Season 1, Mission 04: Lurking Beneath

Started by cortez, October 10, 2011, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cortez

MISSION START: October 11, 2011

"But sir, we have accurate and reliable intelligence. The pirate base is there!"

Cortez had locked himself away in his quarters for the past three days, going over intelligence reports provided to him by his old Academy friend. All sources indicated a pirate base somewhere in or near the Rileni system, a pirate base that was most likely being used to hold Commander Clarke. And he was determined to investigate it. Unfortunately Starfleet didn't agree.

After putting together a rescue plan and believing had taken every possible contingency into account, Cortez had contacted Admiral Preston at Starfleet Command for authorisation to go ahead with the mission. He thought that gaining permission would be the easy bit, but it was proving more difficult than he imagined.

"Commander"  Preston began, "I do not like repeating myself. The Churchill is needed elsewhere. While Commander Clarke's welfare is of top concern to us, we simply cannot risk a rescue operation at this time."

Cortez was visibly angry at the Admiral's seeming disregard for Clarke's life.

"But, sir-"  he appealed

"No 'buts', Commander. The decision is final. You will continue with your pre-assigned mission and that is the end of the matter. Do I make myself clear?"

Cortez bowed his head for a moment. As much as he would like very much to take the Churchill and go looking for the Commander himself, his Starfleet training got the better of him. He reluctantly agreed.

"Understood. Sir"

Moments later, the channel that was open quickly closed, replacing the aging Admiral's face with the standard Federation logo. Cortez leaned back in his chair with a sigh. Convoy duty. He hated convoy duty.

OctalLord

Octavius stared at the door to Cortezs' quarters. Giving one last thought to his actions to be sure it was a good idea. "It's been three days, darn it. It's my job to find out what's going on." He wiped his forehead on his shirt and proceeded inside. Carrying refreshments of various kinds from the mess hall as a peace offering.

"Permission to enter sir?" He asked into the low lighting.

Lance Krol

Lance stared at a console, trying to remember how he'd gotten into this mess. He'd been at Starfleet for, what, a month? A month and a half?

The virus caused a few deaths, yes. Just because he fixed it, with help, he takes the place of one of those lives?

I'm supposed to fill in for a dead lieutenant. I don't even get the pips. It's like I'm just an Ensign+. And the other ensigns used to do what I ask as if I was normal. Now they snap to attention as if I could get them fired.

Could I get them fired? I don't know. All I do know is that all my friendships have been converted into respect. And respect isn't good for much without friends to show it off to. And I have no friends here.

Every time I tell a joke, every time I make a remark, they laugh, pat me on the back, and it's back to respect. Snap to attention, smile for your superiors, laugh at their jokes because you do NOT want to be the one guy an officer doesn't like on layoffs day.

God damn respect. It's like being sealed into a vault - you're rich, but you can't eat money. You're respected, but you can't stay sane on hero worship.

Maybe it would've been better if I'd let everyone die...

Krol wasn't happy. He'd lost all his friends, gained a few followers out of the junior ensigns, and he now had enough respect to choke a goddamn whale.

And now he was losing at chess, to a computer.

What a day.

cortez

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on October 11, 2011, 01:29:16 PM

Octavius stared at the door to Cortezs' quarters. Giving one last thought to his actions to be sure it was a good idea. "It's been three days, darn it. It's my job to find out what's going on." He wiped his forehead on his shirt and proceeded inside. Carrying refreshments of various kinds from the mess hall as a peace offering.

"Permission to enter sir?" He asked into the low lighting.

Cortez, now stood and about to head out himself, turned to see Octavius at the door to his quarters. Adjusting the top half of his uniform, he walked over to him.

"No, Mr Mirwald, but we can walk and talk if you like?"  he replied, stepping past the Petty Officer and into the corridor.  "What can I do for you?"

OctalLord

Quote from: Mike Cortez on October 13, 2011, 04:49:04 PM

Cortez, now stood and about to head out himself, turned to see Octavius at the door to his quarters. Adjusting the top half of his uniform, he walked over to him.

"No, Mr Mirwald, but we can walk and talk if you like?"  he replied, stepping past the Petty Officer and into the corridor.  "What can I do for you?"

Octavius turned and went back the way we came with Mike. "Sir, I've been wondering. Like everyone else, just what exactly Starfleet has planned for us." He ran one hand through his hair and looked at the ceiling with exasperation. He hated bringing up this topic again since it had been asked of him so many times. "It's just this, with the Vacuum left open by the captains absence we all got impromptu field promotions. But noone has been brought in to take up the space."

Taking a moment to breath and collect his thoughts. Octavius worried about how redundant he must seem. Talking to his superiors frankly wasn't his strong suit.

"Like with Mr.Thompson now acting XO I got bumped up to head of Security detail. But that means I'm under staffed for nearly every little thing. Having to deal with most problems directly anyway besides my newfound authority." He complained. "Even though I see that you're doing a fine job yourself. I just don't see the point in command not letting us get or giving us back a full compliment."

Mulling over what he was about to say, he knew that he felt he wouldn't like the answer. Almost wincing as he spoke he asked. "Now since you've sequestered yourself away from us for three days without contact. Something I haven't seen you do yet. What line have you been thrown that would cause you to lock yourself away from your crew like this?"

ThomasRiker

This ship is beginning to frustrate me. No one is what they are supposed to be. The XO is acting captain, we now have an acting captain, and we have an enlisted member acting as chief of security. Do i salute an enlisted member? Don't get me wrong, i have full respect for enlisted members, more often than not they have far more experience than the officers, but Starfleet uses a chain of command dammit. I am going to the bridge and i am going to sort this out one way or another

Ensign Tobias Masters walked out of the turbolift onto the bridge with an air of determination on his face. He walked over to the center seat and clearing his throat, waiting for a response from whomever is in command.

Ensign Masters quickly realized that this person was not who he needed to see, so with a quick "excuse me" he began walking back to the turbolift. When entering he said in firm voice "Computer locate acting captain Cortez" The computer chimed and responded giving him the location. He had the lift take him to the right deck and after walking around for longer than it should have taken and a couple more times of assistance from the computer he eventually found Cortez walking with someone else.

"Capatain Cortez, i am Ensign Tobias Masters, and i am reporting for duty" he said, then realized he had just interrupted. "Sorry sir" he said somewhat less confidently than his initial statement.

Taras Cadenza

The bridge of a Galaxy-Class ship was battered, ravaged and in flames, the dark blue light of the battle lighting contrasting and intergrating with the light of the fire.

"Ensign! We need more power! Reinforce the starboard nacelle pylon!!" shouted the captain, standing slowly up from his chair, holding on to its arms as the Jem'Hadar battleship reared its head, pointing towards them like an eagle turning to swiftly chase after its prey.

"Reinforce the forward shield! Prepare for saucer seperation!" he barked further. "If we go down, we'll take them with us... and avenge our fallen captain."

The bridge shuddered from another blow, as another torpedo shattered the deflector dish.

"Commander! We've lost sensors!" shouted a lieutenant at the scarred, sparking oengineering console. "Hull integrity has been severely compromised!"

"Hmm..." grunted the captain. "Computer... freeze program."

Everything around the captain froze to a single still frame. The captain himself, was Lieutenant JG Taras Cadenza, wearing a older Starfleet uniform, the black shouldered, crimson-torsoed Type-A uniform from the 2360s and 70s. He removed the two extra solid pips from his collar, replacing them with a hollow pip, should be called up for duty quicker than expected.

He was creating a holo-novel based on the escapades of his father, Mika Cadenza. He had been one of the commanders in the Dominion War, taking command of his starship, the USS Edgeworth, during crucial times and battles after her Captain had been killed.

Taras smiled to himself. The first chapter was almost complete, after having begun with a bang. He just needed to iron out the kinks, hopefully before his next duty shift.

"Computer, end and save program." he stated, calmly, and shortly afterwards, the crippled bridge returned to the normal silver cube state of the holodeck.

He left the holodeck, en route back to his quarters. 

cortez

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on October 13, 2011, 06:04:30 PM

Octavius turned and went back the way we came with Mike. "Sir, I've been wondering. Like everyone else, just what exactly Starfleet has planned for us." He ran one hand through his hair and looked at the ceiling with exasperation. He hated bringing up this topic again since it had been asked of him so many times. "It's just this, with the Vacuum left open by the captains absence we all got impromptu field promotions. But noone has been brought in to take up the space."

Taking a moment to breath and collect his thoughts. Octavius worried about how redundant he must seem. Talking to his superiors frankly wasn't his strong suit.

"Like with Mr.Thompson now acting XO I got bumped up to head of Security detail. But that means I'm under staffed for nearly every little thing. Having to deal with most problems directly anyway besides my newfound authority." He complained. "Even though I see that you're doing a fine job yourself. I just don't see the point in command not letting us get or giving us back a full compliment."

Mulling over what he was about to say, he knew that he felt he wouldn't like the answer. Almost wincing as he spoke he asked. "Now since you've sequestered yourself away from us for three days without contact. Something I haven't seen you do yet. What line have you been thrown that would cause you to lock yourself away from your crew like this?"

Cortez was just about to open his mouth in response to Octavius' comments when a young, fresh looking Ensign rudely interupted him. However, his timing was appropriate.
Quote from: Tobias Masters on October 13, 2011, 06:19:24 PM

This ship is beginning to frustrate me. No one is what they are supposed to be. The XO is acting captain, we now have an acting captain, and we have an enlisted member acting as chief of security. Do i salute an enlisted member? Don't get me wrong, i have full respect for enlisted members, more often than not they have far more experience than the officers, but Starfleet uses a chain of command dammit. I am going to the bridge and i am going to sort this out one way or another

Ensign Tobias Masters walked out of the turbolift onto the bridge with an air of determination on his face. He walked over to the center seat and clearing his throat, waiting for a response from whomever is in command.

Ensign Masters quickly realized that this person was not who he needed to see, so with a quick "excuse me" he began walking back to the turbolift. When entering he said in firm voice "Computer locate acting captain Cortez" The computer chimed and responded giving him the location. He had the lift take him to the right deck and after walking around for longer than it should have taken and a couple more times of assistance from the computer he eventually found Cortez walking with someone else.

"Capatain Cortez, i am Ensign Tobias Masters, and i am reporting for duty" he said, then realized he had just interrupted. "Sorry sir" he said somewhat less confidently than his initial statement.

"Ensign Masters. Yes..."   he said, recognising the new arrival.   "Petty Officer Mirwald, please meet Ensign Tobias Masters, our newest addition to the Security department."

Cortez turned to Masters.

"Ensign, I'm afraid we're short on crewmembers at the moment so you'll have to learn quickly."

The small group continued to walk down the corridor until they came to a turbolift. Cortez stepped inside.

"Mr. Mirwald here will show you how we do things here on the Churchill. If you need me, I'll be on the bridge."

With that, the turbolift doors swished closed leaving the two crewmen alone on the deck.

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Mike Cortez on October 14, 2011, 11:02:54 AM

Cortez was just about to open his mouth in response to Octavius' comments when a young, fresh looking Ensign rudely interupted him. However, his timing was appropriate.

"Ensign Masters. Yes..."   he said, recognising the new arrival.   "Petty Officer Mirwald, please meet Ensign Tobias Masters, our newest addition to the Security department."

Cortez turned to Masters.

"Ensign, I'm afraid we're short on crewmembers at the moment so you'll have to learn quickly."

The small group continued to walk down the corridor until they came to a turbolift. Cortez stepped inside.

"Mr. Mirwald here will show you how we do things here on the Churchill. If you need me, I'll be on the bridge."

With that, the turbolift doors swished closed leaving the two crewmen alone on the deck.

Tobias sighed in near exasperation, He finally finds the acting captain and is left without even getting a word out of his mouth. Oh well, he has been left in what Tobias could only assume was a capable crewmen, given the insignia on his collar.

"I guess it is you and me for the time being" Tobias told Mirwald while formulating what to say next. "I know the captain said we are short handed at the moment, but I would appreciate it if you would prepare a briefing for me of just who we do have in security, and any problem areas that we need to devote attention to. I'll be in my office, stop by when you have the report ready for me."

Tobias headed to the security chiefs office, he knew it wouldn't be his forever, but he figured that this would be his resource for the moment. When he got there, he sat behind the desk, looking at a couple of the pads laying across the desk. He accessed the computer terminal. "Computer, transfer all security contolls to me, Security authorization Master Gamma 114"

The computer chimmed for a moment "Security Control transferred; Ensign Tobis Masters is now acting Security Chief if the USS Churchill"

"Computer, open a channel the acting XO" Tobias said, trying to get finish up with what preliminary matters

"Channel Open"

"Commander, if you have some time I would like to meet with you, I am currently in the Chief Security Office, but I will come to you if you prefer."  Tobias said to the Commander, thinking how everyone on the ship, including him, is acting as a different position.

OctalLord

Quote from: Tobias Masters on October 14, 2011, 11:45:06 AM

Tobias sighed in near exasperation, He finally finds the acting captain and is left without even getting a word out of his mouth. Oh well, he has been left in what Tobias could only assume was a capable crewmen, given the insignia on his collar.

"I guess it is you and me for the time being" Tobias told Mirwald while formulating what to say next. "I know the captain said we are short handed at the moment, but I would appreciate it if you would prepare a briefing for me of just who we do have in security, and any problem areas that we need to devote attention to. I'll be in my office, stop by when you have the report ready for me."

Octavius jaw nearly dropped as the newcomer had just been dropped in his lap, exerted authority over him. Then ran off before he could even begin to respond. He threw his hands up in the air as he stomped off to make rounds of the ship and fufill his new orders. "Well I did ask for more help but jeez. What's this guy's problem?"

New help wasn't the issue exactly. With as many transfers as he had gotten he was used to having authority over him suddenly change. But he worried that his new superior was crazier than Cortez and with less reason with the way he was acting.

It didn't take too much time to actually get the reports he wanted considering it was in-database carrying the data into the main security office he approached Officer Masters and placed the data on his desk. Without further hesitation he leaned over his desk and exerted his size onto the man. "Welcome to the ship, I have the information you wanted. During my time collecting I've noted you've been running all over this ship. If you look into this ships history you'll find that the last people to do that nearly made us dead in deep space."

Gleering at Masters "Now with that knowledge fresh at hand, just what the heck do you think your doing aboard my ship?" He shouldn't be leaning so hard on this man, especially if he was going to be serving over him for who knows how long. But he was annoyed at having been outright interrupted before he could get what he wanted to know out of Cortez.

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on October 14, 2011, 04:35:51 PM

Octavius jaw nearly dropped as the newcomer had just been dropped in his lap, exerted authority over him. Then ran off before he could even begin to respond. He threw his hands up in the air as he stomped off to make rounds of the ship and fufill his new orders. "Well I did ask for more help but jeez. What's this guy's problem?"

New help wasn't the issue exactly. With as many transfers as he had gotten he was used to having authority over him suddenly change. But he worried that his new superior was crazier than Cortez and with less reason with the way he was acting.

It didn't take too much time to actually get the reports he wanted considering it was in-database carrying the data into the main security office he approached Officer Masters and placed the data on his desk. Without further hesitation he leaned over his desk and exerted his size onto the man. "Welcome to the ship, I have the information you wanted. During my time collecting I've noted you've been running all over this ship. If you look into this ships history you'll find that the last people to do that nearly made us dead in deep space."

Gleering at Masters "Now with that knowledge fresh at hand, just what the heck do you think your doing aboard my ship?" He shouldn't be leaning so hard on this man, especially if he was going to be serving over him for who knows how long. But he was annoyed at having been outright interrupted before he could get what he wanted to know out of Cortez.

Tobias sat at his desk, ignoring the interruption for just a moment. He began to very quietly, almost mumble "This may be temporary, but this is currently my office. This non officer came in... did I hear the door chime.... No.... Did I utter the words "come in" no.... Have i asked to have my personal space invaded.... certainly not." after these mutterings Tobias stood up from his desk, making it a point to allow his head to briefly pass right in front of the crewmen that stood leaning over him. Tobias raised himself to his full height of over six feet and looked down at the leaning crewmen.

"I havn't been in primary school for many years CREWMEN, but perhaps it is time to enlist a practice from there. Take these reports" Tobias picked them up and handed them to Octavious "Walk out of MY office, and wait for me to invite you. Once you come in, then perhaps you could sit down, we could share a couple cups of brew, and we could talk like Starfleet personnel about how this is going to work. Dismissed." Tobias said, sitting down and going back to his work at hand. Obviously done with the situation for the moment

OctalLord

Quote from: Tobias Masters on October 14, 2011, 04:57:29 PM

Tobias sat at his desk, ignoring the interruption for just a moment. He began to very quietly, almost mumble "This may be temporary, but this is currently my office. This non officer came in... did I hear the door chime.... No.... Did I utter the words "come in" no.... Have i asked to have my personal space invaded.... certainly not." after these mutterings Tobias stood up from his desk, making it a point to allow his head to briefly pass right in front of the crewmen that stood leaning over him. Tobias raised himself to his full height of over six feet and looked down at the leaning crewmen.

"I havn't been in primary school for many years CREWMEN, but perhaps it is time to enlist a practice from there. Take these reports" Tobias picked them up and handed them to Octavious "Walk out of MY office, and wait for me to invite you. Once you come in, then perhaps you could sit down, we could share a couple cups of brew, and we could talk like Starfleet personnel about how this is going to work. Dismissed." Tobias said, sitting down and going back to his work at hand. Obviously done with the situation for the moment

Octavius grimaced at Officer Masters, if he wanted to spar authority then the game was on.

"You can't deny my access when you ordered me to get your reports and bring them to you. Even so I can still repeat my question once I get you to understand I'm working per your orders of 'informing you of any problem areas we need to devote attention to.' " He quoted back at his superior.

Crossing his arms in front of him. "I'll also have you know I've been in my career since before you entered primary School SIR." He spat the word back at him. "I must also inform of my rank of Petty Officer and respect that title during your time here."

Stepping closer to the desk now having to look far down onto Officer Masters as he receeded into his chair. "So I'll ask you a different way. I see a problem with the way you're acting aboard this ship and I need you to understand my need as a Security officer aboard it to request more information. Sir."

Taras Cadenza

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on October 14, 2011, 05:44:25 PM

Octavius grimaced at Officer Masters, if he wanted to spar authority then the game was on.

"You can't deny my access when you ordered me to get your reports and bring them to you. Even so I can still repeat my question once I get you to understand I'm working per your orders of 'informing you of any problem areas we need to devote attention to.' " He quoted back at his superior.

Crossing his arms in front of him. "I'll also have you know I've been in my career since before you entered primary School SIR." He spat the word back at him. "I must also inform of my rank of Petty Officer and respect that title during your time here."

Stepping closer to the desk now having to look far down onto Officer Masters as he receeded into his chair. "So I'll ask you a different way. I see a problem with the way you're acting aboard this ship and I need you to understand my need as a Security officer aboard it to request more information. Sir."

Taras ignored the curious looks his currently-outdated-by-just-over-a-decade-uniform was getting, as he walked down the corridor to his quarters. It was, in all honesty, quite a trek from the holodeck to his quarters.

Taras was about to walk past the office of the chief of security, but his path was cut off by a rather irate-looking chief of security himself, Octavius, who seemed to be holding records and just generally appeared to be angry as he entered.

Taras was about to say hello before the door clung shut. He shrugged, then continued walking.

Then he halted. He stroked his chin briefly. "Hmm.."

Though it was against his principles, and possibly a bit of Starfleet protocol, the young officer turned around and walked nearer the door. He was about to press the chime, but it didn't take long before he heard the rising of Octavius' voice, followed by another, American-accented voice. Cadenza narrowly recognised it as Ensign Masters, whom he had briefly passed in the corridor a few times, but never actually met.

Wait a second... Octavius is the chief around here. But if Octavius is handing records to... and if Ensign Masters is... Sweet mother of usurp. Taras thought to himself. He stood by the side of the door, in a waiting pose, ready to catch Octavius, should he come out.

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on October 14, 2011, 05:44:25 PM

Tobias sat for a moment to collect him self, he ignored the looming figure over him. "I'm going to say this as gently as possible Petty Officer I could give two shits about rank and how long you have had it or how old I was when you got it. We are BOTH missing the point here, we need to get OUR department in order. We have a ship full of people acting in a position that they aren't. Hell, I am acting Security Chief, and last I counted I have ONE pip on my color!" Tobias said, now getting to what is almost a shout.

Calming himself he began again "Now, please sit down, and lets talk about this. We both have said things that are irrelevant, so lets get to what is relevant."

OctalLord

Quote from: Tobias Masters on October 14, 2011, 05:59:57 PM

Tobias sat for a moment to collect him self, he ignored the looming figure over him. "I'm going to say this as gently as possible Petty Officer I could give two shits about rank and how long you have had it or how old I was when you got it. We are BOTH missing the point here, we need to get OUR department in order. We have a ship full of people acting in a position that they aren't. Hell, I am acting Security Chief, and last I counted I have ONE pip on my color!" Tobias said, now getting to what is almost a shout.

Calming himself he began again "Now, please sit down, and lets talk about this. We both have said things that are irrelevant, so lets get to what is relevant."

Octavius grimace turned to a smirk, as he sat down. Enjoying his momentary victory in getting the new blood to not meet his gaze. Even if he didn't want to share the authority of his position. He decided he to let the subject change.

"Fine then, here's the situation as it is. The previous person in your position is currently acting XO and the XO is acting captain. These things I hope that you know." Octavius wasn't going to become entirely amiable just yet. "What you may not know is that many of the crew around aren't happy with the way things are. Especially those that are in positions they're not trained for, and missing staff that are only now after several months service are being replaced. Like with you."

Octavius leaned back, templing his fingers in front of him. "So Officer Masters. What do you think of the situation. Do tell me that you were taught a special solution to a specific situation like this? With your being fresh out of the academy I'm sure the best information is available. Sir..."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.