Author Topic: Athena Minisode: High Times on Risa  (Read 10393 times)

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Athena Minisode: High Times on Risa
« on: August 02, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »
Captain's Log, Supplemental
"After the events that occurred on Epsilon Indi the crew has more than earned its shore leave. I was able to time the Athena's scheduled shore leave to coincide with the delivery of supplies to Risa. While I, personally, have no interest in such frivolities- I understand the crew's appeal and made it so."

[Villa Overlooking the Beach]
Constance had not even changed out of her duty uniform. She had no interest in sun or sand- just on getting a head-start on next year's requisition forms for the Athena. To her- this was "relaxing". Still- she wasn't totally immune to the charms of Risa. The surf did smell nice- it reminded her of her home in California where she'd grown up and it was nice to be out of the confined quarters of the ship. This was the first time she had "personal time" in the last few years. No crisis. No crewman missing an arm. No Klingon attacks. Just sun, birdsong, the salty sea breeze, and a triplicate copy of form T318-B on her PADD.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Athena Minisode: High Times on Risa
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:33:00 pm »
[Engineering, USS Athena, In orbit of Risa]

Dylan knew where the ship was, but he didn't care much. He personally knew he was right where he wanted to be... Causeway 3/4/1 Delta, under hatch 756593760-4, by ODN conduit Oscar Two Lima Eight. In geographic terms, this was right next to the Chief Engineer's office, but that didn't stop Dylan from working. He had a scanner in his hand and he was crouched down, hidden from view unless one rounded the corner, in which case they were liable to trip over him.

He knew that Risa awaited, but he didn't feel a significant urge to go down there... he didn't have anyone to go with nor did he have any reason to go. He liked tech, and there was more tech here than on Risa. He knew being cramped up in the ship might drive him mad one day, but this was not that day. If someone dragged him along he'd go, but for now he was still on duty.
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Klizh

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • #MeowToo
  • Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Three year award
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:37:44 pm »
K'lizh once again adjusted the strap above his tail. He had never been to a beach and hadn't been sure what to wear; minimal attire seemed to be preferred by the hairless species, running around exposing their bare skin and (in most cases) single pairs of nipples to harmful solar rays and cooking themselves alive. It didn't make much sense, but K'lizh didn't want to stand out amongst his mostly-human crewmates and had replicated some beach wear from the ship's computer. This article of clothing was called a "thong" and was much too tight for his preference. Perhaps he should have gone with a more traditional Caitian garb.

Still, it wasn't enough to sour his mood; he had needed a chance to feel a real sun on his nose again without being knocked unconscious from the air. And what air it was! Salt and sweetness mixed and interplayed with every breath. He wiggled his bare toes into the sand, feeling the tickle of it working into his fur. As much as K'lizh loved his homeworld, this planet was a close runner-up.

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »
[Bay]

Stafford felt the azure waves wash over him, and when their salt water caress disappeared he felt his tensions flow away with it.

He floated upon his back with the endless music of the bay in his ears. The sun beat down on him ceaselessly but he did not feel any discomfort, just a lulling tranquility that threatened to overtake him completely.

For the first time in god knows how long, he felt relaxed.

There came a sound not of the water or the surf, but a more rapid and less natural splitting of the bay. Reluctantly, Stafford opened his eyes, blinking rapidly.

A small boat was cutting its way through the waves. A proud and upright vessel despite it's age, the crew on the deck was busy rushing about with steaming containers. Anyone with a free hand was waving merrily at the swimmers.

Its the seafood restaurant I heard about at the hotel. Stafford realized belatedly.

In an instant, it seemed everyone else who had been moments before floating or splashing peacefully also came to the same conclusion. Stafford felt himself being brushed aside as voices took up and everyone made a mad dash for the boat.

Food. The sun, the salt in the air, the swimming. It all had taken a lot out of him, more than he'd realized, and soon Stafford was one of the many doggy paddling rapidly towards the smell of fresh seafood coming from the boat.

He dodged a blue suited Andorian, who he hadn't seen until the last minute. Clever, he camouflaged himself. Stafford elbowed him aside, and got to the boat just in time

Stafford and a dozen others were helped aboard by the crew. There was nowhere to sit, just an open air kitchen that people were already yelling orders to.

"Sea bass, pan seared!" The XO yelled at a nearby chef. "Whatever vegetables you have, and wine."

As he watched and smelled the scent of fish being cooked, the happy laughs and jokes of the people around him, Stafford cast a quick glance around, wondering if any other Athena crewmember was grabbing a bite.

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:42 pm »
[Bay]

Stafford felt the azure waves wash over him, and when their salt water caress disappeared he felt his tensions flow away with it.

He floated upon his back with the endless music of the bay in his ears. The sun beat down on him ceaselessly but he did not feel any discomfort, just a lulling tranquility that threatened to overtake him completely.

For the first time in god knows how long, he felt relaxed.

There came a sound not of the water or the surf, but a more rapid and less natural splitting of the bay. Reluctantly, Stafford opened his eyes, blinking rapidly.

A small boat was cutting its way through the waves. A proud and upright vessel despite it's age, the crew on the deck was busy rushing about with steaming containers. Anyone with a free hand was waving merrily at the swimmers.

Its the seafood restaurant I heard about at the hotel. Stafford realized belatedly.

In an instant, it seemed everyone else who had been moments before floating or splashing peacefully also came to the same conclusion. Stafford felt himself being brushed aside as voices took up and everyone made a mad dash for the boat.

Food. The sun, the salt in the air, the swimming. It all had taken a lot out of him, more than he'd realized, and soon Stafford was one of the many doggy paddling rapidly towards the smell of fresh seafood coming from the boat.

He dodged a blue suited Andorian, who he hadn't seen until the last minute. Clever, he camouflaged himself. Stafford elbowed him aside, and got to the boat just in time

Stafford and a dozen others were helped aboard by the crew. There was nowhere to sit, just an open air kitchen that people were already yelling orders to.

"Sea bass, pan seared!" The XO yelled at a nearby chef. "Whatever vegetables you have, and wine."

As he watched and smelled the scent of fish being cooked, the happy laughs and jokes of the people around him, Stafford cast a quick glance around, wondering if any other Athena crewmember was grabbing a bite.

[Suraya Bay]

Scott didn't really expect a break this soon, but was glad to have it. Though his time on board has been brief, he was fitting in quite nicely. It also helped making it out of being a cadet shortly after their last mission was over.

The ensign was dressed not unlike the trip he took to Rio back on Earth. He had a tank top and board shorts in a multi-colored tropical design. He spotted Commander Stafford and decided to head over.

He saw that the XO had already ordered, so he went ahead and ordered as well.

"I'll take an order of calamari, some chips, and a small order of shrimp cocktail, please," the ensign said, "with a scotch and soda."

As they both were waiting for their orders, Scott turned to his XO.

"Sir, what advice would you give to an ensign like myself just starting out in his career?" Scott asked.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:31:49 pm by Leonard T. Scott »

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:26:45 pm »
[Suraya Bay]

Scott didn't really expect a break this soon, but was glad to have it. Though his time on board has been brief, he was fitting in quite nicely. It also helped making it out of being a cadet shortly after their last mission was over.

The ensign was dressed not unlike the trip he took to Rio back on Earth. He had a tank top and board shorts in a multi-colored tropical design. He spotted Commander Stafford and decided to head over.

He saw that the XO had already ordered, so he went ahead and ordered as well.

"I'll take an order of calamari, some chips, and a small order of shrimp cocktail, please," the ensign said, "with a scotch and soda."

As they both were waiting for their orders, Scott turned to his XO.

"Sir, what advice would you give to an ensign like myself just staying out in his career?" Scott asked.

[Boat]

Stafford appraised the young ensign, not by his performance in the last mission, which had been stellar, but by his dinner order. Calamri was exotic enough, true, but potato chips and a scotch and soda...

Wait, he's British. He meant fries. Still, the kid had a lot to learn, in Stafford's mind.

"I'd invite you to sit, Scott, but we're fresh out of chairs." He said. "Now as to your question. I suppose my first rule would be to forget about work when we are on leave."

His tone was teasing and light. It was plain to see the commander wasn't too hung up on formalities off of the ship.

Stafford's food arrived. The pan seared sea bass was encrusted with a black and golden marinade, seeping slightly into the tender white flesh underneath. The meat was swimming in a pool of its own juice and the delicate balance of spices and liquids that been stewing in.

The vegetables were Brussels sprouts, softened little buds of green that had been bathed in butter and bacon grease. Each one was plump despite it's having shrunk in the pan, and here and there dabs of a creamy yellow butter still hadn't melted.

The waiter had brought over a kind of stand with a small counter atop it so that he could stand and eat. Stafford reckoned it was so each guest would not take up too much room and eat quickly and leave.

He supposed it was only polite to wait until Scott's meal arrived as well. Stafford began to regret the young man coming over and speaking with him. To steel his resolve, the commander took a sip of wine. It was Riesling, fine stuff, but he still preferred red.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:28:04 pm by Luke Stafford »

Offline Susan Venator

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • 'One man's "magic" is another man's engineering!'
  • Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. 2018 USS Fiji - With Open Arms  Featured mission
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:29:06 pm »
Deck 12, Antimatter storage tanks.

Suzie hummed an old Betazoid tune as she worked. She knew that they were in orbit of Risa but she had no interest in going down to the pleasure planet. She was reluctant to expose herself to places that were fraught with strong emotion and Risa certainly qualified. The shuddered as she remembered her last visit to Risa, not wanting to repeat the experience. Her mental barriers were not strong enough, especially when she was tired and she did not want to risk acting up in response to emotions making through.  She was taking the opportunity of the Warp core being offline to repair a valve issue in one of the Antimatter storage tanks. She had drained the tank concerned and was taking her time replacing the seal. She continued with her work without worrying about downtime.

Species: Betazoid
Bio: Susan Venator Bio Alt of Lizzie Vaughan

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »
[Boat]

Stafford appraised the young ensign, not by his performance in the last mission, which had been stellar, but by his dinner order. Calamri was exotic enough, true, but potato chips and a scotch and soda...

Wait, he's British. He meant fries. Still, the kid had a lot to learn, in Stafford's mind.

"I'd invite you to sit, Scott, but we're fresh out of chairs." He said. "Now as to your question. I suppose my first rule would be to forget about work when we are on leave."

His tone was teasing and light. It was plain to see the commander wasn't too hung up on formalities off of the ship.

Stafford's food arrived. The pan seared sea bass was encrusted with a black and golden marinade, seeping slightly into the tender white flesh underneath. The meat was swimming in a pool of its own juice and the delicate balance of spices and liquids that been stewing in.

The vegetables were Brussels sprouts, softened little buds of green that had been bathed in butter and bacon grease. Each one was plump despite it's having shrunk in the pan, and here and there dabs of a creamy yellow butter still hadn't melted.

The waiter had brought over a kind of stand with a small counter atop it so that he could stand and eat. Stafford reckoned it was so each guest would not take up too much room and eat quickly and leave.

He supposed it was only polite to wait until Scott's meal arrived as well. Stafford began to regret the young man coming over and speaking with him. To steel his resolve, the commander took a sip of wine. It was Riesling, fine stuff, but he still preferred red.

Scott laughed a bit at the answer realizing it may not have been he best time to ask. It was only a matter of minutes before his meal arrived.

"Well, it, I mean I was just trying to make a little conversation," he said a bit nervously before taking a few chips and eating them.

"So, Risa is a nice little planet. It's my first time here and it's a little different than what I had in mind, but it's only slight things. I'm since its day time that affects the things I've heard," he laughed.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 09:42:32 pm »
Scott laughed a bit at the answer realizing it may not have been he best time to ask. It was only a matter of minutes before his meal arrived.

"Well, it, I mean I was just trying to make a little conversation," he said a bit nervously before taking a few chips and eating them.

"So, Risa is a nice little planet. It's my first time here and it's a little different than what I had in mind, but it's only slight things. I'm since its day time that affects the things I've heard," he laughed.

Stafford attacked his meal as if it was an enemy machine gun nest while the ensign talked. In a rare moment when he wasn't chewing or slugging down wine, the commander laughed too.

"A man after my own heart. I remember those days." Stafford looked at the svelte body of the newly promoted young officer and then down at his own. He was thin, and getting stringy, like an old horse who had been worked past his prime.

"I also remember the few days after shore leave when I'd get a rush of patients who'd hit the town a little too hard." Stafford wagged a forkful of the fast disappearing sea bass at Scott. "Don't do something you'll regret."

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 10:30:00 pm »
[CSO's Office]

Even though the whole crew was on break, there was still work to be done. He had reports to file and inventory to take. That didn't stop him from wearing off-duty clothing though. Instead of his uniform he had put on black dress shoes, black pants, and a white dress shirt with it's sleeves rolled up. As soon as he had finished his work he moved over to the wall and spoke. "Computer, who's still on-board?" James asked before the computer gave him a small list of people.

Deck 12, Antimatter storage tanks.

Suzie hummed an old Betazoid tune as she worked. She knew that they were in orbit of Risa but she had no interest in going down to the pleasure planet. She was reluctant to expose herself to places that were fraught with strong emotion and Risa certainly qualified. The shuddered as she remembered her last visit to Risa, not wanting to repeat the experience. Her mental barriers were not strong enough, especially when she was tired and she did not want to risk acting up in response to emotions making through.  She was taking the opportunity of the Warp core being offline to repair a valve issue in one of the Antimatter storage tanks. She had drained the tank concerned and was taking her time replacing the seal. She continued with her work without worrying about downtime.

[Deck 12 -  Antimatter Storage Tanks]

James entered the room and looked over at the woman giving a small nod before speaking. "Still working 'ey?" He asked politely. "You know, we're on break at one of the most widely loved places in the galaxy."

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 11:11:40 pm »
Stafford attacked his meal as if it was an enemy machine gun nest while the ensign talked. In a rare moment when he wasn't chewing or slugging down wine, the commander laughed too.

"A man after my own heart. I remember those days." Stafford looked at the svelte body of the newly promoted young officer and then down at his own. He was thin, and getting stringy, like an old horse who had been worked past his prime.

"I also remember the few days after shore leave when I'd get a rush of patients who'd hit the town a little too hard." Stafford wagged a forkful of the fast disappearing sea bass at Scott. "Don't do something you'll regret."

"I'll try to keep that in mind, sir," Scott replied with a smile as he dove into the calamari. It was one of his favorite seafood dishes. "So, what are some spots you recommend here? I like the kind of place you can just have a pint, maybe some decent music. Nothing too fancy or loud."

Offline James H. Hawk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:13 am »
[Boat]

James was relieved when he heard the Athena

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »
"I'll try to keep that in mind, sir," Scott replied with a smile as he dove into the calamari. It was one of his favorite seafood dishes. "So, what are some spots you recommend here? I like the kind of place you can just have a pint, maybe some decent music. Nothing too fancy or loud."

"There are plenty of nightclubs a young officer could cut a rug at," Stafford said with a smile. "Just be wary of the occasional crime. Is this your first shore leave, Scott?"

[Boat]

"Hawk." Stafford said with a slight smile. His own plate was finished. He gave it to a passing waiter and indicated for the English security officer to take his place. "I'm finished, go ahead and take this stand. Enjoying your stay here on Risa, ensign?"

Offline Ruth Sigurdsdottir

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • It's clearly illogical.
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Three year award Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 03:15:56 pm »
Quarters, Hotel on Risa

Ruth had booked out a small suite in the best hotel on Risa.  She'd sent a note to Will to meet her there as he didn't yet, officially at any rate, know about her promotion. She was going to surprise him with it.

She'd selected her swimsuit carefully, she didn't want the whole crew with their tongues hanging out but she knew that was unfortunately inevitable.  She still got it from new recruits when she was in her uniform let alone when she was half dressed in something that didn't hide much!

She replicated herself a margarita and sat waiting for Will to turn up.

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 04:40:14 pm »
"There are plenty of nightclubs a young officer could cut a rug at," Stafford said with a smile. "Just be wary of the occasional crime. Is this your first shore leave, Scott?"

"On a distant planet, yes," Scott replied. "However, I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the advice, sir."

[Boat]

He turned to Ensign Hawk and thanked him for the compliment. "Great minds, eh?" Scott said. He waited until Hawk was done talking with the XO before continuing the conversation.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles