Author Topic: Star Trek XIV news  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Star Trek XIV news
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:07:48 am »
So, apparently the next Abrams Star Trek movie was pitched by Quentin Tarantino and will be R-rated at his request:
https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

::) If he required an R-rating, then maybe, just maybe, Quentin Tarantino just wasn't at all right for Star Trek? If you can't tell a good Star Trek story for everyone, then you can't tell a good Star Trek story.

Well, I guess the Orion Syndicate is coming back in a big way...
Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Star Trek XIV news
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 03:12:47 am »
It's too early to consider any of this as being remotely a done deal.  This is more akin to when the Transformers movie invited a bunch of new talent into the writer's room to hash out new ideas to try to reinvigorate the franchise.   Nothing came of it.
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:37:17 am »
I'd be okay with a possible R rating if the plot touched on some of the darker, not entirely kid-friendly, aspects of Trek. Things involving some violence, death, assassination attempts, slavery, war, conflict and deep-seated hatred between certain species.

What I wouldn't want to see is a bunch of swearing and sex scenes that serve no real plot purpose but attempt to make it edgier and draw in young people that may otherwise not watch it because it is Trek.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 04:50:19 am »
Unfortunately, Tarantino is the person least likely to do a mature approach to any that.

I favour a kid-friendly Star Trek, really, one that's open to everyone. But I grew up with it, of course, and I like the idealism and utopianism that TNG tried to show. The more current culture is able to show such things, the more modern televised Trek is lagging behind, it seems.  :(

Thanks Solluk. Context is one thing always missing from news. :)

Offline Ardyn Jaeger

• Approved Applicants
  • Live fast, die young.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:39:45 pm »

Click the badge to read my bio

If history repeats itself, I am SO getting myself a dinosaur -- Oh wait, I did.
Alt of Kinley Garrison

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 05:02:43 pm »
I agree, I don't think Tarantino is a good choice and I don't see him taking a mature approach to the plot. I think a PG-13 approach, by someone else, would be a much better idea. However, like I said before, if someone else wanted to handle more mature topics in a Trek setting, I wouldn't be opposed to an R rated film, but it needs to be handled in a mature way that still pays tribute to the older material.

I thought about this more last night and I don't know if I could bring myself to watch something that called itself Trek if someone kept dropping f-bombs on the bridge.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 11:04:48 pm »
Hollywood has a strong tendency toward "me too!"-ism and taking the wrong lesson on board when it does. After the success of Deadpool and Logan as R-rated superhero movies, I guess lazy execs think an R-rating is needed to be successful, rather than what actually made those movies work, with humour, storytelling, and staying close to the source material. (I haven't seen Logan, so I can't say.) Deadpool is going to have a lot to answer for.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 09:00:41 am »
Please see Logan.   It is absolutely the best of the Wolverine franchise and probably contends for top spot as an X-Men film, despite there being few X-Men in it.

The R rating was important only insofar as it allowed Wolverine to be himself as a character.   Even as a child, I was bothered by the very good X-Men cartoon of my time... because Wolverine could never seem to cut anyone with his claws.
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Ardyn Jaeger

• Approved Applicants
  • Live fast, die young.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 11:44:25 am »
I mentioned Deadpool and Logan specifically as outliers because they had more popular acclaim because of their writing. Mostly it seems like (from my perspective) is that the stories tend to be watered down by adding unnecessary elements to just to make them "edgier". It's a lazy writing tactic that undermines the story. I understand if it is necessary for the story, but oftentimes, it isn't.

Click the badge to read my bio

If history repeats itself, I am SO getting myself a dinosaur -- Oh wait, I did.
Alt of Kinley Garrison

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:07:06 pm »
I don't really see Tarantino pulling off a good Star Trek movie.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Mondo'li Nari

• Approved Applicants
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:54:31 am »
"I don't really see Tarantino pulling off a good Star Trek movie."

The good news is, even if the movie is not a good Star Trek movie, it will be memorable. 

Tarantino rarely does anything humdrum.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles