News:

The Federation Ban on Synthetic Life has been lifted.

Main Menu

Season 1, Mission 09: Flight

Started by Lance Krol, June 05, 2012, 07:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connor Price

Quote from: Lance Krol on June 06, 2012, 05:21:14 PM

Krol smiled pleasantly, replying "Yes, Mr. Price," as he remembered where he was from. "Thank you. Now if I can just have a moment..." leading him out into the bridge corridor, he waited a moment before his expression was replaced by a blank mask. "Mr. Price, I don't know if you've heard but I'm a bit of an unstable man. God knows how I became first officer of a ship, and God knows how I'm in command of that bridge. I know I can deal with engineering, and I know I can deal with it at an award-winning level because I probably designed that warp core you're taking care of right now. All that's beside the point, and it was a long time ago.

"I'm not one for speeches, so I'll get to the point. I'm emotionally invested in this ship. It represents my career here at Starfleet, and my career is the only thing I have any vestige of control over at this point in my life. Ergo, you mess up my old job and you mess directly with me, with all implied consequences of spitting in a superior's eye. Clear?"

Lance avoided letting any tone into his voice, remembering the general mood of informality on the Discovery's engineering deck and remembering that this would probably be seen as a threat, superior officer or not. He hoped he wouldn't be getting into a fistfight with his replacement any time soon. The paperwork involved would reflect even more badly on his mental health than usual, as if that was possible.

Connor narrowed his eyes at Lance, but replied in a cold, emotionless voice, though the steel in his reply was evident. "I resent the implication that I would do anything but that, sir. If you doubt my ability, tell me now, and I can contact every officer who ever taught me and commanded me and give you recommendations." He said, anger barely held in check by the knowledge Lance wasn't completely... there. "Is there anything else?"

Kirok

Quote from: Zuriel Soreka on June 05, 2012, 11:44:14 PM

"Aye sir..." Zuriel said with a nod as he returned to his console, the commander had a plan, and he had yet to lead them astray so he would follow him. "With that last course correction we are still about ten minutes before we drop out of warp sir, and that will put us fifty kilometers away from the location of the Main mining complex if the coordinates form Starfleet command hold true." Zuriel double checked the coarse making sure he didn't have them warping in the path of a giant asteroid, once that was done he began to look busy as his job was done as long as another ion storm didn't spring up, he did notice the new presence in the room, how could he not feel it, he was a betazoid like masters, they lived in their minds, Zuriel kept his quiet as he continued to look busy, he wondered if masters would be so kind once he picked up on the boys telepathy.

When no response came from Lt Commander Krol, Kirok moved over to his duty station.  He logged in and immediately started running diagnostics from his screen.  In truth, he had expected something from Krol, a 'welcome abord' or an 'as you were' as was typical of humans.  But perhaps he had been too formal and should have simply gone to his station after entering the bridge, without any preamble.

As the diagnostics were running, Kirok looked around the bridge, taking it all in.  He had spent many years preparing for this day and it was finally here.  He even allowed himself a moment to experience the satisfaction of accomplishing a goal, straightening up a bit as he did.

Kirok turned his head toward the Flight Control Officer.   He had at least acknowledged Kirok in his thoughts and Kirok wanted to return the courtesy when time permitted.   In fact, Kirok had inadvertently overheard the man's thoughts about Masters replying to him by telepathy and wondered how comfortable the crew was with telepaths.   Every place that he had lived had their own rules about telepathy and he was sure the same would be true here.

Kirok looked back down at his duty station as the diagnostics came to an end.   Everything looked good, with all systems at 100%.  He was prepared to start running scans as soon as they dropped out of warp.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Lance Krol

Quote from: Connor Price on June 06, 2012, 06:01:27 PM

Connor narrowed his eyes at Lance, but replied in a cold, emotionless voice, though the steel in his reply was evident. "I resent the implication that I would do anything but that, sir. If you doubt my ability, tell me now, and I can contact every officer who ever taught me and commanded me and give you recommendations." He said, anger barely held in check by the knowledge Lance wasn't completely... there. "Is there anything else?"

"I understand you're trained to do your job, Mr. Price. I'm trained as well. What I'm asking is that unlike my previous boss you do your job right. As soon as I got here I found out that the engineering department rely completely on anyone who's too competent and abandon innovation in favor of safely leaving the task to whoever will fix it. I don't want you to be the one who fixes everyone's problems or the one who relies on anyone who can because then the ship dies and I come for your career. Carry on." He turned to the door, caught himself, then turned back. "And by the way, working from a console will be fine. Just log in, system controls are all there."

Heading back into the bridge, Lance called "Sorry I wasn't with you, crewman. Just welcoming the new head of engineering." heading over to the security console, he stopped Kirok before he could head into another salute. "So what's your name? I like to know the name of anyone I totally ignore in case I need to make nice later," he joked, grinning at the new recruit. The vulcan ears didn't bode well for the chances of Kirok getting or even noticing the joke, but Lance figured being friendly never hurt anyone. Then he remembered he'd just threatened the head of his old department and flushed slightly with embarrassment at his own hypocrisy.

Raymundo Salas

Raymundo Salas was lounging on his bed waiting before his shift was to start. He closes eyes and took a deep breath, and a rich earthy smell permeated throughout. He was glad he had made friends with one the techs from Engineering. She had taught him how to adjust the environmental controls of his room, and right now it was as though it were a sunny day in the fields of Sherman's Planet.

He'd also taken the time to catch up on his philosophical readings. Something that his recent work schedule had forced him to neglect on. Ray would consider himself more of a, what's the old term? "Weekend Philosopher". He wasn't trained in philosophical thinking, nor constructive argument. But to try to better ones self was really the point the philosophy, Ray felt. Not to make the most technical arguments and laud yourself over someone. So least once a day in the morning he would pick a random text and a random passage and think on it. Today's was, "Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness." ~Zhuangzi.

This was one of Raymundo's a personal favorites to live by, the idea of just simply being. He was most fortunate to the live in times that he did, unlike ancient times like the 19th through 21st century. Life in the federation was not a perfect, but most had overcome the need to feel as though they must make themselves happy. That is not the same thing as being content, he was thinking more along the lines of not needing to be a higher status in then your neighbor, have the most positions among your friends, to have the outward beauty to achieve peace of mind for ones inward beauty. Raymundo learned a long time ago that happiness wasn't how you felt about the world around you, or what the world around you thought felt about you. But was that feeling one gets when there is inner peace.

Rolling out of bed, and straightening himself in the mirror he strode out of his quarter's and down the hall for the security office.

Bio

Michael Ferdinand

Quote from: Tobias Masters on June 06, 2012, 12:49:35 PM

Masters looked at her for a moment, but didn't bite on her near hostile greeting. "I thought it would say good morning to you" He said, he had spent a lot of time in sick bay healing from his wounds, much of that time she was too. They certainly had not made friends, but he had gotten used to being around her. Hi drank some more of his 'coffee' and just sat there for a moment. He knew he was going to have to go do some things shortly to get the ship in order, but for the moment, he was enjoying the comfortable seat.

She continued to stare at the man as she bit into the next of her biscuits. There was something comforting about them that made her much less tense than she had been originally when she first saw him this morning. "Good morning." she replied in a hasty manner before finishing off her last biscuit. That was when a somewhat jumbled thought crossed her mind. "How are you today?" The words came out before Alyssa could bite her tongue. She was not usually known to ask people how they were, only when they were seeking medical attention. Nevertheless, she shrugged off the notion of regret for asking the question, for not saying so would eventually find a way to bite her in the rear end.

Everything must be earned, for if it is given, there are no lessons learned.

Benjamin Bradley

Bradley slowly walked around the ship. He was trying to get to know her. He listened to the sounds she made as he walked, his ears listening to the hum of the engines, getting attuned with how they sound when running at peak proficiency. He wanted to know if something was out of alignment by listening. Every now and then, he would follow a seem or a row of panels, just seeing where they went, delving where ever it took him in the interior of this fine ship. When it came close to his first duty shift to begin, he walked to a computer panel to find the interim Chief of Engineering. He could have used his combadge, but he liked the tactile feel of using the computer terminal. He knew what was behind the terminal, the gel packs that were used for the computers on this ship were amazing. He had always wanted to build his own small scale system, but never could get a gel pack to do it with.

The computer gave the location for the chief to be on the Bridge. Great he thought to himself. How could a Chief of Engineering justify being on the bridge? He hoped this was not a regular thing. Sure the panel on the Bridge can give information, but it takes being in the core of the ship to really know what she was feeling. He took a lift to the Bridge, and it took him a moment to be able to step out of the turbolift. He ran his hand along the wall of the ship, almost able to feel the surge of power running to the room. Before he walked to the engineering console, he put his back to the bulkhead, his head propped back on it, and eyes closed. He just stood there a second listening. Feeling the ever so faint vibration of the ship, then snapped himself out of it and walked up to his new Chief.

"Crewman Bradley reporting in Sir" He said, standing at attention.

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Alyssa Meadows on June 07, 2012, 04:58:25 PM

She continued to stare at the man as she bit into the next of her biscuits. There was something comforting about them that made her much less tense than she had been originally when she first saw him this morning. "Good morning." she replied in a hasty manner before finishing off her last biscuit. That was when a somewhat jumbled thought crossed her mind. "How are you today?" The words came out before Alyssa could bite her tongue. She was not usually known to ask people how they were, only when they were seeking medical attention. Nevertheless, she shrugged off the notion of regret for asking the question, for not saying so would eventually find a way to bite her in the rear end.

"Busy Doctor" he said, glancing at all of his PADDS. He didn't mean it as a short answer at all, it was just the most truthful statement he had to offer. He stood up and started collecting his PADDS. Sighing in near exasperation, "I need to get to the bridge, though I do have something for you" he said looking for a PADD. "I don't presume to tell you in anyway how to run your sickbay, but this details what you might expect. If you have any preparations to make, you might check with the bridge for our arrival time, I don't even know what it is at this point, but I know that your services are most likely going to be needed" he finished. He waited a moment before leaving, wondering if she had any questions before he went to the bridge.

Connor Price

Quote from: Lance Krol on June 07, 2012, 03:07:35 AM

"I understand you're trained to do your job, Mr. Price. I'm trained as well. What I'm asking is that unlike my previous boss you do your job right. As soon as I got here I found out that the engineering department rely completely on anyone who's too competent and abandon innovation in favor of safely leaving the task to whoever will fix it. I don't want you to be the one who fixes everyone's problems or the one who relies on anyone who can because then the ship dies and I come for your career. Carry on." He turned to the door, caught himself, then turned back. "And by the way, working from a console will be fine. Just log in, system controls are all there."

Heading back into the bridge, Lance called "Sorry I wasn't with you, crewman. Just welcoming the new head of engineering." heading over to the security console, he stopped Kirok before he could head into another salute. "So what's your name? I like to know the name of anyone I totally ignore in case I need to make nice later," he joked, grinning at the new recruit. The vulcan ears didn't bode well for the chances of Kirok getting or even noticing the joke, but Lance figured being friendly never hurt anyone. Then he remembered he'd just threatened the head of his old department and flushed slightly with embarrassment at his own hypocrisy.

Connor followed Lance onto the bridge, still seething with rage. He, however, said nothing, wandering over to the main engineering console and logging in. He quickly transferred control to the bridge and sat, awaiting whatever might happen.

Quote from: Benjamin Bradley on June 07, 2012, 06:20:52 PM

The computer gave the location for the chief to be on the Bridge. Great he thought to himself. How could a Chief of Engineering justify being on the bridge? He hoped this was not a regular thing. Sure the panel on the Bridge can give information, but it takes being in the core of the ship to really know what she was feeling. He took a lift to the Bridge, and it took him a moment to be able to step out of the turbolift. He ran his hand along the wall of the ship, almost able to feel the surge of power running to the room. Before he walked to the engineering console, he put his back to the bulkhead, his head propped back on it, and eyes closed. He just stood there a second listening. Feeling the ever so faint vibration of the ship, then snapped himself out of it and walked up to his new Chief.

"Crewman Bradley reporting in Sir" He said, standing at attention.

Connor nodded. "At ease. How are you?" He asked, eager to get an impression of what his subordinate would be like.

Kirok

Quote from: Lance Krol on June 07, 2012, 03:07:35 AM

Kirok looked up from his screen and straightened up reflexively when he heard Krol speaking to him.  "No need to apologize, Lt Commander Krol.  I took no offense" he replied matter-of-factly.   He had taken the time to review the ship roster on his trip to the ship and knew Krol's rank by his markings.  In fact, he would now be able to identify most people by their rank and department, knowledge that he thought important for a crewman in his department to know.

At Krol's second comment, Kirok's right eyebrow rose slightly in Vulcan like fashion.  Jokes were not always lost on him, but this one he did not get.  "My name is Kirok, Sir" he added, giving his preferred name instead of his full name.  Then, trying to anticipate what the man would say next, he said "All systems are at 100%, do you have any specific instructions once we drop out of warp?"

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Tobias Masters on June 07, 2012, 06:37:26 PM

"Busy Doctor" he said, glancing at all of his PADDS. He didn't mean it as a short answer at all, it was just the most truthful statement he had to offer. He stood up and started collecting his PADDS. Sighing in near exasperation, "I need to get to the bridge, though I do have something for you" he said looking for a PADD. "I don't presume to tell you in anyway how to run your sickbay, but this details what you might expect. If you have any preparations to make, you might check with the bridge for our arrival time, I don't even know what it is at this point, but I know that your services are most likely going to be needed" he finished. He waited a moment before leaving, wondering if she had any questions before he went to the bridge.

While he was giving her time to think, he tapped his combadge =/Masters to Kirok, report to the officer's mess.\= He had a ton of work, and the crewman could follow him around while he gave the man his briefing.

Michael Ferdinand

Quote from: Tobias Masters on June 07, 2012, 06:37:26 PM

Alyssa's eyes examined the man more closely. He was being truthful, something that she could not confirm was a natural trait. "I will do my best." Alyssa said. Unfortunately, whenever she did say this, a mass number of casualties flooded sickbay. The phrase was like a curse for her, and now it was too late for her to take it back.

Everything must be earned, for if it is given, there are no lessons learned.

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Alyssa Meadows on June 07, 2012, 08:25:49 PM

Alyssa's eyes examined the man more closely. He was being truthful, something that she could not confirm was a natural trait. "I will do my best." Alyssa said. Unfortunately, whenever she did say this, a mass number of casualties flooded sickbay. The phrase was like a curse for her, and now it was too late for her to take it back.

Masters nodded at her, halfway mumbling for her to have a good day, he was swamped and didn't have a lot of time for pleasantries, and the two of them weren't on the best of terms, though they weren't screaming at each other, so that was at least a good thing. He started heading for the turbolift that Kirok would be coming from. He needed to get rolling on things. As he walked down, he would see a crewman that he had orders for and hand out what he had. He might have been drinking some, but he was still proficient with what he was doing. He stopped at a computer terminal on the way and with a command override and unlocking the security functions. He began punching in orders for the security crew. He was still somewhat short handed, only half of the crew he had assigned on the prison colony had returned. He gave them patrols on the decks, and he set up controls for security force fields. He wasn't in the mood for mistakes, so he made them able to be activated by anyone with appropriate rank or position, but require his authorization to deactivate.

He began routing the weapon systems, getting them prepared for close combat. It wasn't hard, and while they were already versatile, he was able to increase the punch they carried by reducing the range capability. He also began remodulate the shields to help repel the asteroids and make piloting easier on the flight control staff. "So much damn work" He muttered as crew passed him, looking at him oddly because he was using such a terminal for more complex means.

Kirok

Quote from: Tobias Masters on June 07, 2012, 08:45:53 PM

Masters nodded at her, halfway mumbling for her to have a good day, he was swamped and didn't have a lot of time for pleasantries, and the two of them weren't on the best of terms, though they weren't screaming at each other, so that was at least a good thing. He started heading for the turbolift that Kirok would be coming from. He needed to get rolling on things. As he walked down, he would see a crewman that he had orders for and hand out what he had. He might have been drinking some, but he was still proficient with what he was doing. He stopped at a computer terminal on the way and with a command override and unlocking the security functions. He began punching in orders for the security crew. He was still somewhat short handed, only half of the crew he had assigned on the prison colony had returned. He gave them patrols on the decks, and he set up controls for security force fields. He wasn't in the mood for mistakes, so he made them able to be activated by anyone with appropriate rank or position, but require his authorization to deactivate.

He began routing the weapon systems, getting them prepared for close combat. It wasn't hard, and while they were already versatile, he was able to increase the punch they carried by reducing the range capability. He also began remodulate the shields to help repel the asteroids and make piloting easier on the flight control staff. "So much damn work" He muttered as crew passed him, looking at him oddly because he was using such a terminal for more complex means.

=/As you wish, Sir\= replied Kirok to Masters after tapping his com badge.  He turned his duty station over to another crewman, then headed for the turbo lift and took it to Deck 2.  He moved at a brisk and purposeful pace through the corridor, stopping when he saw a man matching Masters' rank and department working on a terminal.  "Lt Masters, I presume?" Kirok asked, saluting as he did.

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Kirok on June 07, 2012, 09:55:40 PM

=/As you wish, Sir\= replied Kirok to Masters after tapping his com badge.  He turned his duty station over to another crewman, then headed for the turbo lift and took it to Deck 2.  He moved at a brisk and purposeful pace through the corridor, stopping when he saw a man matching Masters' rank and department working on a terminal.  "Lt Masters, I presume?" Kirok asked, saluting as he did.

Masters nodded briefly, his hands continuing to fly over the panel. By his foot were a stack of PADDS, one of them was probably for this young lad. Masters offered a greeting with a simple "Name"

Kirok

Quote from: Tobias Masters on June 07, 2012, 09:58:09 PM

Masters nodded briefly, his hands continuing to fly over the panel. By his foot were a stack of PADDS, one of them was probably for this young lad. Masters offered a greeting with a simple "Name"

Kirok lowed his hand and moved into an at ease position.  "Kirok, Sir" he said in a formal tone.  "How can I be of service?" he asked, looking over the man's shoulder to see what he was doing.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.