Author Topic: Season 8, Mission 03: The Ark  (Read 46347 times)

Archangel Koris

Re: Season 8, Mission 3: The Ark
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 03:35:39 pm »
" Well, we're not exactly sure. There's been fleeting contact with the ship, the specifics are a little fuzzy. But here's what we have. "

Scott brought up the documents which had all the information starfleet had on this mysterious ship.

" The first documented Sighting  was made by a Klingon Bird of Prey in 2291. It contained detailed sensor readings of the vessel. It's almost ecliptic in shape being 1500m x 500m x 200m. Hull is an organic compound, though scans can't penetrate it, Same goes for transporters. Upon decloaking to use it for target practice, the alien vessel sent a comm transmission that filled every speaker and comm system with a static like noise that damaged the hearing on some and overloaded all comm systems to the point of physical damage. Considering this an attack, the Klingons fired. No damage was done to the vessel, which seemed to regenerate almost immediately. A pulse fired from it, though no weapon port was detected, which struck the Klingon ship, overloading it's electrical systems and disabling them entirely. The alien vessel then escaped at high warp, disappearing from long range sensors entirely. The Klingons spent days repairing their damage before they could get underway again. "

Reece exhaled sharply. "Whoa, sounds like something we don't want to get on the wrong side of."

=/\= Mr Klein, set a course for the Soltaire system. Warp 6. =/\=

Archangel's curiosity was indeed piqued at the mention of a mystery surrounding a ship.  Could this be anything to do with that scavenger ship that got away from them a few weeks ago?  As the captain described what the Klingon vessel had seen, she keyed a few words into her PADD.  Organic hull?  Unusual, certainly, but not unheard of.  There had been a couple of instances of organic ships seen by Federation vessels.  She chewed the end of her stylus, frowning slightly at the notes she had taken.  The weapon specifications seemed odd.  She wasn't sure if there was any defense possible against it, or whether they would even need a defense.  Feeling like a child in school, she raised her hand tentatively.
"Excuse me, captain," she said, "What is our mission regarding this vessel?  Will we need to adapt our defenses or are we going in with the least hostile intent possible?"

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »
Archangel's curiosity was indeed piqued at the mention of a mystery surrounding a ship.  Could this be anything to do with that scavenger ship that got away from them a few weeks ago?  As the captain described what the Klingon vessel had seen, she keyed a few words into her PADD.  Organic hull?  Unusual, certainly, but not unheard of.  There had been a couple of instances of organic ships seen by Federation vessels.  She chewed the end of her stylus, frowning slightly at the notes she had taken.  The weapon specifications seemed odd.  She wasn't sure if there was any defense possible against it, or whether they would even need a defense.  Feeling like a child in school, she raised her hand tentatively.
"Excuse me, captain," she said, "What is our mission regarding this vessel?  Will we need to adapt our defenses or are we going in with the least hostile intent possible?"

Reece jumped in here quickly, "I recommend we head in shoring up our defenses. We shouldn't stall, but we shouldn't go in completely open either."

He looked around at Bradley, "I'd be more than happy to help with the defenses sir."

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Archangel Koris

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 04:56:09 pm »
Reece jumped in here quickly, "I recommend we head in shoring up our defenses. We shouldn't stall, but we shouldn't go in completely open either."

He looked around at Bradley, "I'd be more than happy to help with the defenses sir."

"What will you be needing from Engineering, sir?" Archangel asked, directing her question to the First Officer.  "For the moment, everything is running smoothly, so power shouldn't be an issue."  She glanced down at her notes.  "I'm not quite sure how we can defend ourselves against the unknown vessel, but if we could have a little time, we should be able to come up with something."

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »
"What will you be needing from Engineering, sir?" Archangel asked, directing her question to the First Officer.  "For the moment, everything is running smoothly, so power shouldn't be an issue."  She glanced down at her notes.  "I'm not quite sure how we can defend ourselves against the unknown vessel, but if we could have a little time, we should be able to come up with something."

"I'm not sure. I was thinking more, I can assist you if you need it. You know more about the ships defense systems than I do. I just know how to use them." He smiled.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Archangel Koris

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 01:26:26 pm »
"I'm not sure. I was thinking more, I can assist you if you need it. You know more about the ships defense systems than I do. I just know how to use them." He smiled.

Archangel nodded in acknowledgement, looking down at her notes again.  Possibilities were starting to form in her mind as to how she could try and circumvent this particular problem.  She keyed a few more words into her PADD to remind herself before glancing up at the other officers.
"I'd like to get back to Engineering to start work on the defenses, if possible," she said, unsure if the meeting was over or not.

Offline Scott Bradley

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Flight Control Officer, USS Challenger
  • Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 05:18:12 pm »
Archangel nodded in acknowledgement, looking down at her notes again.  Possibilities were starting to form in her mind as to how she could try and circumvent this particular problem.  She keyed a few more words into her PADD to remind herself before glancing up at the other officers.
"I'd like to get back to Engineering to start work on the defenses, if possible," she said, unsure if the meeting was over or not.

" You two can work on the defences, good idea. We still have more on the briefing.

the second Documented Sighting  was by the USS Alamo, in 2340 on the outskirts of the Alpha Centauri system. The Alamo followed it at far range, conducting long range scans for sometime, after identifying the ship as the same vessel the Klingons had encountered. As the Alamo got closer, it too was challenged by a similar transmission that the Klingons received. It too overloaded their communications systems. After thirty seconds, the ship again jumped to warp. The Alamo tried to pursue, but was not capable of keeping up with the vessel. Coupled with the vessel having a low sensor profile, the ship eluded them almost immediately. A partial account of the transmission exists in Starfleet scientific records. Painstaking forensic work determined by comparison of the intact portions of the Klingon and Federation encounters that overlapped, that this was the same transmission.

Take anything you can use from those records to try and jury rig a defence for us. "

Kyle Briggs

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
Kyle was in Engineering when he heard the call for the Senior Staff. He knew T'Koris would be attending and tried to keep himself busy while at the same time, anxiously awaiting her return. He was eager to find out about the new mission.

Adolph Klein

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »
The proximity indicator on Crewman Adolph Klein's console beeped very annoyingly, indicating they were nearing their destination. Klein hastily jabbed the button to mute the annoying sound. Having taken the liberty to look up information on this Soltair system, he found nothing particularly remarkable about it. No habitable worlds, and no strategic value to be certain. Why they were going there was beyond him. But they were almost there, so the important people in their meeting would need to know.

=/\="Bridge to Observation Lounge," Klein gave the formal statement, "now approaching the Soltair system." =/\=

Klein briefly looked over his shoulder not sure who had the bridge, but it didn't really matter. Moments later the starlines flashing by on the screen slowed down as they took their natural form and the Discovery slowed to impulse.

"Now entering the Soltair system" Klein reported to whoever was listening and may be in command. There was no telling with officers.

A few well practiced touches with his fingertips on the panel slowed the ship to one quarter impulse on a heading that wouldn't hit anything for a number of days. Maybe soon this oh so important meeting would be over and he'd find out why they were here.

Shelaf Greegy

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 09:32:10 pm »
" You two can work on the defences, good idea. We still have more on the briefing.

the second Documented Sighting  was by the USS Alamo, in 2340 on the outskirts of the Alpha Centauri system. The Alamo followed it at far range, conducting long range scans for sometime, after identifying the ship as the same vessel the Klingons had encountered. As the Alamo got closer, it too was challenged by a similar transmission that the Klingons received. It too overloaded their communications systems. After thirty seconds, the ship again jumped to warp. The Alamo tried to pursue, but was not capable of keeping up with the vessel. Coupled with the vessel having a low sensor profile, the ship eluded them almost immediately. A partial account of the transmission exists in Starfleet scientific records. Painstaking forensic work determined by comparison of the intact portions of the Klingon and Federation encounters that overlapped, that this was the same transmission.

Take anything you can use from those records to try and jury rig a defence for us. "
Shelaf, who had kept his silence to far, spoke up. "Woah! Mysterious aliens and our first thought turns to attack and defence!?" He stood up, pacing the length of the room and turning back. "What about setting up first contact protocols, finding a way to make peaceful contact, modifying our sensors to get through the hull? These are all things we need to think of. How about protecting our comms system from the overload, do we have logs of the comms message?"

He stopped pacing and turned to glare at the assembled officers, his gaze focusing on Reece. "There's no need for you to be bothered with tactical systems, sir. I can deal with that. I've been using them long enough. If the science department..." here he nodded at Lee "Can figure out what that message is, that will free up Engineering to figure out how to protect our comm systems, reinforcing them against whatever that message is." He sighed and sat down.

"Seems to me this is a peaceful, first contact mission. Theres no indication this ship has any hostile intent, and when they see a ship cruise up thats raising shields and all manner of tactical systems, it'll assume the worst. I'd recommend not making any moves that could be seen as even slightly provocative, or this thing will jab us and run faster than we can react." He finished speaking and looked at the assembled officers, awaiting their opinions.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:34:57 pm by Shelaf Greegy »

Archangel Koris

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »
Shelaf, who had kept his silence to far, spoke up. "Woah! Mysterious aliens and our first thought turns to attack and defence!?" He stood up, pacing the length of the room and turning back. "What about setting up first contact protocols, finding a way to make peaceful contact, modifying our sensors to get through the hull? These are all things we need to think of. How about protecting our comms system from the overload, do we have logs of the comms message?"

He stopped pacing and turned to glare at the assembled officers, his gaze focusing on Reece. "There's no need for you to be bothered with tactical systems, sir. I can deal with that. I've been using them long enough. If the science department..." here he nodded at Lee "Can figure out what that message is, that will free up Engineering to figure out how to protect our comm systems, reinforcing them against whatever that message is." He sighed and sat down.

"Seems to me this is a peaceful, first contact mission. Theres no indication this ship has any hostile intent, and when they see a ship cruise up thats raising shields and all manner of tactical systems, it'll assume the worst. I'd recommend not making any moves that could be seen as even slightly provocative, or this thing will jab us and run faster than we can react." He finished speaking and looked at the assembled officers, awaiting their opinions.

As she listened to Chief Greegy's remarks about it being a first contact style mission, Archangel's face took on a slightly greenish tint as she flushed in embarrassement.  For a moment, she wrestled with her conscience about talking back to senior officers.  Her more rebellious side won.
"I didn't mean that we go into this with an aggressive posture, Chief," she said.  "I thought that we should at least have the capability of defending ourselves against any possible threat.  We don't have to engage the measures if the vessel doesn't prove to be hostile."  She glanced down at her PADD before looking up at the captain.  "I think our best defense against the transmission is to disable all power to the internal communication systems.  Take them offline completely.  But, as a fail-safe, it might be prudent to replicate ear defenders for all crewmembers and have sickbay standing by, in case it doesn't work."

In the back of her mind, she prayed tat it would.  It was one of the downsides of going up againt the unknown : You had no idea how todefend yourself against it should it prove to be hostile.  However, the excitement factor made up for it.  This was one of the main good points to space exploration, discovering new forms of life.

While she waited for someone to voice their opinion about her defense plan against the harmful transmission, she glanced down at her PADD.  One problem potentially out of the way, two more to go, and she only had the faintest inkling of how to deal wth them.  She was definitely going to need Tactical's help on this one.  Weapons systems were not one of her specialities.

Offline Scott Bradley

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »
As she listened to Chief Greegy's remarks about it being a first contact style mission, Archangel's face took on a slightly greenish tint as she flushed in embarrassement.  For a moment, she wrestled with her conscience about talking back to senior officers.  Her more rebellious side won.
"I didn't mean that we go into this with an aggressive posture, Chief," she said.  "I thought that we should at least have the capability of defending ourselves against any possible threat.  We don't have to engage the measures if the vessel doesn't prove to be hostile."  She glanced down at her PADD before looking up at the captain.  "I think our best defense against the transmission is to disable all power to the internal communication systems.  Take them offline completely.  But, as a fail-safe, it might be prudent to replicate ear defenders for all crewmembers and have sickbay standing by, in case it doesn't work."

In the back of her mind, she prayed tat it would.  It was one of the downsides of going up againt the unknown : You had no idea how todefend yourself against it should it prove to be hostile.  However, the excitement factor made up for it.  This was one of the main good points to space exploration, discovering new forms of life.

While she waited for someone to voice their opinion about her defense plan against the harmful transmission, she glanced down at her PADD.  One problem potentially out of the way, two more to go, and she only had the faintest inkling of how to deal wth them.  She was definitely going to need Tactical's help on this one.  Weapons systems were not one of her specialities.

As Scott stood up and prepared to head for the bridge, he nodded at the young lieutenant's statements.

" I agree with the lieutenant chief. While I'm in now way looking for a fight, I don't want to be disabled all the way out here. Archangel, you and Lee work together and see if there's a way we can nullify the effects of this transmission. 

Let's go people, we've got a mystery awaiting us. "

Shelaf Greegy

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 02:00:58 pm »
As Scott stood up and prepared to head for the bridge, he nodded at the young lieutenant's statements.

" I agree with the lieutenant chief. While I'm in now way looking for a fight, I don't want to be disabled all the way out here. Archangel, you and Lee work together and see if there's a way we can nullify the effects of this transmission. 

Shelaf nodded, moving over to Scott. "Could you wait a moment sir, please?" He asked, adressing Scott in an undertone.

Offline Scott Bradley

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »
Shelaf nodded, moving over to Scott. "Could you wait a moment sir, please?" He asked, adressing Scott in an undertone.

As the rest of the crew moved out of the room, Scott and Shelaf remained.

" What's on your mind chief? "

Offline Lee Armstrong

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Chief Science Officer, USS Discovery
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the B.O.R.G. Featured Mission:  The First Battle with the Borg: USS Valour Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 02:34:19 pm »

Lee and Archangel wasted no time in heading to the main science console. As they both sat down, Lee began thinking of ways to firstly resist the damaging effects of the signal, and how to tune there sensors to get detailed scans of the ship.

" Alright lieutenant, how are we going to get past this one? The previous encounters yielded almost nothing. Our sensors will just ping off of the ship if at this range. But conversely, that transmission shouldn't hurt us at this distance. "

He pressed a few buttons on the console, using the quick processing power of the ships computer to crunch some numbers.

" Seem's to me like the problems start when we get within medium to close range. Could suggest an automatic response? A defence reflex if you will. "

Archangel Koris

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:00 pm »
Lee and Archangel wasted no time in heading to the main science console. As they both sat down, Lee began thinking of ways to firstly resist the damaging effects of the signal, and how to tune there sensors to get detailed scans of the ship.

" Alright lieutenant, how are we going to get past this one? The previous encounters yielded almost nothing. Our sensors will just ping off of the ship if at this range. But conversely, that transmission shouldn't hurt us at this distance. "

He pressed a few buttons on the console, using the quick processing power of the ships computer to crunch some numbers.

" Seem's to me like the problems start when we get within medium to close range. Could suggest an automatic response? A defence reflex if you will. "

Recognising the dismissal of the officers as the end of the meeting, Archangel picke dup her PADD and quickly left the observation lounge, following lt. Armstrong, head bowed over the text scrolling acros the screen as she tried to find solutions to the possible problems.  She put the PADD aside as she took a seat at the science station next to the lieutenant, her eyes following the numbers he was bringing up on the screen as she tucked a lock of hair that had escaped its plait behind a pointed ear.

"Yes, it sounds like a defense reflex, so we probably want to keep our distance from it so as not to cause alarm."  She glanced at her PADD again.  "If we can cut power to the internal comm system, that should take care of the transmission.  I can have Engineering keep the engines primed for a quick escape, but it would still be better if we didn't have to resort to that."  She tapped a nail on the console as she thought for a moment.  "Maybe if we stay at maximum communications range and keep a non aggressive posture to begin with, until we know what it's likely to do." She paused again, collecting her thoughts.  W"e'd have to set up some kind of filtre or scrambler for the comm system though."

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles