Author Topic: Personal Log - Kinley Garrison  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Personal Log - Kinley Garrison
« on: November 25, 2016, 11:48:50 pm »
My Log
Stardate: Whatever it is. It's November 25th 2394 on Earth right now, so there.
   Phew!  Today's been a crazy day today. I've just barely gotten unpacked from the chaos that happened just recently and oh my gosh, I can't wait to tell my folks about today... Just as soon as I've gotten over the space lag that's giving me such a nasty headache, of course. So, today... What happened so far?... Well, I took a shuttlepod down to the Federation Headquarters to get the mandatory health checks and the like before getting posted. They briefed me one last time, before they then beamed me onto my ship: The U.S.S. Discovery. (Technically it's the Discovery-A, but who has time to get really technical?) (Ok, my brother, Ender does, but he's an Engineer. That's what he does best. I once asked him one night to tell me about the time he picked apart Dad's old Navicomputer in order to fall asleep. I fell asleep within 20 minutes and he was still going strong three hours later.)

Woah...  Wait. I got off on a tangent there for a bit. I tell you, I sometimes get rather weird and talkative when I am sleep deprived. Just an FYI. Anyhow... Where was I? [Listens back to recording] Oh yeah. So they beamed me aboard the ship. Now that was an interesting experience. It was my first time being beamed up to anywhere, and if you don't know the feeling, try being dematerialized one particle at a time and then being rebuilt within five seconds in a new place. Talk about stomach-turning.  Of course, I just HAD to beam aboard when the ship was in the middle of a battle, so the ship was tossing and careening under my feet. I dropped all of my stuff and ran towards the bridge. They were short on a few scientists , so I kind of came at the right time, but oh my gosh, I think I got really lucky I had all of those simulations at the Academy. Sometimes I get the feeling like I'm seriously out of my league. Like here I am, the new recruit who technically is still in high school and hasn't even taken the Officer Training Class yet. (I'm planning to take it really soon, I promise.) And I've suddenly been promoted to an officer. Oh man. What have I gotten myself into? Fortunately the transition hasn't been so bad. I've gotten to know a few of my crew mates, and they all seem to be great people. I don't exactly know who my chief officer is yet, as they're still finding someone new to fill that spot. However, this is going to be an interesting mission I'm going to be on. And who knows what's out there?
Well it's time for me to hit the hay. It's going to be a very early morning for me, for certain.
Signing off.
[End recording]

We're in Starfleet here. Weird is part of the job description.

Click the badge to read my bio.

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Personal Log - Kinley Garrison
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 06:59:10 pm »
Stardate... what is it again?.... Forget it. I can hardly keep track of earth dates, much less star dates.

So what's been happening these last few weeks? Oh yeah! So the other day my brother, Sean called me from earth. His wife, Emmaline had their little girl! *squee!* I'm officially an aunt!  Her name is Katie June, and she's the cutest baby ever! Do I have a photo of her?... oh here's one they just sent me.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:00:27 pm by Kinley Garrison »

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:07:37 am »
Stardate: you know what, it's pretty late. I'm going to calculate it later.

Let's see. You know, my week has been anything but interesting so far. Get up, do my shift or two, afterwards study for a huge test my professors are giving me. (Which I'm dutifully procrastinating.)  Maybe even relax afterwards, If I have time. (Like that happens a lot.)  Then perhaps sleep. Repeat as necessary.

Yeah. That's my life. 
Being one of the brightest cadets to pass through the Academy mainly through concurrent classes, you would think that this whole education business has  been a piece of cake.  It hasn't.  I've had to fight hard to get this sort of internship, so to speak. Yeah, sure, I'm pretty savvy with the scanners, and not bad of an inventor, but let's face it. I'm not a genius. There definitely are cadets who are probably a lot more qualified for the opportunity than I am. But they trust me here on this job, so I guess that I'm doing something right. At least, I hope so.

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:02 pm »
Stardate: I don't care what day it is. All I know is that it's really late and I am in no mood to check what time it is. 

Gah. It's been a really ridiculously long day today. Professor Tarchannen  assigned the most ridiculous homework today for my Planetary Theory class. It's a project on gravitational flux. Problem is, he had the gall to assign it as a GROUP PROJECT. Seriously. How can I do a group project  when I'm on duty on a Starship!?!  And not to mention that the group the professor had to assign me to is mostly comprised of  my peers who attend parties more than they do the lectures.
Yeah, I'm kind of peeved right now.  And to add insult to injury, I've got another stack of peer-based reviews to pore over this week. Ah, the peer-based review.... I have so many things I can say about those blasted things. For one, I personally believe that they should have been phased out at least a century or two ago.  They're all talk and not enough actual science, in my opinion. Yeah, sure, not all science is experiments and explosions, but seriously. We don't need to  try and hype up our experiments like we're at some elementary school science fair. 

Phew.  Yeah, I'm done. Rant over. 

On a happier note, I finally passed the Officer Test and got promoted to Ensign.  Glad to have that off my plate. (Woot Woot!)    My parents, Sean, Emmaline, and baby Katie all came aboard to see the Promotion ceremony. (Ender couldn't come, but he did video chat with me afterwards.)  I got a lot of cuddle time with Katie and that was awesome.

{Yawn} I had better get to bed. I've got Alpha shift on the scanners tomorrow.

[End of recording]

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:39:34 am »
Stardate: -306006.4 (I actually remembered it for once!)

Renehan tried to teach me how to cook baked ziti today. It was an absolute disaster.  The noodles turned out fine. The sauce however, didn't.  Apparently, there is this sort of Klingon hot sauce, that so happens to be packaged in the same type of jar as the tomato sauce. Need I say any more?  Fortunately, it wasn't a total loss. That Tellarite, Jurn, rather enjoyed it. (Though, his palate is a lot tougher than a human's in what one considers edible. )

I really love cooking. The problem is I tend to stink at it.

Renehan: "You really do, Kinley. It's not warp science, you know."

"I know. Thing is Tessa, I can DO warp science. It's everything else that eludes me. 

[End log]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 01:21:40 am by Kinley Garrison »

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:47:00 pm »
Stardate:72165.61

Today's been a pretty low-key day today. I actually tried a new recipe today. Chicken Tetrazzini. I'm actually surprised that it actually turned out fairly well. I'm getting better at this cooking business, for the most part, anyways.  Though , judging by how I carve a roast chicken,  I sincerely hope I never have to do emergency surgery on someone.
  I still accidentally set fire to the stove. Again. And now I'm required to warn at least one of my superiors before I do anything in the kitchen. But hey, dinner turned out pretty good. i'm counting tonight as a win.

[End Log]

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 05:23:29 am »
Stardate: It's been a while, hasn't it?

It's been a few days now, and finally for once, my new schedule is giving me a break enough to write in my log.  So, I just got a crazy double promotion to both Lieutenant Commander and CSO. Is that crazy or what?! I'm CSO and I'm still 18. If that isn't just a little crazy, I'm not sure what is.

I knew the time would come eventually that I could be considered for the job, but I wasn't expecting this promotion to come so soon.  But with the damage CSO Michaels got when those Aliens came and put us all mentally in that simulation, I've had to step up. It's been just a bit intimidating, even just thinking about it. , No, scratch that. It's really intimidating. I'm going to be the boss of a whole science crew where many of my colleagues are much more older and experienced than I am. (Not to mention less prone to accident.) Fortunately, Commander Tekin is helping me not botch the job too badly and mentoring me along the way. 
It's going to be a lot of work, but it'll be great.
Let's hope it stays that way. 

Offline Kinley Garrison

• The Cheezit Thief
  • Honoured Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 02:23:23 am »
[Kinley’s Quarters - Discovery]

“Stardate… Oh gosh….78272.97. That’s it. Computer, Encrypt this message  and time stamp it.  I need to set this record straight. I don’t know if it will be needed, but this is  what happened. This is not on any official records, or other records that I know about. I … I just need to say this. Maybe my own record might be enough to explain. Or, it might have me removed for keeping vital secrets from Starfleet. I don't know. “

“How do I even start?” *sighs and picks up Steve.*    “So, I know I will be breaking Temporal Directive 659 with this log, but given the circumstances,  there’s a good chance that I’m going to be at least investigated in some form because of all this if people look closely enough. I wouldn’t blame them after… All this.  People keep telling me it’s not my fault, but… " *Sigh.  *

“In 2399, I was chosen to be a part of a top-secret mission. Through whatever they do in the Temporal Integrity Commission division, I don’t know, they realized that the Borg had actually sent a second cube back in time to stop Picard and the rest of the Enterprise crew. For some reason, they couldn’t fix it, So they sent us. A single ship, a ragtag crew from across different points in the timeline with next to no backup, and a potential suicide mission with little chance of success and failure not an option. Not good odds, if you ask me…

I don’t know why I took that offer. Maybe it was the chance to make a difference, maybe it was to save my home, Earth from some fate worse than death,  maybe it was the fact he called me some kind of legend in the future he’s from, I don’t know.  I can’t exactly say what inspired me to say yes. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision. One that I’ll  have to live with for the rest of my life.” *Sighs again*

“So,  I’m sure there’s some secret record out there in whatever Temporal Archive or whatever of what happened, but to sum up at least on my end, shortly after we engaged the Borg, I got kidnapped off of the Valour. They didn’t assimilate me, at least not immediately. I remember being injected with some kind of something though. Some kind of sedative, or maybe some kind of preparatory nanoprobes to tranquilize me enough to speak with their Queen. And in essence…. Become a new one.”

“To become a Queen, in a sense, one has to be a willing subject. To willingly become assimilated and speak the language of the Collective. As the Collective grows, sometimes a new Queen is required to lead a new Cube. That’s why they chose me. And that’s why they were willing to reason with me.”

“I will admit, it was intriguing what she promised, the knowledge and wisdom of the entire Collective at my fingertips, and I wouldn’t say I wasn’t tempted,  but in the end, I knew that I needed to buy time.  So that’s what I did… I paid my life for the crew of the Valour and the rest of the Federation, and I took the implants she offered me. Willingly and in full faculties of my mind. I knew the cost, and if it had to be me, then so be it. ”

[* Some shuffling as Steve curls up around  Kinley.*]

All this is to say, It’s because of this, and the events of the Frontier Day incident that I feel like I’m at least somewhat responsible for all this destruction that happened. It wasn’t as if I was in charge of my actions, but having that sway over the Collective,  there’s still  that hand that I played in it all.

"After the first incursion, I elected to get my implants removed. Mostly to look like myself, I’ll admit.  The surgeons were able to remove 97%  of the implants successfully, save a couple that were too dangerous to remove fully  but were supposedly rendered harmless.  Supposedly being the optimum word, I guess.  However, being assimilated changes you on a cellular level as well. Not even your cells get to be separate from the Collective." 

"From what I’ve heard, Admiral Picard found that out the hard way with Vox- uhh, I mean his son. That and the fact that I’m still young enough to have been affected by the call from the Cube. Either way, The Borg would probably have had me. And they didn’t forget me, either. That’s the scariest part. They didn’t forget me. They knew I was a Princess, and while I wasn’t the one giving the orders, like Vox was, I still spoke them to the Collective.  It was my job to amplify them to everyone else. If the Borg had succeded, I would truly be a Queen and would have worked with Vox to… To kill - annihilate- everything."

[* Pauses for a bit to collect herself. *]

“So, where was I? Oh yeah, Being assimilated.

I will admit. Being in the Collective as a Princess is…  It’s hard to explain in words. It’s like drinking from a fire hose but being able to do so just fine. Not going to lie, it was kind of beautiful.   Millions of voices all speaking at once, and millions of life experiences lived at once, as well as millions of perspectives seen all at once. In a weird way, you really get to be intimately connected with millions of minds. Nowadays, it’s absolutely terrifying to think about, but at the time, it was honestly breathtaking.

“I’ve already had several scientific breakthroughs from what memories I’ve been able to retain of my time in the Collective, but there’s just so much to think about it all, it sends me into sensory overload just thinking about it. Of course,  when EQ and Hawke rescued me from the Collective the first time, they destroyed the Queen of that particular cube, which suddenly sent the full force of the Collective onto me, and shocked the real me out for a bit where I could fight back. I wasn’t a full Queen yet, just in preparation as a Princess. I don’t think I’d have been able to be rescued if I was fully a Queen. By then you’re so far integrated  into the Collective that it’s too late. 

“The second time, it was different. I couldn’t really break through, like I did the last time but at the same time, I was somewhat defective, for the lack of a better term in the fact that my subconscious managed to fight the assimilation process, even for brief moments. I’m not 100% sure why. Maybe the assimilation process was inferior, maybe I was incompatible, maybe I was just defective after I broke free from the Collective the first time. I don’t know.  Even then, it might not have mattered all that much, given everything. ”

[* She fingers a necklace  with a medallion on it, the same one she received on that fateful mission *]

“On Frontier Day, I killed three of my own crew, hurt my own Executive Officer, and was the instrument to thousands more deaths on Spacedock and Earth. I don’t know if I am guilty of these sins because of my past actions and sacrifice.  I only hope I might find forgiveness somewhere, and that the lives I saved might outweigh the lives that were taken.”

“Computer: End log and encrypt. “
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 03:45:14 pm by Kinley Garrison »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles