Author Topic: A Visit to Romulus  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Visit to Romulus
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 11:05:59 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Healy - Holodeck 1  (Romulus - outside of Ki Baratan - Fire Falls)](January 5th, 2398)

Rayek loved that theirs was a relationship close enough that intimate moments like this, the sharing of an apple, felt natural.   He cut a wedge for himself, chewing on the succulent piece of fruit as she commented on the location and asked how often he would come here.   

"When I was in, what is best considered highschool, by human standards.. Latihk and I would come here quite often.  Especially in my late teen years.  My interests, especially my fascination with Federation humans, were a disappointment to my father when he discovered it.  He and I would argue often after that, I would come here with Latihk to vent and drown my frustrations in Romulan ale, which Latikh could manage to obtain illegally.   If we'd been caught it could have resulted in both of us being denied admittance in to the Imperial War College and we would have instead had to settle for spending our Service time as merely ground forces.. a very ignoble position for a Senator's son but at the time we didn't care."

He cut off another piece of apple intending it for Tess, but seeing her select a lehe'jhme, Rayek ate the slice of apple himself, watching her expression as she tried the sweet and juicy berry-like fruit.   "That's a lehe'jhme. It's often used to make wine.  Its' considered very sweet with lots of fructose that our biology changes to sucrose readily."  In other words the berry was very intoxicating. 

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 08:49:18 am »
Lt. Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Healy - Deck 2 - Holodeck - Romulus - outside Ki Baratan - Fire Falls]

While chewing on the juicy apple, Tess listened to Rayek's story as she leaned against him. She thought she remembered a visual of Latikh she had seen in his mind. She thought about what Rayek told her for a moment. "It seems everything was allowed in the Empire - as long as you didn't get caught." She grinned a little as she glanced up at him, hinting a half joke but she meant the words in quite a serious way. "Do you know if he survived the destruction of your home?", she asked quietly.

With interest and curiosity she listened as Rayek explained about the small berry-like fruit. "Lehe'jhme..?", she tried to repeat and found that it was a particular difficult Romulan word. When he mentioned about the amount of fructose in it Tess already knew what effects it would have on Romulans. She looked back at Rayek, grinning. She still remembered vividly the evening she had seen him intoxicated from almonds. Back then she had not been allowed to enjoy him, but times had changed since then.

"Interesting you brought them along then", she teased him with a grin. Lifting the lehe'jhme to her lips she bit into it. It was very sweet and very tasty, the full fruity flavour filled her mouth. Oh she could see doing all kinds of stuff with that fruit, not just making wine of it.

"Oh, I do like them", she smiled and picked up another one. Holding it out to him, she grinned. "Want a small one?"

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2020, 03:57:49 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell
[USS Healy - Holodeck 1  (Romulus - outside of Ki Baratan - Fire Falls)](January 5th, 2398)

Rayek enjoyed the warmth of Tess' presence leaning against him and laughed at her comment about what was allowed in the Empire.    "Allowed?  Certainly not.   Able to get obtain?  Well, let's just say Latihk's family had connections that made blackmarket items much easier to procure."

Her question about his friends' fate while well meant, brought to mind some rather painful memories and Rayek could only shake his head and hope she didn't press further on the subject.  "Let's not discuss such now, please."  He raised their clasped hand to his lips in a sort of apology.  "Another time, I promise.  I want to enjoy this time with you without such burdens."

When she tried to repeat back the Romulan term, Rayek gently corrected her pronunciation.  Then laughed at her comment on how it was interesting that he'd selected them for their picnic.   "Yes, quite interesting." he grinned back, relaxing once more now that the conversation had moved on to a more pleasant topic.

He smiled at hearing that she liked them. "I'm glad.  I thought you might like them."  Then as anticipated, Tess offered a 'berry'.   Rayek nodded and leaned forward to take the berry from her fingers.  He did so slowly allowing his lips to press over her fingertips enticingly before leaning back and slowly chewing the lehe'jhme

"Pleasant, not quiet as potent as the greek kourabiedes but passable."  A few more however and he'd be needing help to stand, but Rayek didn't intend to allow himself to get that intoxicated.   To help avoid exactly that situation Rayek reached over to the various foods and picked himself out a small flat bread from which he took a bite.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
  • Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 11:31:44 am »
Lt. Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell

Rayek's reply to her question about his friend Latihk told her a lot although he wasn't answering her question. Would he have been killed during the hobus event, he could have told her with few words. The avoidance of the topic hinted at another fate of his friend, one that required explanation Rayek was not willing to give right now.

Tess smiled softly when she felt his lips placing a kiss on their joined hands, asking for understanding. "I won't press on this", she said quietly.

Tess helped herself to another lehe'jhme, repeating the word in her head after Rayek's gentle correction. She loved to learn the language from him. She found Romulan to be a very nice-sounding language, especially when spoken by a native speaker. She hoped she'd be fluent in Romulan some day.

Tess tried a few of the other food Rayek had brought for their picnic while she couldn't help but watch the majestic fire falls' spectacle in front of them.

"So, where are we going to go first?" she asked curiously as she looked back at Rayek, smiling.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 12:26:48 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

That Tess was tolerant of his request to hold off on questioning about Latihk meant a lot.

Rayek happily taught Tess a few more Rihannsu words - mostly the names of the foods they ate.  He had managed to behave himself and refrained from too many of the sweeter fruits during their picnic. 

Then, while Tess quietly watched the amazing beauty that was the Fire Falls, Rayek stretched out more on the picnic blanket and shifted his position so that his head was laid out on Tess' lap.   With a turn of his head this brought him nose to navel with her still flat belly.  He still could scarcely fathom nor contain his joy that within her womb was growing their child.   At only 5 or 6 weeks, the embryo was barely the size of an orange seed, or so the book he had been reading indicated.

Rayek marveled that he had been able to sense it at that very early stage.  He was tempted to do so again now, just to check on it but realized that was rather selfish of him.  This was time for him to focus on Tess, there would be time enough to lavish their child with his fatherly love.   Still Rayek couldn't keep himself from extending his head briefly towards her navel and placing a kiss through her shirt to the belly underneath.

He did this just as she asked where they were going first. 

He turned to look back up at her smiling in return. "Well from here, we would need to go through Ki Baratan to get to either the Lhoell household, or the Senate..  so perhaps the market first?  We can buy some proper Romulan attire for us if you are planning to meet my family."

He said this casually, but in truth he was a little nervous about the whole prospect.   Even if it were just a holodeck simulation.

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 04:04:48 pm »
Lt. Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell

As Tess looked around she soon was distracted when Rayek moved to stretch out on the blanket and lay his head down on her lap. That alone brought a smile to her face and her hand found it's way into his hair. She liked to ruffle and mess it up a little, since usually he wore it straight flat. 

She looked down to him, observing his face with a fond smile. Her finger slowly moved to run along the rim of his pointed ear that was facing upwards. His pointed ears were something she liked to give her attention to, she wasn't really sure what exactly it was that fascinated her about it. She just she was. And she liked to stroke gently along them or kiss them.

Tess' smile widened when Rayek turned his head and places a loving kiss on her clothed belly. The gesture conveyed so many endearing sentiments, it filled her with happiness.

When he then answered her question she wasn't sure but she thought something was changing in him slightly.

"Oh, I would love to go to the market and get some Romulan attire", she smiled excitedly. "And then I'd love to go to the Lhoell house." She couldn't wait to see where and what he had lived like and grown up with.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 02:52:03 am »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

At the feel of her stroking the curve of his ear, Rayek felt wholly at peace.   He was loved, and loved another in return wholeheartedly.   This was bliss. 

Dragging himself away from his place on her lap was not an easy thing, but his wife had indicated her interest in going to the market, thus they would go.   He sat up and facing her placed a kiss on her cute nose before turning about and began clearing away the picnic stuff.   While the scenery and blankets were all holographic the food was not and thus needed to be put away properly.  They could enjoy the leftovers as a snack later.

Soon the food was packed away in the thermal picnic basket.  Also Thrafv's collapsible carry cage was folded down and tucked into the basket for containing the rodent later... for now it was safe enough to let the young Cardassian ferret to explore.  Rayek stood up and then offered a hand towards Tess to assist her up as well.   

He nodded off towards the distance.  "Ki Baratan is about a 10 km walk that direction.  Unfortunately my recall of the entire route was less than perfect so the program will skip to the market after only 100 m  or so."  he commented as he began to lead her towards the distance Romulan capital city.

As forewarned, as they walked past an certain point, the Fire Falls disappeared and the scene was replaced with a stone built city, similar to Roman architectural design.  It both amazed and amused Rayek to think that a culture in Earth's past had an architecture similar to his people.

Ahead of them was a large central area that was set up with vendor booths under tan colored umbrella.  The colorful symphony of wares was in start contrast to the unrelenting sandy browns of the rest of the city.

The market was a bustle of activity and there were guards scattered about to aid in keeping the peace.  As they neared such a pair, Rayek made sure to have his arm holding Tess at her waist rather protectively.   The guards watched them suspiciously as they passed by, but didn't move to stop them.  Rayek had been a little uncertain at the programs background character templates but was relieved that they didn't begin off in hostile mode immediately. 

He gestured to the sea of wares.  "Welcome to the Ki Baratan Market."

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 03:19:38 pm »
[USS Healy - Holodeck 1 - Romulus - Just outside Ki Baratan - Firefalls >>> Ki Baratan - Market]

Tess waited until the foods were packed away, then they started their way to the market. She was both sad and glad that the computer would skip the whole way to the market. While she would have loved to see some of the beautiful Romulan nature, she was even more eager to stroll over the market, so skipping the walk would make her get there sooner.

Then suddenly the market was there ahead of them along with the impressive skyline of the capital city. Tess stared with wide eyes and open mouth, amazed by what she saw. The market was a buzzing place of activity. The colorful wares that were displayed for purchase were a stark contrast to the sandy browns of the city's architecture. Here and there Tess heard some of the vendors advertise their products loudly. She knew the markets of Ba'ku but this was something else completely. It was bigger, louder, more activity overall and there was so much to see. Tess probably would be able to spend the whole day here without getting bored.

She felt Rayek slipping his arm around her waist which made her look up at him with a smile. That faltered slightly when she noticed where Rayek was glancing at and then she too noticed the pair of Romulan guards who eyed them suspiciously. Tess turned her head away and as they walked on she had a feeling that the guards might follow them. Taking in a deep breath, she thought it was best to just look confident which she hoped would tell them that she thought it was normal for her to be here.

"Everything looks so beautiful and interesting", she admitted to Rayek with a wide smile. As she looked around, she paid attentention to what Romulan women of her age were wearing so Tess most likely would be picking something similar. She really liked the almost medieval looking fashion of the Romulans. She stopped at a stand of a Romulan who sold everyday wear. Making eye contact with the man, Tess inclined her head slightly. "Jolan-tru, rekkhai (*sir)." She hesitated then and looked to Rayek. "Is it okay for me to look through the wares on my own?"

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 03:28:35 am »
[USS Healy - Holodeck 1 (Romulus - Ki Baratan Market)](January 5th, 2398)

Rayek watched Tess' reaction and was pleased she seemed so taken at the very busy market.   He recalled as child being awe-struck at the bustling activity of the place. 

When she asked if she could shop on her own, Rayek was puzzled a moment until he realized that likely wanted to get him something.  He glanced towards the market vendor giving the man a narrow-eyed warning look, before looking back to Tess and nodding.  "Certainly, e'lev."  He pulled from his jacket pocket a pouch of coin which he handed over to her.   He leaned in to whisper at her ear.  "The vendors here expect to haggle, but it isn't like anything you may have experienced before.  As odd as it might sound, please up bid his price by twice the amount and allow him to haggle you down a bit but not more than a quarter" 

This was actually something Rayek had had to correct in the program.  Most vendor templates had haggling based on a value premise with vendors trying to raise the price and buyers attempting to lower it to save some money; however in the Empire price was based more on honor and status.  Vendors would state the cost value and buyers would offer an amount that maintains the social honor and status of the Clan.   Vendors would haggle down in an attempt to show respect to the buyer, and buyers would try to keep the price up to reflect their status, affluence and power.  The price would end up somewhere in between.

Having forewarned her, Rayek moved on a bit, but was careful to be alert for any sign of threat to Tess.  Safeties on the holodeck were ON of course, but Rayek would be a fool to rely on that.

The guards continued to watch both him and Tess.  The guards hesitated a moment when Tess and he split up, but after a brief moment of uncertainty, one stayed back to watch Tess while the other, Rayek noted, approached him.

Having moved a few stalls away to give Tess her 'privacy' to shop, Rayek stopped and waited for the guard.  "Shaoi ben, uhlan"  Rayek made sure to use the superior-to-inferior greeting though he consciously refrained from the usual derision that might have colored his tone in the past when stating the man's rank.   "What can I do for you?" he asked in Federation Standard.   Testing to see if the standard holodeck template would apply the universal translator and merely reply back in Romulan, switch to Standard or if the guard would heighten his alertness.

Back at clothing stall, the man had gotten Rayek's warning loud and clear.  He returned Tess' head nod with one of his own.  "Aefvadh! Aeek'h'i payr hveolhaonn arrie iudaiht hwiiy shad elet?" (*Welcome.  What can I show to you today?)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:32:23 am by Rayek trLhoell »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 04:00:34 pm »
[USS Healy - Holodeck 1 (Romulus - Ki Baratan Market)]

Tess took the pouch of coin from Rayek, smiling up at him. "Thank you. I won't take long, I promise." Leaning in closer when he did, she listened to what he told her. So the Romulans haggled. That definitely sounded like a thing they did. Also that they tried to get the better of strangers.

She watched Rayek leave and then turned to the vendor who welcomed her. "Jolan-tru", she said, smiling. "I am looking for a gift for my husband", she explained, her blue eyes wandering over the many quite nice looking traditional garments. Pretty much all of the wear she saw was in earthy tones, browns in almost every shade and muddy greens. "Could you show me some of your wares, please?" She thought asking for recommendations was the better thing to do. She was so excited about the whole thing that she didn't even notice the guard who was observing her.

The guard who approached Rayek gave him a wary look as he did, his hand seemingly casually resting on the disruptor that was holstered at his belt.

At Rayek's salutation the guard merely bowed his head in acknowledgement. He was reluctant to return the proper salutation and with that acknowledge the man's superior rank when belonging to another fleet and not the Romulan Army.

"Aeek'h'i 'hh ieiuqh iuyih iudaiht here hrrau'khir? (*What is your business here?)", the guard demanded to know, the disdain Rayek had been trying to avoid showing in his voice was showing more in the Romulan guard's voice. A Romulan in a Starfleet uniform was a provocation.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 04:50:10 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

Despite the oddity of selling to a human, it was in the vendor's programming to be welcoming to all customers.  The Romulan vendor smiled at Tess' statement of looking to buy something for her husband.

"Why certainly, I can!" he answered as he glanced towards display of finest fabrics.  "Was that him in the Federation uniform? I can see why you might want to find him something better to wear.  Are you looking for something casual or more formal?"

The man moved along his racks and pulled out a set of robes.  "We have this for someone of notable social standing."

"It is made with some of the finest khellid silk." He added, trying to sell one of his more expensive items, even though from the look of the woman and her own more casual attire he wasn't likely to make the sale.

"But if you want something to better suit your own outfit, we do have this... "  he moved to another rack and pull out something much less aristocratic.  The fabric was coarse and the cut of the fabric barely even.  This was more for lower castes.

The Romulan guard continued to watch from a discreet distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few stalls away, Rayek was surprised by the man's distain until he caught the man's eyes looking his over attire and lingering at the pips at his neck.  Oh fvadt!  Hours of planning and programming and he does a novice mistake like forgetting to dress to match the program.  Well, this was an easy enough fix.  He could just call for the Arch and edit the program to ignore the Starfleet uniform.

But even as he thought of doing that, Rayek realized this was an opportunity to see if he still had his knack for subterfuge and misdirection.  Admittedly, it would be harder as normally Rayek would have used his ability to read his adversary's motivations and then cater to them. That option would not be possible with a hologram.

Rayek offered a slight smirk.  "Quite realistic is it not?" he questioned amiably rather than showing offense at the disdain.  "I am headed to a meeting with the Tal'Shiar Vice-Chairman along with my companion to discuss an upcoming mission among the Feds.  That is unless you plan to delay me with further interrogation?  Should I call the Vice-Chairman's office and have her explain my attire to you? I'm sure she's not really that busy."

He was taking a bit of a risk bringing up the Vice-Chairman, since the guard could indeed ask for confirmation of his answer and he had no clue what Romulan template version might be used for such a background character since he had not specifically programmed in Vakis' character and personality.  He had also not programmed in any such backstory for their being on planet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:52:20 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2020, 06:34:34 am »

[USS Healy - Holodeck 1 - Ki Baratan - Market]

Tess smiled when the vendor was friendly to her. She didn't know what she had expected. Apparently she was still slightly wary of Romulans, just as she had been of Rayek at the very beginning.

"Yes, he is my husband", she admitted without hesitation and then watched as the man went through the racks. The items he showed her seemed to represent both ends of Romulan society - a very expensive looking robe that seemed to be worn at formal events. The other was a costume that seemed to be of rather bad workmanship with the uneven cut of the piece. Tess was a little irritated when the vendor stated that thing would match her own attire. She didn't agree. Then she thought the man might have shown her the cheapest poorly manufactured item to make her go for the overly high end robe.

Tess smiled kindly. "Oh, the first one you showed me is to my liking. Though I am looking for something less formal - but still suited for someone coming from a honorable family." Tess refrained from mentioning that Rayek indeed was the Proconsul's son. She wasn't sure what he had programmed and how the characters might react to that. All the more so since Rayek currently was wearing a Starfleet uniform.

"And I would like some traditional clothing for myself as well", she added, curious what the vendor would show her.

The guard eyed Rayek skeptical and slightly annoyed at first when the Romulan in the Feds uniform smirked at him. The mentioning of the Tal'Shiar vice-chairman gave him pause. If that was a lie it was a bold one and not everyone would dare something like that.

There was a moment in which the guard seemed to debate with himself if he should believe that statement or not. In the end he figured he'd be better off having to do some more work in keeping an eye on the suspect man than incurring the vice-chairman's wrath. Which most likely would mean an abrupt end to his career.

"No ...", the guard finally stated, if somewhat reluctantly. "No need to." There was a pause in which he briefly glanced towards Tess. "So, she is your companion?" He had seen how they were walking with his arm wrapped around her waist. "It is obvious she is not from Romulus. Where does she come from? One of the subject worlds of our glorious Empire?" Apparently he thought Tess was a sort of 'mistress' for Rayek.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2020, 10:10:46 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

The vendor smiled when Tess preferred the higher quality robes.. but at the mention of less formal he nodded.  "I have just the outfit.  It is a rather new style. Very crisp. Yet informal."  He searched about his racks for a moment then pulled out a two piece dark brown outfit.  The overshirt was long and would definitely hang past Rayek's waist to almost mid-thigh but the vendor explained that was the fashion.

"And I have a wonderful dress for you that would be the perfect match"

Rayek kept up his relaxed and amiable smile while he waited on the guard to decide.  When the man said no - that he didn't need to call on the Vice-Chairman, Rayek knew his bluff had worked, but Rayek gave a shrug as if it didn't matter to him one way or the other.  He made to offer a slight parting nod to the guard, figuring he might move on now, but the guard's attention had turned to Tess.  This gave Rayek pause.  He also noted the other guard was still watching Tess as well.  He frowned slightly.

The frown didn't lift when the guard looked back to him.  Rayek wanted it made plain that Tess was off-limits.  He shook his head guard's questioning of where she was from.  He made his answer a bit condescending, to once more put the guard in his place.  "I sincerely doubt it is a world you would have heard of at your rank and caste.  But since you insist on delaying me with questions.. she is from an independent planet far outside of the Empire, on the fringes of the known Federation, called Ba'ku.  Our paths crossed while I was away in the Gamma Quadrant" he answered truthfully though what he chose to say was selective and would give an impression of someone still quite loyal to the Empire.

He could just leave it at that - he'd answered the man's question but Rayek being newly wedded was both protective of Tess - knowing that there would be less trouble for her if the local guards knew that she was for lack of a better word, claimed -  and a bit prideful of her accepting of him.  He wanted to boldly tell, not just the guard but all that this most amazing of women had chosen him.  "For far too long I couldn't see what she offered then suddenly I did and it was as the saying goes 'Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu'  and I had to make her mine!  She is more than just a companion. She is my wife."   (*but Love is unreasoning)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:12:09 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

Offline Tess tLhoell

• Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 09:54:31 am »
Lt. Cmdr. Tess t'Lhoell
[USS Healy - Holodeck 1 - Ki Baratan - Market]

As soon as the vendor showed her the outfit for Rayek, Tess loved it. The cut of it was awesome, it would so much show off Rayek's sexy shape and look elegant at the same time. It just would look so good on him. "This is fantastic", Tess smiled at the man, reaching her hand out to carefully feel for the fabric.

Her attention then was drawn to the gown the vendor picked for her to wear - and Tess was almost not able to contain her excitement. It looked beautiful to her. It probably seemed a bit strange to the Romulan that someone could get excited about clothes, but for Tess it just meant much more. It meant learning and experiencing Rayek's culture, become a part of it.

"This is gorgeous", she breathed. She reached her hand out for this gown too. The fabric was light but would feel cool on her skin.
Pulling the small pouch of coins out Rayek had given her she looked to the vendor. "How much do you want for both outfits?" Admittedly, she had only a vague idea of Romulan currency. But Rayek forewarned her not to expect the typical way of haggling, but that she would be the one to offer a higher price than the vendor. So she was prepared for that.

Rayek's words to the guard made it clear that the man became tired of his questioning. The truth was, the guard still had slight doubts about Rayek. But it very well could be possible that the man just had the nerve to wander about the city wearing a Federation uniform. Though the guard didn't want to risk having his career ending because of something like this.

He really never heard of Ba'ku, but the added information that the stranger woman was this man's wife was telling enough. The man didn't appreciate her being subject of suspicion or something else.

"Forgive my bold question, rekkhai. I will leave you to your appointment." The guard bowed before Rayek, slightly deeper than what had been considered sufficient before turning around and taking a few steps away, but still close enough that he could have an eye on Rayek and the stranger woman if he wanted to.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 04:51:59 pm »
Cmdr. Rayek tr'Lhoell

The vendor seemed to hesitate a moment.  He was familiar with Romulan haggling, but had heard rumor from others who traded with alien cultures that their method of haggling was disrespectful to the vendor.   The woman obviously was not Romulan but she wore a marriage bracelet and had been in the company of one earlier... her husband, he surmised.  He was taking a risk and could possibly lose money on this haggle if he made his first bid wrong but his mnhei'sahe wouldn't allow him to start the bid high intentionally without just cause.

"Both outfits are hand-made and are of fine quality. At cost, I would value them together as 60 arrh'haudr." the vendor stated.  Then waited to see if the woman would offer more as was typical for a Romulan haggle, or if she would show ignorance of Romulan custom.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Rayek returned the guard's slight respectful bow, and watched the guard move off a short ways obviously still intending to keep an eye on him; but that was okay.   A glance down along the stalls showed that Tess was still in conversation with the vendor, so Rayek turned his attention to products nearest him.  There were so many things among the vendor stalls that it was a bit overwhelming, even for him.  He'd been away from such crowds for years now.  Food, to clothes, to jewelry to toys... the market had everything any respectable Romulan could possibly want.

While it felt odd for Rayek to have Tess pick out something for him, the Romulan appreciated her desire to do so.   He knew how much joy it gave him to find ways to surprise Tess with gifts that were unexpected.  It was only reasonable that she might want to do the same for him.

Though he hadn't intended on purchasing anything, when he spotted the familiar wooden cubes - a favorite game as a youth, Rayek knew he had to buy a set.  Not only would he surprise Tess here but also later when they returned back to their quarters - for he had programmed as part of the holodeck that anything purchased other than food would be saved as a replicator order on their quarter's replicator.   Rayek was looking forward to teaching Tess the dice game.

Rayek haggled the price quickly, hoping to finish up the transaction before Tess returned.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles