Practice makes perfect (Niles McCulloch / NPC Cathy Daniels)

Started by Rayek trLhoell, January 13, 2020, 02:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 21, 2020, 12:31:08 AM

NPC Recruit Cathy Daniels
[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy - Hololab 1 (Astrometrics)]

Cathy nodded in agreement that the station commander needed to be informed.  However her jaw dropped open in stunned shock as Niles took what she viewed as an unnecessary step.  He recommended to the station commander to put Thalos VII on Red Alert.

"What?!"  They knew nothing about the anomaly as yet.  It seemed to her to be little premature to be recommending an alert.

But the hololab program must have been set to simply acknowledge and comply with all requests put to it... because Cathy couldn't believe any Starfleet officer would call a planetary alert on the say-so of some recruit without his senior officers checking into it and first trying to identify and solve the problem themselves.

When all was said and done, she and Niles, as the Astrometrics department, along with Command were given priority to access the data banks.  Cathy complied with the Orion's request to have the star chart put up on the lab's main viewer.

Soon the Barzan and Thalos star systems were up on the main viewer side by side.

Barzan system.    Thalos system.

Cathy looked over the images and the readings being displayed. "There you can see the gaseous anomaly leaving the Barzan system.   It's huge! And if these readings are right, it's expanding."  At it's current rate of expansion the ETA to Thalos II could be halved just due to its sheer size.  But surely it would slow it's rate of expansion before then... which reminded her of something that she wanted to ask.

"Niles... I have to ask...  why did you call for an planetary Red Alert?  Sure, it's an unknown but a Red Alert kind of implies that there is a confirmed danger.  We don't know that yet."

" For one thing, Cathy, the primary data as far as the Astrometrics computer rates It as being driven by an Intelligence.", Niles replied blandly, "Secondly It seem to have a chosen a target that wasn't close to IT.", he continue emotionlessly calm.
"Thirdly, It seems to be moving under Its own power whether It is Intelligent as We define the Term, or not.  It could be simply reaction driven, by what It's encountering." Niles said as he watched It on Astrometrics main screen.
"Plus, we still can't get any clear readings on It's composition.", he continued as stared at It intently, "And It's Origins are completely unknown...Heck! ...All We know is that came from the  Other End of a Highly unstable wormhole."
"It's Growing as it moves...In Short, Cathy, I thought it pertinent that Thalos VII should be prepared.", he said as turned and walked toward her station, " I've seen all sorts of weird stuff over the years, Cathy, in my adventures working for and with my Uncle Brian, and if I've learn one thing. It's to expect the unexpected."
As he faced Cathy, he stood almost at parade attention, "Luckily, no-one has run-into it yet."
As he  and is face became more animated, and relaxed, he said smiling at Cathy,"Okay! It's time we got some real answer, to give them."

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on March 21, 2020, 12:50:20 AM

" For one thing, Cathy, the primary data as far as the Astrometrics computer rates It as being driven by an Intelligence.", Niles replied blandly, "Secondly It seem to have a chosen a target that wasn't close to IT.", he continue emotionlessly calm.
"Thirdly, It seems to be moving under Its own power whether It is Intelligent as We define the Term, or not.  It could be simply reaction driven, by what It's encountering." Niles said as he watched It on Astrometrics main screen.
"Plus, we still can't get any clear readings on It's composition.", he continued as stared at It intently, "And It's Origins are completely unknown...Heck! ...All We know is that came from the  Other End of a Highly unstable wormhole."
"It's Growing as it moves...In Short, Cathy, I thought it pertinent that Thalos VII should be prepared.", he said as turned and walked toward her station, " I've seen all sorts of weird stuff over the years, Cathy, in my adventures working for and with my Uncle Brian, and if I've learn one thing. It's to expect the unexpected."
As he faced Cathy, he stood almost at parade attention, "Luckily, no-one has run-into it yet."
As he  and is face became more animated, and relaxed, he said smiling at Cathy,"Okay! It's time we got some real answer, to give them."

Cathy took in her friend's almost Vulcan emotionlessness and realized that she had unintentionally insulted him with her questioning of his decision.   Or so she thought until he suddenly relaxed at the end of his explanation as if nothing was amiss between them.   That was weird.

Having been paying attention, Cathy was fully aware of everything he'd just told her before he summed it all up.  She even agreed that the commander of the station and the planet needed to be informed, but personally felt calling a planetary Red Alert was premature.  There were varying levels of Alert and moving straight to Red was just irresponsible.  Now those people would be in a panic about this gaseous anomaly.  Panicked people did stupid things.

But Cathy wasn't about to argue his decision any further - not now in the midst of the 'mission' at any rate.   Besides which what was done, was done.  The important thing now was to find out more about the anomaly and determine if it really was a threat.  Not everything with an intelligence was out to get them.

"If we are assuming an intelligence of the anomaly itself or that which controls then I suppose the next step that should be taken is attempting communication.  But how do you communicate with something so vast?"

Cathy considered her own question for a moment.  It would be easier to figure out such if they had more data... but at this distance there was little more information they could collect.   That's when the idea hit.. she looked upwards as she actioned the Computer.  "Computer, please note the location of all Starfleet ships and assets on the astrometrics maps for the defined area."

The station they were on might not be able to do much given the distance but if there was a ship nearby then perhaps they could ask it to send off a probe into the anomaly to gather more data.

And luck was on her side... or rather the program was designed to be accommodating.  There was one such vessel in the vicinity of Barzan II.   The USS Keppler.

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 22, 2020, 04:10:37 PM

Cathy took in her friend's almost Vulcan emotionlessness and realized that she had unintentionally insulted him with her questioning of his decision.   Or so she thought until he suddenly relaxed at the end of his explanation as if nothing was amiss between them.   That was weird.

Having been paying attention, Cathy was fully aware of everything he'd just told her before he summed it all up.  She even agreed that the commander of the station and the planet needed to be informed, but personally felt calling a planetary Red Alert was premature.  There were varying levels of Alert and moving straight to Red was just irresponsible.  Now those people would be in a panic about this gaseous anomaly.  Panicked people did stupid things.

But Cathy wasn't about to argue his decision any further - not now in the midst of the 'mission' at any rate.   Besides which what was done, was done.  The important thing now was to find out more about the anomaly and determine if it really was a threat.  Not everything with an intelligence was out to get them.

"If we are assuming an intelligence of the anomaly itself or that which controls then I suppose the next step that should be taken is attempting communication.  But how do you communicate with something so vast?"

Cathy considered her own question for a moment.  It would be easier to figure out such if they had more data... but at this distance there was little more information they could collect.   That's when the idea hit.. she looked upwards as she actioned the Computer.  "Computer, please note the location of all Starfleet ships and assets on the astrometrics maps for the defined area."

The station they were on might not be able to do much given the distance but if there was a ship nearby then perhaps they could ask it to send off a probe into the anomaly to gather more data.

And luck was on her side... or rather the program was designed to be accommodating.  There was one such vessel in the vicinity of Barzan II.   The USS Keppler.

[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy - Hololab 1 (Astrometrics)

"Good call, Cathy." He said to Cathy, in a sincere congratulatory tone, adding, " Granted, red alert status may seem extreme, but Thalos VII doesn't have a lot of time to prepare." , he said calmly as he turned to look at Astrometrics Main Screen, he continued with,"And it's true that Intelligence however you define It does not mean maleficence, but there is always the unintended."

As he watched the Astrometrics computer bring-up all the players in the unfolding drama on Astrometrics Main Screen, Niles added, "Given Its size, speed, and amorphousness, if Its contents are toxic to Humanoids it could have enveloped Thalos VII unintentionally in a fatal cloud, before anyone was otherwise prepared."

"Computer open  comm with Station Command Center ." (SCC),
he stated as he slowly walked toward Astrometrics Main Screen with an intent gaze and hands folded behind his back,   noting USS Keppler's relationship to  "Cloud", as he now thought of The Anomaly.

"Officer on Duty, do you read?", Niles asked, not knowing whether Colonel David Handover was on duty in the SCC.

"I read You, Recruit McCulloch." Colonel Handover's  voice replied crisply, "Good going,  Astrometrics, we have USS Keppler in play, on our Main Screen.", the Colonel continued.
Niles unfolded his hands that were still behind his back and gave Cathy a double thumbs-up.

( The Astrometrics' computer was still relaying through main computer systems with SCC, so what Recruits Daniels and McCulloch were seeing on Astrometrics' main screen was also appearing simultaneously on SCC's main screen.)

" Recruits Daniel; McCulloch, I'll let you  Science and Engineering know when we've established communication with the Keppler, keep main com clear." Colonel Handover  advised crisply signing off before Niles could reply.

{The Comm Channel at Cathy's Station immediately came, to life on conference call setting, with two faces appearing split screen, on her station's main viewer. One face a dark skin caucasian female with piercing but kindly black eyes and jet black hair in a bun, labeled Chief Science Officer,  Dr. Ailani M. J. Collin.
The other an unmistakable Scot/Irish male fiftish with sky-blue eyes and flaming red hair with streaks of gray. Labeled Chief Engineering Officer Martin C. Aldrich, with and added text:
"Please, Kids, call me "Marty" cause we got no time to waste."
}

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on March 22, 2020, 05:33:44 PM

[Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy - Hololab 1 (Astrometrics)

"Good call, Cathy." He said to Cathy, in a sincere congratulatory tone, adding, " Granted, red alert status may seem extreme, but Thalos VII doesn't have a lot of time to prepare." , he said calmly as he turned to look at Astrometrics Main Screen, he continued with,"And it's true that Intelligence however you define It does not mean maleficence, but there is always the unintended."

As he watched the Astrometrics computer bring-up all the players in the unfolding drama on Astrometrics Main Screen, Niles added, "Given Its size, speed, and amorphousness, if Its contents are toxic to Humanoids it could have enveloped Thalos VII unintentionally in a fatal cloud, before anyone was otherwise prepared."

"Computer open  comm with Station Command Center ." (SCC),
he stated as he slowly walked toward Astrometrics Main Screen with an intent gaze and hands folded behind his back,   noting USS Keppler's relationship to  "Cloud", as he now thought of The Anomaly.

"Officer on Duty, do you read?", Niles asked, not knowing whether Colonel David Handover was on duty in the SCC.

"I read You, Recruit McCulloch." Colonel Handover's  voice replied crisply, "Good going,  Astrometrics, we have USS Keppler in play, on our Main Screen.", the Colonel continued.
Niles unfolded his hands that were still behind his back and gave Cathy a double thumbs-up.

(The Astrometrics' computer was still relaying through main computer systems with SCC, so what Recruits Daniels and McCulloch were seeing on Astrometrics' main screen was also appearing simultaneously on SCC's main screen.)

" Recruits Daniel; McCulloch, I'll let you  Science and Engineering know when we've established communication with the Keppler, keep main com clear." Colonel Handover  advised crisply signing off before Niles could reply.

{The Comm Channel at Cathy's Station immediately came, to life on conference call setting, with two faces appearing split screen, on her station's main viewer. One face a dark skin caucasian female with piercing but kindly black eyes and jet black hair in a bun, labeled Chief Science Officer,  Dr. Ailani M. J. Collin.
The other an unmistakable Scot/Irish male fiftish with sky-blue eyes and flaming red hair with streaks of gray. Labeled Chief Engineering Officer Martin C. Aldrich, with and added text:
"Please, Kids, call me "Marty" cause we got no time to waste."
}

For a moment, Cathy beamed at Niles' praise.  She didn't often hear praise from anyone so it was a nice change.  Of course, it was a tad annoying that Niles then had to continue justifying his decision.  Cathy just wanted to move past it and onto the actual 'Science' stuff this hololab mission was supposed to be about.  Though.. his words did have a kind of wisdom - 15 hrs wasn't a whole helluva lot of time to evacuate a planet or find a means to avoid a gaseous anomaly.
While Niles contacted the station commander and they in turn attempted to contact the Keppler in order to arrange a sensor probe insertion, Cathy turned back to the their sensor scans and continued to ponder how else they could learn more and perhaps slow the anomaly down.

It was such a monumental task given its astronomical size - literally.  "It's a shame we don't have 'weather-control' at a solar system size instead of just planetary size.  We could just simply dissipate the gases that make up the cloud and the 'threat' would just be gone."

When the comms on her panel opened to a conference call unexpectedly as she said that, Cathy looked like a deer caught in a set of headlights.  Ugh.. she felt like such an idiot saying such things aloud for people -other than Niles- to hear.

After a moment, Cathy offered a weak smile at the 'Marty' reference, before turning her head towards Niles.  "Niles,  I think this call is for you.".  She tried to sidle out of the camera's view to let Niles take over.

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 23, 2020, 05:49:25 PM

For a moment, Cathy beamed at Niles' praise.  She didn't often hear praise from anyone so it was a nice change.  Of course, it was a tad annoying that Niles then had to continue justifying his decision.  Cathy just wanted to move past it and onto the actual 'Science' stuff this hololab mission was supposed to be about.  Though.. his words did have a kind of wisdom - 15 hrs wasn't a whole helluva lot of time to evacuate a planet or find a means to avoid a gaseous anomaly.

While Niles contacted the station commander and they in turn attempted to contact the Keppler in order to arrange a sensor probe insertion, Cathy turned back to the their sensor scans and continued to ponder how else they could learn more and perhaps slow the anomaly down.

It was such a monumental task given its astronomical size - literally.  "It's a shame we don't have 'weather-control' at a solar system size instead of just planetary size.  We could just simply dissipate the gases that make up the cloud and the 'threat' would just be gone."

When the comms on her panel opened to a conference call unexpectedly as she said that, Cathy looked like a deer caught in a set of headlights.  Ugh.. she felt like such an idiot saying such things aloud for people -other than Niles- to hear.

After a moment, Cathy offered a weak smile at the 'Marty' reference, before turning her head towards Niles.  "Niles,  I think this call is for you.".  She tried to sidle out of the camera's view to let Niles take over.

Mars - Starfleet Technical Services Academy - Hololab 1 (Astrometrics)

"Actually, Cathy, it's for both of us." Niles said  in a staged whisper, to Cathy.

"Now don't be goin' shy on us there, Cathy, we be in this 'haggis' together now." Marty, said to Cathy as his face went from 'labeled' freeze-frame to Scottish-Uncle animated.

Dr. Collin, laughed, "Marty right, Cathy." , Dr. Ailani Collin trying to bury her mixed thick Hindi/British accent, added, "We're ein thess together."

Niles, taking he's cue for now, " She's checking-out an Idea, Marty, Doctor..." Niles said pausing hoping for a cue from Dr. Collin.

" Yah kan be callin' her "MJ", Niles.", Marty chuckled, taking senior 'character lead' in this haggis of a science-faction situation drama.

Niles trying to get serious again, in a thankful tone replies, "Okay, Marty, MJ, you can call me "Niles", but I prefer "James". "
Smilingly staring at Cathy, Niles ,"James",  wonders what Professor Storr is making of all of this, breaking his self revelry, with," Colonel Handover, will be plugging all of us in with at least  Keppler's Science and Engineering Department soon, plus wanting some answer himself soon." , with a 'Cathy Centered' Emphasis on "Us".

" All we know for sure is that It is fast, big, amorously gaseous; possibly intelligent.", he says as turns toward Astrometrics Main Screen. Thinking, "If, this were a real world live-fire 'Haggis' of a situation. One, hopefully Cathy would be more involved although she's carried her weigh so far. Two, the chief officers of the Science and Engineering Departments would be looking at what was/is now on the Astrometrics main screen in front of him. " 

Breaking his mental pause with, " Heck! Maybe even sentient and heading for at least the Thalos System; possibly even Thalos VII Itself."   , turning  to face Cathy , who he hoped was back at her station.

" Okay,  James, our eloquent big green Leprechaun an' shy Cathy,  I'll be rumblin' the computre fer past hisstries  oh semiller encounters and feeden ya an' MJ tha results.", Marty said jocularly as face disappeared from the split screen.

" MJ here, James; Cathy. I'll sea what I can find especially from Astrobiology .", giggled MJ as her face disappeared from Cathy's screen.

"And Cathy and I will be sending You Two what we can come-up with in Astrometrics.", said Niles aka "James", as he looked , at Cathy, as straight-faced as he could, still trying to recover from Marty's Leprechaun Humour.

" Has Astrometrics bundle of circuits and wires come-up with anything new while I entertained our guests." he said to Cathy as he was still slowly recovering an 'air' of semi-seriousness as he sat down in the nearest chair to him.

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on March 23, 2020, 07:41:26 PM

"Actually, Cathy, it's for both of us." Niles said  in a staged whisper, to Cathy.

"Now don't be goin' shy on us there, Cathy, we be in this 'haggis' together now." Marty, said to Cathy as his face went from 'labeled' freeze-frame to Scottish-Uncle animated.

Dr. Collin, laughed, "Marty right, Cathy." , Dr. Ailani Collin trying to bury her mixed thick Hindi/British accent, added, "We're ein thess together."

Niles, taking he's cue for now, " She's checking-out an Idea, Marty, Doctor..." Niles said pausing hoping for a cue from Dr. Collin.

" Yah kan be callin' her "MJ", Niles.", Marty chuckled, taking senior 'character lead' in this haggis of a science-faction situation drama.

Niles trying to get serious again, in a thankful tone replies, "Okay, Marty, MJ, you can call me "Niles", but I prefer "James". "

Smilingly staring at Cathy, Niles ,"James",  wonders what Professor Storr is making of all of this, breaking his self revelry, with," Colonel Handover, will be plugging all of us in with at least  Keppler's Science and Engineering Department soon, plus wanting some answer himself soon." , with a 'Cathy Centered' Emphasis on "Us".

" All we know for sure is that It is fast, big, amorously gaseous; possibly intelligent.", he says as turns toward Astrometrics Main Screen. Thinking,"If, this were a real world live-fire 'Haggis' of a situation. One, hopefully Cathy would be more involved although she's carried her weigh so far. Two, the chief officers of the Science and Engineering Departments would be looking at what was/is now on the Astrometrics main screen in front of him. " 

Breaking his mental pause with, " Heck! Maybe even sentient and heading for at least the Thalos System; possibly even Thalos VII Itself."   , turning  to face Cathy , who he hoped was back at her station.

" Okay,  James, our eloquent big green Leprechaun an' shy Cathy,  I'll be rumblin' the computre fer past hisstries  oh semiller encounters and feeden ya an' MJ tha results.", Marty said jocularly as face disappeared from the split screen.

" MJ here, James; Cathy. I'll sea what I can find especially from Astrobiology .", giggled MJ as her face disappeared from Cathy's screen.

"And Cathy and I will be sending You Two what we can come-up with in Astrometrics.", said Niles aka "James", as he looked , at Cathy, as straight-faced as he could, still trying to recover from Marty's Leprechaun Humour.

" Has Astrometrics bundle of circuits and wires come-up with anything new while I entertained our guests." he said to Cathy as he was still slowly recovering an 'air' of semi-seriousness as he sat down in the nearest chair to him.

Cathy was grateful that Niles took over the video conference call and even made an excuse for her.   She listened in from off screen and was a bit surprised at the personality templates used for the ranking officers.  Did senior officers really get that familiar with the new and unfamiliar crew?   She would have thought they would be more stand-off-ish.

So as not to have Niles be a liar, Cathy moved to a side console - to try and get a finer resolution with the scanner.   She couldn't wait to get that probes data...  her idea of 'weather-control' wouldn't leave her head.  She was so distracted by it that she'd missed much of the conversation.. besides which Marty's accent had been difficult to understand.  She hoped most officers would be more understandable in there speech.

She waited until the others signed off, before turning to look to Niles.  His question caught her off guard.  She glanced to the display but it was much the same as before.  "No we're going to have to wait on the probe's data... but hey... I had a thought... what do you know about 'cloud seeding' and weather-control?"

"I mean if its discovered that the gases are noxious.. then maybe we can find an element that the gas will react to chemically that will alter it to a safer compound.  Deploy vast amounts of the element via several warheads.... does that sound plausible?"

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 25, 2020, 01:06:37 AM

Cathy was grateful that Niles took over the video conference call and even made an excuse for her.   She listened in from off screen and was a bit surprised at the personality templates used for the ranking officers.  Did senior officers really get that familiar with the new and unfamiliar crew?   She would have thought they would be more stand-off-ish.

So as not to have Niles be a liar, Cathy moved to a side console - to try and get a finer resolution with the scanner.   She couldn't wait to get that probes data...  her idea of 'weather-control' wouldn't leave her head.  She was so distracted by it that she'd missed much of the conversation.. besides which Marty's accent had been difficult to understand.  She hoped most officers would be more understandable in there speech.

She waited until the others signed off, before turning to look to Niles.  His question caught her off guard.  She glanced to the display but it was much the same as before.  "No we're going to have to wait on the probe's data... but hey... I had a thought... what do you know about 'cloud seeding' and weather-control?"

"I mean if its discovered that the gases are noxious.. then maybe we can find an element that the gas will react to chemically that will alter it to a safer compound.  Deploy vast amounts of the element via several warheads.... does that plausible?"

"Personally I haven't been involved in 'cloud seeding' as a form of weather-control.", Niles admitted thoughtfully.  "But I did help install dry-ice making equipment, that the Alpha-V Agricultural Institute bought through Uncle Brian's trading company." , he added as got out of the chair and walked back to his station.
"They used it for cloud seeding, with mixed results." he continued as sat down, thinking, "Cathy, is finally getting into it and even thinking outside the box. She's going to ace this stuff yet."
"And Earth level weather control it was a hot topic with them at the Institute, when left Alpha V." he said hoping Marty and MJ could 'feed' them something soon. The clock was/is ticking.
"Cathy, your idea is interesting and possibly plausible if done right.", he said cautiously, " And not trying to rain on your thought parade, but there are two caveats to consider. " added measurely.
"First, the Biggy is of the Old Prime Directive Issue type." he said pausing and trying his best not sound like 'the teacher talking to the girl in the corner with the Dunce Cap, as he continued his oration, " If, is an Intelligent; possibly Sentient Being do we want to come-off as the attacker, of something that as of the present has not shown  any offensive or malevolent intent toward anyone, so far." , he paused to breathe and then went on trying his darnedest not to sermonize, "Granted I did advised that Thalos VII go to red alert, but that was because the clock is ticking.  Plus, it was for a big time defensive posture, i.e., bunker down, shields up an' weather and wait for offensive instructions." , he stopped again shortly hoping she want have anything do with when he finished, saying, "Secondly, there is the off wall chance using the torpedo approach to dealing with The Anomaly should it come to that, for whatever reason. Even if only to render it compositionally safe should It prove to be toxic and doing so wouldn't harm it as a lifeform that maybe Intelligent / Sentient and unaware that it is dangerous to others. Could be fatal to It and anyone near It by detonating It, because It is compostionaly combustible."
ending with a catching his breath sigh, and taking a hydration recovery drag on the water bottle he kept with him, because controlled environments especially like the holodeck dried him and especially his mouth out ; doubly so after one his unintended orations.

Thankfully Niles thought, as MJ came on the conference call audio channel at Cathy's station, before he or Cathy could say anything.
"Marty, Cathy; James, I having something!" , MJ said excitedly. " I am putting it on your be-ig screen." barely able to control herself.

"We see them, MJ. How about You, Marty?", Niles replied/asked, guessing Marty and whoever in Engineering was working did too.
" Aye, Laddie! as big as life. Good goin' ,MJ.", Marty replied.
"They from a general survey by the Science Vessel USS Carpathia Dated 88544.14291603235."
{ Date: 16 / June / 2234; Time:09/18/29 showed on Niles monitor as typed in the date query information as he participated in the ongoing exchange.}
" Between Larieshe IV and Chalnoth Space heading in the present direction of the Barzan Wormhole area roughly seem rate of speed as present Anomaly." MJ continued calming down, "Composition mainly hydrogen, carbonic and carboniferous  gases, nitrogen, argon, helium, silicate crystals, and some traces of unidentifiable plasmatic structures in the Disk shaped region floating near Its center."

"Did It give any indication of self propulsion?" , Marty asked, before Niles could.

"Indeterminate. But, the Carpathia Chief Science Officer, Dr Darrence F. Stacey noted it "Acted Pised-off" when there probes first enter the main part of the "Large Gaseous Formation".  That it almost stopped, and so did They stopped to keep from running into it.  "The Disk" red area changed color to almost solid orange with streaks of green, then slowly back to red. Then moved on.  They had a rendezvous with the USS Tempest they had to keep." , MJ replied at continuing slower rate pronouncing like she reading the information she was relaying.
"Oh! there is a Memory Alpha reference appended to the Carpathia's report  by Dr. Stacey referring to a Vulcan Science Log, from the Barzan/ Thalos VII Area by the Vulcan Science Vessel "Yel Haolvaya". " MJ added.
" It's concerning, an encounter Star Dated: 228769.13346651464, with the remnants of of video scan." she said slowly over the Conference comm chanel, as it appeared on the Astrometrics Main Screen.

===================================================

Hi! Sinthija
You can delete this, a before you post your reply.
In Brief, I had to re login and I can't find how to get to Discord.
Could you please "post" it as a 'footnote' your reply.
Thank You!

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on March 25, 2020, 02:26:42 AM

"Personally I haven't been involved in 'cloud seeding' as a form of weather-control.", Niles admitted thoughtfully.  "But I did help install dry-ice making equipment, that the Alpha-V Agricultural Institute bought through Uncle Brian's trading company." , he added as got out of the chair and walked back to his station.
"They used it for cloud seeding, with mixed results." he continued as sat down, thinking, "Cathy, is finally getting into it and even thinking outside the box. She's going to ace this stuff yet."
"And Earth level weather control it was a hot topic with them at the Institute, when left Alpha V." he said hoping Marty and MJ could 'feed' them something soon. The clock was/is ticking.
"Cathy, your idea is interesting and possibly plausible if done right.", he said cautiously, " And not trying to rain on your thought parade, but there are two caveats to consider. " added measurely.
"First, the Biggy is of the Old Prime Directive Issue type." he said pausing and trying his best not sound like 'the teacher talking to the girl in the corner with the Dunce Cap, as he continued his oration, " If, is an Intelligent; possibly Sentient Being do we want to come-off as the attacker, of something that as of the present has not shown  any offensive or malevolent intent toward anyone, so far." , he paused to breathe and then went on trying his darnedest not to sermonize, "Granted I did advised that Thalos VII go to red alert, but that was because the clock is ticking.  Plus, it was for a big time defensive posture, i.e., bunker down, shields up an' weather and wait for offensive instructions." , he stopped again shortly hoping she want have anything do with when he finished, saying, "Secondly, there is the off wall chance using the torpedo approach to dealing with The Anomaly should it come to that, for whatever reason. Even if only to render it compositionally safe should It prove to be toxic and doing so wouldn't harm it as a lifeform that maybe Intelligent / Sentient and unaware that it is dangerous to others. Could be fatal to It and anyone near It by detonating It, because It is compostionaly combustible."
ending with a catching his breath sigh, and taking a hydration recovery drag on the water bottle he kept with him, because controlled environments especially like the holodeck dried him and especially his mouth out ; doubly so after one his unintended orations.

Thankfully Niles thought, as MJ came on the conference call audio channel at Cathy's station, before he or Cathy could say anything.
"Marty, Cathy; James, I having something!" , MJ said excitedly. " I am putting it on your be-ig screen." barely able to control herself.

"We see them, MJ. How about You, Marty?", Niles replied/asked, guessing Marty and whoever in Engineering was working did too.
" Aye, Laddie! as big as life. Good goin' ,MJ.", Marty replied.
"They from a general survey by the Science Vessel USS Carpathia Dated 88544.14291603235."
{ Date: 16 / June / 2234; Time:09/18/29 showed on Niles monitor as typed in the date query information as he participated in the ongoing exchange.}
" Between Larieshe IV and Chalnoth Space heading in the present direction of the Barzan Wormhole area roughly seem rate of speed as present Anomaly." MJ continued calming down, "Composition mainly hydrogen, carbonic and carboniferous  gases, nitrogen, argon, helium, silicate crystals, and some traces of unidentifiable plasmatic structures in the Disk shaped region floating near Its center."

"Did It give any indication of self propulsion?" , Marty asked, before Niles could.

"Indeterminate. But, the Carpathia Chief Science Officer, Dr Darrence F. Stacey noted it "Acted Pised-off" when there probes first enter the main part of the "Large Gaseous Formation".  That it almost stopped, and so did They stopped to keep from running into it.  "The Disk" red area changed color to almost solid orange with streaks of green, then slowly back to red. Then moved on.  They had a rendezvous with the USS Tempest they had to keep." , MJ replied at continuing slower rate pronouncing like she reading the information she was relaying.
"Oh! there is a Memory Alpha reference appended to the Carpathia's report  by Dr. Stacey referring to a Vulcan Science Log, from the Barzan/ Thalos VII Area by the Vulcan Science Vessel "Yel Haolvaya". " MJ added.
" It's concerning, an encounter Star Dated: 228769.13346651464, with the remnants of of video scan." she said slowly over the Conference comm chanel, as it appeared on the Astrometrics Main Screen.

That Niles didn't have any first hand experience with 'cloud seeding' was almost a relief.  He just always seemed to be an expert at everything.  But it didn't surprise her that he'd at least knew about it had been distantly involved in something like it.  The Orion hybrid was definitely something else.  Again she wondered why he was wasting his potential with choosing the Enlisted route.  Someone with his experience and intelligence could easily make it as an officer.  Maybe it the Academy time... some people just didn't want to wait 4 years in Starfleet Academy in San Francisco to become an officer.

Focusing back on his reply, Cathy realized that he made a valid point about the about the Prime Directive.  IF it was sentient then they had to take measures not to harm it or even influence it.   Though that might be difficult while trying to protect Thalos VII.

The science crewman recruit considered the implications of the material composition.  It did contain many of the building blocks of life. And the report by the Carpathia and its footnoted video log of a similar anomaly even earlier hinted that this was not the first time this phenomenon or entity passed by this way.  "Ok. Is there anyway to check with Thalos VII or Barzan II to determine from their history at if the timing of these other reported anomalies correspond to any sort of catastrophe on their planets?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOC I sent  you the link to your Mail  (top of the forum... mid screen)

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 26, 2020, 06:23:30 PM

That Niles didn't have any first hand experience with 'cloud seeding' was almost a relief.  He just always seemed to be an expert at everything.  But it didn't surprise her that he'd at least knew about it had been distantly involved in something like it.  The Orion hybrid was definitely something else.  Again she wondered why he was wasting his potential with choosing the Enlisted route.  Someone with his experience and intelligence could easily make it as an officer.  Maybe it the Academy time... some people just didn't want to wait 4 years in Starfleet Academy in San Francisco to become an officer.

Focusing back on his reply, Cathy realized that he made a valid point about the about the Prime Directive.  IF it was sentient then they had to take measures not to harm it or even influence it.   Though that might be difficult while trying to protect Thalos VII.

The science crewman recruit considered the implications of the material composition.  It did contain many of the building blocks of life. And the report by the Carpathia and its footnoted video log of a similar anomaly even earlier hinted that this was not the first time this phenomenon or entity passed by this way.  "Ok. Is there anyway to check with Thalos VII or Barzan II to determine from their history at if the timing of these other reported anomalies correspond to any sort of catastrophe on their planets?"

"Good idea, Cathy." Niles said with sincere encouraging enthusiasm, "Let's put together a hopefully quick coordinated data inquiry of Memory Alpha  using the information we have so far."

Acting on a Thought Niles, directly contacted SCC's comm-officer on duty, which a quick check of the station's duty roster  showed to be, Lt Takov t'sai Sviribaya.
"Lt. Sviribaya, this is Recruit McCulloch has the USS Kepler been contacted yet?" , Niles asked
Lt.Takov t'sai Sviribaya.

"Colonel Handover, is in contact with the Capt. Johnson, of the USS Keppler." Lt. Sviribaya, acknowledged in a hushed tone.
Niles, could hear Col., Handover and Capt. Johnson talking in the background. Col., Handover and Capt. Johnson were obviously on an open SCC com-channel.

" Lt. Sviribaya, is that Recruit, McCulloch, Astrometrics?", Col., Handover voice cutting-in with a bit-tingly crisp inquiring tone.

"Affirmative, Col., it is Recruit, McCulloch, Astrometrics.", answered Lt. Sviribaya  in precise computer like inflectionless reply.
Lt. Sviribaya put Niles on SCC vox without being asked, by the Col., Handover.

The Colonel knowing the Lt. would do just that, "Capt. Johnson, this is the guy you should be talking to not me" , he unceremoniously putting Niles on open SCC vox.

Niles knew that if this was a live fire exercise, his voice could heard at least by all present in SCC and on the bridge of the USS Keppler .

"Capt. Johnson, USS Kepler this is Recruit, McCulloch,  crewmember on duty in Astrometrics, of 'S. Hawking'."
, Niles sitting and speaking at attention , as if that were possible.

" Col. Handover, here say that You and a Recruit Daniels have a honking big 'live' gas cloud you need help reconning before it hits Thalos VII, in an ETA therteen Earth hours, to see if it's dangerous or not.", Capt. Johnson drawled with a tryin' ta burry-it but distinct Earth/USA/Texas accent.

"Yes, ...Sir, Capt. Johnson." , Niles replied, catching himself before he said mam.

"Helm, you heard him step on it." , She said in voice that sounded slightly 'off mike'.

"I'll be handing you off to Cheif Scince Officer, Dr Andreas Lesser and my Chief Enginering Officer Aneko Mardian." , Capt. Johnson said politely as she could.

Before, Niles could acknowledge the Captain's statement, he heard, "Let's go catch a Cloud..." fading out as two other voices start talking at once in an unintelligible  'Testing 123 Approach' to a microphone, blur of words, with shortly another female voice winning out.
"Aneko Mardin here, Chief of Engineering USS Keplar.", Anekosaid politely and then paused, for the second voice.

"Chief Science Officer,  Dr. Andreas Lesser,  Recruit McCulloch. What's this about Living Cloud?" said a male voice of indeterminate ethnic origin, or accent.

"Yes! Sending you data now." MJ politely 'broke in' in a voice that was trying to be helpful, and not authoritative. "Oh, I  Dr. Ailani M. J. Collin, Dr. Lesser, Chif Science Officer, Station Hawkings, here.", the Hindi vs the British side of her accent almost 'winning-out'.

Niles waited, to see if Marty would chime in.  All the time he had been 'double' tasking to try keep ahead of "Cloud", and maintaining 'control' of the situation, by sending Memory Alpha the information request Cathy had suggested 'earlier' and that they fleshed-out. Also, setting-up a separate file, to pool all the data that they already had collected; what would be coming from Memory Alpha and eventually the USS Kepler would send.
Plus, clearing a com-channel for the upcoming virtual audio conference, that was and would be taking place all too soon.

When Marty and Aneko, came on audio clearly at the sametime, in Oreintal/Scot-British accented two word duette:

" Bussard Collectors!"

" Bussard Collectors!?!", MJ chimed in with a eureka tone in her voice.
" Bussard Collectors!", Dr. Lesser duhishly flatly ended the acapella quartet.

Then Niles hand-palmed his forehead. The  same thought hit Niles, too, with an audible,  mumble :"Oh! Fart! Cloud Fart!"

The  USS Kepler's Chief Science Officer Aneko Mardian, broke the seconds pause 'that seemed' like hours.
"I've almost reconfiguring ship's Bussard collectors."
"By, my Great Uncle Sean.", sighed Marty. "If it be alive it doesn't hav' ta be smart ta fart."

"When I get Bussard Collector data as Keplar approaches Cloud, I will send you it, S Hawkings.", said Kepler's Chief Engineering Officer Mardin.

" I'll be sending our biometric analysis, plus especial any passive probe data we collect when we get close enough to actively trail it." Dr. Lesser added he voice sounding more animated  all the time.

Niles took a break from the  impromptu Mini-Conference, turning to look at the Astrometrics' holographic display table 'behind' him as the Astrometrics' computer ran a Extrapolate expanded 3-D version of the over 200 terran year old Vulcan science ship's  video  scan of the Anomaly It found int roughly the same area they were dealing with.
He thought, "It can't be this easy... something else has to be buried in all this ... maybe ... it's what's changed over time... the Anomaly ...the area ...???"
He briefly mentally drifted as he watched the cloud bifurcate, in a short 3D loop...the Astrometrics' computer acknowledged the first data 'dump' from Memory Alpha...what's the one thing that alway change ...population..."Holy Shit!" , he thought.
" Both "Us" and It!" he said, out loud. "Cathy, could you check and see if that Memory Alpha data includes a population spread map of the area." he asked in a highly subdued and sincerely polite tone.
While he ran back to his station to run a idea through the computer about a shift in  the clouds possible breeding and feeding 'grounds'.

Rayek trLhoell

NPC Cathy Daniels

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on March 27, 2020, 01:34:49 AM

"Good idea, Cathy." Niles said with sincere encouraging enthusiasm, "Let's put together a hopefully quick coordinated data inquiry of Memory Alpha  using the information we have so far."

" Col. Handover, here say that You and a Recruit Daniels have a honking big 'live' gas cloud you need help reconning before it hits Thalos VII, in an ETA therteen Earth hours, to see if it's dangerous or not.", Capt. Johnson drawled with a tryin' ta burry-it but distinct Earth/USA/Texas accent.

"Yes, ...Sir, Capt. Johnson." , Niles replied, catching himself before he said mam.

"Helm, you heard him step on it." , She said in voice that sounded slightly 'off mike'.

"I'll be handing you off to Cheif Scince Officer, Dr Andreas Lesser and my Chief Enginering Officer Aneko Mardian." , Capt. Johnson said politely as she could.

Before, Niles could acknowledge the Captain's statement, he heard, "Let's go catch a Cloud..." fading out as two other voices start talking at once in an unintelligible  'Testing 123 Approach' to a microphone, blur of words, with shortly another female voice winning out.
"Yes! Sending you data now." MJ politely 'broke in' in a voice that was trying to be helpful, and not authoritative. "Oh, I  Dr. Ailani M. J. Collin, Dr. Lesser, Chif Science Officer, Station Hawkings, here.", the Hindi vs the British side of her accent almost 'winning-out'.

Niles waited, to see if Marty would chime in.  All the time he had been 'double' tasking to try keep ahead of "Cloud", and maintaining 'control' of the situation, by sending Memory Alpha the information request Cathy had suggested 'earlier' and that they fleshed-out. Also, setting-up a separate file, to pool all the data that they already had collected; what would be coming from Memory Alpha and eventually the USS Kepler would send.
Plus, clearing a com-channel for the upcoming virtual audio conference, that was and would be taking place all too soon.

When Marty and Aneko, came on audio clearly at the sametime, in Oreintal/Scot-British accented two word duette:

" Bussard Collectors!"

" Bussard Collectors!?!", MJ chimed in with a eureka tone in her voice.
" Bussard Collectors!", Dr. Lesser duhishly flatly ended the acapella quartet.

Then Niles hand-palmed his forehead. The same thought hit Niles, too, with an audible, mumble :"Oh! Fart! Cloud Fart!"

The  USS Kepler's Chief Science Officer Aneko Mardian, broke the seconds pause 'that seemed' like hours.
"I've almost reconfiguring ship's Bussard collectors."
"By, my Great Uncle Sean.", sighed Marty. "If it be alive it doesn't hav' ta be smart ta fart."

"When I get Bussard Collector data as Keplar approaches Cloud, I will send you it, S Hawkings.", said Kepler's Chief Engineering Officer Mardin.

" I'll be sending our biometric analysis, plus especial any passive probe data we collect when we get close enough to actively trail it." Dr. Lesser added he voice sounding more animated  all the time.
" Both "Us" and It!" he said, out loud. "Cathy, could you check and see if that Memory Alpha data includes a population spread map of the area." he asked in a highly subdued and sincerely polite tone.
While he ran back to his station to run a idea through the computer about a shift in  the clouds possible breeding and feeding 'grounds'.

Cathy kept herself faux-busy with rechecking the scans and searching through the data returned from Mem-Alpha about Thalos VII and Barzan II.  She didn't want to have anything to do with that mess of conference call, even though it was proving useful.  She certainly never would have thought to use the Bussard Collectors to help in determining if the anomaly was alive.

The request for a population spread map seemed a bit odd but Cathy did her best to comply sending him the population density and spread from Thalos VI to Thalos VII over centuries.  The population of Thalosians seemed very long lived in comparison to humans living centuries in fact.  Yet they though they were warp capable the Thalosians tended to stay quite close to their own system and only allowed Starfleet interference in the most dire of situations.   Cathy wondered if this would classify as dire?

A study of the history from both habitable planets in the Thalos system showed that this phenomenon whatever it was... was a reoccurring event that spanned over millennia.  About once for a single night each century the histories of both planets (Thalos VI and Thalos VII) noted that the night sky would turn verdant.  Following this the flora of the planet would thrive for then next 10 years or so before slowly becoming overtaxed producing for an ever growing population.

It was when she read this that Cathy began to look at the system's orbital mechanics.  What she discovered spoke volumes.

"Niles, take a look at this...  this phenomenon or migration has been going on for centuries!  The Thalosians have recorded it since forever..." A bit of an overstatement but she was trying to make point.

"From what I can tell... this gaseous phenomenon is the only thing keeping the Thalos planet systems alive.  Infusing it with a burst of nutrients and elements when the planet passes close to or in this case Thru the cloud of gases"

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 27, 2020, 07:00:48 PM

NPC Cathy Daniels

Cathy kept herself faux-busy with rechecking the scans and searching through the data returned from Mem-Alpha about Thalos VII and Barzan II.  She didn't want to have anything to do with that mess of conference call, even though it was proving useful.  She certainly never would have thought to use the Bussard Collectors to help in determining if the anomaly was alive.

The request for a population spread map seemed a bit odd but Cathy did her best to comply sending him the population density and spread from Thalos VI to Thalos VII over centuries.  The population of Thalosians seemed very long lived in comparison to humans living centuries in fact.  Yet they though they were warp capable the Thalosians tended to stay quite close to their own system and only allowed Starfleet interference in the most dire of situations.   Cathy wondered if this would classify as dire?

A study of the history from both habitable planets in the Thalos system showed that this phenomenon whatever it was... was a reoccurring event that spanned over millennia.  About once for a single night each century the histories of both planets (Thalos VI and Thalos VII) noted that the night sky would turn verdant.  Following this the flora of the planet would thrive for then next 10 years or so before slowly becoming overtaxed producing for an ever growing population.

It was when she read this that Cathy began to look at the system's orbital mechanics.  What she discovered spoke volumes.

"Niles, take a look at this...  this phenomenon or migration has been going on for centuries!  The Thalosians have recorded it since forever..." A bit of an overstatement but she was trying to make point.

"From what I can tell... this gaseous phenomenon is the only thing keeping the Thalos planet systems alive.  Infusing it with a burst of nutrients and elements when the planet passes close to or in this case Thru the cloud of gases"

That last result left Niles out in left field, thinking, "Professor Storr is either up to the 'Old Exploding Prize' surprise in the seemingly harmless box of Cracker Jacks approach."
OR!?! "He's thinking out of the box and taking this Holo-Sim on a different track from the old standard gambit of 'let's see how they handle the old "clash of expanding populations"/ competing territories situation'. "

Both Chief Science Officers (CSO) found the Cathy's Observation very interesting, with S Hawking's  Dr. Ailani M. J. Collin, aka MJ, excitedly enthusiastic and  USS Kepler's Dr Andreas Lesser, let's not go jumping to any rash conclusion  , but both wanting to know more, i.e., let's wait until Kepler catches-up with the Anomaly and can send at least send Passive Probes and collect Active Scanning Data, to supplement the Kepler's Bussard Collector data of Its possible tailings.
ln short, anything out of the "ordinary" It might be leaving in Its 'wake' that would give them a hint that it's even the same thing the Vulcan Science Vessel "Yel Haolvaya" originally recorded and the USS Carpathia encountered later.

Aneko Mardian, the Kepler's Chief Engineering Officer, seemed to be taking polite: 'I'm going to wait until I get more data/ I really have anything I can contribute approach , to the present conversation.
Beside any Kepler Bussard Collector data was going directly to the ship's CSO, Dr. Lesser, and  S Hawkings CSO, Dr. Collin.

But, Marty being Marty chimed in with, "That be well and good then now, Cathy, but what about now?" , pausing to see if someone else would drop the other shoe, or would he.

It was actually Niles, with,"Things do change! It probably has whether It is the 'parent' or the 'child', we're dealing with." , thinking at the sametime ,
"That might be the possible 'exploding' surprise.",
and then adding to his present comment, hopefully in I'm not wanting to rain on your Polly-Anna Parade, tone of voice, " Also if, Thalos VI and VII are like Alpha V, where I'm from, and given approximately an Earth Century since the Cloud's last visit I'll bet they have."

He knew that just dropped another 'where I'm from', but heck that's experience we all draw from our past, and in a  pardon me , if use my past experience in the present tone :
"M J; Cathy, if it isn't in the present information download from the original Memory Alpha query. Query  for an comparative atmospheric analysis between Thalos VI and VII a hundred Terran year and now." , said Niles  trying his best to  sound like an orchestrator and not a dictator, adding "The exchange between the Cloud and the planets would have to be Symbiotic, at least. So, if things have changed drastically enough it could be dangerous for one and/or the other,", Niles concluded.

Dr. Lesser  broke into the conversation, as he sent the first round of Kepler Bussard Collector results, which preliminary result were giving a high probability, if It isn't 'the original' Cloud, It's in family,  with, terse comment,
"We're talking nature not nursery rhymes, here 'the Cloud' alive or not is the active partner in the proposed process exchange and if the people on the planet or at least planetary activity over time has 'soured' the well. No, telling what might happen on either side of the bending exchange process.  So, we've got to come with a game plan to deal with this situation soon. " , he finished in a tone of that was actually beginning, to show sincere coNcern.

Before, Dr. Lesser , could continue or any of the other chime-in.
Capt. Johnson broke in abruptly and matter-a-factly, as usual,  with, "Alright we caught it , and are matching speed at a cosey Kilometer and half ther' abouts, Dr. Lesser."

"Rodger, that, Capt. Johnson." Dr. Lesser replied quickly and drily. "From, what we've learned so far Capt., sir, I would recommend you have Helm monitor the cloud for any possible reaction from the Anomaly." he added, "We don't know how it will react." trying his best not to in a word 'scared'.

"You heard him, Lt. Gonai.", Capt. Johnson ordered,  jocularly.  "Okay, Dr. Lesser, fire when ready." she continued  crisply.

" Cathy, Marty;MJ, you watching this? ", Niles asked as sat glue to his screen as The USS Kepler's data feed come in.
Niles had his station screen set on 'split' as he watched the incoming chemical data one side and a the video on the other.

Rayek trLhoell

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on March 27, 2020, 09:51:08 PM

That last result left Niles out in left field, thinking, "Professor Storr is either up to the 'Old Exploding Prize' surprise in the seemingly harmless box of Cracker Jacks approach."
OR!?! "He's thinking out of the box and taking this Holo-Sim on a different track from the old standard gambit of 'let's see how they handle the old "clash of expanding populations"/ competing territories situation'. "

Both Chief Science Officers (CSO) found the Cathy's Observation very interesting, with S Hawking's  Dr. Ailani M. J. Collin, aka MJ, excitedly enthusiastic and  USS Kepler's Dr Andreas Lesser, let's not go jumping to any rash conclusion  , but both wanting to know more, i.e., let's wait until Kepler catches-up with the Anomaly and can send at least send Passive Probes and collect Active Scanning Data, to supplement the Kepler's Bussard Collector data of Its possible tailings.
ln short, anything out of the "ordinary" It might be leaving in Its 'wake' that would give them a hint that it's even the same thing the Vulcan Science Vessel "Yel Haolvaya" originally recorded and the USS Carpathia encountered later.

Aneko Mardian, the Kepler's Chief Engineering Officer, seemed to be taking polite: 'I'm going to wait until I get more data/ I really have anything I can contribute approach , to the present conversation.
Beside any Kepler Bussard Collector data was going directly to the ship's CSO, Dr. Lesser, and  S Hawkings CSO, Dr. Collin.

But, Marty being Marty chimed in with, "That be well and good then now, Cathy, but what about now?" , pausing to see if someone else would drop the other shoe, or would he.

It was actually Niles, with,"Things do change! It probably has whether It is the 'parent' or the 'child', we're dealing with." , thinking at the sametime ,
"That might be the possible 'exploding' surprise.",
and then adding to his present comment, hopefully in I'm not wanting to rain on your Polly-Anna Parade, tone of voice, " Also if, Thalos VI and VII are like Alpha V, where I'm from, and given approximately an Earth Century since the Cloud's last visit I'll bet they have."

He knew that just dropped another 'where I'm from', but heck that's experience we all draw from our past, and in a  pardon me , if use my past experience in the present tone :
"M J; Cathy, if it isn't in the present information download from the original Memory Alpha query. Query  for an comparative atmospheric analysis between Thalos VI and VII a hundred Terran year and now." , said Niles  trying his best to  sound like an orchestrator and not a dictator, adding "The exchange between the Cloud and the planets would have to be Symbiotic, at least. So, if things have changed drastically enough it could be dangerous for one and/or the other,", Niles concluded.

Dr. Lesser  broke into the conversation, as he sent the first round of Kepler Bussard Collector results, which preliminary result were giving a high probability, if It isn't 'the original' Cloud, It's in family,  with, terse comment,
"We're talking nature not nursery rhymes, here 'the Cloud' alive or not is the active partner in the proposed process exchange and if the people on the planet or at least planetary activity over time has 'soured' the well. No, telling what might happen on either side of the bending exchange process.  So, we've got to come with a game plan to deal with this situation soon. " , he finished in a tone of that was actually beginning, to show sincere coNcern.

Before, Dr. Lesser , could continue or any of the other chime-in.
Capt. Johnson broke in abruptly and matter-a-factly, as usual,  with, "Alright we caught it , and are matching speed at a cosey Kilometer and half ther' abouts, Dr. Lesser."

"Rodger, that, Capt. Johnson." Dr. Lesser replied quickly and drily. "From, what we've learned so far Capt., sir, I would recommend you have Helm monitor the cloud for any possible reaction from the Anomaly." he added, "We don't know how it will react." trying his best not to in a word 'scared'.

"You heard him, Lt. Gonai.", Capt. Johnson ordered,  jocularly.  "Okay, Dr. Lesser, fire when ready." she continued  crisply.

" Cathy, Marty;MJ, you watching this? ", Niles asked as sat glue to his screen as The USS Kepler's data feed come in.
Niles had his station screen set on 'split' as he watched the incoming chemical data one side and a the video on the other.

Listening to the others discuss the situation, Cathy kept hearing the others refer to the gaseous anomaly as if it were alive...  'parent' or 'child' and talking about things being 'symbiotic'.  This baffled the enlisted recruit.  Was there something in the data that definitively confirmed it as alive?  If so, she wasn't seeing it.  And that made her feel rather out of her league amidst the others.  Even the holo-program officers were onboard with it being alive.  Which must make it so... but still she couldn't see it.

When Niles asked her to look back at the historical atmospheric readings, Cathy was glad to be able to do something constructive.  From the conversation, she got that they seemed to think there would be some sort of negative transference from the planet to the 'Cloud' - or from the 'Cloud' to the planet.  Niles comment about his own planet seemed to imply that the atmospheric make-up might have changed to the point of being problematic.   But what Cathy saw in the historical results.. disproved that. The atmospheric readings were pretty much level and had been for close to 2 millennia.

Cathy had to remind herself that Thalians were a long lived species. (It said something about a people when they aged their food for centuries.)  They apparently didn't go through the population spikes like younger shorter lived species did.  What the data showed however was long standing cycle spanning over three thousand years.  A cycle of slow depletion over the course of a hundred years or more and then an influx of nutrients and renewal just following the passing of the phenomenon.

Yet while there was some variation of the atmospheric conditions, there didn't seem to be anything hugely different this time around.  This just seemed to be the phenomenons natural cycle.  It was just that this time it had Starfleet's attention.

Cathy sent these findings to Niles and the others for their review.  Maybe they'd have some other interpretation of the data.

She was just about to call attention to this when Niles called for her to look at the viewscreen.

Cathy blinked, unsure what to make of the reaction.  Part of her wanted to say the 'Cloud' seemed upset at the 'probing' but that was a personification of the phenomenon and she really shouldn't be doing that.  Actually the more she watched the way it moved it reminded her of not a single entity - following on their premise that it was alive and not just gases being moved about on cosmic winds and currents as yet unknown - but rather a murmuration of smaller lifeforms like starlings on Earth.

But she dared not say any of this, feeling like her theories on this were unwelcome and would be dismissed.   Right now Cathy just wanted the whole holo-program to be over with.

"What's it mean?" she asked.

Niles James McCulloch

Quote from: Rayek trLhoell on March 29, 2020, 12:13:53 AM

Listening to the others discuss the situation, Cathy kept hearing the others refer to the gaseous anomaly as if it were alive...  'parent' or 'child' and talking about things being 'symbiotic'.  This baffled the enlisted recruit.  Was there something in the data that definitively confirmed it as alive?  If so, she wasn't seeing it.  And that made her feel rather out of her league amidst the others.  Even the holo-program officers were onboard with it being alive.  Which must make it so... but still she couldn't see it.

When Niles asked her to look back at the historical atmospheric readings, Cathy was glad to be able to do something constructive.  From the conversation, she got that they seemed to think there would be some sort of negative transference from the planet to the 'Cloud' - or from the 'Cloud' to the planet.  Niles comment about his own planet seemed to imply that the atmospheric make-up might have changed to the point of being problematic.   But what Cathy saw in the historical results.. disproved that. The atmospheric readings were pretty much level and had been for close to 2 millennia.

Cathy had to remind herself that Thalians were a long lived species. (It said something about a people when they aged their food for centuries.)  They apparently didn't go through the population spikes like younger shorter lived species did.  What the data showed however was long standing cycle spanning over three thousand years.  A cycle of slow depletion over the course of a hundred years or more and then an influx of nutrients and renewal just following the passing of the phenomenon.

Yet while there was some variation of the atmospheric conditions, there didn't seem to be anything hugely different this time around.  This just seemed to be the phenomenons natural cycle.  It was just that this time it had Starfleet's attention.

Cathy sent these findings to Niles and the others for their review.  Maybe they'd have some other interpretation of the data.

She was just about to call attention to this when Niles called for her to look at the viewscreen.

Cathy blinked, unsure what to make of the reaction.  Part of her wanted to say the 'Cloud' seemed upset at the 'probing' but that was a personification of the phenomenon and she really shouldn't be doing that.  Actually the more she watched the way it moved it reminded her of not a single entity - following on their premise that it was alive and not just gases being moved about on cosmic winds and currents as yet unknown - but rather a murmuration of smaller lifeforms like starlings on Earth.

But she dared not say any of this, feeling like her theories on this were unwelcome and would be dismissed.   Right now Cathy just wanted the whole holo-program to be over with.

"What's it mean?" she asked.

The Anomaly, aka "the Cloud", whether or not IT was 'Alive' and/or something 'In' It was too, that seemed to be benefiting longitudinally from coming to the Thalos System. That was  slowly becoming obvious to Niles.
Niles also, assumed everyone involved in the exercise, i.e., Cathy, and the Virtual Others seemed to be coming to the same conclusion.
But, he couldn't  ditch the feeling something-else was going on here.  Because Niles  viewed Professor Storr as that "Fun Loving" Uncle who when he gives you a 'Cigar'. You take 'It' with the feeling that 'It's' going Blow-Up in your face. In short, there had to a be a developing problem/situation here, that Cathy and him were suppose to figure-out/deal-with, or what's the point of the exercise.
He continued to think as he watched the Kepler Probe data come-in and video image feed information, that maybe It wasn't "the Cloud" that was so much "the problem" as that the Professor wanted to see how Cathy and him handled new situations/problems.
Starting with the "Rocky" the 'Silicon Guerilla' Scenario, where just Cathy and him were involved. Progressing on to see how Cathy and him would act, react and interact with each other.  And now in this scenario  how they would act, react and interact with others in different/new situations/problems.
Because in the Real 'World/ 'Space' things likes these would happen  expectedly  or unexpectedly.
Heck! Niles wouldn't put it past Professor Storr having someone report back to him how Cathy and Yennifer's pending 'Dorm Party' went,when it happened. Just to see how Cathy, himself, and the other recruits acted, reacted and interacted socially, because that was/is an important dynamic on short and even more importantly on long term 'away missions'.

By now the S Hawkings Astrometrics Computer was a ready to present its primary analysis/synthesis/ 'conclusions', from all the data that was now in from the USS Kepler's probe and all the other sources and information-input available to it, that is if anyone was interested.  In short,  IT entoned: " I'm ready to report."
"Okay! What have you got for us?", Niles asked in a friendly inclusive tone of voice, like the Astrometrics' computer was just another member, of their team. Because, at least to Niles anyway, It was/is a very important part of the team.
"Preliminary Analysis, of the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly is as follows. One) Is It and/or any of Its constituting components Alive?  50 to 75 percent probably exists given present  data and the Present analysis parameters, for determining It is Alive.   Such as It does in fact  act, react and interact, to Its environment. Notably, to being probed and Its cataloged actions, reactions and interactions with the Thalos System, mainly planets Thalos VI  and VII.
In Short, It is an 'Active' versus an "Inactive" System, to posit the correct term in linguistic databases in Earth English it's 'Lively'. In, this regard recommend you review encounter with USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, referent Capt. James T. Kirk's logs circa  star date 4308.8. Caveat, the present Anomaly at this time seems benign, and It's gaseous versus the Enterprise Anomaly, being 'organically plasmatic'.  Also, see sub referent USS Enterprise-D logs circa  star date 44614.6.
Two) Is the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly, a Sentient Being. No real confirming data, especially given present analysis parameters of the term Sentient.  Leaving to You decide whether IT is 'Intelligent'.  It does exhibit ability of self propulsion by means yet to be determined. Plus, It has the ability to navigate. It has yet to react defensively to USS Kepler's probe despite, Its peripheral interaction to the Anomaly's outer gaseous layers.
Three) It can not be confirmed whether the present Anomaly is same one as the original Anomaly encountered by the Vulcan Science Survey Vessel  Yel Haolvaya.  'They' are all of similar composition. Though the Vulcan sited one and the present one are of a denser nature  than the one USS Carpathia encountered.
The present ones silicon crystal are beginning to cluster into two different and increasingly separate coherent formations.  This finding is similar to the Yel Haolvaya readings before they witnessed the bifurcation phenomena, that took place in the Thalos System 'Oort Cloud'. Using possible "living being" analogy this Anomaly could be ready to bifurcate/'birth".
Finally, the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly from all information gathered at present; barring any incoming data to the contrary,  has an 85 to 95 percent probability that IT has a symbiotic relationship with  the Thalos Star System, Thalos VI and VII in particular, at 'present',i.e., since being observed and that relationship has taken place in the past.
Presently there is a possible negative impact. Repeat. There is a possible negative impact on either Thalos VI and VII if
the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly 's bifurcation phenomena takes places in the Orbital Gravity Well of either planet.
With a 100% impact probability on either planets Biome predicted if the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly's bifurcation phenomena takes places in either of these planets' Orbital Gravity Well.
THus recommending if, Planet Wide Defensive Red Alert is already not in place advise doing it immediately.
This is ends of auditory primary of summary of data, for more detailed information make either voice and/or keyboard inquiries, Thank You!"

"Thank You, Computer." Niles replied think "Uncle Storr's" cigar just exploded.

Before Niles, could say anythingelse, the USS Kepler's Dr Andreas Lesser, said with crackly dry crispness, "I'll inform Capt. Johnson immediately, of your computers finding, S Hawkings, out."

Niles, immediately informed Colonel Handover, of the computer findings.

"Good Work!  All of you!", the Colonel said with congratulatory enthusiasm. "Now! It's time to do my job.", he finished forgoing any sign off formalities.

"Cathy, get us an updated ETA , on the Anomaly, to the Thalos System, and see if IT's  still headed toward either Thalos VI or VII, or to some spot in Thalos Systems Oort Cloud." said as non-orderly as possible.

Niles gave himself a mental "High-Five" saying, over the Astrometrics' conference channel that been established with S Hawkings  Engineering and Science Section, "MJ, Marty, Cathy will be joining us shortly, with an updated Anomaly ETA and course to the Thalos System."

"WE've got our work cut out for us; the clock is running, and if our 'Cloud Cow', doesn't give any indication of slowing down to stop in ,or,  of course change to the Thalos System's Oort Cloud. We've got find someway of getting it to." Niles said just loud of so Cathy could hear him.   He continued with," The Kepler will be rejoining us soon, but they're kinda busy right now."  , he added while he switching his station's main view screen back to tracking the USS Kepler and the Anomaly's courses.

He watched as the Kepler skirted the Anomaly closely slowing, for a moment presumably either to Transport or Tractor Beam their probe back aboard then warp-off toward the Thalos System. Knowing cautious people like Dr. Lesser that probe had  Sampling Equipment aboard, figuring that's why the Kepler slowed before before it took off.

"Okay, unless Dr. Lesser and Chief of Engineering Mardian, figure something out before we do we got to figure-out how to 'herd' a  Cloud, because if the Kepler has to kill the "Little Darling".   ... Well let's just hope i doesn't come to that.  Ideas Anyone? , Niles said hopefully conveying the intent he wanted to set the stage and not direct their head banging session. He knew that the clock was running-out unless Cathy could give them the news he hoped for.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==========================================================================
Look I'm saying things change and I'm not saying it is  intentionally  dangerous all I'm saying every two hundred Earth Years IT Bifurcates/ Breeds and as long as IT Bifurcates/ Breeds in Thalos System's Oort Cloud...You do know what an Oort Cloud* is, Sinthija, all is safe.
*(Oort cloud: a spherical cloud of small rocky and icy bodies postulated to orbit the sun beyond the orbit of a Planetary systems outer most planet's orbit  and in Earth case  beyond Pluto orbit and the Kuiper belt , and to be the source of comets. Its existence was proposed by J. H. Oort.

)
All you have to do is get Cathy to say that's where The Anomaly is heading by ,
1) Pulling-up Short in the Thalos System's Oort Cloud, before it gets to Thalos VI  and VII.
OR
2) Shows signs of changing course toward Thalos System's Oort Cloud and not Thalos VI  and VII.
And all is well!!!!!
If you Really Read my reply post that's What Niles is hoping Cathy's latest report  on the Anomaly's ETA/course finding will show and they can all stand down and  You can have Professor Storr end their Training Holo-Simm, unless you think  Professor Storr would 'like' to see how they handle situational/problem end result resolution.[/color][/size][/font][/b][/i]

John Saxon

Mister Niles, you are cordially invited to attend your new Academy Training Course (ATC) which can be found via this link.

I await you there.

Kindest regards,
Lt John Saxon
Academy Instructor

Rayek trLhoell

(OOC -  Sorry Niles... this is why quickly dropped my Torra character from the Science department on Disco... this all too overwhelming for me - the player.  I will try to muddle my way through but I'd appreciate simpler posts in the future.. I am struggling with the science of this.

I've broken up your post below into clear paragraphs.. and removed your superfluous capitals..  to make it easier for me to see what I need to reply to)

Quote from: Niles James McCulloch on March 29, 2020, 09:45:14 AM

The Anomaly, aka the Cloud, whether or not it was alive and/or something in it was too, that seemed to be benefiting longitudinally from coming to the Thalos System. That was  slowly becoming obvious to Niles.

Niles also, assumed everyone involved in the exercise, i.e., Cathy, and the Virtual Others seemed to be coming to the same conclusion.

But, he couldn't ditch the feeling something else was going on here.  Because Niles  viewed Professor Storr as that fun loving Uncle who when he gives you a 'cigar',  you take it with the feeling that its going blow-up in your face. In short, there had to a be a developing problem/situation here, that Cathy and him were suppose to figure-out/deal-with, or what's the point of the exercise?

He continued to think as he watched the Kepler probe data come-in and video image feed information, that maybe it wasn't the Cloud that was so much the problem as that the Professor wanted to see how Cathy and him handled new situations/problems.

Starting with the 'Rocky', the 'Silicon Gorilla' Scenario, where just Cathy and him were involved. Progressing on to see how Cathy and him would act, react and interact with each other.  And now in this scenario  how they would act, react and interact with others in different/new situations/problems.

Because in the real world/space things likes these would happen expectedly or unexpectedly.

Heck! Niles wouldn't put it past Professor Storr having someone report back to him how Cathy and Yennifer's pending dorm darty went, when it happened. Just to see how Cathy, himself, and the other recruits acted, reacted and interacted socially, because that was/is an important dynamic on short and even more importantly on long term 'away missions'.

By now the S Hawkings Astrometrics computer was a ready to present its primary analysis/synthesis/ 'conclusions', from all the data that was now in from the USS Kepler's probe and all the other sources and information-input available to it, that is if anyone was interested.  In short,  it intoned: "I'm ready to report."

"Okay! What have you got for us?", Niles asked in a friendly inclusive tone of voice, like the Astrometrics' computer was just another member, of their team. Because, at least to Niles anyway, It was/is a very important part of the team.

"Preliminary Analysis, of the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly is as follows.
One) Is it and/or any of Its constituting components alive?  50 to 75 percent probably exists given present data and the present analysis parameters, for determining it is alive.   Such as it does in fact act, react and interact, to its environment. Notably, to being probed and its cataloged actions, reactions and interactions with the Thalos System, mainly planets Thalos VI  and VII.

In short, at is an 'Active' versus an 'Inactive' system, to posit the correct term in linguistic databases in Earth English it's 'Lively'. In this regard recommend you review encounter with USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, referent Capt. James T. Kirk's logs circa  star date 4308.8. Caveat, the present Anomaly at this time seems benign, and It's gaseous versus the Enterprise Anomaly, being 'organically plasmatic'.  Also, see sub referent USS Enterprise-D logs circa  star date 44614.6.

Two) Is the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly, a Sentient Being. No real confirming data, especially given present analysis parameters of the term Sentient.  Leaving to you decide whether it is 'intelligent'.  It does exhibit ability of self propulsion by means yet to be determined. Plus, it has the ability to navigate. It has yet to react defensively to USS Kepler's probe despite, its peripheral interaction to the Anomaly's outer gaseous layers.

Three) It can not be confirmed whether the present anomaly is same one as the original anomaly encountered by the Vulcan Science Survey Vessel  Yel Haolvaya.  They are all of similar composition. Though the Vulcan sighted one and the present one are of a denser nature  than the one USS Carpathia encountered.
The present one's silicon crystal are beginning to cluster into two different and increasingly separate coherent formations.  This finding is similar to the Yel Haolvaya readings before they witnessed the bifurcation phenomena, that took place in the Thalos System 'Oort Cloud'. Using possible 'living being' analogy this Anomaly could be ready to bifurcate/'birth".

Finally, the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly from all information gathered at present; barring any incoming data to the contrary,  has an 85 to 95 percent probability that it has a symbiotic relationship with the Thalos Star System, Thalos VI and VII in particular, at 'present',i.e., since being observed and that relationship has taken place in the past.

Presently there is a possible negative impact. Repeat. There is a possible negative impact on either Thalos VI and VII if the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly 's bifurcation phenomena takes places in the Orbital Gravity Well of either planet.  With a 100% impact probability on either planets Biome predicted if the Thalos-Barzan Anomaly's bifurcation phenomena takes places in either of these planets' Orbital Gravity Well.

Thus recommending if planet wide defensive Red Alert is already not in place advise doing it immediately.

This is end of auditory primary of summary of data, for more detailed information make either voice and/or keyboard inquiries, Thank you!"

"Thank you, Computer." Niles replied think 'Uncle Storr's' cigar just exploded.

Before Niles, could say anything else, the USS Kepler's Dr Andreas Lesser, said with crackly dry crispness, "I'll inform Capt. Johnson immediately, of your computers finding, S Hawkings, out."

Niles, immediately informed Colonel Handover, of the computer findings.

"Good Work!  All of you!", the Colonel said with congratulatory enthusiasm. "Now! It's time to do my job.", he finished forgoing any sign off formalities.

"Cathy, get us an updated ETA , on the Anomaly, to the Thalos System, and see if IT's  still headed toward either Thalos VI or VII, or to some spot in Thalos Systems Oort Cloud." said as non-orderly as possible.

Niles gave himself a mental 'High-Five' saying, over the Astrometrics' conference channel that been established with S Hawkings  Engineering and Science Section, "MJ, Marty, Cathy will be joining us shortly, with an updated Anomaly ETA and course to the Thalos System."

"We've got our work cut out for us; the clock is running, and if our 'Cloud Cow', doesn't give any indication of slowing down to stop in ,or,  of course change to the Thalos System's Oort Cloud. We've got find someway of getting it to." Niles said just loud of so Cathy could hear him.   He continued with," The Kepler will be rejoining us soon, but they're kinda busy right now."  , he added while he switching his station's main view screen back to tracking the USS Kepler and the Anomaly's courses.

He watched as the Kepler skirted the Anomaly closely slowing, for a moment presumably either to Transport or Tractor Beam their probe back aboard then warp-off toward the Thalos System. Knowing cautious people like Dr. Lesser that probe had  Sampling Equipment aboard, figuring that's why the Kepler slowed before it took off.

"Okay, unless Dr. Lesser and Chief of Engineering Mardian, figure something out before we do we got to figure-out how to 'herd' a  Cloud, because if the Kepler has to kill the 'Little Darling'.   ... Well let's just hope I doesn't come to that.  Ideas Anyone? , Niles said hopefully conveying the intent he wanted to set the stage and not direct their head banging session. He knew that the clock was running-out unless Cathy could give them the news he hoped for.

Cathy listened to the computers analysis of things. Everything seemed to be exactly as Niles had suggested - and completely opposite of what she'd been thinking.  As such, she couldn't help but feel that she was so out of her league with this science-gig thing.

Maybe it wasn't too late to switch to the Hospitality Services department of Operations?  Or maybe Administration Services?  She'd make a really attractive yeoman for some high up Admiral, she bet.  'It would certainly be better than this embarrassment,' she thought sourly while Niles and others discussed the next steps.

She was already part way into the mental planning of her training transfer letter when Cathy heard her name.  She blinked vacantly at Niles a second, before coming to her senses.  "Um.. sure.. one sec."

Turning back to the console she sat in front of, Cathy checked the relative distance and current speed.

"The Anomaly/Cloud... whatever we are calling it, it's slowing down."   Cathy wondered if that was proof that the anomaly was alive.  The computer seemed to think so.

"It's ETA at Thalos VII is at over a day now and increasing.  If this continues... it may stop completely prior to arriving or just at the edge of the system."

Then something clicked..  "The Oort-Cloud.  That's where it's headed, not the planet."  Cathy realized she might be jumping the gun with that statement.  She had no proof.. but it just felt right.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.