either a hard hit outside the park or a line drive down one of the foul lines. They only needed a base hit to get this game tied. What happened next, however, was very different from what he had expected.

The runner on first faked a steal, starting to move toward second. The instant the player moved, it was called out by the first baseman. The pitcher heard, and turned, firing the ball straight to second faster than a rocket, as the runner on first doubled back. By that time, the runner on third was halfway toward home. Before the fielders could react, the second baseman had fired the ball at first, trying to cut off the runner, to no avail. By now, the runner was almost home as the catcher called out in futility. The ball was quickly spun and shot toward Home, as the runner at home dove headfirst into home, barreling over the catcher as he dove, the ball reaching the catcher a half second too late. Run scored. The pitcher screamed for interference, but Dylan shook his head. The programming and reactions were very human, almost perfectly so. With the argument presented and denied, the game continued, the gutsy play having payed off.

Dylan saw the holodeck open, and as the next play resulted in the third out, called the out. The ball was a line drive straight toward the center fielder, who ran backwards and caught the ball off of an off-leg jump. Keeping possession, as the teams filed into their respective dugouts to receive their gear and switch sides. An announcer's voice boomed over them. "And a terrific play by Peterson sends us into the top of the sixth, with one left on. It's four four today at Great American Ballpark!"

Indeed, the field around them was a perfect imitation of the field, before it had been destroyed in the nuclear wars of Earth's past. Dylan waved back at the figure who had entered the deck. As if it had been planned, one of the teams called a timeout, and Dylan was more than willing to oblige. He walked over to the new arrival, a foolish grin on his face. He wasn't in his Starfleet uniform anymore, he had sometime changed into appropriate clothes for his role.

"Ms. Rose. Welcome to my little corner of the galaxy." He said with a chuckle. He wasn't upset at all with her coming, he did feel a bit self-conscious about how into the game he'd been. "What can I do for you?"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:50:25 pm by Dylan Torngate »
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 09:46:35 pm »
{Bridge}

Constance nodded to James's suggestion but said,

The ship got underway and in no time at all they were out of the system, traveling at warp speeds under Leonard's careful guidance.

deactivated like the probe suggested. It was more likely a trap and she knew that Admiral Nadin knew it too. He was just reporting the facts to her without any of his own opinions.

She replied stonily, her jaw now set,"Helm. Lay in a course to the Theta Cygni system, maximum warp. Mr. Carter, my read room." She said bluntly, standing and tugging down her uniform a bit.

She said, a little more softly, before she entered her ready room.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 09:49:58 pm by Constance Lafayette »

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles