Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 05: Awakening  (Read 30927 times)

ThomasRiker

Re: Season 1, Mission 05: Awakening
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 05:29:05 pm »
Reece stood up from the XO's chair.

"Come along kids. Time for a briefing." He joked.

He entered the briefing room and took his seat beside Cortez.

"Mr. Mirwald, I'll be in the briefing, I'll help finish the diagnostic when it is done." Masters said, grabbing a PADD to take to the meeting with him and heading for the conference room. This was his first meeting as a ship officer, so he hoped that he wouldn't blunder.

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 06:13:17 pm »
Reece stood up from the XO's chair.

"Come along kids. Time for a briefing." He joked.

He entered the briefing room and took his seat beside Cortez.

"Ahh... meeting time already. Fun times." muttered Cadenza, under his breath. He was quietly excited, but ever-so-slightly nervous, with just a hint of slight anxiety.

This mission, as with many, could easily end up in all of their deaths. 

The thought kept repeating through his mind so he could focus on the task at hand, and perhaps make a suggestion or two.

He stood up from his console at the same time Crewman Allan Marcin staggered onto the bridge. He wasn't reknowned for his promptness. The fact that he had bothered to turn up at all was an achievement. Taras gave a small sigh at having to relinquish his console to that particular crewman, and wondered what Grokan Dar was doing with himself these days.

Despite all of that, he walked past Allan, giving him a wink and a quick pat on the shoulder, much to the crewman's bewilderment, as he made his way to the briefing room.

He followed Tobias in, and took the seat at the opposite end to Cortez.

And so it begins... *shudder*

Lance Krol

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 03:11:06 am »
"Ahh... meeting time already. Fun times." muttered Cadenza, under his breath. He was quietly excited, but ever-so-slightly nervous, with just a hint of slight anxiety.

The thought kept repeating through his mind so he could focus on the task at hand, and perhaps make a suggestion or two.

He stood up from his console at the same time Crewman Allan Marcin staggered onto the bridge. He wasn't reknowned for his promptness. The fact that he had bothered to turn up at all was an achievement. Taras gave a small sigh at having to relinquish his console to that particular crewman, and wondered what Grokan Dar was doing with himself these days.

Despite all of that, he walked past Allan, giving him a wink and a quick pat on the shoulder, much to the crewman's bewilderment, as he made his way to the briefing room.

Krol was waiting for his cover to appear, which of course it did. A small girl who was still almost as old as him called Crewwoman Graces. She had an air of grim determination to get on with things, which was somewhat disconcerting because she carried that air into christmas parties. Giving her her standard briefing - they both knew what to do, so he mumbled and she didn't listen - he jogged into a turbolift and sixty seconds later he was on the floor with the briefing room.

Inside were all the people capable of getting him fired on this ship.

He sighed and palmed the door open - rooms where sensitive data was passed around didn't open when motion was detected. He took his place between Taras and Masters and stared expectantly at nothing in particular.

ThomasRiker

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:52 am »

Masters nodded at Cadenza as the two of them walked into the briefing room. He looked at the large conference table. Senior Staff When he was in his former post he had to sit through some of these, but then it was primarily just to be told what to do. Now he was going in representing Security, and would be expected to report on the department. He had several diagnostic results stored on his PADD, along with several different bits of data that he thought may be useful for the meeting.

Masters took a seat towards the end of the table, he wanted to give the other officers the chance to talk some before he would be tossed into it. He wanted a feel for how the acting Commander would manage the meetings. He didn't however allow his nervousness to show. Sensing the man's unease, he turned to the latest to enter the meeting, the engineer he believed. "Relax sir, we will all do fine".

cortez

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 10:41:21 am »
Masters nodded at Cadenza as the two of them walked into the briefing room. He looked at the large conference table. Senior Staff When he was in his former post he had to sit through some of these, but then it was primarily just to be told what to do. Now he was going in representing Security, and would be expected to report on the department. He had several diagnostic results stored on his PADD, along with several different bits of data that he thought may be useful for the meeting.

Masters took a seat towards the end of the table, he wanted to give the other officers the chance to talk some before he would be tossed into it. He wanted a feel for how the acting Commander would manage the meetings. He didn't however allow his nervousness to show. Sensing the man's unease, he turned to the latest to enter the meeting, the engineer he believed. "Relax sir, we will all do fine".

Now that everyone had arrived and was comfortably seated, Cortez decided to make a start.

"Alright, everyone"  he began  "As you're already aware, we are currently heading to the Cho'chek system, where Starfleet believes the pirates that are holding Commander Clarke are operating a base. It is up to us, with help from the T'Kumbra, to locate that base and put it out of business"

He picked up a PADD, and took a brief glance over the notes, before placing it back down on the table.

"We know very little about the base itself, but I have been assured by Starfleet Intelligence that the pirates have few ships protecting it. It should make for an easy target. And we might find some information on the Captain's whereabouts, while we're there."

Lance Krol

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 03:45:49 pm »
Now that everyone had arrived and was comfortably seated, Cortez decided to make a start.

"Alright, everyone"  he began  "As you're already aware, we are currently heading to the Cho'chek system, where Starfleet believes the pirates that are holding Commander Clarke are operating a base. It is up to us, with help from the T'Kumbra, to locate that base and put it out of business"

He picked up a PADD, and took a brief glance over the notes, before placing it back down on the table.

"We know very little about the base itself, but I have been assured by Starfleet Intelligence that the pirates have few ships protecting it. It should make for an easy target. And we might find some information on the Captain's whereabouts, while we're there."

The Vulcans. Finally, someone Lance could relate to. He waited for someone with more tactical know-how to concoct a plan that he could poke holes in with the technical flaws of their own ship and the T'kumbra. Nobody came forward. Slowly, the awkwardness grew crushingly oppressive, until Lance's boiling mind had to vent its ideas into something. The room and the people it contained were the closest 'something'.

"I realize our immediate concern right now is the base, but isn't it a bit odd that these are pirates that have the resources and influence to get bases plural set up in inhospitable areas, or even in space? Last time I checked there was no civilian-sector technology that could do that," he noted. "And I think this could be bigger than a base. The last one we were at was more than a disposable hidey-hole. It was well defended, and inside was a treasure trove of technology so big that we may well have made history by downloading the three per cent of the database that we did. I mean, they had schematics for a Borg Sphere. A Sphere," he almost exclaimed.

"And now we get an admiral, someone who's job it is to know where he's sending his men and the risks they will face, and he's sending us against pirates who are rich enough and organized enough to construct two or more military-grade bases in deep space as well as having the technology and manpower to reach those bases easily and defend them. Plus the whole database thing. If you ask me, this requires more thought than 'an Admiral told us to do it, so we must do it'. I realize we're going to face repercussions, but we may have to consider refusing this mission pending further intelligence. For all we know, they have a Klingon craft complete with cloaking device set up and waiting to go. And last time I checked the Klingons' ships were made for war. We are effectively fighting a completely unknown foe."

Krol sat back in his chair and only then realized how many conclusions he had jumped to. Almost visibly shrinking into his seat, he hoped to high heaven that nobody would think any worse of him. Although maybe appearing human might improve his social standing.

cortez

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 03:56:58 pm »
The Vulcans. Finally, someone Lance could relate to. He waited for someone with more tactical know-how to concoct a plan that he could poke holes in with the technical flaws of their own ship and the T'kumbra. Nobody came forward. Slowly, the awkwardness grew crushingly oppressive, until Lance's boiling mind had to vent its ideas into something. The room and the people it contained were the closest 'something'.

"I realize our immediate concern right now is the base, but isn't it a bit odd that these are pirates that have the resources and influence to get bases plural set up in inhospitable areas, or even in space? Last time I checked there was no civilian-sector technology that could do that," he noted. "And I think this could be bigger than a base. The last one we were at was more than a disposable hidey-hole. It was well defended, and inside was a treasure trove of technology so big that we may well have made history by downloading the three per cent of the database that we did. I mean, they had schematics for a Borg Sphere. A Sphere," he almost exclaimed.

"And now we get an admiral, someone who's job it is to know where he's sending his men and the risks they will face, and he's sending us against pirates who are rich enough and organized enough to construct two or more military-grade bases in deep space as well as having the technology and manpower to reach those bases easily and defend them. Plus the whole database thing. If you ask me, this requires more thought than 'an Admiral told us to do it, so we must do it'. I realize we're going to face repercussions, but we may have to consider refusing this mission pending further intelligence. For all we know, they have a Klingon craft complete with cloaking device set up and waiting to go. And last time I checked the Klingons' ships were made for war. We are effectively fighting a completely unknown foe."

Krol sat back in his chair and only then realized how many conclusions he had jumped to. Almost visibly shrinking into his seat, he hoped to high heaven that nobody would think any worse of him. Although maybe appearing human might improve his social standing.

Cortez was slightly taken aback by Krol's mini-speech. It took him a short while to work out a response.

"Thank you for your input, Lieutenant. But I'm afraid orders are orders."

Standing, Cortez headed over to the wall mounted display and with the flick of a button, a diagram of the Cho'Chek System was displayed.

"We believe the base to be located in this grid"  Cortez continued, pointing at the display, before looking at Cadenza   "Lieutenant, there's a few navigational hazards in the area so I'll need you on top form if we're to get there in one piece."

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »
Cortez was slightly taken aback by Krol's mini-speech. It took him a short while to work out a response.

"Thank you for your input, Lieutenant. But I'm afraid orders are orders."

Standing, Cortez headed over to the wall mounted display and with the flick of a button, a diagram of the Cho'Chek System was displayed.

"We believe the base to be located in this grid"  Cortez continued, pointing at the display, before looking at Cadenza   "Lieutenant, there's a few navigational hazards in the area so I'll need you on top form if we're to get there in one piece."

And he makes an entrance into the discussion with rather good logic, quite frankly. thought the Flight Chief, raising an eyebrow at Krol's mini-speech.

Taras looked up at the display of the system. It seemed familiar somehow, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He hastily dismissed the thought as he felt the intense eyes of Cortez burning into his skull.

"Of course. Aren't I always? Naturally, the hazards are... easily avoidable. But at the same time we don't want to waste any unnecessary time. I'll plot something out." stated Taras with a nod. He was usually used to improvising his flight patterns, rather than pre-meditating them. 

Perhaps it's time to try something new.

cortez

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 06:11:40 am »
And he makes an entrance into the discussion with rather good logic, quite frankly. thought the Flight Chief, raising an eyebrow at Krol's mini-speech.

Taras looked up at the display of the system. It seemed familiar somehow, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He hastily dismissed the thought as he felt the intense eyes of Cortez burning into his skull.

"Of course. Aren't I always? Naturally, the hazards are... easily avoidable. But at the same time we don't want to waste any unnecessary time. I'll plot something out." stated Taras with a nod. He was usually used to improvising his flight patterns, rather than pre-meditating them.

Perhaps it's time to try something new.

"Good"  Cortez nodded, turning his attention back to the rest of the room

"Any question?"

ThomasRiker

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 11:35:29 am »
"Good"  Cortez nodded, turning his attention back to the rest of the room

"Any question?"

"Obviously you are correct that our order are orders, Sir" Masters chimed in, "but Krol brings up some good points. Perhaps we should form an action plan that not only gets us navigated safely through the system, but also making sure everything is ready on the ship, to include possibly even distorting some of our ship outputs... If we managed this, perhaps we could buy our selfs some precious time and get closer or in a more favorable position than we might otherwise do showing up in our nice shiny Federation ship. That brings up a possible, though less favorable idea... If we were to make some battle damage appear on the ship, a few non functioning areas, some explosion marks on the hull, put some systems out of alignment, etc, perhaps we might  be able to convince them our ship was over run, and that "Pirates" are in control, and either need repairs, or are looking to sell Federation technology" He said, realizing that most would write the plan off as having no merit, but it was one that could, if  it worked, get them both close, and in the base to have a look around.

"I am able to report that our tactical systems are running at full efficiency." Masters added after he thought for a moment, knowing that this was an important piece of information.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:39:47 am by Tobias Masters »

cortez

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:29 am »
"Obviously you are correct that our order are orders, Sir" Masters chimed in, "but Krol brings up some good points. Perhaps we should form an action plan that not only gets us navigated safely through the system, but also making sure everything is ready on the ship, to include possibly even distorting some of our ship outputs... If we managed this, perhaps we could buy our selfs some precious time and get closer or in a more favorable position than we might otherwise do showing up in our nice shiny Federation ship. That brings up a possible, though less favorable idea... If we were to make some battle damage appear on the ship, a few non functioning areas, some explosion marks on the hull, put some systems out of alignment, etc, perhaps we might  be able to convince them our ship was over run, and that "Pirates" are in control, and either need repairs, or are looking to sell Federation technology" He said, realizing that most would write the plan off as having no merit, but it was one that could, if  it worked, get them both close, and in the base to have a look around

"A nice idea, Ensign"  Cortez replied  "But as soon as the pirates scan the vessel, the plan would be exposed. And any attempt to hide our lifesigns would be met with suspicion."

Cortez pressed a button on the display, causing it to return to its blackened state.

"No. Starfleet has classified this as a direct strike. And a direct strike it what we'll give those pirates. Unless there's nothing else, get your departments ready for battle. Dismissed"

ThomasRiker

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »
"A nice idea, Ensign"  Cortez replied  "But as soon as the pirates scan the vessel, the plan would be exposed. And any attempt to hide our lifesigns would be met with suspicion."

Cortez pressed a button on the display, causing it to return to its blackened state.

"No. Starfleet has classified this as a direct strike. And a direct strike it what we'll give those pirates. Unless there's nothing else, get your departments ready for battle. Dismissed"

Masters' knew it wasn't going to truly be considered, thinking outside of the box seems to be a lost art on ship crew... when he was part of the Special Operations, they would use every trick in the book. He had to concede now though that he wasn't part of that any more, he was now part of a ship, he would have to play the role. "Aye Sir" he said heading for the bridge. He and Octavious may not get along well, but he had a pretty good idea that Octavious would welcome getting everything ready for battle.

cortez

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 12:41:55 pm »
Masters' knew it wasn't going to truly be considered, thinking outside of the box seems to be a lost art on ship crew... when he was part of the Special Operations, they would use every trick in the book. He had to concede now though that he wasn't part of that any more, he was now part of a ship, he would have to play the role. "Aye Sir" he said heading for the bridge. He and Octavious may not get along well, but he had a pretty good idea that Octavious would welcome getting everything ready for battle.

"Acting Captain's log, stardate 65955.5. After rendezvousing with the T'Kumbra, we're now entering the Cho'chek System."

Cortez was sat firmly in his chair, keeping one eye firmly locked on the viewscreen.

"Nice and easy, Lieutenant"  he instructed Cadenza, before turning to Masters   "Ensign, co-ordinate with the T'Kumbra's science officer. I don't want any mistakes"

ThomasRiker

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »
"Acting Captain's log, stardate 65955.5. After rendezvousing with the T'Kumbra, we're now entering the Cho'chek System."

Cortez was sat firmly in his chair, keeping one eye firmly locked on the viewscreen.

"Nice and easy, Lieutenant"  he instructed Cadenza, before turning to Masters   "Ensign, co-ordinate with the T'Kumbra's science officer. I don't want any mistakes"

"Aye Sir" Masters called out. He pushed a few buttons and the chimes of a communication going through sounded. He put in the request to the ship communications officer to get the Science Officer on the com.

Offline Inzjana

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Embrace Eternity
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2011, 04:56:22 am »
"Aye Sir" Masters called out. He pushed a few buttons and the chimes of a communication going through sounded. He put in the request to the ship communications officer to get the Science Officer on the com.

Aboard the T'Kumbra, science officer Inzjana stood at the science station going over the data coming in from a passive sensor sweep of the Cho'chek star system.

The T'Kumbra was assigned to investigate the Sigma 7 star system, uncharted by any of the major federations and empires of the greater galactic community, it was a veritable cornucopia of mystery and therefore it didn't take much convincing for Starfleet nor Vulcan High Command to sanction such a venture, even if it was mostly at the behest of Inzjana's mother; consul T'Vaal.

Inzjana had lost a best friend in that system, a renowned xeno-archaeologist Dr Andre Offenbach some fifteen years hence, so when asked to join the mission, she gratefully agreed - well as grateful as a Vulcan can be anyway.

On Sigma 7 they met an odd man who called himself Theta Sigma, who had been living amongst the ancient ruins, seemingly by his lonesome and after several hours of communication and after supposed fits of long and short term memory loss at various intervals, eventually told them of the pirate in the Cho'chek system.

After receiving a message from High Command to go to the Cho'chek system where they were going anyway to help support a Starfleet vessel designated the USS Churchill, the T'Kumbra set course best speed for their rendezvous. So here they are!

After the communications officer had accepted and routed the comlink from the Churchill's tactical officer, Inzjana opened the channel, "This is Inzjana, how may I be of assistance?" She asked.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:48:34 pm by Inzjana »

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
DIF-TOR HEH SMUSMA

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles