Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 05: Awakening  (Read 31047 times)

cortez

Re: Season 1, Mission 05: Awakening
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 11:57:34 am »
Taras noted the briskness of his equally ranked comrade from another department. He considered telling Krol to lighten up, but decided against it, to point of which he almost slapped himself in the face for even thinking it.

He put his hands behind his back, trying to think of something useful to say in this situation.

"Not too bad. I suppose. Considering the current situation. What with Cortez having his butt handed to him by the Admiral, and the Captain still lost in the hands of the pirates." he stated, his face betraying his concern. "My, my... it is certainly an interesting situation... wouldn't you agree?"

After the grilling from Admiral Preston about his recent performance, Cortez was eager to get as far away from the starbase as possible. Fortunately, their next mission provided them with the perfect opportunity.

Arriving on the bridge, he immediately noticed Lieutenant Cadenza talking with newly promoted Lieutenant Krol, which suddenly reminded him of an important notification.

"Lieutenants"  he greeted,  "Mr Krol, would you excuse me while I have a chat with Mr. Cadenza here?"

Taking Cadenza to one side, Cortez continued.

"Lieutenant Christopher has transferred to the USS Discovery. As a result we no longer have a Chief Flight Control Officer. Therefore, I'm promoting you to the position, if you'll take it?"

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 04:27:44 pm »
After the grilling from Admiral Preston about his recent performance, Cortez was eager to get as far away from the starbase as possible. Fortunately, their next mission provided them with the perfect opportunity.

Arriving on the bridge, he immediately noticed Lieutenant Cadenza talking with newly promoted Lieutenant Krol, which suddenly reminded him of an important notification.

"Lieutenants"  he greeted,  "Mr Krol, would you excuse me while I have a chat with Mr. Cadenza here?"

Taking Cadenza to one side, Cortez continued.

"Lieutenant Christopher has transferred to the USS Discovery. As a result we no longer have a Chief Flight Control Officer. Therefore, I'm promoting you to the position, if you'll take it?"

Taras found himself being pulled away from the gold-shirted Scotsman before either of them could add to the conversation. Of course, the puller just happened to be Cortez.

Speak of the commander, and he shall appear, it seems... Taras thought to himself, an internal eyebrow raised by the situation.

"Lieutenant Christopher has transferred to the USS Discovery. As a result we no longer have a Chief Flight Control Officer. Therefore, I'm promoting you to the position, if you'll take it?" stated the commander to Cadenza.

For the brief few seconds after that, Taras, for once in his life, was speechless. He just stared blankly into space for the extremely short, yet seemingly indefinate amount of time. He couldn't pull together any words.

He would, for the first time, be the head of his own department. Chief Flight Control Officer. Quickly, Taras' face contorted into a grin.

"Sir... I'd be delighted to accept this position. Thank you." he told the commander, with a larger grin.

Now... this really is an interesting arrangement... he thought to himself, gleefully. Father would be proud... for sure.

ThomasRiker

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »
"Enough!" Reece stopped them before they started.

"Mr Mirwald, I understand your experience on this ship and especially in this task force is invaluable. I have served with you for a lot of it and I do place a lot of respect on your suggestions. However, Mr Masters is right. Not only is he a superior, but he's new to this task force and this ship.
Mr Masters however though, I get the feeling that you yourself haven't done a great deal to ease the situation. The conduct between the two of you on the pirate planet and when we returned was not what I have come to expect from two valued officers of the fleet. Your petty squabbling is tiresome at best and you constantly try to one up each other. If I see any more of it on duty, I'll put reprimands in both of your files. Save the competition for your off-time."

Reece stopped the recording of the PADD and took another sip of his whiskey. "Now, as long as this stops here, I'll think nothing more of it, but if you two can't be trusted to work effectively, I'll be forced to finish this report, and file it."
With that, Reece opened his desk and threw the PADD in.

"Off the record of course," Reece started once more, "Why do you feel you were handed a rival, Mirwald?" I'll admit, I wasn't here when he first came aboard because I was with the convoy, but what did Mr Masters do to offend you so quickly?
You don't have to answer, I am simply curious." Reece asked taking the final sip and draining the glass.

Masters was curious himself. He wanted to know what he had done to piss this man off so badly. He looked at the Chief, knowing that he wouldn't fail to answer the question. He didn't say anything, he just waited for an answer. Masters was usually someone that got along with people, so he was eager to find out the answer.

Lance Krol

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 07:05:30 am »
Taras found himself being pulled away from the gold-shirted Scotsman before either of them could add to the conversation. Of course, the puller just happened to be Cortez.

Speak of the commander, and he shall appear, it seems... Taras thought to himself, an internal eyebrow raised by the situation.

"Lieutenant Christopher has transferred to the USS Discovery. As a result we no longer have a Chief Flight Control Officer. Therefore, I'm promoting you to the position, if you'll take it?" stated the commander to Cadenza.

For the brief few seconds after that, Taras, for once in his life, was speechless. He just stared blankly into space for the extremely short, yet seemingly indefinate amount of time. He couldn't pull together any words.

He would, for the first time, be the head of his own department. Chief Flight Control Officer. Quickly, Taras' face contorted into a grin.

"Sir... I'd be delighted to accept this position. Thank you." he told the commander, with a larger grin.

Now... this really is an interesting arrangement... he thought to himself, gleefully. Father would be proud... for sure.

Lance listened to their conversation, his attention still apparently focused on his own screen. So, it looked like Taras was in for the same ride Krol was taking. Unless he was grossly underqualified for the job, which was doubtful. He steeled himself for the sunny disposition of the returning chief, and tried to look as busy as possible. When Taras returned, it was with an enormous grin on his face.

"So what was that about?" Krol asked innocently. He supposed he had to make some form of conversation for as long as he was here.

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 05:30:30 pm »
Lance listened to their conversation, his attention still apparently focused on his own screen. So, it looked like Taras was in for the same ride Krol was taking. Unless he was grossly underqualified for the job, which was doubtful. He steeled himself for the sunny disposition of the returning chief, and tried to look as busy as possible. When Taras returned, it was with an enormous grin on his face.

"So what was that about?" Krol asked innocently. He supposed he had to make some form of conversation for as long as he was here.

Taras felt genuinely happy for the first time in a while. Sure, he had been mock-happy, joke-happy and moderately-pleased-to-see-you-happy, but this was one of those times in which he just felt... happy.

"Well, Commander Cortez just gave me the position of Chief Flight Control Officer of the ship, now that Mr. Christopher has been transferred. I haven't reaaaaally been here thaaaaaaat long, so I consider it quite a compliment, aha..." he grinned, holding his hands behind his back. "Still, there will be the added pressure and all of being one of the department heads to contend with... but I'm not going to think about that now. No. Still. It's an honour."

cortez

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 05:51:02 pm »
Taras felt genuinely happy for the first time in a while. Sure, he had been mock-happy, joke-happy and moderately-pleased-to-see-you-happy, but this was one of those times in which he just felt... happy.

"Well, Commander Cortez just gave me the position of Chief Flight Control Officer of the ship, now that Mr. Christopher has been transferred. I haven't reaaaaally been here thaaaaaaat long, so I consider it quite a compliment, aha..." he grinned, holding his hands behind his back. "Still, there will be the added pressure and all of being one of the department heads to contend with... but I'm not going to think about that now. No. Still. It's an honour."

Now that everything was in order, Cortez was eager to get on with their mission. Sitting back in his command chair, he issued his orders.

"Alright, prepare to depart"  he began    "Mr. Cadenza, take us out, one-quarter impulse power. Then set a course for the mission co-ordinates. Lieutenant Thompson, report to the bridge."

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 03:01:22 am »
Now that everything was in order, Cortez was eager to get on with their mission. Sitting back in his command chair, he issued his orders.

"Alright, prepare to depart"  he began    "Mr. Cadenza, take us out, one-quarter impulse power. Then set a course for the mission co-ordinates. Lieutenant Thompson, report to the bridge."

Reece watched Octavius carefully. He was obviously uncomfortable about answering.

"Fair enough." Reece said, breaking the silence. "Like I said, it was off the record. Just, put a stop to the bickering, especially when on duty."

Reece heard the call to get to the bridge. He stood up and put the whiskey glass back in the cabinet.

=/\= On my way sir. =/\=

Reece finally looked at the two crewmen sat before him. "Thank you. Now report to your posts. We'll be departing shortly now that the Commander is back."
He walked out and headed to the bridge. Minutes later, he entered the bridge and stood behind the railing that supported the two command chairs.

"Captain."

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Lance Krol

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »

Krol almost sighed. People were always happy with additional power - was there ever enough power for a human being? Sooner or later, Taras would screw up and despite his duties being the same, he would be punished more severely for it. Nobody ever saw what a curse power was.

"Really? That's great!" he managed. "Any big plans for your new position?"

OctalLord

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »
Reece watched Octavius carefully. He was obviously uncomfortable about answering.

"Fair enough." Reece said, breaking the silence. "Like I said, it was off the record. Just, put a stop to the bickering, especially when on duty."

Reece heard the call to get to the bridge. He stood up and put the whiskey glass back in the cabinet.

=/\= On my way sir. =/\=

Reece finally looked at the two crewmen sat before him. "Thank you. Now report to your posts. We'll be departing shortly now that the Commander is back."

"Aye sir, of course." Octavius nodded. More from trained reflex than anything. When he finally sat down and thought about it, he realised that he had made an enemy out of Masters more than masters doing so for him. When Octavius first confronted him it was more out of unexpressed frustration on a different subject than an outright agression from Masters.

As Reece left Ocatvius stayed behind, for just a moment. "Mr. Masters I believe I've made an enemy out of you." He said voicing his own thoughts, without exactly considering what it would infer. "I wish to apologize for this and he's right. I really should back off from pressuring you for awhile. Considering that our higher ups noticed."

He stood up from his chair. "Come on, we've got stations to fill." He said waiting for Masters to stand and lead the way.

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 03:10:05 pm »
Krol almost sighed. People were always happy with additional power - was there ever enough power for a human being? Sooner or later, Taras would screw up and despite his duties being the same, he would be punished more severely for it. Nobody ever saw what a curse power was.

"Really? That's great!" he managed. "Any big plans for your new position?"

"Well..." 

Taras thought for a moment. What else would actually happen now that he was a chief? Things wouldn't exactly change. Not immediately, anyway. He simply replied, with a narrower smile, "...Not really... I'll probably just treat this as my usual position. Unless the occasion calls for it."

With a wink, he left his fellow lieutenant's side to reach his console, on which he input the ordered commands. A brief moment later, as the ship reached open space, Taras turned to the commander.

"Ready to engage, sir." 

cortez

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 03:31:24 pm »
"Well..."

Taras thought for a moment. What else would actually happen now that he was a chief? Things wouldn't exactly change. Not immediately, anyway. He simply replied, with a narrower smile, "...Not really... I'll probably just treat this as my usual position. Unless the occasion calls for it."

With a wink, he left his fellow lieutenant's side to reach his console, on which he input the ordered commands. A brief moment later, as the ship reached open space, Taras turned to the commander.

"Ready to engage, sir."

"Acting Captain's log, stardate 65923.0. After leaving Starbase, we're now on a direct course to our next assignment, a rendezvous with the USS Normandy to pick up some transferees. It's boring, but I'll take anything that gets me back out into space."

It was quiet on the bridge, as the Churchill cruised along at warp five. Cortez had decided to take first watch and was passing the time with a copy of "A Tale of Two Cities", something his old Captain had started to read but due to one reason or another, had never finished. He hoped he wouldn't be so unfortunate.

As he read the fifty-sixth page from his PADD, a small humm momemtarily caught his ear. Listening intently, it came again...and again. Cortez smiled, for another thing he had picked up from his former Captain was the ability to detect the most minor fluctuations in the ship's systems wth just his natural senses.

He also had some of his operations experience to thank, of course.

"Mr. Krol"  he spoke up,  "Check the torque sensors for me. They sound as if they are out of alignment"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:15:42 pm by Mike Cortez »

Lance Krol

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 05:24:41 pm »
"Acting Captain's log, stardate 65923.0. After leaving Starbase, we're now on a direct course to our next assignment, a rendezvous with the USS Normandy to pick up some transferees. It's boring, but I'll take anything that gets me back out into space."

It was quiet on the bridge, as the Churchill cruised along at warp five. Cortez had decided to take first watch and was passing the time with a copy of "A Tale of Two Cities", something his old Captain had started to read but due to one reason or another, had never finished. He hoped he wouldn't be so unfortunate.

As he read the fifty-sixth page from his PADD, a small humm momemtarily caught his ear. Listening intently, it came again...and again. Cortez smiled, for another thing he had picked up from his former Captain was the ability to detect the most minor fluctuations in the ship's systems wth just his natural senses.

He also had some of his operations experience to thank, of course.

"Mr. Krol"  he spoke up,  "Check the torque sensors for me. They sound as if they are out of alignment"
Krol started and checked the sensors. A cursory check revealed a twelve micron misalignment. Krol was ashamed - as a cadet, not so long ago, he regularly spotted misalignments of three microns.

"As you say, sir. Re-calibrating," he reported as the sensors straightened themselves out. The job could be done remotely, but like most remote jobs in human vessels it was like performing surgery with a sledgehammer. He cursed as he struggled to correct the sensors, fiddly things that they were. Finally, one clicked into place; satisfied, he locked the other into the same alignment and sat back for a moment.

cortez

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 05:40:38 pm »
Krol started and checked the sensors. A cursory check revealed a twelve micron misalignment. Krol was ashamed - as a cadet, not so long ago, he regularly spotted misalignments of three microns.

"As you say, sir. Re-calibrating," he reported as the sensors straightened themselves out. The job could be done remotely, but like most remote jobs in human vessels it was like performing surgery with a sledgehammer. He cursed as he struggled to correct the sensors, fiddly things that they were. Finally, one clicked into place; satisfied, he locked the other into the same alignment and sat back for a moment.

Cortez sat back with a smile on his face.

"Good job, Mr. Krol"

Pressing onto the next page, he continued with his book.

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »
Cortez sat back with a smile on his face.

"Good job, Mr. Krol"

Pressing onto the next page, he continued with his book.

Reece sat beside Cortez, with two separate PADDs.

One was the crew roster with the additions taken on at the dock, the other was the duty roster. Putting the two together to make the schedules wasn't a highlight of his temporary job, but it had to be done.

Finally, after three hours, he had finished the job and set the PADDs aside. He put his face into his hands and brought them up through his hair. He rubbed his eyes. They ached from staring at the tiny PADD screens for so long.

A beeping from his console had him jump to reality again.

"Sir, we're receiving a priority one transmission from Starfleet. I'll route it through to your ready room."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:04:39 pm by Reece Thompson »

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

ThomasRiker

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 06:05:10 pm »
Reece sat beside Cortez, with two separate PADDs.

One was the crew roster with the additions taken on at the dock, the other was the duty roster. Putting the two together to make the schedules wasn't a highlight of his temporary job, but it had to be done.

Finally, after three hours, he had finished the job and set the PADDs aside. He put his face into his hands and brought them up through his hair. He rubbed his eyes. They ached from staring at the tiny PADD screens for so long.

A beeping from his console had him jump to reality again.

"Sir, we're receiving a priority one transmission from Starfleet. I'll route it through to your ready room."

Just as the Captain was told about his message, the doors swooshed open and Masters walked out in a crisp and clean uniform. He walked to his terminal and like magic the nondescript crewman that had been there walked away, the precision of a well tuned machine. He entered his access codes logging in and beginning his duty shift. "Sir, all readings report nominal" he reported since he just checked in.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles