A Day of Thanks and Remembrance

Started by kawolsky, November 11, 2011, 03:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawolsky

A Day of Thanks and Remembrance
It's called Remembrance Day in the UK and Commonwealth countries, Veterans Day in the United States, Armistice Day in France and Belgium, Independence Day in Poland and Poppy Day in South Africa. But whatever you want to call today, the sentiment is always the same; remembrance of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in defence of our freedom, and thanks to those who are still with us.

As the clock passed 11:00am on November 11th, 1918, the First World War Á¢â,¬"œ the war that was to end all wars Á¢â,¬"œ officially ended. The guns fell silent as Germany signed the Armistice ending four years of brutal fighting in the trenches, on the sea and in the air.

Today we remember not just the 22 million servicemen who were killed, wounded or went missing during that war, but also those who have fought and died since, in defence of our freedom and for all it stands.

Join Shadow Fleet in remembrance by taking just one minute out of your day to think of those who have given their lives for yours. From the First World War, through major wars and conflicts such as the Second World War and the Korean War, right up to the modern-day conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Without their sacrifice, Shadow Fleet would most likely not exist today.

We'll remember them.

Will you?

Related Links:
Shadow Fleet is not responsible for the content of external websites.

Kale Bridges

Well, ShadowFleet might exist, but as SchattenFlotte...

However.... jokes aside... I did honour the two minute silence. Remembering those who- not only had fallen but those who were seriously wounded.

My thanks go out to those brave men and women.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Shelaf Greegy

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

I salute anyone who has fallen for their country. I'll salute then now, I'll salute them tomorrow, and I'll salute them when I'm doing the parades on Sunday, but most of all, I hope my actions bear testament to their sacrifice throughout my life.

Lance Krol

It was such a waste, that war. Ultimately, it was to end all wars and yet we couldn't do it. The politicians of the past felt they had to punish Germany and then Hitler came around. If we'd simply kneecapped their military instead of demanding damage payments that were so bad they were only repaid in recent years, maybe, just maybe, the First World War may have been the last. But no; bitterness won over, as it always has and always will.

Here's to waste, specifically of human life. Let's have two minutes silence to remember the pointless loss.

Shelaf Greegy

Quote from: Lance Krol on November 11, 2011, 05:37:09 PM

It was such a waste, that war. Ultimately, it was to end all wars and yet we couldn't do it. The politicians of the past felt they had to punish Germany and then Hitler came around. If we'd simply kneecapped their military instead of demanding damage payments that were so bad they were only repaid in recent years, maybe, just maybe, the First World War may have been the last. But no; bitterness won over, as it always has and always will.

Here's to waste, specifically of human life. Let's have two minutes silence to remember the pointless loss.

I don't think you have the point. Remembrance day isn't to remember "pointless loss.", its to remember the brave individuals who went, and indeed go today, out to defend their countries interests. This isn't a time of debate or argument, it is a time of silence and remebrance. Political motives or not, the soldiers weren't part of that, and they should be remembered sepreately.

Its fine to look back in hindsight, but back then, family losses were huge, and they wanted vengeance. Whats done is done, and that shouldn't tarnish our celebration of thoser great men and women.

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Shelaf Greegy on November 11, 2011, 06:15:47 PM

I don't think you have the point. Remembrance day isn't to remember "pointless loss.", its to remember the brave individuals who went, and indeed go today, out to defend their countries interests. This isn't a time of debate or argument, it is a time of silence and remebrance. Political motives or not, the soldiers weren't part of that, and they should be remembered sepreately.

Its fine to look back in hindsight, but back then, family losses were huge, and they wanted vengeance. Whats done is done, and that shouldn't tarnish our celebration of thoser great men and women.

Brofist man.

Well said.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Taras Cadenza

Quote from: Shelaf Greegy on November 11, 2011, 06:15:47 PM

QFT.

They gave their lives in service of their country. The ultimate sacrifice to protect the future generations of us. I can think of no act that deserves more respect then what those people did for us.

May they rest in peace, and we can remember them for the real, true heroes that they are.

Shelaf Greegy

Sorry, its just something i'm very passionate about. Over the past few weeks i've given most of my free time to raising money for the British Legion, and that "white poppy bunch" just annoy me.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.