Author Topic: When Worlds Collide  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: When Worlds Collide
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 06:40:57 am »
Ensign Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Counselor Beja's office](8 weeks after Atrosian incident - mid April)

His answer had gotten away from him and he knew his frustrated words were not likely helping any.  So he tried to calm himself, even as Beja called him by his rank.   Yes, there it was - he'd upset her.  Despite her gentle tone, her choice of words spoke volumes to him.  Earlier she had been trying to connect with him calling him by his personal name. Now he was just a rank... a subservient rank to her own.

Her repeated questioned implied that he hadn't answered to her liking last time.  Like Miss Judy, it seemed she too wanted to hear something specific from him rather than listen to what he said and interpret that.   Rayek blew out a breath and tried to adjust his thinking.  During his and Tess' last session with Miss Judy, she had warned him about his over-protectiveness, calling it desperate.  Perhaps if he'd taken her words and advice more seriously the situation would be better now.. and he wouldn't have lost his position as First Officer. 

No, instead he could have lost his wife due to inaction - was the rejoinder in his thoughts.  Rayek shoved this thought aside and focused on Beja's questions, trying not to sound annoyed at having to repeat himself.

"I looked at the situation tactically.  I tried to lure the ship away by backing off the Healy.  We were ignored.  I had science assess their capabilities and was told that our shields would take one hit, likely with minor damage and then be lost.  One hit by their weapons only.   I didn't clarify if the station would hold out better.  Though perhaps I should have to diminish my sense of urgency but I didn't. 

"A review of our standard weapon capabilities against its' composite trititanium chitin with ablative armor showed that it would take several volleys to make a dint in their hull and that being best with quantum torpedoes which we wouldn't be able to use that close to the station.  Leaving us to use just the less effective phasers.  Which they would have withstood several volleys against, IF they didn't blast through our shields first.

"So I checked into the duonetic lance and found that it was exactly what we needed.  It could cut though the chitin armour like butter.  This was the best weapon to use.  Yet it is a precision blade.. random slashing with it might do nothing.  I needed to take out the ships power and ability to attack in one precision blow.  That would be difficult once they were being evasive.  The threat had already been made.  I knew they fully intended to attack. Waiting for them to attack first, possibly blowing a hole through the stations shields with that initial attack would do nothing but put people at risk.  So I acted first so that I could make the best use of the duonetic lance to end the battle before it could take lives.  My wife's especially yes, though I likely would have taken the same action had Tess been safely elsewhere..."

He repeated his answer...  It made sense to him.  But it did go against Starfleet practice, he knew this. 

Starfleet didn't want to be seen as the one attacking first.  So they taught their officers to allow their opponent first strike.   Which was a tactically stupid idea.   Rayek had always felt so... but had managed in the past to abide by it.

Now however with Tess as his wife and being pregnant..  it was more crucial to him that he keep the station safe from all threats.

"So yes.. I saw this as the only viable solution. I knew it broke protocol.  I knew I was disobeying Solluk's orders... yet it would protect the station in the most effective way.  That mattered more.  I had hoped he would understand."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:08:42 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline Beja

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2020, 01:16:06 pm »
USS Katra - Counseling Offices

Beja's job was not an easy one, but one that she loved very much. She had always felt in her heart that being a warrior was not her calling, it was never her calling. Thankfully her father had believed in her, even though she was pretty sure he had different plans and dreams for his child. But with his belief in her, she had been able to find her right path. It was now her job to help others find their right path. That was easier said than done, sometimes finding their path took a lot of work and tears, and in this case anger, but it was progress on the path. Rayek was getting closer with each little step taken.

"Let's say that you are correct and that it was the best tactical option available.Tell me, were tactics the only things worthy of consideration in your situation?" Beja empathized with Rayek, she understood the frustration and anger, and confusion he was going through. But there was no other way to go through it, than to actually go through it. To feel all those terrible things, to embrace them with wide open arms, and to make amends with them.

Beja picked up her teacup and took a sip of the liquid, allowing him time to respond to her question, while she tapped in some more notes on her PADD. Like the old famous human saying, Rome was not built in a day, neither would Rayek be.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:20:25 pm by Tess tLhoell »

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2020, 12:36:52 am »
Ensign Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Counselor Beja's office](8 weeks after Atrosian incident - mid April)

Rayek heard skepticism in Beja's words.   'Let's say you are correct' was just a polite way of saying 'you're wrong but that's not the point at the moment'.   

"Of course not, however, diplomacy had failed by that point.  An ultimatum was made that Solluk could not respond to in any way that would prevent attack. His hands were tied.  My choices were to follow duty... allow the attack and risk not being able to get the targeted shot with the duonetic lance - risk the stations defenses failing under an unfamiliar weapons system.  Or strike first, render their vessel useless and cause no physical harm to those that would attack us."

Rayek's expression twisted "But if you want me to look at other options, I suppose I could have gone against orders in an even worse manner and simply had the Etrosian beamed to the Atrosian ship.  Let them deal with their own issues.  A simple yet unpleasant solution.  Certainly one that none would find anything redeemable in me afterwards.  So it is good that I didn't think of it then....   

"But that's not what you are trying to get me to realize is it?  So let's say I did wait... what could have resulted?   Well if I had waited as Solluk would have had me until they unleashed upon the station and then I have little doubt my overprotective nature would have surfaced in justified righteousness to target their engines with the duonetic lance - the easiest and most effect target to cut power to weapons - because my goal would be to prevent further attacks.

"This most likely would have caused a power overload with more than likely a handful of Atrosian deaths or at least serious injury since I wouldn't have the luxury of fine targeting to limit collateral damage.  It might have even resulted in catastrophic damage to their engine core that could have had the entire ship explode, right close to the station... killing both them and some of our own."
  It was a grisly alternative to what had actually happened.

Rayek regarded Beja blandly.  "Is there an option I am missing?  One in which the entirety of the My Little Targ village appear and preach tolerance and friendship to the Atrosians until they power down their weapons and apologize for being so pig-headed?".

Yes, he was mocking now... which wasn't fair to Beja - she was only trying to get him to see what he'd done as wrong.  To ensure that he would follow the regs next time.  Fvadt!  He stood up and walked towards the door but turned about, before the sensor activated, to pace back and forth a moment while he let the movement of pacing settle himself.   

After 4 passes he stopped and addressed Beja. "My apologies Lieutenant.  My mocking was uncalled for."

Offline Beja

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2020, 02:24:15 am »

Beja listened quietly while Rayek worked himself up once more. His emotions clearly jumbling up inside of him, and coming out in spurts of anger, frustration, lashing out, etc. This was good of course, because it was in this tornado of feelings that breakthroughs were made. He was on the precipice of that aha moment everyone gets throughout their life. That moment when all things come together in a burst of understanding and insight.

"There's no need to apologize. I've taken no offense," Beja assured him. She had endured much worse attitudes in the past. The one thing that could be credited to her Klingon childhood was having what the humans call a thick skin.

"Why does the Federation have a policy against shooting first?" Beja asked him, curious if he even really knew the answer to that question.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:20:57 pm by Tess tLhoell »

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2020, 06:10:55 pm »
Ensign Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek was relieved that the Klingon counselor hadn't taken offense to his words or his outburst.   He had remind himself that he wasn't here to justify his actions.  He had tried that in front of the Admirals and it had amounted to little.   No, he was here now to help ensure he didn't make the same mistake again.  Tess was forgiving... but she'd already stated this couldn't happen again. 

Beja's question was key.  While Rayek technically knew the textbook answer it - the fact that he didn't believe in it highlighted the root of the matter.  During his time at the Mars Academy, Rayek had struggled with some of the Federations most basic tenets and values, which is why he was held back even in the enlisted courses.  It wasn't that he didn't have the skills,  or couldn't recite the litany.  It was that his outlook and thus actions would often run contrary to Federation principle - so Starfleet instructors had tested him thoroughly and repeatedly on those before allowing him to begin his first assignment.  So much so that the drilled response did tend to be his first... but evidently not in all cases.  Not when it was people he cared for being threatened.

Rayek remained standing while he answered by rote, quoting the policy, looking at Beja but not quiet meeting her eyes. "Because it is United Federation of Planets policy.  The belief that if you regard force as a primary option, then that option will be exercised. Therefore Section 11.6 of Starfleet 'Tactical Policies' states:  force is not to be regarded as an option in interstellar relations unless all other options have been exhausted...The policy goes on to state that a starship is regarded as an instrument of policy for the United Federation of Planets and its member nations. As such, its officers and crew are expected to exhaust every option before resorting to the use of force in conflict resolution."

Rayek's glance lowered until he was looking at his tea cup sitting on the table as he continued his answer knowing that Beja was not wanting a textbook answer, "I know the policy, counselor.  What I apparently lack is the belief in it."

Offline Beja

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2020, 12:58:32 am »

Rayek gave the textbook perfect answer to Beja's question, an answer that would have gotten him straight marks on an entrance test into Starfleet. But it was his last words that were the most troubling to her. The fact he believed he lacked belief in the policy. He knew the policy. He just didn't believe in the policy. Did he really not believe in the policy itself, or was that just something he was saying in order to help justify his actions?

"Rayek, if you do not believe in the policy of the Starfleet, why did you join it? The United Federation of Planets would have given you asylum without having you join Starfleet. So why did you join if you do not share the philosophies of it?" Beja asked him in gentle tones. She was not judging him, she never did. But she needed him to really begin to understand the actual meaning behind his actions. She couldn't tell him, she needed him to discover that answer. Her job was to help him to do so.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:21:24 pm by Tess tLhoell »

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2020, 06:10:10 pm »
Ensign Rayek tr'Lhoell

Once again Beja's questions were not easy to answer, but he'd was beginning to understand that the counseling process only was good as what you put into it. Which meant being wholly honest.

"I joined it because I thought it was the only way to prove myself to the woman I believed I loved." While he didn't mention Saqa7 by name he was aware that the Medical department had often socialized together and it was possible that the topic had come up.  He hoped not.  "And accepting the Federation's asylum and charity without offering something back did not sit well with my mnhei'sahe" (*translation: honor)

"She was a Lieutenant in Starfleet at the time and my impression of courtship being based on Romulan practices suggested that I would have a better chance at pursuing her if I too was an officer.   Unfortunately, Starfleet Headquarters and the Academy recognized my unsuitability and rejected my application multiple times until I put in instead for Enlisted and even then what was supposed to be 6 month training program took me a over a year to pass because of problems with being able to comprehend exactly these philosophies." he explained with a frown.

"It's not that I don't want to believe in them.  But in practice... I am no good at it."  His actions to date proved that. "I had thought I had learned enough to do what was deemed right, disciplined enough to be able to follow through on the rules and philosophies even without truly believing but ...  I couldn't, not when it was those I care about, those I am responsible for that were at risk."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:14:45 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles