4th SIMM ship name

Started by Cayden McConnell, July 27, 2016, 04:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cayden McConnell

Okay, so the board has chosen a Galaxy class starship for our latest edition. Similar to before, we will put together a list of names, chosen from the board and poll for the new ship's name. Have fun.

USS Challenger
USS Lexington

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Dylan Torngate

USS Endeavor
USS Daystrom
USS Infinity
USS Resolute
USS Melbourne
USS Boothby
USS Alvin with his chipmunks
USS Nautalis
USS Saratoga
USS Caprica
USS Helios
USS Charlie Brown
USS Lollipop It's a good ship.
USS Bismark
USS Boaty McBoatface
USS Eagle
USS Yamato
USS Red October
USS Tigerfish
USS Silversides
USS Republic

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

William Waring

USS Apollo
USS Gemini
USS Mercury
USS Orion
USS Alpha Centauri

RESERVED

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Louisa Willow

I'm all for USS Boaty Mcboatface! :D

Click on my Sig to read my bio!

Malcolm Adeyemi

USS Arctic
USS Ghana
USS Calypso

Constance Lafayette

I still think that exclusively focusing on Earth-names is... eh. Let's look at Federation history instead of just Human.

So, we are naming a Galaxy class. It's a big, beautiful, thing- an ambassador, a diplomat, but can still bring the storm when it needs to. So with those 2 ideas in mind:

USS Babel
Named after the Babel conference which solidified the Federation.

USS Haven
A haven is a place of safety or refuge.

USS Cheron
Named after the battle against the Romulans which brought the Federations founders together for the first time. A precursor to the foundation of the Federation.

USS Khitomer
Named after the peaceful treaties that worked towards making the Klingons allies of the Federation. A good name for a diplomatic ship.

USS Ilia
Named after the Deltan who gave up her life in the V'ger incident.

USS Nimbus
Named after Nimbus III, a planet jointly established by the Klingons, Federation, and Romulans. It is the "Planet of Galactic Peace".

USS Shran
Vital to the Federation and Jeffrey Combs was amazing.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Gabriel Arthur

I really, really don't have a problem with Nimbus.

Dylan Torngate

I love the Shran that' be awesome and a good way to help remember one of the Andorian's awesome members (Plus the actor was awesome)

I have to disagree with the Nimbus. The Nimbus experiment, in theory, was great. But it failed so hard that I can't see the Federation naming a galaxy class ship after it.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Klizh

I'll echo the "too many Earth names" thing. Despite Star Trek's lip service to the Federation being an equal organization of hundreds of species, it always annoyed me how human-centric it could be, especially with the canon starship names. Let's go with something either alien or a universal concept.

I second the USS Shran.
Or the USS Sarek. (There was a ship named after him in DS9, classification unknown. We could say it was destroyed in the Dominion War and this is the newly-christened Sarek-A.

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Constance Lafayette

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on July 27, 2016, 06:28:31 PM

I love the Shran that' be awesome and a good way to help remember one of the Andorian's awesome members (Plus the actor was awesome)

I have to disagree with the Nimbus. The Nimbus experiment, in theory, was great. But it failed so hard that I can't see the Federation naming a galaxy class ship after it.

That's fine regarding Nimbus. I was adding it because of the intent, not the outcome. Mostly spit-balling. I can see it though.

Yeah, USS Shran is an awesome choice- especially for a Galaxy Class.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Cayden McConnell

Quote from: K-lizh on July 27, 2016, 06:28:58 PM

I'll echo the "too many Earth names" thing. Despite Star Trek's lip service to the Federation being an equal organization of hundreds of species, it always annoyed me how human-centric it could be, especially with the canon starship names. Let's go with something either alien or a universal concept.

I second the USS Shran.
Or the USS Sarek. (There was a ship named after him in DS9, classification unknown. We could say it was destroyed in the Dominion War and this is the newly-christened Sarek-A.

Typically the reason behind the naming of something "human focused" is to aide in people connecting with the ship. There is also the historical significance of the name and the ship's that have shared the name.

That said, names are just that, names. Want to name it after an Andorian or Vulcan that helped form the Federation, so be it. What about the Tellarite or Efrosian?

Another aspect that I might point out, is that a lot of the "earth names" may derive from the fact that Earth is seen as the catalyst that helped create the Federation and the naming is an homage to the Earth's tumultuous history.

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Gabriel Arthur

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on July 27, 2016, 06:28:31 PM

While that is a fair point, I will also point out that the Federation, for such a vaunted and pacifistic group, tends to name a lot of ships after the barbarous wars of Earth's past.

I'm not against Shran, because Andorians are awesome. 

Malcolm Adeyemi

Name stuff

Everyone is bringing up great names and great points. Ultimately, the choice is up to us. Me, I am down for just about anything. Once you serve aboard a ship named "Chin'toka" you are pretty open to anything...

Gabriel Arthur

Quote from: Luke Stafford on July 27, 2016, 07:04:32 PM

Everyone is bringing up great names and great points. Ultimately, the choice is up to us. Me, I am down for just about anything. Once you serve aboard a ship named "Chin'toka" you are pretty open to anything...

You mean the USS Frau Blucher?
*horses neigh*

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.