One Ring to Bind Them (Tess/ Rayek). - COMPLETE

Started by Rayek trLhoell, August 14, 2019, 05:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Executive Officers private quarters (shared with Tess) (prior to S1E9)

A week had passed since his impromptu proposal to Tess and during that time Rayek had felt the pressure build to get her official engagement ring made.   He knew exactly what he wanted and how he wanted it done. Rayek just lacked the skilled tradesman on Katra Station to fashion it.  So the first day afterwards, Rayek checked at Deep Space Nine.  Thankfully his first call to the Starbase Directory at DS9 was able to help put him in touch with a proper jeweler.

Unfortunately, this jeweler was, to his great annoyance, Vulcan.   Rayek couldn't seem to get away from their presence - they were everywhere!  Rayek had searched the Directory repeatedly and this Vulcan, Sultan, was the only one whose workmanship was good enough for Rayek's needs.  The Romulan had to smirk at either the ignorance of the man's parents or their slight nod to human culture at the naming of their son.

With little choice Rayek contacted the jeweler and told the man of his request.  He wanted a silver ring with a Romulan glass gemstone matching in quality and design to the heirloom necklace.  He sent a picture of the piece along with the communication.

The response back was rather disheartening.  He was told that because of the rarity and quality the piece, not to mention the current instability within the Romulan government - getting legally obtained materials such as the glass and correctly smelted silver to match the original would be prohibitively pricey and that Sultan refused to work with black market materials, even if they could be found.

For the rest of that afternoon Rayek, thought his plans were ruined.  Then he had an idea.  He contacted Sultan back to discuss the possibility of taking the needed materials from the necklace itself.   The Vulcan was silent a long time as he considered the steps required to do as the Romulan was suggesting.  "You are aware there is a 3.95% chance that in the cutting of the gemstone - especially one of that age - that it could be irreparably damaged? And that that value of the artifact will diminish with it's alteration?"

"The piece will always be a reminder of my homeworld regardless of how others value it.  While I have no desire to damage it, if I can share that piece of home with my betrothed - then it is worth the risk of breaking it.  Will you try?" Rayek asked outright.

There was a brief pause. "Send the necklace to me on the next transport and I will work on it and have it back to you within a months time" Sultan answered

Rayek frowned. That was too long - Tess would certainly notice question it's absence over that long a time.  As it was since he'd proposed he'd noted her wearing it constantly.  Under her uniform shirt - much like he had.  In the shower.  Even in sleep she wore it.  For it to be gone over a month he would need to tell her his plan.  And that was something he didn't want to tell her.  One: it would ruin the surprise. And Two: if she learned ahead that he was risking damaging the necklace he worried that she would forbid him from attempting it.  So it was best she not find out.

Rayek considered his options.

"What would it take to convince you to come to Katra Station to work solely on this one request until complete? No distractions."
Now it was just over a week later, Sultan's transport was expected to arrive later that night.  So all Rayek had to do was get his hands on the necklace and pass that off to Sultan so that he could obtain the material sample he needed to work on the ring all before Tess noticed it was gone.

As if summoned by his thoughts, Rayek heard Tess moving about in the other room.  He had stated his intention to go to bed five minutes ago and was still waiting on her to join him.

"Sahe'lagge, are you coming to bed soon?"

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Executive Officers private quarters (shared with Rayek)] (prior to S1E9)

Usually Rayek was the one who dealt with work a little bit, even in the evening hours. Usually it was Tess waiting for her fiancé - yes! she still couldn't believe it - to join her bed. Now, out of whatever reason, Rayek was in bed earlier than her while Tess had been reading through something. It had been an essay of a Denobulan doctor about an affliction she came across that very morning - something that made her puzzle and she couldn't have that.

She just got up from the comfy sofa to move over to the bedroom, disposing the glass she had been sipping her wine from and folding the blanket to put it back neatly on the sofa, she heard Rayek call for her - using one of the terms of endearment in Romulan, something she loved to hear.

"Coming!", she called back, smiling. Taking her PADD with her she moved over to the bedroom, smiling when she found him in bed already. "Sorry, I was so caught up in that article", she said as she sat down on the edge of the bed, took off the warm socks and then slid under the duvet to him. She gave him a kiss. "Tired early today?", she asked, smiling fondly at him.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Executive Officers private quarters (shared with Tess)] (prior to S1E9)

Tess' response, prompted a smile.  Rayek sat up waiting half under the bed covers until she entered the room and sat on the edge of the bed to take off her socks.  When she slid under the duvet, so did he and called for the computer dim the lights.  Rayek pulled her closer to him at her kiss.

Her question wasn't answered immediately his lips traveling from her lips to her earlobe which he nibbled on for a bit.  "Not especially, but I do have to be up in the middle of the night to meet with a visiting craftsman, so an early rest seemed appropriate." he murmured before returning to his delightful task.

His attentions continued on for quite some time before his lips traveled to her neck where he paused.  "I'm glad to see you always wearing the necklace... though I must admit I miss it's presence myself."

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Tess Moreno
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Executive Officers private quarters (shared with Rayek)] (prior to S1E9)

Tess smiled when he pulled her close and she wrapped her arms around his neck to let her fingers slide into his hair. She waited for an answer but instead Rayek moved his lips from hers across her cheek to her earlobe which elicited a soft chuckle from her. "Rayek?", she said softly and then finally he answered her though without moving his lips much from the spot at his ear which made his voice sounding so close and low. His words though gave her pause.

"You meet a craftsman? In the middle of the night??" The confusion was audible in her voice. She would have pulled back from the embrace to see his face but he just returned to nibble at her earlobe ... which admittedly ... felt really nice.

Again, he didn't reply immediately but instead kept on his ministrations at her ear. It was only when he moved his lips to her neck that he spoke again. But not to clarify his strange statement from before but to comment on her necklace he had given to her when he had proposed to her.

That made her look down at it. "Oh." She smiled and lifted her hand to touch the ancient pendant. His mentioning that he missed wearing it made the smile vanish a little bit as she looked into his eyes. Not because she didn't want to give it back to him, but because she didn't want to keep his necklace from him any longer. "Really? Well ... Then you take it back." She smiled and lifted her hands to feel for the closure of the necklace.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Executive Officers private quarters (shared with Tess)] (prior to S1E9)

Rayek had heard the confusion in Tess' tone as she questioned his plans to meet a craftsman that late at night.  He since he didn't have any sort of good response to her answer with that wasn't a lie, he said nothing at all until he commented on the necklace.

That she offered it up, to him readily enough surprised him.

"You are sure?  It obviously means much to you as well."  Though it might seem counter-productive to question the action that he had been hoping for.  To not question her certainty, might have been a bit suspicious, since it would be not in his personality to take back something he'd gifted.

When she raised her hands to unclasp it, Rayek reached out to stop her.  "Allow me." he said huskily leaning in once more towards her ear, as his arms encircled her and his hands felt along her neck for the clasp.

Rayek drew out the process for several long moments while he whispered his gratitude to her, in Romulan, at her ear.  Finally, with deft fingers, he undid the clasp and slowly drew forth the necklace.  Placing the heirloom piece in Tess' hands, Rayek half turned to present his back toward her dipping his head to the side to give her easier access to reclasp the necklace on him.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Tess Moreno

When he asked if she was sure she wanted to give it back to him, Tess looked at him fondly. "Of course. It does mean a lot to me, really a lot, but I know that it does even more to you. This is a piece of your home and I don't want you to miss it if I can prevent that." She smiled lovingly at him before she reached up to take the necklace off, but was stopped by Rayek.

When he indicated he wanted to take it off, Tess smiled and lowered her arms to let him do it. His closeness, the light touches as he felt for the chain along her neck and the words he spoke quietly into her ear in Romulan made her having butterflies in her stomach. She couldn't even explain why she found it so sexy to hear him speaking Romulan, but that's how it was.

Finally he undid it and put the heirloom in her hands. Then she saw him turning his back to her and tilting his head to the side to expose his neck. Tease. But Tess complied more than happily. Leaning forward she reached her hands - necklace in hand - around him to put it around his neck. Delicate fingers closed the clasp in a moment and it was back around his neck. Tess leaned forward, wrapping her arms around her fiance in an intimate hug and placed a soft kiss on the side of his neck.

"Back where it belongs", she said softly with a smile. "I'm just as happy to see it around your neck and I still will always be reminded of your proposal to me", she smiled.

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell

Rayek could hardly believe how easy that had been!  As he felt the necklace's weight settle against his bare chest.  The metal was still warm from being against Tess' skin.  A pleasant thought, that.  Add in the many cherished, intimate gestures and words they'd shared while passing the necklace between them. Yeah, this had been much better plan than attempting to slip it off her neck while she slept, he mused silently as he felt her lean forward, her arms wrapping about him, as she brushed a kiss against the side of his exposed neck. Yep, it was a lure she couldn't resist. Which is why he used it.

The feel of her kiss lingered on his neck, causing a delightful shiver.  The desire to spend the  rest of the night making love to her was quite strong.  He'd rather that than needing to slip away in the middle of the night to meet with a Vulcan.  But that wouldn't get the ring he needed done completed any faster, so for tonight he'd have to curb his appetite for Tess and her flawless body somewhat and allow her to drift off early so that he could get the necklace to the Vulcan jeweler, who arriving in 3 hours time.

Without breaking the circle of her embrace, Rayek turned about in her arms and pulled her close to him.  "Thank you, e'lev.  It means a lot to me that you would do this and I promise, I will replace it with a proper ring."

His lips then sought hers in a deeply loving kiss.

[Three hours later... ]
Rayek hated having to leave the warmth of her body, as it lay curled up beside him, but he had an appointment to make and no time to dally.  He slipped out from under the bedsheets and gathered up his clothes pausing to brush a light kiss upon her forehead before leaving the bedroom quietly.  The Romulan dressed quickly in the main room before checking one last time that he still had the necklace on and he was good to go meet with the Vulcan.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Tess Moreno

Tess watched Rayek turning in her arms before he pulled her closer to him. She complied happily, snuggled against his chest with a smile, her arm moving away from his neck to wrap around his waist. She listened to his thanks and his promise to get her a proper ring, which made her smile. "Hann'yyo, praevus", she said softly, grinning at herself for speaking Romulan. She had started to learn the language, which naturally came easy to her. By now she had already picked up the simplest of phrases.

Tess stayed like this, snuggled up at Rayek, as entangled with him as it still would be comfotable and it indeed didn't take long for her to fall asleep.

[Three hours later ...]

Tess had not the deepest sleep. While she still was sleeping when Rayek cautiously got out of the bed and gathered his clothes, the soft brush of his lips on her forehead made her stir, but not moving yet. She just became aware of noises and light. There was no light, but subtle noises, rustling.

As her sleepy mind still was trying to process what was going on, the next thing she heard were footsteps coming from the other room. It was then that she blinked her eyes open. The doors to the other room were open and from where she lay on the bed she couldn't see the complete room. But she saw Rayek moving about and then leave.

Of course, he had told her that he was meeting with a craftsman. But her question as to why not. The foggy sleepiness vanished somewhat as she glanced at the clock on the bedside table. 2.17 am. The thought occured to her that he might want to have a ring made for her. But why would he do that in the middle of the night?

Tess sat up, uncertain if she should stay here or not. But surely he wouldn't appreciate sneaking after him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hann'yyo - thank you
praevus - handsome

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra station - Sauce 3 Customs]

Belatedly Rayek realized he should have checked with Ops on the ship's ETA, but he hadn't and only discovered it was running nearly an hour late once he arrived at Customs.   He could have spent that additional time laying in bed with Tess.  And for a brief moment he considered leaving to do exactly that until it's arrival... but doing so would risk waking Tess and drawing her curiosity about his activity.  No, best for him to just wait it out down here.

The Romulan ordered himself a chai tea from a nearby replicator and set himself up to wait.  While waiting he checked once again on the arrangements he'd made for the jeweler.  Private quarters and months 'rent' of a commercial space on the promenade wherein he could advertise his work on DS9 here and pick up a few other commissions but with the understanding that the ring would be done first.

[45 minutes later...]
Rayek slowly paced the Customs floor while he waited for the first of the passengers from the Alpha Quadrant passenger ship to arrive along the umbilical.  Finally, the first footfalls could be heard and there was a brief rush of adrenaline as Rayek spotted the Vulcan easily following behind a family of Bajorans.

The Romulan found it difficult not to simply wave the Vulcan through Customs so that they could get to their business, but he didn't; tempting though the idea was.  Once the jeweler and his equipment were cleared through Security, Rayek approached and introduced himself.

"Jolan'tru Sultan, I am Commander Rayek tr'Lhoell. Thank you for journeying here to Katra station and accepting my commission of work.  Are you weary from your journey? If so I can take you to your quarters so that you may take rest. The environmental controls have been set to Vulcan norm for your comfort.  If however you are rested, I have the necklace presently and can take you to your commercial workspace where you can look it over."

Rayek was really hoping the Vulcan would choose the workspace... even going so far with his words and subtle tone to imply that the Vulcan might be inferior to him should he be in need of a rest.

The jeweler regarded the Starfleet Commander expressionlessly.  The impatience of the Romulan was very evident and the Vulcan considered requesting being taken to his assigned quarters just to teach the Commander the value of forbearance.  However as much as a room set at a proper temperature was a strong consideration, being able to actually inspect the heirloom piece he would be working with was of more interest.

"Take me to my workspace, I would see the piece." Sultan answered calmly.

Rayek nodded his acknowledgement.  "Follow me." He led the way towards the promenade.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Tess Moreno

For now Tess decided to wait. Whatever it was he had to do in the middle of the night with a craftsman - it still sounded so weird and almost suspicious - it surely wouldn't take that long. Or so she thought.

The minutes dragged. What kept Tess from simply going back to sleep was her nagging curiosity. What was it Rayek was doing?, she kept asking herself over and over again. Why was he so secretive? She sat in bed, chewing on her lower lip as she tried to work out the answers to her questions in her head. The following minutes she went through different emotional stages - annyance, concern, anger, resignation and curiosity striking back.
Glancing at the time she noticed that an hour had passed - and Rayek still wasn't back. What the heck was he doing?? Fiddling with the bedsheets she thought about what she could do without appearing to be like the sneaky fiance.

But she couldn't help it.

"Computer", she spoke quietly into the silence and darkness. The computer bleeped readily. "Locate Commander tr'Lhoell."

"Commander tr'Lhoell is on the promenade, Deck 15."

Tess frowned. On one hand, where else would he be with a craftsman? But as she sat there alone in bed in the darkness, she couldn't help from other thoughts creeping into her mind, thoughts about all the other options that were available for anyone to enjoy oneself.

Shut up, Tess chastied herself as she lay back down and pulled the duvet up to her chin, trying to get comfortable without Rayek's body to snuggle up to. It was strange how much she got used to that already.

While she lay there trying to ignore her longing for his presence she closed her eyes and tried to sleep. Subconsciously she would listen for any indications that he came back.

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck 15 - Promenade - Vacant shop]

The two men arrived at the vacant workspace which opened to Rayek's authorization and after a brief moment to enter in Sultan's own details and a passcode the jeweler set, would open to the Vulcan's hereafter.  The space - despite being vacant - did have some furnishings.. a work bench most notably.   It was to this that Sultan headed to immediately, grabbing up a nearby stool and then held out a hand towards Rayek.  "I will see the necklace now."

Rayek nodded and opened the collar of his uniform jacket to retrieve the necklace, pulling it up over his head to hand to the Vulcan.   If Sultan thought it odd that such a priceless artifact would be worn instead of kept in a vault or on display, he made not comment of it.  The Vulcan looked it over silently for several minutes, turning it this way and that in his hands.  Rayek tried to wait patiently. But after 10 minutes, he couldn't stop himself from clearing his throat to gain the Vulcan's attention.  "Can it be done?"

The jeweler looked up from the artifact to regard Romulan.  "Yes.  It can be done.  I would advise against it.  This original piece is far more valuable intact than it would ever be split into two." the Vulcan spoke offering up his professional opinion.

Rayek regarded the Vulcan jeweler.

"I misspoke. What I meant to ask.. is when can you begin?"

"Immediately, since you are certain. However as I understand it you are attempting to keep my work on the necklace from your intended, correct?"

Rayek nodded.  "That is correct.  If at all possible.  I was hoping the backside of the necklace's stone could cut just enough to provide the stone for the ring."

Sultan nodded.  "Very well.  It won't happen this night, I will need set up my equipment first."

Rayek was disappointed but strove to not show that to the Vulcan.  "I will make arrangements to have the equipment delivered here.  When should I return with the necklace and how long will you need it for to cut what you need?" He asked so that he could make arrangements.

Sultan considered.  "Give me a day to set up... You can bring me the necklace the next morning.  Cutting the portion needed from the backside of the stone should only take about an hour.  But before I cut.. so that I don't need to keep referencing your original ... I will do an intensive holoscan of the piece - that will take up to another hour.  So 2 hours.. in two days time." The Vulcan summed up.

Rayek nodded. "I will bring it to you then.  But for now, I will take you to your quarters so that you can rest."

After seeing Sultan to his quarters, and then ensuring that his equipment was offloaded from the vessel and ready to be taken to his workshop tomorrow morning, Rayek finally headed back to his own quarters about an hour later.

[Executive Officer's private quarters (shared with Tess)]
He stifled a yawn as he quietly undressed and padded towards the bed in the dark.  He lifted the bedsheet covers ever so slightly so as not to disturb Tess, who looked so peaceful in sleep and slid into his spot close beside her.  Though he didn't wish to wake her, he needed to hold her in his arms to fall asleep, or he would just remain half awake for what remained of the rest of the night.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Tess Moreno

There was no way Tess could have fallen asleep again. Not when those nagging questions looped in her head. She had her eyes closed however in attempt to sleep but wasn't successful. Every now and then she would open her eyes when she heard a noise that might indicate for Rayek coming back or just to check the time.

It was about an hour later when she finally heard the doors sliding open to their quarters. She lay with the back to the door to their bed chamber since Rayek always wanted to sleep so he could face the door when they lay snuggled up at each other.
She listened for any noises but other than his familiar foot steps and the rustling of clothes as he undressed she didn't hear anything suspicious.

She didn't even know why she was pretending to sleep. Was she? Rayek in any case seemed to assume she was sleeping. So she glanced from under her eyelids as he slid under the duvet and couldn't help but grin in happiness when he moved to hold her in his arms. Giving away she was awake she shifted a little so she rest her head on his shoulder and wrap her arm contently around him.

"You've been gone for a long while", she murmured into the silece.

Rayek trLhoell

Cmdr Rayek tr'Lhoell
[Katra Station - Deck Two - Executive Officers private quarters (shared with Tess)](prior to S1E9)

As his arms wrapped about her, Rayek realized that Tess for all her silence and stillness was awake.  This was confirmed a moment later when she adjusted her position more comfortably in his arms, resting her head on his shoulder.  Rayek smiled in contentment.

Her murmured voice drifted to him in the darkness.

"Yes. The ship was delayed.  I didn't expect to be away so long. I'm sorry that my absence kept you awake."  The Romulan had hoped that he could slip away while Tess slept and be back before she woke.  But that didn't happen.  She was awake and no doubt curious of his activities.

"I'm here now.  Rest.  Its been a long day.  I will be here come morning." he assured, as he tried to deflect her unasked questions and prompt for sleep.  He lifted one hand from his embrace and stroked it gently along her flowing hair in an attempt to lure her back to sleep.

Tess tLhoell

Lt. Tess Moreno

The desire to just give in to his prompt for sleep was tempting, the gentle touch of his hand stroking her hair making it that all the more. But the questions in her head were louder.

Tess pulled her head back a little to lift it up and look at Rayek. She couldn't see much in the darkness but still make out his face. "So who is that craftsman?", she asked. "Is it someone you know?"

Rayek trLhoell

At her question his hand stalled momentarily.  He wet his lips a moment before answering, his hand still stroking along her hair soothingly

"The craftsman is a Vulcan named Sultan.  He's been privately hired to work on a commission locally and is looking into setting up shop while on the station."  Rayek answered Tess neutrally, wishing she would drop the questions. He kept his voice quiet hoping to lull her back to sleep.

"I don't know him overly well.  I've only spoken to him once or twice promoting the station as a commercial location for a new business.  He seems... tolerable ... for a Vulcan."  Rayek offer Tess a slight joking smile before leaning in to kiss her.  "Good night, e'lev." he whispered hoping that would end the conversation allowing them both to get some much needed sleep. 

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.