4th SIMM ship name Poll

Started by Kirok, July 31, 2016, 09:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirok

Fleeters,

It is time to vote for the name of the 4th ship.

The four names listed above each received at least two nominations on a previous thread.

Voting will remain open until Wednesday at 3 PM CST.

Respectfully,

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Gabriel Arthur

Leonard T. Scott

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Dylan Torngate

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

James H. Hawk

I don't think Shran suits a galaxy class that well. I like the name but I think it suits a Prometheus or Akira class way better.

Malcolm Adeyemi

I voted for Shran, but any of the names in the top spot are quite good. Cochran I am not such a big fan of...

Gabriel Arthur

Quote from: James Hawk on August 01, 2016, 03:27:03 AM

I don't think Shran suits a galaxy class that well. I like the name but I think it suits a Prometheus or Akira class way better.

I agree, and that's why I voted for Babel.  Biblical implications aside, Galaxy should be named for something bigger than one person.  It should be named for a legend, an ideal, a turning point in history.

I can't believe USS Pokemon Go didn't make the cut.  :(

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Gabriel Arthur on August 01, 2016, 02:47:22 PM

I agree, and that's why I voted for Babel.  Biblical implications aside, Galaxy should be named for something bigger than one person.  It should be named for a legend, an ideal, a turning point in history.

I can't believe USS Pokemon Go didn't make the cut.  :(

You're right, it shouldn't be named after one person. Maybe a smaller class vessel should. In fact, I think there have been examples of that.

Gabriel Arthur

Quote from: Luke Stafford on August 01, 2016, 02:48:33 PM

You're right, it shouldn't be named after one person. Maybe a smaller class vessel should. In fact, I think there have been examples of that.

Most of them are named for ideals (Challenger, Odyssey, some ship called Enterprise or something), but occasionally they slip into specificity (Yamato, named for the battleship, which was in turn named for the historical Japanese ethnic group, so there's wiggle room there).

So, while someone could probably find examples of Galaxies being named for individuals, I feel that it doesn't fit the spirit of the class.

Jiseth

There as a Nebula-class named Farragut and it's basically a Galaxy.

Dylan Torngate

I see where you're all coming from with the Not-person thing, and it's vaild enough. (Though I do still support Shran) :P

Shran was, after all, one of the more influential non-terrans in the founding of the United Federation of Planets, and he was actually on the delegation from Andoria, AKA he signed the Federation Charter on behalf of the entire Andorian race, so he's a pretty big deal and I can see Shran being remembered in this way. On the others, I think personally that Starfleet and the UFP is about Cochrane'ed out, with the unit of measurement and the academies and the everythings...

Jiseth, I wouldn't say this is more of a priority than helping the Discovery, and I'm sure there are more things going on behind the scenes that we can't see to help solve that issue.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Gabriel Arthur

Quote from: Cayden McConnell on August 01, 2016, 03:35:10 PM

Thank you for your input and the heads up. Enjoy your day....

He Arose.

Klizh

I really want to see Shran because it would be great to see props given to a nonhuman species in the Federation for once. As for Shran's legacy, probably the Federation history books play up his role in the foundation of the Federation more so than his role as a soldier beforehand, so modern Federation citizens probably see him as more of a peacemaker than a soldier.

"Babel," while having a new context in Federation society, is still an Earth reference. And Tempest, while a force of nature, isn't quite so... inspiring, and would be more suited for a warship than a Galaxy-class.

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Julia Rellek

Personally, I love all of these choices... but I tend to agree that the Federation may be Cochran'ed out (hehe)

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Gabriel Arthur

I must say, I did not expect 'Tempest' to get that much love.  If anyone was betting and played that horse, they might be rich.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.