Practice makes perfect (Niles McCulloch / NPC Cathy Daniels)

Started by Rayek trLhoell, January 13, 2020, 02:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayek trLhoell

Sec/Tac Recruit Purrrcy M'rr'mm
[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy - Holodeck 1 - Defiant Class Simulation- USS Renegade]

Quote from: Julia Rellek on May 01, 2020, 02:09:33 AM

[Holodeck 1 - Defiant Class Simulation]

As her mind drifted a distinct beep emitted from the console attached to the chair and with that beep she was brought back into the present.

"We've got an incoming transmission.." She said as she pressed the control to play the message.

"...hear me?... This is.... Federation transport... anyone? We're... attack... I repeat... under... shelter in... Nebula... i don't know... longer... Breen.."

The transmission was heavily distorted and Julia struggled to make out most of it but she heard enough to know that they needed to find them. Julia distinctly heard an explosion in the background. She leaned forward to the edge of her chair. "Moreno, can you get them back? She mentioned a nebula... could be interference." Julia added hurriedly. Turning to Niles. "We've got to find them. Recruit McCulloch, see if you can isolate the location of the vessel?

Julia leaned further back into her chair and raised her hand under her chin. "Yellow alert. Scan for Breen vessels." She glanced to the Caitian at tactical. Julia knew Breen ships were notoriously hard to find when they didn't want to be found. The teams best bet was to locate the vessel as they'd be far easier to track than the Breen.

The Admiral's order to bring the ship to yellow alert was instantly actioned by Purrrcy.
He brought power to the deflector shields ensuring they were up at 100%.

"Shields have been energized and are holding at full power." the Caitian announced.  The temptation was to bring the weapons online especially at the mention of the Breen, but the Admiral had called for Yellow and weapons remained off-line at yellow.

Suddenly, a message popped up on his screen from the science station.  It noted intel on the  main style of Breen warship.  Purrrcy didn't know whether to be annoyed with the Orion who just assumed he didn't know his warship data from class or appreciative for the thoughtful reminder.  He chose to believe it was meant to be thoughtful rather than insulting and gave the Orion an up-nod of thanks.

He closed the screen and returned to his own scanning.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on May 01, 2020, 04:49:54 PM

NPC - Cadet Benjin Moreno
[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy - Holodeck 1]

"Yes, Ma'am", Benjin replied crisply and focused his gaze on the Ops section of his console.

He tried to hail the people who had sent the transmission they had just heard. But it seemed they had no luck. The computer continued to give out negative hailing attempts.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am, I tried it on all frequencies, but nothing. The interferences might be too heavy." He shook his head to himself as he was saying that, his eyes still on the console in front of him.

"I will continue to try", he informed her.

[Holodeck One]

"Thank you. Keep trying. Maybe you can get through." She added with a slight hint of encouragement in her voice.

Quote from: Niles McCulloch

"Admiral, Relleck." Niles said with confidence, as the first pictures came on the main view screen,"The Picture to the upper left is a unnamed nebular formation at 220o, to Starboard of our present course." , he continued, as turned his to face the Admiral, adding, "The picture to right is a closeup, of the darker brownish cloud to the center, and the bottom picture is a closer view of the white area in that picture's lower left section. That's where the signal came from."

"Very well done recruit. Transfer the coordinates to helm." Julia ordered. "Helm set course and engage. How far out are we?" Julia was genuinely surprised Niles managed to locate the signal with such ease. Something like that could be challenging for seasoned officers. Maybe they'll pull this off. She thought to herself.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Niles James McCulloch

Holo-Lab-1, Holo-Lab Facility, Mars Tech. Academy
USS Renegade, Bridge Simulation

"Aye, Sir, transferring  the signals coordinates to Helm.", as Niles sent the information to Cadet Benjin Moreno, at Helm and returned the Main View to an 'immediate' frontal view of the Renegade. He still had that nasty feeling that they were headed, toward their own version of "The Kobayashi Maru" 'No! Win Scenario'.

If, it were me Niles thought I'd be going in Red Alert, but hey I'm just the Ship's Bridge Science Officer on duty. He focused Science Station Scanners on the area he had indicated in the Nebula, with no compositional reading out of the ordinary coming in so far. Just the usual stuff that makes finding your way around or finding anything at all a pain in the butt.

" Admiral, Tactical, and Helm, the 'non-natural' readings are definitely Starships ...I can't get an accurate count yet, but they're actively scanning for something" , Niles said, not looking away from his console. Continuing calmly as the first detailed scans came in; he had also learned from a quick run-through of the Nakia Choi's Crew Roster that Capt. Rhianna Conway was in command,
"Capt. Conway the Nakia Choi's commander must know her job, because I have no real trace of the ship just an open comm. frequency." , his voice going to his matter-of-fact tone 'giving the facts mam only just the fact', "She must have found some way to hide the ship's scannable signature and is using a Comm. Frequency the other ships haven't picked-up on yet....they're probably writing it off as usual Nebular caused background noise ...that why she stopped voice transmission. ...The other ship's aren't even in that section yet, but it's only a matter of time."

Taking a chance, of overstepping his role in this exercise, he turned his chair  toward the Admiral, sitting Attention up-right,  saying politely but succinctly, " I honestly  recommend we hurry, before It's to late for Capt. Conway and the USS Nakia Choi, Sir.", he sat not moving an inch awaiting her reply.

Rayek trLhoell

[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy - Holodeck 1 - Defiant Class Simulation- USS Renegade]

When the Admiral spoke, Purrrcy listened attentively, but there was no new directions for him.  His task remained the same.  He continued scanning for any Breen vessels.

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on May 02, 2020, 11:19:59 PM

Holo-Lab-1, Holo-Lab Facility, Mars Tech. Academy
USS Renegade, Bridge Simulation

"Aye, Sir, transferring  the signals coordinates to Helm.", as Niles sent the information to Cadet Benjin Moreno, at Helm and returned the Main View to an 'immediate' frontal view of the Renegade. He still had that nasty feeling that they were headed, toward their own version of "The Kobayashi Maru" 'No! Win Scenario'.

If, it were me Niles thought I'd be going in Red Alert, but hey I'm just the Ship's Bridge Science Officer on duty. He focused Science Station Scanners on the area he had indicated in the Nebula, with no compositional reading out of the ordinary coming in so far. Just the usual stuff that makes finding your way around or finding anything at all a pain in the butt.

" Admiral, Tactical, and Helm, the 'non-natural' readings are definitely Starships ...I can't get an accurate count yet, but they're actively scanning for something" , Niles said, not looking away from his console. Continuing calmly as the first detailed scans came in; he had also learned from a quick run-through of the Nakia Choi's Crew Roster that Capt. Rhianna Conway was in command,
"Capt. Conway the Nakia Choi's commander must know her job, because I have no real trace of the ship just an open comm. frequency." , his voice going to his matter-of-fact tone 'giving the facts mam only just the fact', "She must have found some way to hide the ship's scannable signature and is using a Comm. Frequency the other ships haven't picked-up on yet....they're probably writing it off as usual Nebular caused background noise ...that why she stopped voice transmission. ...The other ship's aren't even in that section yet, but it's only a matter of time."

Taking a chance, of overstepping his role in this exercise, he turned his chair  toward the Admiral, sitting Attention up-right,  saying politely but succinctly, " I honestly  recommend we hurry, before It's to late for Capt. Conway and the USS Nakia Choi, Sir.", he sat not moving an inch awaiting her reply.

His ears flicked in annoyance at how the Orion had managed to pick out several starships through the level in interference coming from the nebula.  It made him wonder if the Recruit was just assuming that certain readings were ships but that in fact they could be false readings.

The Caitian tightened his scans of the area that the Orion had pointed out to the Admiral.  He thought he could see the readings that the recruit meant but still Purrrcy hesitated.  It might ships... but then it might not be.  This was a simulated test... so more than likely it was ships, but to state it as fact when there was still uncertainly, Purrrcy couldn't do that. His tail lashed to and fro as he considered what to report to the Captain.

After a moment Purrrcy turned to look towards the Admiral. "I'm unable confirm Science's readings, sir.  There's too much interference for me to be certain what those multiple readings are.  They could be Breen ships... or not."

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on May 03, 2020, 02:41:41 AM

When the Admiral spoke, Purrrcy listened attentively, but there was no new directions for him.  His task remained the same.  He continued scanning for any Breen vessels.

His ears flicked in annoyance at how the Orion had managed to pick out several starships through the level in interference coming from the nebula.  It made him wonder if the Recruit was just assuming that certain readings were ships but that in fact they could be false readings.

The Caitian tightened his scans of the area that the Orion had pointed out to the Admiral.  He thought he could see the readings that the recruit meant but still Purrrcy hesitated.  It might ships... but then it might not be.  This was a simulated test... so more than likely it was ships, but to state it as fact when there was still uncertainly, Purrrcy couldn't do that. His tail lashed to and fro as he considered what to report to the Captain.

After a moment Purrrcy turned to look towards the Admiral. "I'm unable confirm Science's readings, sir.  There's too much interference for me to be certain what those multiple readings are.  They could be Breen ships... or not."

[Holodeck 1]

"Good catch recruit." Julia turned to Niles. "She's right. There are some circumstances where you can't trust what your sensors are telling you. You could be staring at one vessel or fifteen. It would be hard to tell until we can get a visual. Alright, let's continue. Julia shifted and sat up in her chair. "Helm, get us to that nebula. Let's go have a look for ourselves. I want you to approach from the opposite side of those reading. See if we can use the nebula too. We might be able to take one of them but if there are more we'll need time to assess our tactics." Turning to Caitian at tactical. "Red alert recruit. Bring weapons online." She added.

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Julia Rellek on May 04, 2020, 02:01:30 AM

[Holodeck 1]

"Good catch recruit." Julia turned to Niles. "He's right. There are some circumstances where you can't trust what your sensors are telling you. You could be staring at one vessel or fifteen. It would be hard to tell until we can get a visual. Alright, let's continue." Julia shifted and sat up in her chair. "Helm, get us to that nebula. Let's go have a look for ourselves. I want you to approach from the opposite side of those reading. See if we can use the nebula too. We might be able to take one of them but if there are more we'll need time to assess our tactics." Turning to Caitian at tactical. "Red alert recruit. Bring weapons online." She added.

Recruit M'rr'mm let out a rumbling purr at the praise.  And here he'd been concerned at admitting to not having the answer.   Purrrcy turned back to his console at the Admiral's announcement to continue on.  Heading into a situation that held potential for battle was rather thrilling but the Caitian knew that it would test everything he'd been taught these past few months.   He wasn't an Academy Cadet - training to be an bridge officer.  He was enlisted... this was not the role he would most likely be assigned on any ship.  But the Mars academy wanted to be sure that if worse came to worst that he at least knew how to man the bridge in an emergency.

When the Admiral called on him to raise the alert status, Purrrcy's tail flicked in anticipation.

"Aye ma'am" he answered and tapped on his console to move the ship up to Condition Red.

With a Red Alert status, not only were shields energized and maintained at 100%, but weapons where brought online and powered.  This meant all of them.  In a Defiant-class that meant 4 pulse phaser cannons, at least 3 phaser emitters  - on the Renegade Purrrcy noted that there were 4, and at least 6 torpedo launchers - 4 forward and 2 aft.  Each one was brought online and raised to 75%.

Purrrcy had been trained to begin the battle with the option to increase power to weapons.

"Weapons are online and powered to 75% of max." He listed out the armaments available, including their payload of 96 torpedoes half of which were standard photon torpedoes while the other half were the Mark Q-II quantum torpedoes.

Tess tLhoell

Cadet Benjin Moreno

Benjin listened silently to the brief discussion between the science cadet and the cadet at tactical. While he did that he continued to go through all available frequencies to find one that might be responded to. But there was nothing.

"Unable to establish communication with the ship, Admiral", Benjin announced. When Julia then ordered to set course for the nebula, Benjin had received the coordinates from Niles.

"Set course, bearing 220 degrees-mark-180." Benjin plotted a course that would take them opposite to where the signal had come from. With the ship on Red Alert now Benjin prepared for sudden evasive action.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Niles James McCulloch

Science Station on The Holo-Simulation of a Defiant Class UFP/Starfleet Starship.
In Holo-Lab-1, of the UFP/Starfleet Mars Tech. Service Academy's Holo-Lab Facility.

Niles knew this was only a Holo-Simm, and not 'Live Fire' ....to use an Earthian 1970's Cyber-Spacer Slang Term: "Meat-Space" 'Reality'. But, this Cyber-Space Exercise still required his "Hé yī" (phonetically: "Hee-yiae" 合一) attention, that Mixed Martial Arts, Master Maximilian Ainley Saxe', aka, Uncle Max, had  taught him. He took Sec/Tac Recruit Purrrcy M'rr'mm amateur rating into account, and listened only to the Admiral Julia Rellek, for true guidance, for barring any input from Professor Storr and any random elements introduced by the Holo-Lab Facility Computer, that the Admiral was 'god' in this synthetic universe. 

Julia Rellek

[Holodeck bridge simulation]
[30 Minute Time Jump]

As the vessel approached the opposite side of the nebula Julia was hopeful that more data would be available at this point. "Helm, hold position here while we get our bearings. Science, can we get a location on the vessel who hailed us?" She asked with the displays at her side nothing was apparent. It was clear from her experience that the make up of this particular nebula would make it hard to be found and equally as hard to find someone who didn't want to be found. She turned to tactical. "Cadet, any chance of finding these Breen before they find us?" She asked, hopeful that they could isolate some sort of location.

Tess tLhoell

Cadet Benjin Moreno

At Julia's order they dropped out of warp and a moment later the ship stopped.

"Holding position", he reported dutifully, then waited for incoming coordinates. Knowing that Breen ships might be lurking here somewhere made him feel more than a little uneasy. Of course this wasn't real, but the simulation would feel real. Discreetly Benjin glanced over to Purrrcy at the Sec/Tac station, just to get an idea of when he might be discovering something.

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Julia Rellek on May 07, 2020, 02:52:52 AM

[Holodeck bridge simulation]
[30 Minute Time Jump]

As the vessel approached the opposite side of the nebula Julia was hopeful that more data would be available at this point. "Helm, hold position here while we get our bearings. Science, can we get a location on the vessel who hailed us?" She asked with the displays at her side nothing was apparent. It was clear from her experience that the make up of this particular nebula would make it hard to be found and equally as hard to find someone who didn't want to be found. She turned to tactical. "Cadet, any chance of finding these Breen before they find us?" She asked, hopeful that they could isolate some sort of location.

Purrrcy, had been keeping a close watch on his display the entire journey.  It was because of his attentiveness during this time that he was able to ascertain a number of things.  The movement of the 'unnatural readings' that were suspicious did appear to be moving in a search grid.  He could also be certain of three distinct readings.

The Admiral's question had the Caitian glancing over his shoulder towards her.

"I am still unable to confirm that they are Breen, ma'am.  But the readings do suggest that Recruit McCulloch was right in that they are starships and that they are searching for something.  Three ships are what I've been able to track, moving in an ever widening search grid.  The comm ID on what little bit we got from the emergency message does confirm that it is the USS Nakia Choi and Recruit McCulloch noted it is under the command of Captain Conway.   One of the readings looks to be more drifting than actual search pattern.  I believe this is the Nakia Choi."

He paused a moment to considered how to describe what he wanted to explain next. "From outside the nebula, I am able to track these not-natural readings  but the moment we are within the nebula we will be just as a blind as them.  However, as I said, the three ships are moving in standard search pattern, so if before we enter we compute the route to the Nakia Choi, avoiding the anticipated paths of the other vessels we could potentially conduct a 'silent and hidden rescue'.  At present the search pattern gives an 8 hr span of time before they come close to the Nakia Choi."

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on May 07, 2020, 05:29:27 PM

Purrrcy, had been keeping a close watch on his display the entire journey.  It was because of his attentiveness during this time that he was able to ascertain a number of things.  The movement of the 'unnatural readings' that were suspicious did appear to be moving in a search grid.  He could also be certain of three distinct readings.

The Admiral's question had the Caitian glancing over his shoulder towards her.

"I am still unable to confirm that they are Breen, ma'am.  But the readings do suggest that Recruit McCulloch was right in that they are starships and that they are searching for something.  Three ships are what I've been able to track moving in an ever widening search grid.  The comm ID on what little bit we got from the emergency message does confirm that it is the USS Nakia Choi and Recruit McCulloch noted it is under the command of Captain Conway.   One of the readings looks to be more drift than actual search pattern.  I believe this is the Nakia Choi."

He paused a moment to considered how to describe what he wanted to explain next. "From outside the nebula, I am able to track these not-natural readings  but the moment we are within the nebula we will be just as a blind as them.  However, as a said, they three ships are moving in standard search pattern, so if before we enter we compute the route to the Nakia Choi, avoiding the anticipated paths of the other vessels we could potentially conduct a 'silent and hidden rescue'.  At present the search pattern gives an 8 hr span of time before they come close to the Nakia Choi."

Science Station, USS Renegade, Holo-Simm, in Holo-Lab-1, of the UFP/Starfleet Mars Tech. Academy

Niles, reply to Admiral Relleck, request, " Admiral, I concur with Recruit M'rr'mm  the Anomaly farthest from the others, at the last Scan update, is most likely the Nakia Choi."
Continuing as he tries to get a firm lock on The Nakia Choi's Comm Signal, so they'll have at least a slim-chance of picking out the Capt. Rihanna Conway's Ship's call signature coming through just barely, once they enter the Nebula.
"Using The Nakia Choi, open comm. signal we might be able to pick them out this...this..'Mooshova', Sorry, I'll explain later. ", Niles said as he composed  himself, adding," If, Recruit Purrrcy M'rr'mm, and Cadet Benjin Moreno can lock on it also."

"For the safety of Capt. Conway and the Crew of the Nakia Choi, I would suggest we don't try beaming them off, it'll have to be one at time and Very Carefully, and besides it would give both of us away, and Shuttles would take too long."

Finishing his little speech with  a question of sorts, "If, Admiral Relleck, Cadet Moreno and Recruit  M'rr'mm concur on this." , breathe-out-breath-in-Speak:
"If, the Nakia Choi can not leave the Nebula under its own power us covering its exit. Will Tractor Beams hold under Warp Conditions?"
Niles asks assuming his flag-pole straight attention 'stance', while stiil seated facing his chair 'toward' the others, awaiting a reply.

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on May 07, 2020, 08:17:00 PM

Science Station, USS Renegade, Holo-Simm, in Holo-Lab-1, of the UFP/Starfleet Mars Tech. Academy

Niles, reply to Admiral Relleck, request, " Admiral, I concur with Recruit M'rr'mm  the Anomaly farthest from the others, at the last Scan update, is most likely the Nakia Choi."
Continuing as he tries to get a firm lock on The Nakia Choi's Comm Signal, so they'll have at least a slim-chance of picking out the Capt. Rihanna Conway's Ship's call signature coming through just barely, once they enter the Nebula.
"Using The Nakia Choi, open comm. signal we might be able to pick them out this...this..'Mooshova', Sorry, I'll explain later. ", Niles said as he composed  himself, adding," If, Recruit Purrrcy M'rr'mm, and Cadet Benjin Moreno can lock on it also."

"For the safety of Capt. Conway and the Crew of the Nakia Choi, I would suggest we don't try beaming them off, it'll have to be one at time and Very Carefully, and besides it would give both of us away, and Shuttles would take too long."

Finishing his little speech with  a question of sorts, "If, Admiral Relleck, Cadet Moreno and Recruit  M'rr'mm concur on this." , breathe-out-breath-in-Speak:
"If, the Nakia Choi can not leave the Nebula under its own power us covering its exit. Will Tractor Beams hold under Warp Conditions?"
Niles asks assuming his flag-pole straight attention 'stance', while stiil seated facing his chair 'toward' the others, awaiting a reply.

[Holodeck - Bridge]

"One thing at a time recruit. We've got to find them first." Julia stood up and stared into the viewscreen for a moment. "Where the hell are you. She muttered to herself. "Cadet Moreno, try your best to establish a location. Let's start our search grid with your best educated guess." She tapped the back of the chair and turned to the Caitian at tactical. "Recruit M'rr'mm I need more information. The last thing i want to do is bump into a hostile while we're feeling our way around in there." She paused and thought for a moment. What could the Breen have that is unique... "Polaron weapons!" Julia said loudly as she moved to the engineering station. "The Breen utilize polaron weapons. If they fired enough it should leave a residual trace. We'll at least be able to tell where they've fired. Also, keep an eye out for large biological signatures. The Breen are known to incorporate biological components into their vessels." Julia accessed the deflector and set it up to enhance the sensors. "There, I tied the main deflector into the sensor grid. Things should look a little better for you." She said hoping the crew would note that little trick.

Niles James McCulloch

Holo-Lab-1 UFP/Starfleet, Mars Tech. Academy Holo-Lab Facility, USS Renegade Simm.

Niles watches what Admiral Relleck does at Engineering. Then in that moment decides to do whatever it takes to Graduate, from this Academy and proceeds, to do so over the years, that follow.  He just barely graduates and is assigned to the USS Challenger, where after seeing what he gotten himself into, and decides to make a grand exit.
( See, S4:E2 Safe Passage, to find-out how, he does it.)

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.