Author Topic: 4th SIMM ship name  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: 4th SIMM ship name
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 07:16:41 pm »
You mean the USS Frau Blucher?

*horses neigh*

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Klizh

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • #MeowToo
  • Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Three year award
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »
Typically the reason behind the naming of something "human focused" is to aide in people connecting with the ship. There is also the historical significance of the name and the ship's that have shared the name.

That said, names are just that, names. Want to name it after an Andorian or Vulcan that helped form the Federation, so be it. What about the Tellarite or Efrosian?

Another aspect that I might point out, is that a lot of the "earth names" may derive from the fact that Earth is seen as the catalyst that helped create the Federation and the naming is an homage to the Earth's tumultuous history.
Granted to all of that, and I understand there's also a television "shorthand" factor of needing the audience to understand the ships being named are indeed ships, and not some weird alien thing, or having to pause to explain the alien significance of "U.S.S. X'y'lk'mneshti" or what have you. But since this isn't television and we are all a bunch of nerds here who can be trusted to understand the niche, I say we might as well go for it.

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 07:46:12 pm »
USS <<Insert Name Here>>

Just kidding, only contribution I have is USS Valkyrie.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:48:40 pm by James Carter »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »
USS Ivan
USS Draco
USS Leviathan
USS Aborigine
USS Lagos
USS Mombasa
USS Surak
USS Kahless (it would be unforgettable)

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 08:37:49 pm »
I'll vote for the Shran

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Offline Cayden McConnell

• Suspended Account
  • Currently on Special Assignment
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 08:51:45 pm »
Granted to all of that, and I understand there's also a television "shorthand" factor of needing the audience to understand the ships being named are indeed ships, and not some weird alien thing, or having to pause to explain the alien significance of "U.S.S. X'y'lk'mneshti" or what have you. But since this isn't television and we are all a bunch of nerds here who can be trusted to understand the niche, I say we might as well go for it.

Noted.

Hence the polling process. Put your perspective name forward and if it wins, there you go. If not, then we are a bunch of xenophobes.

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Offline Julia Rellek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • "There's coffee in the nebula!" - Janeway
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 09:23:04 pm »
I still think that exclusively focusing on Earth-names is... eh. Let's look at Federation history instead of just Human.

So, we are naming a Galaxy class. It's a big, beautiful, thing- an ambassador, a diplomat, but can still bring the storm when it needs to. So with those 2 ideas in mind:

USS Babel
Named after the Babel conference which solidified the Federation.

USS Haven
A haven is a place of safety or refuge.

USS Cheron
Named after the battle against the Romulans which brought the Federations founders together for the first time. A precursor to the foundation of the Federation.

USS Khitomer
Named after the peaceful treaties that worked towards making the Klingons allies of the Federation. A good name for a diplomatic ship.

USS Ilia
Named after the Deltan who gave up her life in the V'ger incident.

USS Nimbus
Named after Nimbus III, a planet jointly established by the Klingons, Federation, and Romulans. It is the "Planet of Galactic Peace".

USS Shran
Vital to the Federation and Jeffrey Combs was amazing.

Babel.... I like that :-)

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Death isn't a joke, but life is.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July to the player with the best application. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »
USS Iktomi
USS Tempest
USS Sabbath
USS Nemo
USS Jupiter

Offline James H. Hawk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 10:52:02 pm »
USS Iktomi
USS Tempest
USS Sabbath
USS Nemo
USS Jupiter

I like Tempest, I was actually going to suggest it myself. I like Shan as well but I think it would be better for more of a warship. Nimbus was, as Dylan said a failed experiment though I don't mind it.

Some of my ideas:

USS Indefatigable (named after a famous Royal Navy ship)
USS Euryalus
USS Invincible
USS Indomitable

These are all old Royal Navy ships who's name I like.

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 11:46:36 pm »

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 11:58:09 pm »

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Offline Alexander Wu

• Pineapple Pizza Crusader
  • Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • Militi Succurrimus
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in May 2013.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 12:55:07 am »

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 12:59:51 am »

I forgot the Blackfish. Totally loved that the last time you put it forth.

USS La Resistance?

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 01:09:06 am »
USS Breakaway
RESERVED

Kyle Briggs

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 01:27:02 am »
None of these ships would be flying without him so....USS Cochrane

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles