Author Topic: A Long Time Coming (Will/Ruth)  (Read 19033 times)

Offline Ruth Sigurdsdottir

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • It's clearly illogical.
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Three year award Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Long Time Coming (Will/Ruth)
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »
[Quarters]

"All planned out. A man who never sleeps always has too much time on his hands. I assume you mean best man for the wedding? It would definitely be Kyle." He leaned his head back until he hit the headboard "I would write to Vinnie if I knew where she was. I don't know if she is back on Earth or the Moon or even stationed at a Starbase." He shrugged his shoulders "I don't just want to send out a letter and hope it finds her either. God knows Starfleet takes it good old time finding someone. I wouldn't want anyone but Vinnie doing my medical. I don't trust anyone else as much as I do her."

"And you call yourself an Ops officer!!" Ruth said rolling her eyes.  "Surely there's a search you can do on a computer to find where people are stationed?  If she's retired that's another matter but Starfleet HQ would have a forwarding address and so you could send it to them and they'd forward it on."

She smile at the comment about Vinnie doing Will's medical.  "I happen to know that both Dr. Telak here on the Athena and Dr. Lizzie Vaughan on the Disco are both very talented doctors.  I'm not familiar with Dr. Kintiss but I suspect he's perfectly capable of sorting you out too.  I know they aren't Vinnie.  No one could ever be that little fireball but we'll find her.  Now, eggs finished I need a uniform and to get to the Bridge before Constance is going to use my guts for a new violin if she ever takes that up again!! She'd maybe opt for a harp, it's stringed but has more gut per square inch for maximum affect!" she winked and then gave Will a quick kiss swinging her legs out of bed and heading for the bathroom.

"I'm totally keeping the sports jersey tho!" she giggled.

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2016, 03:34:57 pm »
"And you call yourself an Ops officer!!" Ruth said rolling her eyes.  "Surely there's a search you can do on a computer to find where people are stationed?  If she's retired that's another matter but Starfleet HQ would have a forwarding address and so you could send it to them and they'd forward it on."

She smile at the comment about Vinnie doing Will's medical.  "I happen to know that both Dr. Telak here on the Athena and Dr. Lizzie Vaughan on the Disco are both very talented doctors.  I'm not familiar with Dr. Kintiss but I suspect he's perfectly capable of sorting you out too.  I know they aren't Vinnie.  No one could ever be that little fireball but we'll find her.  Now, eggs finished I need a uniform and to get to the Bridge before Constance is going to use my guts for a new violin if she ever takes that up again!! She'd maybe opt for a harp, it's stringed but has more gut per square inch for maximum affect!" she winked and then gave Will a quick kiss swinging her legs out of bed and heading for the bathroom.

"I'm totally keeping the sports jersey tho!" she giggled.
[Quarters]

Will shook his head as he took the dirty dishes and recycled them. "We both need to get to the Bridge. Alpha shift won't run itself!"

While Ruth occupied the bathroom he got changed near the bed. Within a moments time he was in full uniform with not a single hair out of place. He replicated a fresh coffee and stood by the door waiting for Ruth.
RESERVED

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Three year award Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 03:40:25 pm »
Coming out of the bathroom in full uniform and putting her pips in, Ruth gratefully took a coffee from Will and 'paid' with a kiss on the cheek.

Giggling she wiped off the light lipstick mark.  She didn't wear anything bar light tones while on duty, but the very distinct lip mark on his cheek would have caused comment.

"Best wipe that off or they'll all want one!" she said "Thanks for the coffee, I don't think I'll ever be as bad as you but I need about 3 strong ones before I'm mostly human, well human enough for Bridge duty!" she laughed.

"C'mon, " she said walking to the turbolift, "... like you said Alpha shift won't run itself and I have a cadet and a crewman recuit starting with me today, oh joy... how quickly can I corrupt them, muhahahahaha!" she winked, stepping into the lift.

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 05:20:42 am »
[20 Minutes After the End of Alpha Shift - Mess Hall]

Will entered the Mess Hall in a dirty gold jumpsuit and queued up for the replicator. Today has been inspection day for Ops and he had the job of making sure the main line connections were as they should be and that required an eight hour and fifteen minute shift of crawling through Jefferies Tubes and maintenance crawlways.

"Every main line from the Bridge to Engineering and back again. At least I get to rest now". When he spoke it was evident that he was exhausted although his face was showing that already.

He had finally made his way to the replicator and found the energy to speak his order. "Grilled cheese. Double order of that, actually. Large coffee, black." He picked up his tray, moved to a table next to the wall and sat down. He took a gulp of his coffee and leaned his head back against the wall. He had little doubt that Ruth would show at the Mess. Shift changes always were the busiest for the replicator so he could catch her before she queued up.
RESERVED

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:21 am »
[20 Minutes After the End of Alpha Shift - Mess Hall]

Will entered the Mess Hall in a dirty gold jumpsuit and queued up for the replicator. Today has been inspection day for Ops and he had the job of making sure the main line connections were as they should be and that required an eight hour and fifteen minute shift of crawling through Jefferies Tubes and maintenance crawlways.

"Every main line from the Bridge to Engineering and back again. At least I get to rest now". When he spoke it was evident that he was exhausted although his face was showing that already.

He had finally made his way to the replicator and found the energy to speak his order. "Grilled cheese. Double order of that, actually. Large coffee, black." He picked up his tray, moved to a table next to the wall and sat down. He took a gulp of his coffee and leaned his head back against the wall. He had little doubt that Ruth would show at the Mess. Shift changes always were the busiest for the replicator so he could catch her before she queued up.

Mess Hall

It had been another long shift.  That alone made Ruth ponder as she wandered into the mess hall... time, it was a strange thing.  One unit of 8 hours on a shift could fly past, or it could drag to the point it felt like 8 days rather than the simple hours.  But saying a 'long shift' when it had been exactly the same duration was strange.

Shaking her head as if to clear it she made a mental note that she had to schedule the sparring sessions with Raynor.  She looked at her stomach... she had noticed a small amount of thickening there as when she was a lowly Ensign she ran around far more 'gophering' and worked off more... it wouldn't hurt having a bit more exercise.  She seemed to sit doing paperwork on PADDs a lot more these days.  Sparring with the Klingon, who showed no mercy was like exercising with a particularly mean Drill Sergeant who gave you nothing but a rougish grin at the end of it when he was pleased with you and a grunt.  It was an arrangement that would work and it allowed her to throw blades around  without anyone, except maybe herself, getting hurt... and then it would only be the odd bruise or cut.

Spotting Will she smiled to herself, how could she have managed to be so lucky as to be 'involved' one way or another with the two sexiest men on the ship?!  Will was her partner and she was thinking of asking Constance if they could move into one or other of their quarters.  What Will had said to her this morning about actually being able to sleep, well it had hit home.  Maybe if they went to see Ilana first, if it was a medical thing then that might lend more weight.

"Is this the latest fashion in Ops?!" she said looking at the rather grubby jumpsuit.  "I'm guessing someone was rather hungry and came here rather than going and getting changed?!"  she started moving towards the queue for the replicator.

"Grab a table..." she called over, "...I'll be with you in a moment."

Ruth waited her turn in the queue then got herself some BLT sandwiches on toasted bread and a large pot of Ratkajino, figuring they'd probably want more than one drink and Will would already have a mug.

She looked around and saw Will wave briefly from a table on the other side of the Mess Hall and walked over and slid in beside him.

"So..." she started having a mouthful of BLT and washing it down with a much needed mouthful of coffee.  "... you tell me about the jumpsuit and how it's so grubby, and I'll tell you how many times per day a Weeper plant needs feeding!" she joked.

Laughing suddenly she said "You know, until we retire this is going to be our equivalent of coming home from work and saying 'Hello dear, so how's your day been?!', life in space!!" she mused grinning her head off.

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2016, 12:29:43 am »
Mess Hall

It had been another long shift.  That alone made Ruth ponder as she wandered into the mess hall... time, it was a strange thing.  One unit of 8 hours on a shift could fly past, or it could drag to the point it felt like 8 days rather than the simple hours.  But saying a 'long shift' when it had been exactly the same duration was strange.

Shaking her head as if to clear it she made a mental note that she had to schedule the sparring sessions with Raynor.  She looked at her stomach... she had noticed a small amount of thickening there as when she was a lowly Ensign she ran around far more 'gophering' and worked off more... it wouldn't hurt having a bit more exercise.  She seemed to sit doing paperwork on PADDs a lot more these days.  Sparring with the Klingon, who showed no mercy was like exercising with a particularly mean Drill Sergeant who gave you nothing but a rougish grin at the end of it when he was pleased with you and a grunt.  It was an arrangement that would work and it allowed her to throw blades around  without anyone, except maybe herself, getting hurt... and then it would only be the odd bruise or cut.

Spotting Will she smiled to herself, how could she have managed to be so lucky as to be 'involved' one way or another with the two sexiest men on the ship?!  Will was her partner and she was thinking of asking Constance if they could move into one or other of their quarters.  What Will had said to her this morning about actually being able to sleep, well it had hit home.  Maybe if they went to see Ilana first, if it was a medical thing then that might lend more weight.

"Is this the latest fashion in Ops?!" she said looking at the rather grubby jumpsuit.  "I'm guessing someone was rather hungry and came here rather than going and getting changed?!"  she started moving towards the queue for the replicator.

"Grab a table..." she called over, "...I'll be with you in a moment."

Ruth waited her turn in the queue then got herself some BLT sandwiches on toasted bread and a large pot of Ratkajino, figuring they'd probably want more than one drink and Will would already have a mug.

She looked around and saw Will wave briefly from a table on the other side of the Mess Hall and walked over and slid in beside him.

"So..." she started having a mouthful of BLT and washing it down with a much needed mouthful of coffee.  "... you tell me about the jumpsuit and how it's so grubby, and I'll tell you how many times per day a Weeper plant needs feeding!" she joked.

Laughing suddenly she said "You know, until we retire this is going to be our equivalent of coming home from work and saying 'Hello dear, so how's your day been?!', life in space!!" she mused grinning her head off.
[Mess Hall]

Will had just sunk his teeth into the first sandwich when Ruth approached but before he could chew and swallow she was gone to place her order. He noticed she got her order faster then he did and chalked it up to his ever-present bad luck.

"Huh? Oh right, the jumpsuit." He nodded lazily and took a bite from his sandwich "Today was inspection day for the Operations Staff and I like to keep myself active when on duty so I took the work order that checked the main lines from the Bridge to Main Engineering. Sounds simple until you realize that a secondary transfer relay has fused shut between Decks 3 and 4. Took me a hour and a half just to wiggle the blasted thing free. Nevermind the ways I had to contort myself to do it! But it's done and done right." He unzipped his jumpsuit and shurgged it off his shoulders to reveal his gold uniform that was stained with sweat "I hope your shift involved less Jefferies Tubes and sweaty personnel."
RESERVED

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 02:17:45 pm »
[Mess Hall]

Will had just sunk his teeth into the first sandwich when Ruth approached but before he could chew and swallow she was gone to place her order. He noticed she got her order faster then he did and chalked it up to his ever-present bad luck.

"Huh? Oh right, the jumpsuit." He nodded lazily and took a bite from his sandwich "Today was inspection day for the Operations Staff and I like to keep myself active when on duty so I took the work order that checked the main lines from the Bridge to Main Engineering. Sounds simple until you realize that a secondary transfer relay has fused shut between Decks 3 and 4. Took me a hour and a half just to wiggle the blasted thing free. Nevermind the ways I had to contort myself to do it! But it's done and done right." He unzipped his jumpsuit and shurgged it off his shoulders to reveal his gold uniform that was stained with sweat "I hope your shift involved less Jefferies Tubes and sweaty personnel."

Mess Hall

Ruth giggled "I got about 50% of that prior to the last sentence! When you go full-on Ops Chief on me it might as well be another language, mind you, if I get going on Science I'm probably just as bad!"

She took a swig of coffee and said "Wanna swap half a BLT for half a grilled cheese?  That looks good!! And I have more coffee, given the queues at the moment and both of us liking our coffee I didn't want to re-queue for a top up so I brought a pot!  As for less jefferies tubes and sweat..."

Ruth looked at Will's tunic stained with sweat, "You could say that but I wouldn't say no to a long water shower with you!"

You could see she was still grinning around the sides of her sandwich as she took a mouthful.

"Shift wise, mostly boring.  PADDs and PADDs of paperwork and reports. The highlight of the shift was hearing Raynor Hughes swearing at someone in Klingon for so much as looking funny at his beloved Weeper plant.  I swear it's called Ilana, seriously.  He looks after it... tho it is a rather fastidious sort of plant, needs very careful handling, almost as tenderly as he looks after our CMO.  This ship is starting to remind me of the old Arizona... the Love Boat!!"

Taking another bite and carefully chewing she said, "I've been thinking and you with the sweaty thing... it's a pretty sedentary life if we don't have invading Klingon Pirates or something when I'm down in Sciences.  Even on the Bridge I am generally sat monitoring stuff.  I use my brain in Science rather than being in a more active position. Soooo...."

She took a miniscule roll of fat between her finger and thumb at her midriff.

"...I need to get rid of this.  Now we could go work out in a gym together, not that you need to but it would keep me motivated, or I could go see the CSTO and ask if I can train with the Security lot when they do their drills.  I don't know about this ship but I remember on the Britannia and Challenger when I was in Security it was pretty demanding.  B'Ozian was a pretty hard task master and didn't let anyone slack.  Only exceptions were if you'd sustained injury and had been to Sickbay for treatment... then you were allowed to do light training.  The other alternative for my exercise..."

She took another mouthful of coffee, and finding it almost cold, mentally shrugged and drank it down anyhow, then slowly poured herself a fresh cup from the pot.  The pot was more like a thermos flask and kept the coffee hot. 

Ruth was stalling a little, she knew that the incident on the Bridge with Raynor was causing some degree of annoyance with Will, but he always seemed to mask his true feelings.

"...I can do some weapon training with Raynor."  Rushing straight on before he had a chance to speak she said "...It gives me a chance to really let out my Viking side and throw axes at things in the holodeck and he volunteered to teach me how to use a Bat'leth and I have to admit I have a d'k targ that he gave me... fair exchange actually it was the weapon of the Klingon pirate who had my axe buried in his head... on sorry, you're eating."

She let out a little giggle thinking.  Her Viking side had been a bit sullen and hidden until recently but it wanted to break free.  "... I'm sure learning to use bat'leth, mek'leth, jejtaj, D'k tagh, Haf'leth, chonnaQ, qutiuch, and 'oy'naQ would be a huge work out.  One day I might earn the right to own a bat'leth.  But that is the honour of a warrior and I respect them enough that I wouldn't have one to call my own... I mean outside of training, until I truly knew how to use one.  So which do you think is the best method to get rid of this flab?!"

She bit down on her sandwich. "Fewer of these would probably be a good idea but I don't care, I won't have anything else until perhaps a light snack later if we watch a movie or something together."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:21:16 pm by Ruth Sigurdsdottir »

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 10:37:10 pm »
Mess Hall

Ruth giggled "I got about 50% of that prior to the last sentence! When you go full-on Ops Chief on me it might as well be another language, mind you, if I get going on Science I'm probably just as bad!"

She took a swig of coffee and said "Wanna swap half a BLT for half a grilled cheese?  That looks good!! And I have more coffee, given the queues at the moment and both of us liking our coffee I didn't want to re-queue for a top up so I brought a pot!  As for less jefferies tubes and sweat..."

Ruth looked at Will's tunic stained with sweat, "You could say that but I wouldn't say no to a long water shower with you!"

You could see she was still grinning around the sides of her sandwich as she took a mouthful.

"Shift wise, mostly boring.  PADDs and PADDs of paperwork and reports. The highlight of the shift was hearing Raynor Hughes swearing at someone in Klingon for so much as looking funny at his beloved Weeper plant.  I swear it's called Ilana, seriously.  He looks after it... tho it is a rather fastidious sort of plant, needs very careful handling, almost as tenderly as he looks after our CMO.  This ship is starting to remind me of the old Arizona... the Love Boat!!"

Taking another bite and carefully chewing she said, "I've been thinking and you with the sweaty thing... it's a pretty sedentary life if we don't have invading Klingon Pirates or something when I'm down in Sciences.  Even on the Bridge I am generally sat monitoring stuff.  I use my brain in Science rather than being in a more active position. Soooo...."

She took a miniscule roll of fat between her finger and thumb at her midriff.

"...I need to get rid of this.  Now we could go work out in a gym together, not that you need to but it would keep me motivated, or I could go see the CSTO and ask if I can train with the Security lot when they do their drills.  I don't know about this ship but I remember on the Britannia and Challenger when I was in Security it was pretty demanding.  B'Ozian was a pretty hard task master and didn't let anyone slack.  Only exceptions were if you'd sustained injury and had been to Sickbay for treatment... then you were allowed to do light training.  The other alternative for my exercise..."

She took another mouthful of coffee, and finding it almost cold, mentally shrugged and drank it down anyhow, then slowly poured herself a fresh cup from the pot.  The pot was more like a thermos flask and kept the coffee hot. 

Ruth was stalling a little, she knew that the incident on the Bridge with Raynor was causing some degree of annoyance with Will, but he always seemed to mask his true feelings.

"...I can do some weapon training with Raynor."  Rushing straight on before he had a chance to speak she said "...It gives me a chance to really let out my Viking side and throw axes at things in the holodeck and he volunteered to teach me how to use a Bat'leth and I have to admit I have a d'k targ that he gave me... fair exchange actually it was the weapon of the Klingon pirate who had my axe buried in his head... on sorry, you're eating."

She let out a little giggle thinking.  Her Viking side had been a bit sullen and hidden until recently but it wanted to break free.  "... I'm sure learning to use bat'leth, mek'leth, jejtaj, D'k tagh, Haf'leth, chonnaQ, qutiuch, and 'oy'naQ would be a huge work out.  One day I might earn the right to own a bat'leth.  But that is the honour of a warrior and I respect them enough that I wouldn't have one to call my own... I mean outside of training, until I truly knew how to use one.  So which do you think is the best method to get rid of this flab?!"

She bit down on her sandwich. "Fewer of these would probably be a good idea but I don't care, I won't have anything else until perhaps a light snack later if we watch a movie or something together."
[Mess Hall]

"Basically I make sure that when the Helm presses 'Go' that the engines go." He bit into his sandwich and slid the second sandwich Ruth's way "I wouldn't say no to a hot shower. It would be bliss. But I am heading out for a run after I'm done here and your welcome to join me. It gets the blood pumping. Well caffeine in my case." He quietly munched as Ruth described her possible methods of fitness "Ah, Raynor." He simply said "He would definitely be the most 'hands on' approach. Plus you get the added benefit of handling his bat'leth. Once in a lifetime experience I reckon." He poured himself some coffee to warm up his cup "If I'm honest, you don't need to work out. Your not overweight by any stretch of the imagination but if you want to I think the one on one with Raynor would be your best choice. You two could compare axe sizes and whatnot." That last part made his grin a bit. I am a riot. I should do standup!
RESERVED

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2016, 10:55:02 pm »
[Mess Hall]

"Basically I make sure that when the Helm presses 'Go' that the engines go." He bit into his sandwich and slid the second sandwich Ruth's way "I wouldn't say no to a hot shower. It would be bliss. But I am heading out for a run after I'm done here and your welcome to join me. It gets the blood pumping. Well caffeine in my case." He quietly munched as Ruth described her possible methods of fitness "Ah, Raynor." He simply said "He would definitely be the most 'hands on' approach. Plus you get the added benefit of handling his bat'leth. Once in a lifetime experience I reckon." He poured himself some coffee to warm up his cup "If I'm honest, you don't need to work out. Your not overweight by any stretch of the imagination but if you want to I think the one on one with Raynor would be your best choice. You two could compare axe sizes and whatnot." That last part made his grin a bit. I am a riot. I should do standup!

Mess Hall

Ruth giggled and slid over a BLT sandwich by way of 'swapsies'

"Ah see now, that I understand!" she giggled  "Am I right that, for the most part, where Engineering is the 'hardware' you deal with the 'software' of running a ship, if it were a computer say??"

She was trying hard to get her head around what Will did in his job, what made him one of the best Ops officers in the Fleet.

Ruth nearly choked on her sandwich when she heard Will agree to her sparring with Raynor, well he obviously trusted her enough.

"I'll come on that run with you and if you think that I don't need to work out you're wrong... I have put on 10lbs since I started working in Science as I don't get the Sec/Tack routine every morning!  I'll schedule with Raynor too, I need to let off some aggression, or you never know, it might not be a Klingon pirate I throw my next axe at!"

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2016, 03:40:51 am »
Mess Hall

Ruth giggled and slid over a BLT sandwich by way of 'swapsies'

"Ah see now, that I understand!" she giggled  "Am I right that, for the most part, where Engineering is the 'hardware' you deal with the 'software' of running a ship, if it were a computer say??"

She was trying hard to get her head around what Will did in his job, what made him one of the best Ops officers in the Fleet.

Ruth nearly choked on her sandwich when she heard Will agree to her sparring with Raynor, well he obviously trusted her enough.

"I'll come on that run with you and if you think that I don't need to work out you're wrong... I have put on 10lbs since I started working in Science as I don't get the Sec/Tack routine every morning!  I'll schedule with Raynor too, I need to let off some aggression, or you never know, it might not be a Klingon pirate I throw my next axe at!"
[Mess]

"Ops isn't all software" He began, inspecting the BLT now in front of him "Even though software mostly what we control over it is Ops responsibility to ensure scheduling conflicts don't occur and that the crew's personal message get sent to the right transmission station." He paused to take a big bite out of his newly acquired sandwich half. Upon swallowing he continued "We do deal with hardware on occasion if it is vital to the Operations Department much like today."

He gave Ruth a curious look "While it may have annoyed me that you were flirting with Raynor on the Bridge, I see no reason why you can't spar with him. Someone has to keep up with your inner Viking and I know I can under 'certain circumstances'." He laughed to himself "But really, you are lighter then me."
RESERVED

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2016, 09:47:20 pm »
[Mess]

"Ops isn't all software" He began, inspecting the BLT now in front of him "Even though software mostly what we control over it is Ops responsibility to ensure scheduling conflicts don't occur and that the crew's personal message get sent to the right transmission station." He paused to take a big bite out of his newly acquired sandwich half. Upon swallowing he continued "We do deal with hardware on occasion if it is vital to the Operations Department much like today."

He gave Ruth a curious look "While it may have annoyed me that you were flirting with Raynor on the Bridge, I see no reason why you can't spar with him. Someone has to keep up with your inner Viking and I know I can under 'certain circumstances'." He laughed to himself "But really, you are lighter then me."

Mess Hall

"Ah yes, about that..." Ruth started.  "...I dunno what it is about Raynor.  I mean you know I love you Will, but he just stirs something in me.  Possibly the latent Viking-ness, and well.. you know what we can be like when we get bandying words around... it just kinda happened like that.  There was nothing in it, just words, it's not like anything happened or would happen.  He's in love with Ilana, I'm in love with you.. "

She shrugged and finished the grilled cheese "If I eat more of these I'm going to have to run and work them off!! Bring on the run!"

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2016, 03:52:06 am »
Mess Hall

"Ah yes, about that..." Ruth started.  "...I dunno what it is about Raynor.  I mean you know I love you Will, but he just stirs something in me.  Possibly the latent Viking-ness, and well.. you know what we can be like when we get bandying words around... it just kinda happened like that.  There was nothing in it, just words, it's not like anything happened or would happen.  He's in love with Ilana, I'm in love with you.. "

She shrugged and finished the grilled cheese "If I eat more of these I'm going to have to run and work them off!! Bring on the run!"
[Mess]

Will chewed his sandwich as he formulated his response "Maybe it's a sense of instinct" he said, shrugging his shoulders "Despite our abilities to reason and use judgement we still have our hard wired instincts. Perhaps you know, on an unconscious level, that Raynor would be a more suitable mate then myself. I mean he is a burly Klingon while I am, well, me. Your brain sees him as a most suitable person to help produce healthy offspring." He took another bite and felt a smile tug at the comers of his mouth "Or maybe it's just his cologne."
RESERVED

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2016, 01:37:32 pm »
[Mess]

Will chewed his sandwich as he formulated his response "Maybe it's a sense of instinct" he said, shrugging his shoulders "Despite our abilities to reason and use judgement we still have our hard wired instincts. Perhaps you know, on an unconscious level, that Raynor would be a more suitable mate then myself. I mean he is a burly Klingon while I am, well, me. Your brain sees him as a most suitable person to help produce healthy offspring." He took another bite and felt a smile tug at the comers of his mouth "Or maybe it's just his cologne."

Mess Hall

"Eau de burly Klingon?? Does he even wear any?!  To be perfectly honest I've not noticed.  I mean I know what you're saying and yes, ... just nod in the right places if I get too Scientific for you here... human brains are pre-programmed for the women to go for the men that would best protect them and..." she gave a mental wince knowing of Will's injuries in that department, "...have the best chances of impregnating them and producing strong healthy offspring in order to secure the success of the species.  Whereas men, let's just say that checking out women's busts and butts is a natural thing.  Those with 'child bearing hips' and busts like the underside of a cow... then she's going to be able to have children and feed them easily.  Or least that's the theory, probably written by a man because 'easy' births are comparative only!!"

Ruth took a contemplative swig of coffee, and finding it almost cold chugged down the last 3 mouthfuls and poured herself more from the stay-warm flask.

"However, despite a few throwbacks, we have as a species developed a fair bit from Ug and Og trying to produce Ig, I mean you don't bash me over the head with a club and drag me off to reproduce.  We women demand flowers, jewellery, dinner, chocolates, wine and wooing now before we will even contemplate getting into bed with you. So ok I slept in your bed last night but it was sleeping I mean for the reproducing parts.  We have to trust people or be so out of our faces on alcohol or drugs to be able to let someone do that.  Men... well yes some of them are still Neanderthals and that's doing that particular species of humanoid a great injustice but I mean in terms of manners today compared to the bash woman over head mentality.  That is somewhat frowned upon these days but some men still haven't learnt that. But on the whole they've progressed so... Women have too and we want our minds stimulated too.  And you do that Will.  For me you could, but don't worry, you don't... look like an Aldebaran Mud Leech but if you could hold a decent conversation with me and interact with me..."  she shrugged, "... well given that we first connected via a Fleet Lonely Hearts Penpal type thing, you could have been for all I knew.  I just got lucky!"

Ruth contemplated something for a moment.

"I've got to say for the 'protective male' part of the whole caveman theory thing, Ilana's onto a good thing.  I mean, dear sweet little thing that she is, for all she's Cardassian and those are not epithets normally attributed to that species, she's picked the right one to look after her.  Or did he pick her?  I don't know either of them well enough to speculate on that one.  Like a friend once said to me, 'A woman needs someone to love, a man needs someone to come home to.' and he didn't mean that in a bad way.  He meant that the man needs to know that there is someone that loves him waiting in a safe haven, to welcome him home after a hard days work.  In our case that still means me opening the door to my quarters and saying "Hello, love, how's your day been?" but we women are different and we have this inherant need to worry over our menfolk and loved ones, if we don't have someone that we're worried about, life isn't worth living!"

She winked.  "Anyhow enough deep philosophy, are we going for this run or not?!"

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2016, 04:43:35 am »
Mess Hall

"Eau de burly Klingon?? Does he even wear any?!  To be perfectly honest I've not noticed.  I mean I know what you're saying and yes, ... just nod in the right places if I get too Scientific for you here... human brains are pre-programmed for the women to go for the men that would best protect them and..." she gave a mental wince knowing of Will's injuries in that department, "...have the best chances of impregnating them and producing strong healthy offspring in order to secure the success of the species.  Whereas men, let's just say that checking out women's busts and butts is a natural thing.  Those with 'child bearing hips' and busts like the underside of a cow... then she's going to be able to have children and feed them easily.  Or least that's the theory, probably written by a man because 'easy' births are comparative only!!"

Ruth took a contemplative swig of coffee, and finding it almost cold chugged down the last 3 mouthfuls and poured herself more from the stay-warm flask.

"However, despite a few throwbacks, we have as a species developed a fair bit from Ug and Og trying to produce Ig, I mean you don't bash me over the head with a club and drag me off to reproduce.  We women demand flowers, jewellery, dinner, chocolates, wine and wooing now before we will even contemplate getting into bed with you. So ok I slept in your bed last night but it was sleeping I mean for the reproducing parts.  We have to trust people or be so out of our faces on alcohol or drugs to be able to let someone do that.  Men... well yes some of them are still Neanderthals and that's doing that particular species of humanoid a great injustice but I mean in terms of manners today compared to the bash woman over head mentality.  That is somewhat frowned upon these days but some men still haven't learnt that. But on the whole they've progressed so... Women have too and we want our minds stimulated too.  And you do that Will.  For me you could, but don't worry, you don't... look like an Aldebaran Mud Leech but if you could hold a decent conversation with me and interact with me..."  she shrugged, "... well given that we first connected via a Fleet Lonely Hearts Penpal type thing, you could have been for all I knew.  I just got lucky!"

Ruth contemplated something for a moment.

"I've got to say for the 'protective male' part of the whole caveman theory thing, Ilana's onto a good thing.  I mean, dear sweet little thing that she is, for all she's Cardassian and those are not epithets normally attributed to that species, she's picked the right one to look after her.  Or did he pick her?  I don't know either of them well enough to speculate on that one.  Like a friend once said to me, 'A woman needs someone to love, a man needs someone to come home to.' and he didn't mean that in a bad way.  He meant that the man needs to know that there is someone that loves him waiting in a safe haven, to welcome him home after a hard days work.  In our case that still means me opening the door to my quarters and saying "Hello, love, how's your day been?" but we women are different and we have this inherant need to worry over our menfolk and loved ones, if we don't have someone that we're worried about, life isn't worth living!"

She winked.  "Anyhow enough deep philosophy, are we going for this run or not?!"
[Mess]

Will sipped his coffee as Ruth spoke. It was getting cold so he poured the remaining amount into his mug. "You sound like my Biology Teacher back at the Technical Academy. You are more to look at though." He cleaned off his hands and stood up. He made his way to the replicator and recycled his tray.

"You want to do the full length and take it slow or have a shorter one but have it more intense?" He paused for a minute "Oi. Didn't mean for it to sound like that."
RESERVED

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2016, 01:53:54 pm »
[Mess]

Will sipped his coffee as Ruth spoke. It was getting cold so he poured the remaining amount into his mug. "You sound like my Biology Teacher back at the Technical Academy. You are more to look at though." He cleaned off his hands and stood up. He made his way to the replicator and recycled his tray.

"You want to do the full length and take it slow or have a shorter one but have it more intense?" He paused for a minute "Oi. Didn't mean for it to sound like that."

Mess

Ruth let out a guffaw of laughter that caused the occupants of several tables to turn and look at the redhead and smile at her infectious joy.

"Well..." she said, wiping tears of mirth from her eyes.  "...we could just skip the run and go for the intense, and full-length.  All sssss..... erm exercise counts!" she winked.

"Your quarters or mine?!"

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles