Ideas for Ship Back Story

Started by James A. Hawke, August 08, 2016, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James A. Hawke

So I was thinking of the ships back story and this is what I came up and wanted people input.

When the Galaxy Class was created i.e. Yamato, Galaxy, Odyssey and Enterprise they were a total of six ships created based out of the Enterprise Technical Manual. A total of 12 Galaxy class ships were originally made.  The First six saw space the other six, the Federation saved the frame of them.  This means that they were not made but stored.

According to the DS9 Technical manual, when the Dominion War started the Federation began creating ships.  The second batch of Galaxy Class vessels when then created.

The other 6 ships that were created had a total of 65% of the volume empty.  In other words they were created to be battleships (Yesterday Enterprise, Episode).  Since Galaxy Class are essentially two ships in one the resources that would take would be huge.

I would propose that the Tempest is one of the ship created when the Dominon War started.  It was rushed in development and most of the insides were empty.  However, since it was created for combat, I bet that the Federation upgraded the weapons, hull and shields for combat.

The Tempest probably saw action in the Domion War, I would suggest that it was part of the Galaxy Wing as seen in DS9.  I would also suggest that it took part of the Borg Conflict and the Romulan escalation in the movies.

Probably about 2-3 years ago, there was a major refit done to the Tempest in which the 65% empty space was overhauled and changed back to its original purpose which was deep exploration.

Even thought the ship is about 20 years old, it would be considered almost new since the refit was massive.  Think TOS Enterprise and Movie Enterprise.

I don't know if people want to put that the Tempest was the last created Galaxy Class rushed out for the Dominion War.

I wanted to put something down and people can talk what they like and don't

Click on the Badge to see bio

Julia Rellek

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

James H. Hawk

I like this as well. Makes lots of sense too. I do however wish we had a Galaxy-X Class (the one with 3 nacelles) because it's more of a battleship (but I understand why people don't like this) and I like blowing stuff up and shooting Ferengi Klingons Cardassians enemies of the Federation.

Julia Rellek

Quote from: James Hawk on August 09, 2016, 09:04:51 AM

I like this as well. Makes lots of sense too. I do however wish we had a Galaxy-X Class (the one with 3 nacelles) because it's more of a battleship (but I understand why people don't like this) and I like blowing stuff up and shooting Ferengi Klingons Cardassians enemies of the Federation.

Lol I agree.. but I think the consensus was to take a more traditional route

James A. Hawke

Thanks,

I did some research about the 3 Nacelles Galaxy class.

They were refitted in 2399 in response to the Kithomer Accords being broken.

I think we are a couple of years ahead of it.  I can propose the following, we can begin debating about a third engine and the upgraded phaser arrays, IC some of the ideas might be floating around.

I did some research and found out that 3 nacelles are not as efficient as two nacelles.  I don't know why they did that other than it looks cool.   

Zell Perim

I love the idea of being one of the last (or the last) Galaxy class created.

I had a thought that took that line a bit further.  What if the Tempest sustained some heavy damage at the Battle of DS9 or another battle, and the Tempest was fitted with spares from an older Galaxy class ship that was damaged beyond repair...

Like, perhaps, if some of the port nacelle had to be refitted with part of the port nacelle assembly from the Enterprise-D or something similar.

Could even turn into a piece of a mission, something psychic or temporally attuned to the refit sections draws trouble or what not...

Name: Zell Perim
Species: Trill (Unjoined)
Dept: Flight Control

James A. Hawke

U.S.S. Tempest

"To the Elements be free"

The U.S.S. Tempest is currently a Galaxy Class Vessel whom primary purpose is to be a ship of exploration even though it is heavily armed.  This class of vessel is one of the largest and more powerful ever constructed by Starfleet.

The U.S.S. Tempest like all Galaxy Class vessels began development in 2343.  The prototype U.S.S. Galaxy was launched 2357 and its two sisters ship the U.S.S. Enterprise and U.S.S. Yamamoto was launched in 2363.  Initially, Starfleet planned for the creation of 12 Galaxy class vessels.  However, once the designs were realized, Starfleet decided to reduce the construction to only 6 vessels.  The frames of the U.S.S. Tempest along with five other vessels were stored.

In 2367, after the battle of Wolf 359, the Federation began a massive fleet shipbuilding program.  Starfleet took the remaining 6 frames out of storage and began the construction of the U.S.S. Tempest.  In 2370, The Dominon war began and the Federation rushed the production of the remaining Galaxy Class vessels including the U.S.S. Tempest.

In late 2370, the Federation launched it last Galaxy Class Vessel, the U.S.S. Tempest.  The introduction of more combat oriented vessels like the Akira and Sovereign class ended the construction of the Galaxy Class vessel.

The U.S.S. Tempest was launched with more than 65% of their internal volume empty, with minimal crew accommodations.  The initial purpose of the Tempest was to fight in the Dominon war.

The U.S.S. Tempest was part of the Galaxy class wing which took part of "Operation Return", The First battle of Chin'toka and the battle of Cardassia.  The U.S.S. Tempest was also part of the fleet   assembled to intercept the Borg fleet in 2378 and dealt with the Romulan incident of 2379.

In 2380, the U.S.S. Tempest was assigned to Patrol the Gamma Quadrant, it also served its originally purpose to do several first contact missions through the Gamma Quadrant.

In 2389, the U.S.S. Tempest  was assigned to a Top Secret Mission.  Details of this mission has been erased from the ship's logs.  The U.S.S. Tempest was heavily damaged during the mission and all hands were lost.

In 2390, the U.S.S. Tempest was found.  It was determined that it was salvable but major repairs needed to be done to the ship.  After much Debate, Starfleet decided to give the Tempest a second life.

In 2391, the U.S.S. Tempest underwent a 3 year refit period.  Salvage pieces of other Galaxy class vessels were used in order to complete the massive refit which included the creation of 65% of the ship's internal volume.  In short, the Tempest refit was created to make it look and feel the way that the Galaxy class vessel were designed.

In 2394, the U.S.S. Tempest was re-launched under the Command of Commander Julia Rellek.

Julia Rellek

William Waring

RESERVED

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

YIP!! I think we might have a nomination for POTM right there! :)

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

James H. Hawk

I like it. We should do a holo mission where we try and work out what the secret mission was.

Jus'draal

I was reading this and had a thught about the upgrades to the ship.  The upgrade that seemed to me the most relevant and prominent would be one that woud have had to have been added at the initial building of the ship.  If sixty five percent of the interior of the ship was literally empty then much of the rigidity and support of the ship's skin would be lost.  This means a more powerful Structural Integrity field would be needed.  Barring that, some structureto fill those spaces would be needed.

Just something to consider.

DabuQlu'DI' yISuv - Klingon Proverb - When Threatened, Fight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Earth Proverb - If you wish peace, prepare for war

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.