Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 01: Forgotten  (Read 26803 times)

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Season 1, Mission 01: Forgotten
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 10:13:39 am »
Reece lowered his PADD and took another drink.

"Sir." A voice said."

Reece turned around and saw a crewman. He stood up. "Yes lad."

"Sir. I'm Crewman Jones. I'm in security team beta."

Reece looked back at his PADD. "Ah, Jones yes. What can I do you for?"

"Oh, it was nothing. I just wanted to introduce myself."

Reece smiled and chuckled.  "It's alright crewman. I'll be arranging meetings soon enough. You'll get your turn." He saw David Webb stood in the corner. "If you'll excuse me crewman."

The two men nodded and parted ways. Reece walked up to Webb.

"Crewman Webb. I recognize you from your record. What little there was of it." He said.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 01:39:30 pm »
Kawolsky tapped his com badge. He hated to interupt the festivities in the mess hall, but this mission couldn't wait any longer.

"Kawolsky to Commander Clarke"  he said, "Can you and Commander Cortez meet me in the briefing room? I have something important to discuss with you."

"Seems business calls," Clarke said as he finished his drink and set his glass down. "Ready to go, Mr. Cortez?"

cortez

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 01:46:33 pm »
"Seems business calls," Clarke said as he finished his drink and set his glass down. "Ready to go, Mr. Cortez?"

Cortez nodded.

"Aye, sir" he replied, as the two of them headed out.

Offline Drax

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in August 2011. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 01:53:34 pm »
Engineering was a hive of activity. Technicians were milling around fixing, realigning, calibrating... He took a certain amount of pride seeing that so many of his people had neglected to go the the festivities in favour of making some last minute tweaks to the various, under performing systems...

Very little opportunity had arisen over the preceding weeks to familiarise himself with all the new crew but, no doubt, the integration would see to itself and sort itself out...

... Unlike the rest of the ship.

Glancing down at his admin padd he noted that a sizeable number of jobs had disappeared as crews had checked them off.

"Still a pretty sizeable list." he thought to himself.

"I'll be in deflector control," he announced to the crowd, "something else that doesn't appear to want to behave itself."

He glaced at the multitude of golden uniforms meandering through engineering as he left.
An odd sense of pride came over him before he realised that he actually knew very little about these people and the upcoming tour could turn out to be a total nightmare...

Time would tell.

As he began his journey to the deflector control room he began to think.

"How can the deflector be out of alignment... It must have been fully functional for when the ship completed her warp-stress tests and her in system 'joy ride'."

After a few more minutes thought he surmised the universe must have something against engineers and was making a concerted effort to victimise them at every given opportunity.

It may be a paranoid assumption but it was the best he had so far so it'd do.

The doors hissed apart.

Mostly.

"Great..." he hissed and added another entry to his list.

Mk1: Would you stop breathing down my neck.
Mk2: My breathing is just a simulation.
Mk1: So is my neck, stop it anyway!

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 02:23:01 pm »
Cortez nodded.

"Aye, sir" he replied, as the two of them headed out.

Clarke and Cortez arrived in the briefing room to see Kawolsky sitting at the head of the table. Clarke took a seat near Kawolsky and said, "Has something come up, Admiral?"

kawolsky

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »
Clarke and Cortez arrived in the briefing room to see Kawolsky sitting at the head of the table. Clarke took a seat near Kawolsky and said, "Has something come up, Admiral?"

Kawolsky stood, addressing the new presence of the two officers.

"Indeed, Commander"  he began

Kawolsky leaned forward, over the table, his right hand position behind his back parallel to the floor; it was an odd habit he had picked up since his promotion, one he couldn't seem to shake. His left hand came down onto the table top, fingers extended, like a spider crawling along the smooth wooden surface. This was a habit he always possessed, and would do it whenever he had something to explain. This time was no different.

"Admiral Costanza has just informed me of several attacks on civilian ships along the Klingon border. Starfleet believes a rogue pirate group is responsible and has tasked me with investigating. I'm sending the Churchill to locate and apprehend whomever is responsible."

Offline Petr Hajek

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Commissioned Officer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in August 2011.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 02:40:48 pm »

Danny stood back from the majority of the people in the mess hall.  He wasn't one to avoid a good party when there was one, but this definitely wasn't one of those.  Instead he was people-watching.  He found it fascinating to see how people that were out of their depth behaved.  Chuckling to himself he saw the two members of his science team trying desperately to feel comfortable. As Chief Science Officer with a few good years of service at the level of department head he knew what his people needed.

"Time to put them out of their misery." he told himself as he crossed the floor, intentionally avoiding eye-contact with anyone until he reached Ensign Beckwith.

"Is it just me, or does this feel...awkward?"  he said.

Slightly startled by his voice, she turned to him but he had started to walk across the room toward an individual that was staring into an empty glass.  Teresa followed;  Quite why, eluded her.

"Crewman Hajek."  Lieutenant Osorio placed his hand on Petr's shoulder.  "Shall we get out of here?"

Petr looked at the smiling Chief Science Officer and the attractive Ensign who by this time was peering over his shoulder.

"Anywhere in particular, Sir?" Hajek replied whilst smiling at Teresa's bemused expression from the safety of being out of the Lieutenant's sight.

Danny looked at Petr as he stared at Teresa, smiling.

"If you can break yourselves away let's regroup in the aft lounge in twenty minutes." Saying this Danny Osorio walked away before calling over his shoulder.  "We're all going to be a bit lost, what with this being a new vessel, so for those that don't know it's on deck eleven...I think."

cortez

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »
Kawolsky stood, addressing the new presence of the two officers.

"Indeed, Commander"  he began

Kawolsky leaned forward, over the table, his right hand position behind his back parallel to the floor; it was an odd habit he had picked up since his promotion, one he couldn't seem to shake. His left hand came down onto the table top, fingers extended, like a spider crawling along the smooth wooden surface. This was a habit he always possessed, and would do it whenever he had something to explain. This time was no different.

"Admiral Costanza has just informed me of several attacks on civilian ships along the Klingon border. Starfleet believes a rogue pirate group is responsible and has tasked me with investigating. I'm sending the Churchill to locate and apprehend whomever is responsible."

Cortez leaned forward in his chair, interested by what the Admiral was saying. The human in him of course wanted to assist any ship in need, but the operations officer remained concerned that the ship and crew were simply not ready for this assignment.

"With all due respect, sir, but what about our shakedown? The ship and crew is new, we need time to ensure all systems are working within specifications."

kawolsky

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 02:49:28 pm »
Cortez leaned forward in his chair, interested by what the Admiral was saying. The human in him of course wanted to assist any ship in need, but the operations officer remained concerned that the ship and crew were simply not ready for this assignment.

"With all due respect, sir, but what about our shakedown? The ship and crew is new, we need time to ensure all systems are working within specifications."

Kawolsky turned to face the looming windows that looked out onto the Starbase 83 shipyard facility, partly to admire the view but mostly so the two officers couldn't see the look on his face. He knew all too well that the Churchill wasn't ready for a proper assignment yet, but the Discovery was otherwise engaged and the Gibson and Agamemnon were undergoing extensive refits themselves.

"I'm aware of that, Commander..."

Shaking off his nervous expression, he turned back to face them.

"...but I have my orders. I'm postponing the Churchill's shakedown until this mission is complete. Don't worry, I've had the station's engineering crew check and double check every system with the best diagnostic tools available. They don't foresee any problems, and I trust their judgment."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:50:00 pm by John Kawolsky »

cortez

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:19 pm »
Kawolsky turned to face the looming windows that looked out onto the Starbase 83 shipyard facility, partly to admire the view but mostly so the two officers couldn't see the look on his face. He knew all too well that the Churchill wasn't ready for a proper assignment yet, but the Discovery was otherwise engaged and the Gibson and Agamemnon were undergoing extensive refits themselves.

"I'm aware of that, Commander..."

Shaking off his nervous expression, he turned back to face them.

"...but I have my orders. I'm postponing the Churchill's shakedown until this mission is complete. Don't worry, I've had the station's engineering crew check and double check every system with the best diagnostic tools available. They don't foresee any problems, and I trust their judgment."

"Yes, sir"

Cortez knew he wasn't going to win this one and so backed down, retreating to the cushioning that was the back of his chair. Orders were orders; he knew that as well as the next Starfleet officer.

"May I ask what intelligence we have on the pirate capabilities?"

kawolsky

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 02:58:40 pm »
"Yes, sir"

Cortez knew he wasn't going to win this one and so backed down, retreating to the cushioning that was the back of his chair. Orders were orders; he knew that as well as the next Starfleet officer.

"May I ask what intelligence we have on the pirate capabilities?"

Kawolsky headed over to the computer screen integrated into the side bulkhead. With the press of a few buttons, he pulled up the image of the aged Klingon Bird-of-Prey.

"This was taken two days ago by a civilian freighter that managed to escape attack. Starfleet Intelligence believes the pirates are using old Klingon vessels bought on the black market. Other than that, we have no information on their numbers or the size and composition of their fleet."

The monitor went black as Kawolsky turned off the image. A couple of seconds later, the standard United Federation of Planets logo appeared. Walking back to his prior position, Kawolsky clung onto the back of his chair.

"However, I have no doubt that Churchill's presence will be enough to deter future attacks. These old Klingon ships are no match for our modern shields and weaponry."

Sensing a slight feeling of worry from the two officers, Kawolsky felt the need to add an additional sentence.

"I have the utmost confidence in both of you to get this done quickly and efficiently."

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:07 pm »
Kawolsky headed over to the computer screen integrated into the side bulkhead. With the press of a few buttons, he pulled up the image of the aged Klingon Bird-of-Prey.

"This was taken two days ago by a civilian freighter that managed to escape attack. Starfleet Intelligence believes the pirates are using old Klingon vessels bought on the black market. Other than that, we have no information on their numbers or the size and composition of their fleet."

The monitor went black as Kawolsky turned off the image. A couple of seconds later, the standard United Federation of Planets logo appeared. Walking back to his prior position, Kawolsky clung onto the back of his chair.

"However, I have no doubt that Churchill's presence will be enough to deter future attacks. These old Klingon ships are no match for our modern shields and weaponry."

Sensing a slight feeling of worry from the two officers, Kawolsky felt the need to add an additional sentence.

"I have the utmost confidence in both of you to get this done quickly and efficiently."

Clarke sat back in his chair while Kawolsky outlined the details of the mission. Though piracy had always been a minor concern for civilian and merchant ships, it rarely reached the level of severity where even one Starfleet vessel was needed. Local law enforcement generally took care of the issue and a report was filed away in the Kafkaesque bureaucracies of the local government, Starfleet, and the Federation, never to be looked at again.

When Kawolsky finished speaking, Clarke waited a moment before asking, "Have the Klingons offered any assistance on the matter or are we acting alone?"

kawolsky

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 03:25:04 pm »
Clarke sat back in his chair while Kawolsky outlined the details of the mission. Though piracy had always been a minor concern for civilian and merchant ships, it rarely reached the level of severity where even one Starfleet vessel was needed. Local law enforcement generally took care of the issue and a report was filed away in the Kafkaesque bureaucracies of the local government, Starfleet, and the Federation, never to be looked at again.

When Kawolsky finished speaking, Clarke waited a moment before asking, "Have the Klingons offered any assistance on the matter or are we acting alone?"

Kawolsky paused, taking a breath, before breaking the bad news.

"As the pirate ships have not entered Klingon territory, the Klingon High Council is refusing to send any ships to assist. They say it's a 'internal Federation matter.' I'm afraid you're on your own."

cortez

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 03:26:35 pm »

"As the pirate ships have not entered Klingon territory, the Klingon High Council is refusing to send any ships to assist. They say it's a 'internal Federation matter.' I'm afraid you're on your own."

It was evident from his face that Cortez wanted to say something in response to Kawolsky's last statement, but he refrained from doing so, instead allowing Commander Clarke to speak.

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »

"How...unfortunate," Clarke said, trying to contain his annoyance. "Hopefully there isn't any evidence tying the High Council to the pirates. That might create a bit of a mess for their diplomats."

Trying to shift the tone of the conversation, Clarke followed up with, "So how soon can we expected on the border?"

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles