The Lounge [Open]

Started by Dylan Torngate, April 07, 2017, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Torngate

Welcome to the Lounge! The Lounge is a large room, located on deck 8, starboard. It has a very relaxed and congenial air about it; the Lounge is the only place on the ship where rank means nothing - "sir" need not be uttered when a person of lower rank addresses an officer, and everyone is on an equal footing. Everyone, that is, except for the Lounge Manager and Lounge Staff. Opinions can be voiced in complete safety. This lounge is the social center of the ship. As of this point, the Lounge on the Challenger does not have a name, but the arch on the door outside in worn paint still reads "Starbound". This will be a persistent holodeck thread that can take place alongside missions as appropriate, or just as a nebulous "sometime".

The events that take place are non-canon, however if referenced in one of the mission threads the event, if not the exact dialogue and like, can be considered with some form of canon.

================================================

[Lounge]

Dylan sat back in his Civilian clothes, in the rear of the Lounge. Today was a good day- He was off duty, he was out of uniform, and he was in the one place on the ship that people would publicly not call him Sir. That, and he had a deck of cards and some replicated small ceramic cookie-like things. These were, however, not meant for eating. No indeed, it was Poker. An unfortunately fun game he'd found himself introduced to in Starfleet Academy, playing off and on on the way to his first posting and beyond. He flipped the chips around a little as he sat back with some replicated Talaxian Firenut Coffee, one of the hallmark beverages brought back from the Delta quadrant by Voyager.

The drink was potent: About twenty-five to fifty percent more caffeine than regular human Coffee. If one didn't want to sleep, this was your beverage. Dylan didn't know if the caffeine addict called the Captain had found the drink, but he wouldn't put it past Will. Dylan himself had only just stumbled across the drink, quite by accident. Dylan sat back as he watched the room from the corner, looking also past the room out at the wall of windows that showed the ship at warp. He didn't know if anyone would be around- but right now Dylan was more than happy to socialize.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Jettis Jyur

[Lounge]

Jettis had stepped into the lounge, not entirely sure what he had expected. It wasn't the Discovery, he didn't see the friendly face of Kali already sitting at the bar, demanding another drink from the bartender. Nor was he coming to meet Kinley to chat while they were both off duty. In fact, all of the faces were unfamiliar, save for a couple he had informally met in passing.

Gripping the handle of his mug, he sipped at his tea absently. He had just gotten off shift, and as such had made the switch from coffee to calming tea, in the hopes of somewhat reversing the effects the three cups of black coffee had inflicted. It was a fruitless endeavor, but he didn't have much better to do anyhow.

Doing another scan of the room, his eyes finally landed on a semi-familiar face - one of the XO, toying with what appeared to be poker chips. Moving over towards him, he offered a mute smile and a nod as he met his eyes. "Looking for company, or planning on playing poker for one?" He inquired curiously, choosing to ask before taking the seat beside him.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Jettis Jyur on April 07, 2017, 05:07:00 PM

[Lounge]

Jettis had stepped into the lounge, not entirely sure what he had expected. It wasn't the Discovery, he didn't see the friendly face of Kali already sitting at the bar, demanding another drink from the bartender. Nor was he coming to meet Kinley to chat while they were both off duty. In fact, all of the faces were unfamiliar, save for a couple he had informally met in passing.

Gripping the handle of his mug, he sipped at his tea absently. He had just gotten off shift, and as such had made the switch from coffee to calming tea, in the hopes of somewhat reversing the effects the three cups of black coffee had inflicted. It was a fruitless endeavor, but he didn't have much better to do anyhow.

Doing another scan of the room, his eyes finally landed on a semi-familiar face - one of the XO, toying with what appeared to be poker chips. Moving over towards him, he offered a mute smile and a nod as he met his eyes. "Looking for company, or planning on playing poker for one?" He inquired curiously, choosing to ask before taking the seat beside him.

[Lounge]

A little darkness went into Dylan's vision as an approaching figure blocked one of the lights. He looked up, fully expecting one of the people who worked the lounge, but he didn't expect another officer- even with ranks dropped a lot of people weren't exactly interested in buddying up to the XO. It was a welcome surprise. "Mr Jyur!" he said, smiling up at the man as he set down his mug and stood. "Welcome to the Lounge."

He smiled at the man's comment. "Well for some reason even out of uniform Crewmen don't come talk to me, so I was just kind of sitting. But if you play, the more the merrier." he said. The man already had a drink, so that took care of that problem. The smell from Dylan's mug gave the area a more charged feeling, but it was great in Dylan's opinion.

When Jettis sat down, Dylan did likewise. He shuffled the cards. "Unless there's anyone else... what's the game?" he asked, indicating the chips. "Feel free to divide however you want." he said, as he shuffled and mixed up the cards into a random order, or at least if there was an order Dylan wasn't aware of it. He lay the deck down to be cut, and waited for the response.

Shadow Fleet

Jettis Jyur

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on April 07, 2017, 11:07:56 PM

[Lounge]

A little darkness went into Dylan's vision as an approaching figure blocked one of the lights. He looked up, fully expecting one of the people who worked the lounge, but he didn't expect another officer- even with ranks dropped a lot of people weren't exactly interested in buddying up to the XO. It was a welcome surprise. "Mr Jyur!" he said, smiling up at the man as he set down his mug and stood. "Welcome to the Lounge."

He smiled at the man's comment. "Well for some reason even out of uniform Crewmen don't come talk to me, so I was just kind of sitting. But if you play, the more the merrier." he said. The man already had a drink, so that took care of that problem. The smell from Dylan's mug gave the area a more charged feeling, but it was great in Dylan's opinion.

When Jettis sat down, Dylan did likewise. He shuffled the cards. "Unless there's anyone else... what's the game?" he asked, indicating the chips. "Feel free to divide however you want." he said, as he shuffled and mixed up the cards into a random order, or at least if there was an order Dylan wasn't aware of it. He lay the deck down to be cut, and waited for the response.

[Lounge]

He offered Dylan a grin, tilting his head slightly. "Thank you, sir." He replied, purely out of habit.
Smirking at Dylan's predicament of no officer wanting to approach him, he couldn't imagine why. Of everyone he had met on the ship so far, Dylan seemed to be the least intimidating, XO or not. His enthusiasm was infectious, and far from the usual stuffiness that radiated off of Officers on duty. "Well, younger officers are typical intimidated by the big honchos in charge. I don't blame them," he commented, taking a sip of his drink.

"Ever played Billabong?" He queried cutting the deck and waiting for a response, before he started dealing the cards. "'s pretty similar to Texas Hold 'Em," he tacked on to the end of his sentence.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Jettis Jyur on April 14, 2017, 03:12:25 AM

[Lounge]

He offered Dylan a grin, tilting his head slightly. "Thank you, sir." He replied, purely out of habit.
Smirking at Dylan's predicament of no officer wanting to approach him, he couldn't imagine why. Of everyone he had met on the ship so far, Dylan seemed to be the least intimidating, XO or not. His enthusiasm was infectious, and far from the usual stuffiness that radiated off of Officers on duty. "Well, younger officers are typical intimidated by the big honchos in charge. I don't blame them," he commented, taking a sip of his drink.

"Ever played Billabong?" He queried cutting the deck and waiting for a response, before he started dealing the cards. "'s pretty similar to Texas Hold 'Em," he tacked on to the end of his sentence.

[Lounge]

Dylan raised a finger in warning as Jettis spoke. "Watch that 'S' word. You know better here." he said, a friendly and open grin on his face. "Don't want you to be kicked out of here on your first time." he said, as he relaxed a bit.

"Younger officers? Are you calling me old?" He asked with an air of mock hurt, before a concessional tone took over and admitted, "Aye, I don't blame them either. Now let me tell you... Captain Lafayette was my last CO. Man she could make your head spin with paperwork for a week." he said, shaking his head. "She was a great Captain though. Quite the act to live up to," he said, as the man sat down too.

"Can't say I have, no." he started, before hearing the qualifier. "Well sure. Let's go for it. What do I have to lose but my pride." He said, as he handed the cards over. "Thankfully we're not playing for stakes either, so I think I'll be ok." he said, as he took another sip and leaned in to focus on the game.

Shadow Fleet

Rayek trLhoell

[Lounge]

Rayek stepped into the lounge and looked about.  Previous to today he hadn't visited the lounge but at Saqa7's (off ship NPC) advice to "loosen up and let your hair down" he was here now.

Feeling as if every eye was on him, he made his way to the bar.  He'd have loved to order a Romulan Ale but access to his home-world's brew was a rarity.  "Glass of Terran whiskey on ice." He ordered instead.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Kyle Briggs

Kyle had always thought of himself as a "Man of the people". He had always wanted to be there, mingling with his crew and getting to know them. He was told that The Lounge was the place to do that. He was new aboard the Challenger, recently being assigned as her XO under Captain Torngate. Kyle had yet to meet the young Captain but was due to report in shortly. But as he had time, he stopped in here first. A good drink would help settle him in. At least, as much as he could settle in without Liv and Elijah being aboard yet. They were due any time now as well. He entered the establishment and made his way to the bar.

"Jameson Irish Whiskey, please." he said to the Barkeep.

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on October 29, 2017, 09:17:33 PM

"Jameson Irish Whiskey, please." he said to the Barkeep.

Rayek looked over towards the other whiskey drinker, noting the rank on collar and not knowing the Challenger's lounge rules he acknowledged the ranking officers presence with a nod and "Commander.  Is 'Jameson Irish' a particularly note worthy brand?"

Kyle Briggs

Quote from: Rayek tr'Lhoell on October 29, 2017, 09:25:53 PM

Rayek looked over towards the other whiskey drinker, noting the rank on collar and not knowing the Challenger's lounge rules he acknowledged the ranking officers presence with a nod and "Commander.  Is 'Jameson Irish' a particularly note worthy brand?"

Kyle couldn't help but to smile at the other mans question. "One of the best Ireland has to offer, my friend." he replied. "And please, call me Kyle. From what I understand, rank has no place here in The Lounge." He looked back at the Barkeep and spoke up again. "Let me get one of these for my new friend here." he said. He handed the glass to the Romulan when it arrived. "To all the days here and after, May they be filled with fond memories, happiness, and laughter. " he toasted.

Rayek trLhoell

Rayek accepted the glass from the officer and raised in mirrored action to Kyle's toast and offered a simple one in response. "Mhiohs!" Then tipped back the whiskey into his mouth and swallowed.  It had a smooth and mild flavour - very palatable.  Not strong like Romulan Ale... but pleasing nonetheless.

He offered out his hand to the officer.  "Rayek tr'Lhoell," he said in introduction following Terran custom.

Kyle Briggs

"Very pleased to meet you, Rayek." Kyle began. "Care to join me for another?" Kyle caught the bartenders attention and ordered two more drinks before Rayek could answer. "So how long have you been on the Challenger?" he asked as he handed the second drink over.

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on October 29, 2017, 09:58:41 PM

"Very pleased to meet you, Rayek." Kyle began. "Care to join me for another?" Kyle caught the bartenders attention and ordered two more drinks before Rayek could answer. "So how long have you been on the Challenger?" he asked as he handed the second drink over.

Rayek nodded at the Commanders offer of another drink.  He noted with curiousity that despite his own introduction, the Commander did not offer his name in return and Rayek wondered if the man was just that well-known that he assumed everyone aboard would know him, or if the man was insulting him ever so slightly despite the overt display of joviality and friendliness.

"Less than a month," Rayek answered the man's question. "And yourself?  I don't recall the ship having a Commander in her ranks when I boarded?  Were you stranded on at Starbase Columbus when the ship cancelled shore leave early?"

Kyle Briggs

Quote from: Rayek tr'Lhoell on October 29, 2017, 10:08:46 PM

Rayek nodded at the Commanders offer of another drink.  He noted with curiousity that despite his own introduction, the Commander did not offer his name in return and Rayek wondered if the man was just that well-known that he assumed everyone aboard would know him, or if the man was insulting him ever so slightly despite the overt display of joviality and friendliness.

"Less than a month," Rayek answered the man's question. "And yourself?  I don't recall the ship having a Commander in her ranks when I boarded?  Were you stranded on at Starbase Columbus when the ship cancelled shore leave early?"

"I just came aboard at your last lay over." Kyle said as he realized he hadn't properly introduced himself. "My apologies. Name's Kyle Briggs. I was Chief Engineer on the Tempest and just got moved over to the Challenger as the new First Officer." He finished off his drink and motioned for another. "How are you liking it here so far?" he inquired as he looked around. "You probably thought you'd get assigned to something a little newer, huh?"

Rayek trLhoell

[Lounge]

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on October 29, 2017, 10:49:40 PM

"I just came aboard at your last lay over." Kyle said as he realized he hadn't properly introduced himself. "My apologies. Name's Kyle Briggs. I was Chief Engineer on the Tempest and just got moved over to the Challenger as the new First Officer." He finished off his drink and motioned for another. "How are you liking it here so far?" he inquired as he looked around. "You probably thought you'd get assigned to something a little newer, huh?"

Rayek nodded at the name.  He made a mental-note to search the ships files on the man's name later.  "Actually, my assignment is better than what I was expecting.  As for 'liking' it - it suits me fine."

With that said, Rayek downed the second shot of Jameson Irish whiskey.  "I'm not familiar with most leisure activities on board, can you suggest a good social activity?"

Kyle Briggs

Quote from: Rayek tr'Lhoell on October 29, 2017, 11:05:52 PM

[Lounge]

Rayek nodded at the name.  He made a mental-note to search the ships files on the man's name later.  "Actually, my assignment is better than what I was expecting.  As for 'liking' it - it suits me fine."

With that said, Rayek downed the second shot of Jameson Irish whiskey.  "I'm not familiar with most leisure activities on board, can you suggest a good social activity?"

"I'm not too sure what most of them do around here." Kyle admitted. "But I kind of like the holodeck. I enjoy some combat scenarios. I also like to revisit my home back on Earth once in a while. As for other ship activities, I guess we'll have to find out about them together." He downed his third drink and this time, when the bartender came over, he ordered a Bajoran Jumja tea. "Can't have the crew thinking I'm an alcoholic." he joked. "What kind of activities do you enjoy?" he inquired. "I'm sure there's some way to incorporate them here on the Challenger."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.