Author Topic: Task of the 'Century' (John/Tess)  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Task of the 'Century' (John/Tess)
« on: March 18, 2019, 07:15:20 pm »
(After mission s1m5)
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - CMO office]

Tess sat at her desk, looking through some medical shift adjustments she wanted to finish til the end of the day to send them back to the command staff. As CMO she did more paper work at her desk than actual patient treatment, a development she didn't like. Dealing with people, helping them, chatting and exchanging with them was what she loved - but it became a lesser part of her everyday work life and she didn't like it.

Because of that she had been taking up every mandatory physical examination, not only of the senior officers, but of all the Starfleet personnel on the station, including crewmen and cadets if there should be some.

Which brought her to one of the tougher nuts she had to crack - Lt. John Saxon. The man whose nickname was 'Century' - for a reason. He simply was at an age when the aches and pains came. And he had them quite evidently since she had seen in his file when and how often he came in for treatment or to pick up something for pain relief. Normal for a person of his age. A fact that the stubborn old man tried to ignore - at least that was Tess' impression, because the man had brought off to skip the appointments for his annual physical examination - had it been three or four times? Tess had stopped counting. And he had been successfully avoiding her whenever he could.
That was why she had to make use of the Captain's assistance to finally make him show up to his physical examination by order.

As her gaze stopped at the time that was displayed on the monitor she saw that it was only a few minutes til it was time. She wondered if he would show up this time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:20:46 pm by Tess Moreno »

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Task of the 'Century' (John/Tess)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:52:12 am »
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - Outside CMO office]

John 'Century' Saxon stood not far from the CMO's Office door. He did not want to be here. The idea of someone examining him because of his, admittedly very advanced, age was immensely frustrating. He didn't mind being treated for injuries received in the line of duty - the most recent situation included - but even then only when his capacity to function at all was compromised; indeed, much of his body was testimony to medical intervention and maintenance of almost industrial scale. But today? Today was an exercise in timewasting. For both them.

It wasn't as if he resent Doctor Moreno, per se. She was perfectly amenable. Friendly, even. And her brilliantly expert efforts after the Dosi incursion enabled him to be back on his feet far, far sooner than he would have imagined. But despite all this, if the Captain had not outright ordered him to her office for what was tantamount to study, he would have continued to use all his expertise in avoiding this yet again.

Fearing this was a battle that would be too costly for even him to fight this time, Saxon sucked it up, walked over to the expectant door and raised a weathered finger to the chime to signal his arrival.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:01:19 am »

Tess looked up when she heard the door chime. She was surprised, though she knew she practically forced him to attend. But Starfleet regulations dictated regualarly physical examinations. The fact that Lt. Saxon tried to avoid that made her assume he had a reason for that - physical ones perhaps.

"Come in, please", she called from inside and once he stepped in, Tess rose from her chair and walked around her desk to greet him properly. She would have done so with everyone, but did so out of respect to the man in the first place. They held the same rank but John was about 75 years older than Tess after all. Paying deference especially to older people was something she had been taught from an early age on her home planet and she would always act on it.

"Lieutenant", she acknowledged him with a friendly smile and reached her hand out to shake his. "I'm glad we finally could get together." She gestured for the chair that was placed in front of her desk. "Can I get you something to drink?"

Yes, she wanted to talk first.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:26:14 am »

As she held out her hand, Saxon did all but roll his eyes and groan - this wasn't going to be just business, then. He should have guessed, but it was clear the good Doctor was in the mood for conversation...

Taking it in the spirit it was offered nonetheless, John noticed, with a smattering of embarrassment, the difference in skin quality. Hers was young, smooth, warm, tight. His, on the other..err..hand, was loose with age and rough with callous. They were spades that had seen a lifetime of toil; hands that had grabbed half-dead Ensigns from the battlefields and brought down hundreds of enemy combatants. They were also a little cold, despite the relatively new heart thudding in his elderly chest.

For a moment, he felt ashamed at the disparity.

Her rank was the same as his, and it brought home, again, the absurdity of being made an officer after so many decades of being in the ranks. But this wasn't time to mope. This was time to go through the motions and get it all over and done with as quickly as possible.

"Lieutenant" he managed, with a not-charmless smile. His voice, distinct with it's elegant gravel, pronounced her rank in an archaic manner - Left-tenant - but clearly not due to any particular result of his distant year of birth. He looked about, unnecessarily, at her offer of a drink and shrugged. Why not - for medicinal purposes, surely. "That would be wonderful. A port, please. Tawny, not ruby."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:41:02 am by John Saxon »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 11:22:50 am »

Of course the difference of age was apparent in everything - but while she shook his little bit cold hand, she found them quite charismatic, just like his aged face and rough grumble of his voice. The old-fashioned way to pronounce the word 'Lieutenant' and the unexpected charming smile he had given her only added to that.

At his choice of alcohol she gave a surprised chuckle, but didn't object at all. "I'll get it for you in a moment. Please, have a seat, Lieutenant." She nodded to the chair before she turned to the replicator. She thought for a moment how to order the specific drink John wanted but managed successfully in the end. She chose tea for herself and then placed the glass in front of John on the desk before she sat down on the other side of it, facing him.

"How do you feel today?", she asked, looking at him attentively. The Security chief always came across as a little bit grumpy, so Tess assumed he wasn't much the type for smalltalk, but it was her way to start a conversation. And by the way, she wasn't asking how he felt as a conversation starter alone. Before, when they were shaking hands, there was an expression on his face she couldn't quite pinpoint, but he looked quite uncomfortable.

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:24:28 am »

Saxon sat stiffly in the comfortable chair opposite Moreno, like he was one of those damn Soong androids ready for a diagnostic, the very generous measure of port untouched in one hand. Interrogated by Romulans he could handle - and had done, in his time. But asking how he felt? Well, that was just unfair.

"I'm fine thank you, Doctor" he replied, with perhaps a touch too much force. He immediately felt a little bad and he flexed his other hand absentmindedly. The joints were a little stiff lately, no doubt due to the amount of gripping and blunt force trauma they had endured recently. In fact, much of his body had continued to ache, and mostly those areas where medical science had  felt it not possible, or critical, to replace. Vital organs - heart, lungs, pancreas, liver - among others, were of those of a man a third of his age. It was the other elements (muscles, tendons, joints, his whole skeletal structure...even brain...) that remained 'factory originals'. And it was one, or all, of those which would eventually spell the final end of his career.

Taking a deep breath, John tried to make up for his terse attitude. At least on this one occasion. "And your self?"

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:13:06 am »

Tess' gaze subtly dropped to John's hand that he was flexing as if trying to release tension of stiff muscles. She then took a small sip of her tea as she listened to him.

She wasn't so surprised to hear him say he was fine, of course he would say that. The thing that came unexpected was him returning the question. Barely a patient did ask the doctor back how they felt. It made Tess smirk in fond amusement.

"I feel still a little off from the events that had taken place here", she admitted, "but other than that, I feel fine, thank you." She gave him a small smile. For a moment she thought about keeping the small talk up for a while longer, but he probably would prefer for her to get to the point.

She cleared her throat quietly as she leaned forward and picked up her PADD, calling up his medical file along with some notes she had made. "Starfleet wants me as CMO to conduct regularly physical examinations of all Starfleet personnel. While I'm aware that these appointments are not popular", she paused to give him an understanding smile, "they need to be done." Tess lowered the PADD to rest on her lap as she directed her full attention back on John. "I noticed you've been ... let's say ... 'avoiding' the appointments I have set for you." Which included cancelling, postponing and then cancelling or not showing up at all. "All five of them." She added to emphasise her point, but again with a little understanding grin. Her face became more attentively again when she asked her question: "Is there a certain reason for that?"

While she had thought about him, the assumption came to her that he maybe simply didn't like doctors, or suffered from a phobia regarding anything medical - unlikely, but there was nothing that wasn't possible - or that there was a certain condition he knew of and didn't want to be discovered.

While she waited for his response, she took another sip of her tea as she looked at him.

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 06:29:00 am »
[Katra Station - Deck 22 - CMO office]El-Aurians.

"Ah-ohhhhh.. No, no Mister Saxon. That won't do at all. Do you think you could stop me, of all people? If I may, that's always been your problem. I know you. Ha. Indeed, we've known each other for so very long. And you're never prepared to step over that thin red line your drew yourself. Tut tut tut. Now, forgive my rudeness but I have a Federation to save...by whatever means at my not-inconsiderable disposal."

Saxon blinked back to the present day, and refocused his attention to the doctor. "To be honest, Doctor Moreno" he replied, feeling something well up in his chest, "I find these examinations an absolute waste of both our time. I think you and I both know what will be the result. I'm very healthy in some respects, showing my advanced age in others. You'll suggest more rest, more hydration, and more sleep. You'll also suggest I begin to 'take it easy', as someone in my condition- "

The port glass exploded in his quivering hand.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:17:59 am by John Saxon »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:24:35 am »

Tess watched Saxon narrowing his eyes, which gave his look something wary or suspicious. She didn't know exactly what caused that reaction but there was even more surprising yet to come.

Tess was a patient person. A while already passed and John hadn't answered yet. She knew how important it was to allow for the other to take time for their reply. Many people became nervous or impatient when there wasn't an answer right away and tended to start to explain the question or add additional information. Tess had learned to wait and not become edgy when there was silence or a long pause.

So while she waited, for a moment John seemed to be lost in his own head, absent-mindedly staring at a random point before he blinked and returned to the here and now.
Tess tilted her head to the side as she still waited, looking at him patiently. What she noticed was the slight trembling of John's hand.

His words revealed to the fullest why he had been avoiding her and her appointments. He was one of the patients who believed to know better than the doctor and so saw no necessity to appear for examinations. Didn't she love those?

Tess was already gathering some thoughts to say in return to his statement when there was suddenly a loud cracking noise and the glass exploded in John's hand. Tess actually flinched slightly before she realized what had happened. Well she didn't know for sure but it had looked like John had been gripping the glass so tightly that it broke in his hand.

The liquid splashed over part of her desk and she quickly stood up to walk over to John. "Are you alright?", she asked, for two reasons actually: to get to know if something had made him so upset to squash the glass or if the trembling had something to do with it.
"I hope you didn't cut yourself." She bent over to pick up some of the shards and then reached out her hand to gently take hold of his, turning his palm to her to take a look at it.

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:56:47 am »

When the glass shattered in his hand - crushed by the strong emotions he was trying (and failing) to rein in, Moreno was - as predicted - incredibly patient and understanding, to such an extent that Saxon could not decide whether to be further infuriated (feeling, momentarily, like she was acting as his carer) or incredibly apologetic.

The decision clarified itself as a little of both as she reached out to touch his hand, to look for any cuts from the resulting reaction. He stood up abruptly, wishing her young hand to not touch his - rough, unyielding shovels that had blood on it, albeit figuratively as the shards themselves did not lacerate nor penetrate .

Finally he understood what was bothering him over the last few weeks. Not only was he feeling old, worn out and completely ineffectual (his eventual collapse in Medbay whilst repelling the Dosi had affected him deeply) but his hands were tarnished, terrible things: rusty weapons of war that should not be permitted to sully soft, gentle hands made for healing. For reasons he could not articulate,  nor properly comprehend, to do so was almost akin to blasphemy. And soft thoughts like that made him weak. And weakness he had already enough of. "Doctor Moreno" he stated, firmly, as moved away from her and his seat. "I must apologise for my behaviour. Perhaps today is not the day after all. We will reschedule."

And with that, he turned towards the door.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 02:09:37 pm »

It was clear on the man's face that he was upset - angry even. Tess had managed to catch a glimpse on John's palm to see that luckily it wasn't cut open - not even a scratch - before he stood up abruptly, making Tess taking a step back so they wouldn't stand in each other's way.

A small frown formed on her face - not one of anger but one of concern - as she watched him backing away from her.
Inwardly she already accepted his apology and would express that once he was finshed, but then he explained his wish to reschedule and even turned his back on her to head for the door without waiting for her to reply anything.

Well, she did anyway.

"Mr. Saxon", she said in sharp voice with so much authority in it barely someone would have thought she would be capable of. Everyone knew her as the calm, kind and patient person, maybe even her young age added to the tendency that most undererstimated her or thought they could walk over her easily. But there was this other side of her that peeked out if necessary.
Yes, she was over half a dozen decades younger than him and not even superior in rank, but she was the CMO and that gave her authority over him. Maybe that was what he would hear of. Addressing the soldier in him.

"My schedule says we have the appointment today, right here and now, and that will be the case until I declare the meeting and examination over. You seem to forget that I have to answer to the same commanding officer like you do and I have my duty to perform and right now you are keeping me from doing my job."

She paused, her whole body on tension since she wasn't used to use that tone and admittedly, she didn't really like it. When he wouldn't move at first, she added in a more soft but still firm voice: "Now. Have a seat, please." She gestured to the chair he had been sitting in a moment ago.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:11:04 pm by Tess Moreno »

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 09:25:48 am »

From behind him, as he neared the office door, her voice changed. Not the patient, warmly compassionate voice she was known for, but the sharp bark of someone who knew their authority, and was in no mood to see it circumvented. A combination of training and respect halted his motion, and Saxon turned to look at her, eyes narrowing, wondering whether to challenge the instruction. But then her tone softened - if not completely thawed - to direct him back to his seat. It seemed clear to both that this session was not going to end until one or both (the former being Dr Moreno herself) was satisfied with the outcome.

Straightening his stance, and tugging on his uniform tunic, Saxon relented and moved towards the chair once more. But before he did so, he knelt down and began to run his fingers lightly over the carpet, searching for more pieces of broken glass. "Please accept my apologies Doctor" he said, slightly muted, "it was impolite to leave you with a mess of my own making."

The dual meaning wasn't lost on him.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:44:23 am by John Saxon »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 12:04:39 pm »

Tess slowly released the breath she didn't realize she had been holding when John heard her words and turned back to the seat.
As she was assuming he would sit down now and prepared herself to walk back to her own seat and resume the interview, the old soldier suddenly knelt down. Tess faltered in confusion as to what he might be up to, but then she saw his wrinkled hand moving about the carpet.

She wasn't so sure why he was worried about the broken glass now, but she didn't comment on it. Instead she took a small step closer but still stood a couple of meters away from him. "That is not necessary, Lieutenant", she said, her tone now soft again how it usually was. "I will have the floor cleaned by the maintenance team after our meeting."

She felt the urge to offer her support for the aged man to get back to his feet but resisted, assuming it would feel insulting and embarrassing to him. A small pause followed before Tess spoke up. "I would like to resume the meeting now. As soon as you feel ready." Her tone was obliging while she waited patiently. She would not sit down before he did out of respect for the elderly man.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:28:12 pm by Tess Moreno »

Offline John Saxon

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 07:33:21 pm »

At her conciliatory tone, John nodded. Inwardly, he knew he was just making excuses. And perhaps Doctor Moreno was right. He was being needlessly obstructive - it was unfair and undignified. Perhaps, he really did need to talk. Perhaps this rusty blade needed a blacksmith.

He sat down, avoiding the sound of crunching particles of glass under his regulation boots as he did so. He took a deep, almost shuddering breath. "Very well, Doctor. Again, please accept my apologies for my behaviour. I'm...not used to being..exposed in this manner. I would like to try again."

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 02:50:51 am »

Tess watched as he sat down and only then moved to resume a seat herself. She looked at him while he spoke, leaving her PADD cast aside, signaling to him that he had her full attention. From the shuddering breath he took and his words she could see that this indeed wasn't easy for him. She wanted to try her best to make him feel more comfortable with this.

"As I already mentioned, I am aware that these appointments are not something people line up outside sickbay for. Many feel uncomfortable with having someone look at them and know every physical flaw and afflictions they might have. It's quite a personal thing." She stated this cautiously, thinking it might be one of the reasons John might feel uncomfortable. "Maybe it helps you if I tell you how I view these kind of appointments. It is true that I know about the things that are not going well with the other's body, but on the other hand it is a good thing to have someone else know about it, isn't it? I find it good to have someone being in the know of these things without having the headache to pick someone yourself to tell about it, plus, I've got the knowledge to help if needed."

She paused as she tried to think of a metaphor that woul be relatable for him. "Perhaps you could see me as your ... covering fire or rear cover. Not in the actual sense, in a real battle I woul be useless." Tess chuckled. "But in the sense we are discussing this, I would just be at your side, unnoticed, and have your back if you need it." She gave him a small smile. "Would that be something you could arrange yourself with?"

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles