Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 09: Flight  (Read 24123 times)

ThomasRiker

Re: Season 1, Mission 09: Flight
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 10:18:28 pm »

Kirok lowed his hand and moved into an at ease position.  "Kirok, Sir" he said in a formal tone.  "How can I be of service?" he asked, looking over the man's shoulder to see what he was doing.

Kirok...Kirok...Kirok... Masters toned in his head, he was focusing on the job at hand and it took him a moment to place the name. Oh right, my new system tech. "I've orders to get the ship ready for combat Crewmen." He said, while using a foot to start kicking through the PADDS until he got the one for him. He found one that he had marked for the man and while essentially pointing at it with his foot said "That PADD has your assignments on it. In a nutshell, I want you to start down in engineering. I want a diagnostic on the routing subsystems, I want to ensure there is nothing going to go wrong when I am punching in commands from the bridge. It has been a while since I have checked things. Make sure that everything is running smoothly down there. We recently installed some weapons upgrades, and I don't know how the system is operating. Once you have finished there, I want you on the bridge and make sure everything is working perfectly on the board." He said, pondering for a moment, his hand noticeably paused as he did so. "Oh, and please, don't mess with my control settings, I have finally gotten them how I like them, and have the authority not to allow them to be reset" He said, a hint of humor in his voice at the last part.

He went back to entering commands. "Dismissed" he toned, then thought briefly, "When we are less swamped I will give you a formal welcome and tour, sorry to just throw you into the mix of things without any warning" He told him, then let go in his mind of the conversation, switching his mind back to the task.

"Computer, lock terminal, authorization Masters 242Alpha9" He ordered, picked up his PADDS and started walking for the bridge. Over his shoulder he yelled "If you have any questions either follow me now or ask them later"

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 10:40:48 pm »
Kirok...Kirok...Kirok... Masters toned in his head, he was focusing on the job at hand and it took him a moment to place the name. Oh right, my new system tech. "I've orders to get the ship ready for combat Crewmen." He said, while using a foot to start kicking through the PADDS until he got the one for him. He found one that he had marked for the man and while essentially pointing at it with his foot said "That PADD has your assignments on it. In a nutshell, I want you to start down in engineering. I want a diagnostic on the routing subsystems, I want to ensure there is nothing going to go wrong when I am punching in commands from the bridge. It has been a while since I have checked things. Make sure that everything is running smoothly down there. We recently installed some weapons upgrades, and I don't know how the system is operating. Once you have finished there, I want you on the bridge and make sure everything is working perfectly on the board." He said, pondering for a moment, his hand noticeably paused as he did so. "Oh, and please, don't mess with my control settings, I have finally gotten them how I like them, and have the authority not to allow them to be reset" He said, a hint of humor in his voice at the last part.

He went back to entering commands. "Dismissed" he toned, then thought briefly, "When we are less swamped I will give you a formal welcome and tour, sorry to just throw you into the mix of things without any warning" He told him, then let go in his mind of the conversation, switching his mind back to the task.

"Computer, lock terminal, authorization Masters 242Alpha9" He ordered, picked up his PADDS and started walking for the bridge. Over his shoulder he yelled "If you have any questions either follow me now or ask them later"

Kirok picked up his PADD.  He would have remembered the brief list of things his superior had mentioned, even a much longer and more detailed list.  But it was obvious that Masters was busy and that his list of duties was on the PADD.  He turned toward engineering when he was dismissed, but stopped when Masters opened the door for questions.   He did have something to discuss with the man.  He turned on his heels and followed Masters as instructed.  "I do have at least one question to start with, Sir" he said as they walked.  He had hoped to have this conversation in the privacy of an office, but that didn't seem to be an option at the moment.  "I assume that you have read over my file and know that I am half Betazoid.  So, I want to be sure that you know that I am a full telepath, capable of both touch and distance telepathy" he explained before his asked his question "What are your and the ships views on the use of telepathy?"

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Raymundo Salas

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present during the 2012 Halloween special mission. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 12:24:23 am »
Masters nodded at her, halfway mumbling for her to have a good day, he was swamped and didn't have a lot of time for pleasantries, and the two of them weren't on the best of terms, though they weren't screaming at each other, so that was at least a good thing. He started heading for the turbolift that Kirok would be coming from. He needed to get rolling on things. As he walked down, he would see a crewman that he had orders for and hand out what he had. He might have been drinking some, but he was still proficient with what he was doing. He stopped at a computer terminal on the way and with a command override and unlocking the security functions. He began punching in orders for the security crew. He was still somewhat short handed, only half of the crew he had assigned on the prison colony had returned. He gave them patrols on the decks, and he set up controls for security force fields. He wasn't in the mood for mistakes, so he made them able to be activated by anyone with appropriate rank or position, but require his authorization to deactivate.

He began routing the weapon systems, getting them prepared for close combat. It wasn't hard, and while they were already versatile, he was able to increase the punch they carried by reducing the range capability. He also began remodulate the shields to help repel the asteroids and make piloting easier on the flight control staff. "So much damn work" He muttered as crew passed him, looking at him oddly because he was using such a terminal for more complex means.

Raymundo was at his workbench, tinkering with one of his projects. Resting in one of his eyes he was using a digital loupe to see its minute circuitry. In his hand was a small silver sphere, A high altitude barometer probe from the science lab that he swiped. He had in his head the idea of adapting it to serve as a autonomous " Eye in the Sky" for search and rescue, which he would like to see done with it. But knowing it would serve a more tactical purpose he was modifying it to perform rapid sweeps to protect any away teams expose flank.

It was at this time that the terminal at his desk alert him to the incoming message from the chief. Setting his project aside for later he got up and checked his messages. It was a work order for key areas of the ship that needed to be secured in the event of any unwanted party making its way inside. And a patrol routine for the department, securing the ship's vital areas. Ray wondered what had the Chief so on edge. He took a quick look over the Security System subroutines, he saw that indeed the chief was busy.

He stood up and made his way towrd Main Engineering, figuring he start his patrol there and move his way forward.

Lance Krol

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 02:54:45 am »

Kirok looked up from his screen and straightened up reflexively when he heard Krol speaking to him.  "No need to apologize, Lt Commander Krol.  I took no offense" he replied matter-of-factly.   He had taken the time to review the ship roster on his trip to the ship and knew Krol's rank by his markings.  In fact, he would now be able to identify most people by their rank and department, knowledge that he thought important for a crewman in his department to know.

At Krol's second comment, Kirok's right eyebrow rose slightly in Vulcan like fashion.  Jokes were not always lost on him, but this one he did not get.  "My name is Kirok, Sir" he added, giving his preferred name instead of his full name.  Then, trying to anticipate what the man would say next, he said "All systems are at 100%, do you have any specific instructions once we drop out of warp?"
"None you need to worry about, crewman. Better go report in to your department head and he'll fill you in." Conveniently, that crewman had to leave just then, so Krol went back to his chair and awaited the arrival of the ship at their destination.

ThomasRiker

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 06:22:02 pm »

Kirok picked up his PADD.  He would have remembered the brief list of things his superior had mentioned, even a much longer and more detailed list.  But it was obvious that Masters was busy and that his list of duties was on the PADD.  He turned toward engineering when he was dismissed, but stopped when Masters opened the door for questions.   He did have something to discuss with the man.  He turned on his heels and followed Masters as instructed.  "I do have at least one question to start with, Sir" he said as they walked.  He had hoped to have this conversation in the privacy of an office, but that didn't seem to be an option at the moment.  "I assume that you have read over my file and know that I am half Betazoid.  So, I want to be sure that you know that I am a full telepath, capable of both touch and distance telepathy" he explained before his asked his question "What are your and the ships views on the use of telepathy?"

The question brought Masters to a dead stop, causing an ensign to nearly bump into him. He turned to Kirok with a perplexed look on his face. He took a step back and leaned against the wall, placing a foot on it for comfort. "To be honest, I am not entirely sure. I am full Betazoid, but I find myself rarely using my abilities. It has been my experience that many humans value their privacy, and they view their thoughts as the most private. I believe your best bet is to always ask prior to initiating mind melds or telepathic powers of the sort. As far as enemies go, my unofficial opinion is that if it gives you an advantage, use it, officially, I'm sure Starfleet would say not to use it blah blah blah, but, you do what you think is best... disrupter blast or privacy..." He said, his mind now thinking on the subject.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 07:15:41 pm »
The question brought Masters to a dead stop, causing an ensign to nearly bump into him. He turned to Kirok with a perplexed look on his face. He took a step back and leaned against the wall, placing a foot on it for comfort. "To be honest, I am not entirely sure. I am full Betazoid, but I find myself rarely using my abilities. It has been my experience that many humans value their privacy, and they view their thoughts as the most private. I believe your best bet is to always ask prior to initiating mind melds or telepathic powers of the sort. As far as enemies go, my unofficial opinion is that if it gives you an advantage, use it, officially, I'm sure Starfleet would say not to use it blah blah blah, but, you do what you think is best... disrupter blast or privacy..." He said, his mind now thinking on the subject.

Kirok stopped walking as abruptly as Masters did and luckily avoided a collision with the man.   He put his hands behind him, clasped together.  "I see" Kirok replied as a hint of a frown creased his face.  "I now better understand and agree with your opinion" he said in formal tone.  "But regrettably, I must confess that I inadvertently overhead someone's thoughts and have thus violated their privacy.  I will submit to any punishment you deem necessary" Kirok said flatly.

ThomasRiker

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 07:28:09 pm »

Kirok stopped walking as abruptly as Masters did and luckily avoided a collision with the man.   He put his hands behind him, clasped together.  "I see" Kirok replied as a hint of a frown creased his face.  "I now better understand and agree with your opinion" he said in formal tone.  "But regrettably, I must confess that I inadvertently overhead someone's thoughts and have thus violated their privacy.  I will submit to any punishment you deem necessary" Kirok said flatly.

After a moment of thought. "I don't think that a punishment is really warranted, but there are a couple things that I would recommend. Perhaps you should talk to him and tell him what happened. Also, I would suggest you do some meditation." He said, fidgeting a moment with his PADDS.

Offline T'Ra Jones

• Deceased/Retired
  • Honoured Member
  • Airlocking Dylan.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 07:32:51 pm »
Stepping out of the turbolift, T'Ra made her way to the nearest science lab. The doors swished open and she made her way inside to find everyone already busy working on their own little projects. There were two crewman working in one corner and one more in another. T'Ra walked over to the closest available console, which was approximately twelve feet from the door, and got to work. Her fingers flew as she tapped easily away on the console. Entering a command here and there, she was getting things ready for an experiment she wanted to try. After hitting one last key, T'Ra moved away from the console and grabbed the necessary materials.

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 07:45:30 pm »
After a moment of thought. "I don't think that a punishment is really warranted, but there are a couple things that I would recommend. Perhaps you should talk to him and tell him what happened. Also, I would suggest you do some meditation." He said, fidgeting a moment with his PADDS.

Kirok gave his superior an affirmative nod, his hands still hid behind his back.  "Consider it done, Sir" he replied in quick and efficient manner.  He could see that the man was busy, but had one additional question on his mind.   "One last question if I may.  What is the ship's policy regarding pets?  I only ask because I stand to inherit my Grand-Father's cat, Bubba, and need to know if I will need to make other arrangements for him" Kirok said. 

ThomasRiker

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 08:00:49 pm »

Kirok gave his superior an affirmative nod, his hands still hid behind his back.  "Consider it done, Sir" he replied in quick and efficient manner.  He could see that the man was busy, but had one additional question on his mind.   "One last question if I may.  What is the ship's policy regarding pets?  I only ask because I stand to inherit my Grand-Father's cat, Bubba, and need to know if I will need to make other arrangements for him" Kirok said.

Masters nodded, "I don't see that that would be a problem, anything else, let me know later" he said, letting a mental image of roast cat float from his mind. As he turned, he grinned, he was only joking with the newbie, but he didn't tell him that. He just felt it his duty to follow the time honored Starfleet tradition of hazing a newb. "Have a nice day" he said, going to the turbolift and heading for the bridge.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29:50 pm »
Masters nodded, "I don't see that that would be a problem, anything else, let me know later" he said, letting a mental image of roast cat float from his mind. As he turned, he grinned, he was only joking with the newbie, but he didn't tell him that. He just felt it his duty to follow the time honored Starfleet tradition of hazing a newb. "Have a nice day" he said, going to the turbolift and heading for the bridge.

Kirok's left eyebrow arched up as the image popped into his head.  "Thank you, Sir, to you as well" he said as Masters started walking away.  His lips showed a small smile.  "I will be in engineering if you need me, but I'm sure you'll understand if I make my own plans for dinner.  Your tastes in food being what that are" he said, hoping the man would appreciate his attempt at humor.  After a moment, Kirok turned on his heels and headed toward Engineering.   

Lance Krol

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 06:02:06 am »
While all this was going on, Lance was sitting back in his chair and resting. The time between preparing for a journey and arriving was the only rest he got since the captain was always busy fending off the admiralty and their continuous threats of decommissioning and disbanding of the ship and it's crew if the pirate menace wasn't stopped. He had to do all the actual captain stuff. Still, I suppose it'll be easier to deal with once this whole thing is over and we can throw those responsible in jail.

He looked at the distance indicator, which had switched to millions of kilometers and was rapidly counting down. "Mr. Soreka! Where are we pulling out?" he called to the front of the bridge.

ThomasRiker

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 02:05:05 pm »

Kirok's left eyebrow arched up as the image popped into his head.  "Thank you, Sir, to you as well" he said as Masters started walking away.  His lips showed a small smile.  "I will be in engineering if you need me, but I'm sure you'll understand if I make my own plans for dinner.  Your tastes in food being what that are" he said, hoping the man would appreciate his attempt at humor.  After a moment, Kirok turned on his heels and headed toward Engineering.

By the time Kirok made his joke, Masters mind had refocused on his job. He went to the bridge and started looking at the activity on it. =/Masters to Salas\= He called on the comm system =/I want you to coordinate with Soreka on flight control. Find out and balance the amount of power both of us need. I want him to have maximum power for maneuvering, but I want as much power as I can get for weapons. See if lowering the power to more long range speeds, such as the warp drive, will give us a boost. Get the report ready and submit it to me, I'll talk to the Chief Flight Officer about it then. Masters out \= He said walking over to his control board.

He began entering numbers into it. He had worked out the shield harmonics so that he could deflect asteroids easier but he wanted to run a couple tests to make sure they were still in proper order for taking fire. It was easy to simulate a correct algorithm, it was tougher to make it work in reality. "Commander Krol, preliminary measures are in place, I am tweaking and making changes as needed, and I am still running diagnostics to insure everything will work correctly together, but in a crunch I things are in place." He called out to the Commander, oblivious to the apparent tension on the bridge, and not looking up from programing things into the computer.

Lance Krol

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 02:18:10 pm »
He began entering numbers into it. He had worked out the shield harmonics so that he could deflect asteroids easier but he wanted to run a couple tests to make sure they were still in proper order for taking fire. It was easy to simulate a correct algorithm, it was tougher to make it work in reality. "Commander Krol, preliminary measures are in place, I am tweaking and making changes as needed, and I am still running diagnostics to insure everything will work correctly together, but in a crunch I things are in place." He called out to the Commander, oblivious to the apparent tension on the bridge, and not looking up from programing things into the computer.
"Good job, Mr. Masters. Keep going, we'll be there in a few minutes if I'm correct. Mr Soreka, I've asked you once already!" he prompted the flight control officer.

Offline Benjamin Bradley

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2012, 04:03:49 pm »
Connor followed Lance onto the bridge, still seething with rage. He, however, said nothing, wandering over to the main engineering console and logging in. He quickly transferred control to the bridge and sat, awaiting whatever might happen.

Connor nodded. "At ease. How are you?" He asked, eager to get an impression of what his subordinate would be like.

"I'm doing well sir" He replied, taking an less formal stance, though standing there with his arms behind his back. He wanted to get orders and he wanted to get started. This ship was a thing of beauty, and he wanted to get to know her under the hood. "What can I do Sir?" he asked, sounding a bit eager.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles