Author Topic: Personal Log: Malcolm Adeyemi  (Read 13541 times)

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Personal Log: Luke Stafford
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 06:33:11 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

I had an interaction recently with my department head with which I was not thrilled. I guess this old country boy doesn't need to be with his woman to say the wrong thing the wrong way.

I was unaware that Ensign Xoran is a Trill. I have had little interaction with the group as a whole and her in particular. She seemed shock and offended. I did not intend to offend, but she refused to listen. So be it.

It sounds crazy to some people but there are parts of the universe where aliens are not particularly present. Honest. Starfleet Basic training was the first time I rubbed elbows with aliens extensively. Where I come from it's just not an issue as there are few aliens back in Lycoming, PA.

As I believe I explained in a former log entry my homeland is a place that prides itself on its clannish nature. Things that are on the whole stamped out elsewhere are still quite prevalent where I come from. Maybe not so openly as it used to be, but even 400 years of prosperity cannot heal old wounds or stop the old ways.

Even though I do not ascribe to any of the negative aspects of this homegrown parochialism I do take pride in the overall concept. There was a time when we weren't so homogenized and peaceful. Sterile, almost. I do not yearn for the past or more difficult times but it still has to be said. Maybe I should add this to the list of things I say whenever someone asks me why I joined Starfleet...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:35:26 am by Luke Stafford »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 06:24:32 am »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 07:52:45 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

It seems like I get to say I told you so quite a lot in Starfleet. but I never like to do so. Another one of those instances has just happened.

The containment system has failed on the Gettysburg and the ship is flooded with dangerous diethylamine. In fact, Kirok has sent a fellow blueshirt named Brooks and I to investigate. Joy...

One thing that must be noted, medically speaking. There's not a whole lot you can say to a man who is tripping on LSD that will make him physically snap out of it. The best that can be done is to soothe him through it.

=/\=Computer, make sure that last part is recorded for posterity.=/\=

=/\=Affirmative.=/\=

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:54:32 am by Luke Stafford »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 07:26:00 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

There are times when even a proud father like myself will doubt himself. It's only natural. Before children a man is more free to pursue his interests. But after becoming a father the tasks he needs to do triples and the time to do them shrinks.

Bachelors like to think of themselves as more free and I suppose in a way it's true. I can imagine that that lifestyle can get very lonely, however. In my home (such as it is) there is always something to do and someone there. With this comes noise, disgusting messes and fighting, but it is definitely all worth it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:27:01 am by Luke Stafford »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 08:40:37 am »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:33 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

It seems as if a great deal has been transpiring lately, more than can be absorbed. In the midst of all this I seem to have forgotten that I am going to be a father soon. In three weeks we will be able to find out the sex of the baby.

I am hoping for a boy but my gut says girl. The decision we made to find out early is a bit controversial, according to some folks. But we like to be as prepared as possible, plus neither Laura nor I are noted for our patience.

As ever, my goal is to bring my family onboard with me so I can be there for the birth of my child.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 11:22:01 am »
=Personal log=

Some people allow their lives to be consumed by the wrong things. As fatherhood is once again rapidly approaching, I cannot help but think of just how backwards some people have it.

A man can't win in a war against himself, my father always said. I have not been exercising regularly lately. This is due to our recent mission but is also my nature. When Laura was first pregnant with Gerald I definitely packed on some sympathy pounds. This is natural and expected. In my mind, this is not the time for killing myself with calisthenics and a diatribe on myself. It is likely that we will not be having another child. Now is the time to enjoy life and to be reflective, but not to go overboard, of course.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 06:55:01 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

The war games are heating up. PO2 Sukal has chosen the saucer section and I the helm. It's kind of fun, seeing myself in that officer's uniform, even if it is only a holographic promotion.

I still have to wonder how we can possibly win, however. Sukal is skilled at what he does but Lieutenant Commander Kirok is third in command of the Gettysburg. He's also got the battle bridge and a more powerful vessel. I shall do my best.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2013, 07:53:13 am »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 07:54:55 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

It seems as if it has been forever and a day since the last time I saw the face of my son. I remember back home he would be gone for a day or two and I would be amaze at how much he had grown during that time. When I get home now it will seem as if he has grown up completely.

A man tends to forget how everything was once new. A child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind. When they awaken and begin to learn it's all new.

Some very enlightened thinkers back on earth a few centuries ago postulated some staggering philosophical truths. A man's mind is always recording, compiling information, and storing it. Just like when he listens to the same song or practices a skill over and over it gets easier and his mind records less.

Athletes and soldiers often speak of the perception of time slowing down or speeding up. This isn't a figment of their imagination or poetic license, however. Their minds are simply so attuned to the task at hand that they can slow down their perception and react accordingly.

Right now my son's life must be moving very slow. His mind is still recording many new things for the first time. I am envious of him as most things in his life are brand new.

For me it's very different. 28 years of nonstop recording have rendered me nigh invulnerable to perceiving things. I zone out entire days of my life, even weeks or months with little different happening. This is both comforting and frightening.

I truly hope I can be there more for my son when I get back home. I want to be one of those things he is experiencing.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

The Gettysburg is finally free of the diethylamine. Thanks to some quick thinking on the part of blueshirts Dimitri Brooks and Luke Stafford, that is.  I don't recall security doing anything but thumping skulls and grunting.

All ingenuous levities aside, our situation is FUBAR. Half of the ship is suffering from chemical burn inhalations. The ship's counselor is also going to have a time sorting out all of the emotional trauma.

Almost makes me glad I'm up to my elbows in scarred alveoli.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 10:26:56 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

Sickbay is seeing a lot of traffic these days. At first we were only treating the chemical burns and the inhalations. But every kind of injury can and did take place during a ship wide panic.

Myself, I have lacerations to both palms from God knows what. There's also a large bruise on my sternum from that lunk trying to bear hug me from behind. Luckily, I proved I am all brains and brawn and fought him off.

I'm not sure why, but the more travail and trial I go through here makes the ship feel more like home. Does a man define his existence more through suffering or through happiness? It's the suffering that shapes us, my father used to say. I believe he was right. I did not fit in very well when I first got here. But our last foray into the unknown has truly made me feel more at home here. I'm seeing the same faces in the passageways of people who my colleagues in sickbay and I have had to help days before. It's, dare I say, a good, familiar feeling.

My thoughts and prayers still remain with my family, however. That will always be the one constant in my life.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 06:34:12 am »
=/\=Personal log=/\=

What is it with Starfleet and working a man to death? Today I pulled a twelve hour shift. And for what?

Most of the time, of course, I was cruising the Gettysburg computer for entertaining things to read. I suppose I am gifted in that I love to read so much that I can find anything written down enthralling. This includes technical jargon, whether it be medical or mechanical. In this way a man is always stimulated; my father always said boredom is for the unimaginative.

The rest of the day is consumed with the usual hustle and bustle. Riffraff finding ways to injure themselves or something infectious to spread around. Unimportant. No one comes in with anything new, or anything I can learn from.

I know I'm going to kick myself for saying this but I could use some action. I said this before the diethylamine fiasco previously. When will I learn to keep my mouth shut...?

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:17 pm »

=/\=Personal log=/\=

The scuttlebutt in medical is we're headed to some lonely mining outpost. Here's the part where I say I'm looking forward to an uneventful mission. But I think I have learned how that goes by now.

Met Dimitri Brooks in the mess today for breakfast. Say what you will about Starfleet, but they always make sure a man has plenty of replicated food on hand.

DB is a solid guy.He's got a head on his shoulders and an edge of command to him that's unusual for someone so young. I say so young but he's only four short years younger than I. He's already a Senior Crewman and I expect he'll go far. He'll age fast, too. I know I have so far here. Only a short time ago it seemed as if I was just arriving on the Gettysburg. But now it feels like home, and like a home that feeling can be both comforting and unsettling at the same time.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 08:49:29 am »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles