Author Topic: Halloween Special Mission - Your Ideas!  (Read 6470 times)

kawolsky

Halloween Special Mission - Your Ideas!
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:24:47 pm »
Halloween Special Mission - Your Ideas!

As we enter the second half of the month that is September, it's time to decide upon what will be the topic for our Halloween Fleet Special Mission!

From now until October 1st, we'll be taking onboard ideas and suggestions for the style and setting of our next Special Mission, due to commence on Monday 22nd October, in the week leading up to the scariest time of the year.

Maybe the ship encounters a parallel universe where everyone is a Halloween monster? Or perhaps a Starfleet ship is found wondering a lonely sector, it's crew missing? The choice is yours, but for your suggestion to count you must post it in the comments below.

Are you ready for the scariest Special Mission yet?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:46:31 pm by John Kawolsky »

Offline T'Ra Jones

• Deceased/Retired
  • Honoured Member
  • Airlocking Dylan.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Halloween Special Mission - Your Ideas!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:42:29 pm »
Sounds like fun. :D There was a really cool TOS episode that had a Halloween feel to it.

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Offline Riley T. Munro

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Napalm, Necromancy, and Nanomachines
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in May 2013. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:13 pm »
I know Reece had reminded me of an idea he had a while back. But could we do a RL Dia De Los Muertos? A day to remember the dead, or it's literal translation, Day of the Dead.

Post pictures and stories of the people we have lost, and honor them like the holiday is celebrated world wide?

Adolph Klein

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:54:46 pm »
Alright, here's an idea. The fleet would be divided into two ships, two crews and this would be a joint mission type deal.

The USS Phantom, while on a planetary survey mission at Planet X, crashes on the planet. They send out a distress call. A local effect starts making everyone behave oddly. Soon the crew starts displaying supernatural features and abilities. Soon they start transforming into various creatures such as zombies, ghosts, and werewolves and start fighting among each other for dominance.

The USS Exorcist responds to the distress call and has to figure out what happened to the crew of the Phantom and how to reverse it. Before it happens to them....

Just a vague plot outline. I figure it could be something ridiculously simple like the full moon that's emitting a technobabble field that caused everyone who looks at though the atmosphere with it's own technobabble effect to be effected, though I suppose if we go all out we could have a supernatural TOS god like being behind it all.

The class/specification of the ships could be any range from TOS to Nemesis, though I think it'd be more fun if we do it in the TOS, or TOS movie era. Like a Miranda-class for the Phantom and a Constitution or Excelsior for the Exorcist.

Just something I came up with on the spur of the moment, but what do you think?

Offline Raymundo Salas

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present during the 2012 Halloween special mission. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »
HA HA HA do I have one for you.

This is a story I've been working on but just never gotten past the main details and as soon as I read this it popped in mind. It will need tweaking into a progressive story tree with branching scenario, thanks again Adolf for the mission template for reference. And a bit of expanding for multiple tier objectives for the three ships to ether divide and conquer or tackle together.

I don't want to spoil too much but here is the 'back cover' run down

Horizon Station is located in the heart of the Risa Sector. Serving as both trade hub, and commercial real estate for many of the Federations most prominent business'. Starfleet also has contracted several defense contracts with the Station, many of which are highly restricted. But don't worry, as Starfleet spokesmen say "all research conducted is within guidelines and pose no significant risk to the public at large." At least was believed till 1345 hours yesterday. Shadow Fleet, conducting a officers conference and shore leave on Risa has been called upon to investigate the loss of contact with Lab 248: The Silver Key Project. The lab has gone complete black out and you must ascertain the risk to the rest of the station and its people.

I did not submit this mission for the Churchill because it sounded a little too "Monster Movie Mash" but this could be fun here. like I said all I have is some scattered notes but give me a few hours and I will see what I can do.

Offline Rilas Miran

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
  • Maintenance Technician, USS Discovery
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:13 pm »
How about this:

The crew wakes up to real life: they're all normal people on Earth, in 2012. They dismiss their own memories as dreams and go about their daily lives. But a monster is stalking the streets at night. People from their dreams start to go missing, only to turn up later as mutilated corpses. The crew must take on their personas from their dreams to fight the horror stalking them.

In the twenty fourth century, a previously unknown alien race has captured the entire crew and placed them in comas, feeding on their collective neural energy. The feedings manifest in the collective dream as the brutal murders.

Think of this like that DS9 episode where Sisko becomes Benny in the 50's, with some Supernatural-esque Djin-like alien vampire things thrown in. The(PCs) could develop their 21st century characters in similar roles as their real characters in an office building or something. There could even be one or two still awake on their ship, actively fighting the aliens.

John Brown

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 09:30:39 am »
Here is the Situation for mine:

Its been 15 to 20 Years Since Captian Jean-Luc Picard and the U.S.S Enterprise-D stoped Commander Remmick, but where did the Commander Send the Signal.

Flash Forward...........You are on the Federation Starship Andromeda its mission is to Patrol The Federation/Romluan Netual Zone its a Intrepid Class Starship and has been assigned for the Past Three Months.

Meanwhile the U.S.S Tongo returns from Deep Space its heading directly for Earth its mission is to get to Earth were the Parasites with enact revenge.But What is not known they are really Mutated Forms of Trills whos plans to distroy Trill.

Offline Michael Ferdinand

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Given to the SIMM that has survived the roughest storm during the year. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:46:51 am »
Finally we do something like this! :D

I was thinking that the Command officers, if not also the Department Heads, get possessed by demons like in Supernatural.

Here is the formal layout:
It's the graveyard shift, the last shift that the crew of the [insert ship(s) here] will have to spend before they are free ti leave and continue on their exploration. Suddenly, in the distance, black smoke can be seen going through the terminal into the ship and winding through all of the various corridors. The lights flicker and ship systems begin to malfunction.

Naturally, all of the Department Heads and Command Officers are made aware of this and make their way to their designated stations. However, just as they prepare to leave, black smoke appears and forces itself into every DH and Command Officer, possessing them. Yet something isn't right. It was like the smoke knew exactly where to go. There is an insider in the ranks of the [insert ship(s) here], one that told the demons where and when to strike.

With the most senior officers under control of a demonic influence, it is up to the junior officers and the crewman to save the ship and their colleagues while also finding out who the insider is, before it's too late.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:48:56 am by Alyssa Meadows »

Everything must be earned, for if it is given, there are no lessons learned.

Offline Grace Masters

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:23 pm »
Finally we do something like this! :D

I was thinking that the Command officers, if not also the Department Heads, get possessed by demons like in Supernatural.

It's the graveyard shift, the last shift that the crew of the [insert ship(s) here] will have to spend before they are free ti leave and continue on their exploration. Suddenly, in the distance, black smoke can be seen going through the terminal into the ship and winding through all of the various corridors. The lights flicker and ship systems begin to malfunction.

Naturally, all of the Department Heads and Command Officers are made aware of this and make their way to their designated stations. However, just as they prepare to leave, black smoke appears and forces itself into every DH and Command Officer, possessing them. Yet something isn't right. It was like the smoke knew exactly where to go. There is an insider in the ranks of the [insert ship(s) here], one that told the demons where and when to strike.

With the most senior officers under control of a demonic influence, it is up to the junior officers and the crewman to save the ship and their colleagues while also finding out who the insider is, before it's too late.

If we did this we could reprogram the computer to add an EEH:

Set phasers to kill.

Shelaf Greegy

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »
I hope you guy's don't mind if I critique your ideas?

Alright, here's an idea. The fleet would be divided into two ships, two crews and this would be a joint mission type deal.

The USS Phantom, while on a planetary survey mission at Planet X, crashes on the planet. They send out a distress call. A local effect starts making everyone behave oddly. Soon the crew starts displaying supernatural features and abilities. Soon they start transforming into various creatures such as zombies, ghosts, and werewolves and start fighting among each other for dominance.

The USS Exorcist responds to the distress call and has to figure out what happened to the crew of the Phantom and how to reverse it. Before it happens to them....
Nice idea, rather difficult in execution. It would certainly be fun, but difficult to control. In addition, one of the main points of a fleet mission is that everyone comes together on one ship to RP. Possibly, instead of the crew changing, the planets native creatures are the ones that are werwolfy vampiric zombiefied weirdos?

Horizon Station is located in the heart of the Risa Sector. Serving as both trade hub, and commercial real estate for many of the Federations most prominent business'. Starfleet also has contracted several defense contracts with the Station, many of which are highly restricted. But don't worry, as Starfleet spokesmen say "all research conducted is within guidelines and pose no significant risk to the public at large." At least was believed till 1345 hours yesterday. Shadow Fleet, conducting a officers conference and shore leave on Risa has been called upon to investigate the loss of contact with Lab 248: The Silver Key Project. The lab has gone complete black out and you must ascertain the risk to the rest of the station and its people.
Intriguing. As you say, it doesn't give much away about what is actually happening in the mission, which is presumably something you have planned in your own head. I imagine this will be similiar to that DS9 episode with the abandoned station and the nutty Cardassians.

How about this:

The crew wakes up to real life: they're all normal people on Earth, in 2012. They dismiss their own memories as dreams and go about their daily lives. But a monster is stalking the streets at night. People from their dreams start to go missing, only to turn up later as mutilated corpses. The crew must take on their personas from their dreams to fight the horror stalking them.

In the twenty fourth century, a previously unknown alien race has captured the entire crew and placed them in comas, feeding on their collective neural energy. The feedings manifest in the collective dream as the brutal murders.

Think of this like that DS9 episode where Sisko becomes Benny in the 50's, with some Supernatural-esque Djin-like alien vampire things thrown in. The(PCs) could develop their 21st century characters in similar roles as their real characters in an office building or something. There could even be one or two still awake on their ship, actively fighting the aliens.
Another interesting one that could be quite difficult in execution. With this idea, it's possible for people to take it in completely their own direction which could result in major confusion!

Its been 15 to 20 Years Since Captian Jean-Luc Picard and the U.S.S Enterprise-D stoped Commander Remmick, but where did the Commander Send the Signal.

Flash Forward...........You are on the Federation Starship Andromeda its mission is to Patrol The Federation/Romluan Netual Zone its a Intrepid Class Starship and has been assigned for the Past Three Months.

Meanwhile the U.S.S Tongo returns from Deep Space its heading directly for Earth its mission is to get to Earth were the Parasites with enact revenge.But What is not known they are really Mutated Forms of Trills whos plans to distroy Trill.
Hmm. I like how it latches onto existing canon, certainly. It needs a lot of developing but could be great.

The only difficulty I see is that it seems to have excessive focus on the poor crewmen. Remember that people apply for roles in fleet missions, so people could end up with the short straw of not having a playable character because it'd been possessed by a demon. Maybe all the crew that are infected are NPC's and it's up to the PC's to sort it out. Like a Starship zombie apocolypse thing?

Offline Grace Masters

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 01:29:37 pm »
The only difficulty I see is that it seems to have excessive focus on the poor crewmen. Remember that people apply for roles in fleet missions, so people could end up with the short straw of not having a playable character because it'd been possessed by a demon. Maybe all the crew that are infected are NPC's and it's up to the PC's to sort it out. Like a Starship zombie apocolypse thing?

I dunno if this is the one that I would want to personally do, but why would a possessed character not be playable? I think it would be the ones that a lot of poeple would want to play because they get to be some evil bastards. If they do like they do on the show Supernatural, these characters in a lot of instances hide that they are demons and use trickery to bring about destruction... I think they are at least very playable.

Set phasers to kill.

Offline Raymundo Salas

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present during the 2012 Halloween special mission. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 01:36:06 pm »
/snip
Intriguing. As you say, it doesn't give much away about what is actually happening in the mission, which is presumably something you have planned in your own head. I imagine this will be similiar to that DS9 episode with the abandoned station and the nutty Cardassians.
/snip

I have more written down. But now that I am actually putting some thought into it it is coming to together quiet nicely. The above blurb is just what I already had. I could make it more detailed but the idea is basically Doom meets Star Trek with a healthy dose of survival horror.

Adolph Klein

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 01:51:48 pm »
I hope you guy's don't mind if I critique your ideas?
Nice idea, rather difficult in execution. It would certainly be fun, but difficult to control. In addition, one of the main points of a fleet mission is that everyone comes together on one ship to RP. Possibly, instead of the crew changing, the planets native creatures are the ones that are werwolfy vampiric zombiefied weirdos

I wasn't proposing to control it, things would spin out of control. But there's a built in reset button with the moon setting and turning everyone back to normal. I don't see how your point about everyone coming together to RP is relevant being it would involve everyone. Though it does bring up a point I'll touch up later in this post. Though your idea of rescuing the crew of a crashed ship on planet Halloween Horror is a good alternate idea if you're going for "control" of the environment. Though I thought the whole point of this was to let loose and have fun.

Isn't that like the exact plot of the DS9 novels Lesser Evil and Unity?  :P

Anyways, a zombie apocalypse idea might be fun where a member of the crew becomes infected with "zombism" and spreads it by biting other crew members and the meds have to come up with a cure before the zombies take over the ship. 

To the point I brought up about the everyone RPing together comment... really it strikes me as worth considering to have two separate missions going on from the best two ideas. It just strikes me as too chaotic to have 30 plus people going at a single mission thread. This may have worked in the past when the fleet was smaller, but I think times and circumstances do evolve and change. This would still get everyone out of the box and rping with people they don't usually get to, which is the entire point yes?

Offline Michael Ferdinand

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Given to the SIMM that has survived the roughest storm during the year. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »
I see your point when it comes to the focus on the crewman and junior officers. The reason why I suggested this type of mission was to give them something to do and not feel left out of the mission or find it seemingly impossible to force themselves in. As for the senior officers, the people would still be able to write but the possessed characters would have to be darker and more evil (IE: Alyssa during her woman time).

After I take this test that I am stressing out about, I'll give you a more detailed plan than the one above.

Everything must be earned, for if it is given, there are no lessons learned.

Shelaf Greegy

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 05:02:28 pm »
I see your point when it comes to the focus on the crewman and junior officers. The reason why I suggested this type of mission was to give them something to do and not feel left out of the mission or find it seemingly impossible to force themselves in. As for the senior officers, the people would still be able to write but the possessed characters would have to be darker and more evil (IE: Alyssa during her woman time).
I think you misunderstand. People who play crewmen in normal missions could have any role in the special mission, from CO downwards.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles