Star Trek scenarios

Started by Tess tLhoell, July 05, 2018, 02:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess tLhoell

Hi guys :)

I think a lot of stuff like this and I just thought I could share the ones with you, where I'm a litte stuck to find an answer or a solution. I start with two of the things that kept my mind busy recently:

If there is a planet's population, so far evolved that Starfleet makes the first contact, but those people don't want to have anything to do with the Federation, nothing at all (for certain valid reasons), do they have the right to demand for Starfleet to delete any information on the people, culture, language and so on, from their databases? And would they do it except maybe keeping the location and name of the planet?

The other question is a little trickier. Assume there is a planet with a status of development similar to the Middle Ages on Earth. Due to the concatenation of certain circumstances (which includes an accidentially left phaser gun on the planet's surface) a female inhabitant of said planet is sentenced to death by the rulers because she found the thing and accidentially stunned or killed one of the village people while she didn't even know what it was she held in her hands. The rulers accuse her to be a witch or something like that, so she flees into the woods, chased by a mob of village people that want to lynch her.
The crewman who happened to have forgotten to take his phaser with him learns of this and wants to save her, because he feels guilty beyond all measure, and wants to take her with him onboard the ship to have her apply for asylum. What are the rules here? I know there are some episodes containing this topic with requests for asylum but it has never been a memeber of an underdeveloped  race (if I'm not mistaken here?). To give it a little more dramatic touch said crewman is so inconsolable about his mistake and the woman's fate, that he insists on rather dying with her than to have her being killed and staying onboard the ship himself. What would you do?

Okay what do you say? Sorry if it became a little too fanciful xD But I'm so interested in what you think :)

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

James H. Hawk

For the first scenario, they could probably very well ask but Starfleet wouldn't be under any obligation to oblige. It would probably come down to who the Captain making contact is (or who his relevant superiors are) and what he thinks as to if the information would be deleted. I don't think Starfleet would have to oblige, though they might.

For the second one, that's tricky. The Prime Directive has some exceptions most of which aren't really clear in Cannon. One such exception, according to Memory Alpha relates to "repairing" contaminated cultures, however the scope of how much interference to repair this isn't known. Likley, the outcome of this would depend on the Captain.

A likley outcome would be that Starfleet would first attempt to retrieve the phaser covertly without any further incident, though in the event this proves impossible or unsuccessful, things would be a bit more interesting. Probably, asylum would reluctantly be granted because that's preferable than that crewman causing even more contamination by staying. Another option that some captains might go with is retrieve the phaser, subdue the crewman and force him to return and leave the woman to her death. The first option is probably most likley.

Under no circumstances could Starfleet allow that technology to stay, so whatever action they take, would have to result in its retrieval (without further contamination, so beaming it out wouldn't be an option). The concern about the woman's life would be secondary, though a more compassionate Captain would likley try and save her.

Not a bad background idea for a mission. Sounds like it could be interesting...

Tess tLhoell

Hi,

thanks for your reply :)

This is really interesting. I like this kind of mind games. I think your suggestions are very realistic. I can imagine any of those outcomes. Though I was thinking if a Captain would chose to subdue the crewman and leave the woman to her death, the crewman will have to deal with immense feelings of guilt. Although the Captain's actions would totally be valid.

Another question that occurs to me while I read through this. What consequences - if any - would await the crewman? I can imagine that it is up to the Captain again? But would believe that he would not get away with this like that? I mean in case the woman was sent down and left to her death the crewman probably would be punished enough with his guilt feelings. But if he would take the woman to the ship and ask to have her stay?

And to get the phaser without contaminating further they probably would have to dress up as village people and try to get the phaser without being caught maybe.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Naira

Tess, you should write this up as a mission submission and submit it here: https://www.shadowfleet.org/forum/index.php/board,341.0.html. Then, one of the simms can claim it and play it out as one of their missions.

Tess tLhoell

Quote from: Naira on July 06, 2018, 05:32:32 PM

Tess, you should write this up as a mission submission and submit it here: https://www.shadowfleet.org/forum/index.php/board,341.0.html. Then, one of the simms can claim it and play it out as one of their missions.

Hi Naira. Didn't know there's a thread to submit mission ideas. I think about scenarios like these a lot.
I might really submit the idea, it'd be cool if it would be played out hehe

Judith Eastman

Quote from: Tess Moreno on July 07, 2018, 02:57:17 PM

Hi Naira. Didn't know there's a thread to submit mission ideas. I think about scenarios like these a lot.
I might really submit the idea, it'd be cool if it would be played out hehe

It's a whole sub-board, in fact. Make a new thread for your idea, using the template.
https://www.shadowfleet.org/forum/index.php/board,341.0.html

Academy Civilian Instructor

"I promised, but I never promised to keep the promise" - Levi Eshkol

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.