Help Wanted

Started by Rayek trLhoell, November 15, 2020, 01:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess tLhoell

NPC Juraan Ren
[Mars capital city - entertainment district - Long Shots]

Juraan wordlessly moved with the other two to the booth and waited until the kid had made space for him before he slid into the seat next to her. "My name is Juraan."

As he listened to Cathy he very much could relate to her words. He chuckled to himself. It was a chuckle of bitterness. Leaning back he looked to Finn. "Yes, I've made a bad decision too ... or rather more than one." He pondered if he should mention that he was ex-Starfleet. It could suggest to his probable boss excellent training. But it also could scare him off, especially if there was some shady business the guy was involved in.

"I need a job because -" He faltered briefly to find the right word. "I have bills to pay. I worked as a doctor for a while. I was married. But all of that is gone now." He let Finn put together himself what that meant. "Distractions are welcome."

Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography (updated Nov 14th, 2020) - Previous name: Tess Moreno

Finn Moreno

The light back here was low and the music too loud. Not an ideal setting for a job interview. At least not for a normal one. This wasn't a normal one.
"I don't care about your personal stories and past...not for the job anyway. Only if there's someone after you, who might shoot up my ship. Or if you IDs cause red flags to go up. I deliver to the Federation as well as other species and organizations. I can't have my crew members be criminals. So I'll run a background check on you."
Which was illegal as well because Finn had to buy those access codes to the network on the black market.

Having a doctor on board could, however, be useful.
"If you're both okay with my terms I'll hire you both and we'll see what you can do on our first run. Juuran will get 2 strips of Latinum. It's a 4 day job. You get paid based on your performance."
He twisted the glass in his fingers, then picked it up and waited for them to do the same thing.

Rayek trLhoell

NPC Cathy Daniels

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on November 21, 2020, 12:50:01 PM

NPC Juraan Ren

Juraan wordlessly moved with the other two to the booth and waited until the kid had made space for him before he slid into the seat next to her. "My name is Juraan."

As he listened to Cathy he very much could relate to her words. He chuckled to himself. It was a chuckle of bitterness. Leaning back he looked to Finn. "Yes, I've made a bad decision too ... or rather more than one." He pondered if he should mention that he was ex-Starfleet. It could suggest to his probable boss excellent training. But it also could scare him off, especially if there was some shady business the guy was involved in.

"I need a job because -" He faltered briefly to find the right word. "I have bills to pay. I worked as a doctor for a while. I was married. But all of that is gone now." He let Finn put together himself what that meant. "Distractions are welcome."

Quote from: Finn Moreno on November 21, 2020, 02:20:14 PM

The light back here was low and the music too loud. Not an ideal setting for a job interview. At least not for a normal one. This wasn't a normal one.
"I don't care about your personal stories and past...not for the job anyway. Only if there's someone after you, who might shoot up my ship. Or if you IDs cause red flags to go up. I deliver to the Federation as well as other species and organizations. I can't have my crew members be criminals. So I'll run a background check on you."
Which was illegal as well because Finn had to buy those access codes to the network on the black market.

Having a doctor on board could, however, be useful.
"If you're both okay with my terms I'll hire you both and we'll see what you can do on our first run. Juuran will get 2 strips of Latinum. It's a 4 day job. You get paid based on your performance."
He twisted the glass in his fingers, then picked it up and waited for them to do the same thing.

The Bajoran, Juraan, seemed to understand where she was coming from and to accept her privacy.  The Captain too.

Cathy bit at her bottom lip as she listened to the Captain Moreno's declaration that he didn't care about their past... but then clarified that only if it didn't mean that they weren't being hunted... which Cathy wasn't altogether sure how Starfleet dealt with deserters.   She was rather certain that if she used her real credentials they would be tracked and the ship called on to relinquish her.. that's how they portrayed these sort of things in the holonovels she watched.

It was so exciting in the stories.  In real life, being chased for the rest of her life was rather intimidating - but not more so than remaining enlisted, or going to prison.   Her birthday had just past so even if they allowed her to reneged on enlistment - she'd be headed to jail and not merely rehabilitation.  This was so messed up.  How she got into this sort of trouble always eluded her.  She wasn't a bad person.   She just made stupid decisions.   She hoped this wouldn't be considered one.

From Niles' uncle she'd obtained false ID that she'd been told would match with her bio-scans and fool most cursory checks.  Cathy hoped so.

She wasn't pleased that the Captain was basing her pay on performance but she only really needed this job to get her away from Mars and maybe to some non-Federation world where she could get a fresh start.   "Sure thing, boss.  You won't regret this."

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Tess tLhoell

NPC Juraan Ren
[Long Shots - Bar]

At the mention of delivering to the Federation, Juraan cursed inwardly. Of course. That opportunity would have been too perfect. But the Captain seemed to want to have him in the team, so he might get away with it.

Clearing his throat he looked at Finn. "I'm not keen on sharing that info but I probably should. I was in Starfleet. But was discharged because the Captain thought it was a good idea to have a Cardassian on board." Juraan was still bitter about that. Even more so since his Captain has been a Bajoran himself. He had not grown in that regard to recognize that it was his own fault.

Pushing those thoughts aside he focused on the topic at hand. "If your Federation business partners don't care about that, we shouldn't have a problem. Otherwise ... I'll need to be someone else." Meant he needed Finn's help to get a fake ID.

"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."

Finn Moreno

[Long Shots - Bar]
The news weren't good news but all in all Finn didn't really care.
"Nobody has ever asked about my crews past. No one cares. We pick up goods, deliver them, get paid. That's as easy as it is."

He looked from one to the other. Were these two really a replacement for I'huan? He had been a great partner. He had also been on board to delivered protected plants from one planet to the next, a highly illegal action, which was just as highly paid.
These two probably wouldn't agree to such scam.

"Alright....looks like I've got my new crew. I've got a short run planned...we'll see how we all work together and whether we want to stay together. Tomorrow. At the loading docks- tonight we drink!"
He raised his glass with a mischievous grin. Finn loved a good buzz and this was a great test to see what kind of people these new employees were.

Tess tLhoell

NPC Juraan Ren
[Long Shots - Bar]

If his past wasn't a problem, then Juraan wouldn't have a problem at all. Raising his glass to clink with Finn and Cathy, Juraan nodded and downed a large gulp of it without blinking an eyelid.

"So, we know nothing about you yet. Where do you come from? Earth?", Juraan wanted to know. There were some species that looked like humans but were none. Any potential psionic or other abilities Juraan would like to know of.

Rayek trLhoell

NPC Cathy Daniels

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on November 25, 2020, 10:59:38 AM

NPC Juraan Ren
[Long Shots - Bar]

At the mention of delivering to the Federation, Juraan cursed inwardly. Of course. That opportunity would have been too perfect. But the Captain seemed to want to have him in the team, so he might get away with it.

Clearing his throat he looked at Finn. "I'm not keen on sharing that info but I probably should. I was in Starfleet. But was discharged because the Captain thought it was a good idea to have a Cardassian on board." Juraan was still bitter about that. Even more so since his Captain has been a Bajoran himself. He had not grown in that regard to recognize that it was his own fault.

Pushing those thoughts aside he focused on the topic at hand. "If your Federation business partners don't care about that, we shouldn't have a problem. Otherwise ... I'll need to be someone else." Meant he needed Finn's help to get a fake ID.

Quote from: Finn Moreno on November 25, 2020, 12:03:36 PM

[Long Shots - Bar]
The news weren't good news but all in all Finn didn't really care.
"Nobody has ever asked about my crews past. No one cares. We pick up goods, deliver them, get paid. That's as easy as it is."

He looked from one to the other. Were these two really a replacement for I'huan? He had been a great partner. He had also been on board to delivered protected plants from one planet to the next, a highly illegal action, which was just as highly paid.
These two probably wouldn't agree to such scam.

"Alright....looks like I've got my new crew. I've got a short run planned...we'll see how we all work together and whether we want to stay together. Tomorrow. At the loading docks- tonight we drink!"
He raised his glass with a mischievous grin. Finn loved a good buzz and this was a great test to see what kind of people these new employees were.

Hearing that the Bajoran had been in Starfleet, Cathy cast a sidelong look towards the man.  Would he be able to recognize Starfleet training in another?  She'd heard that some thought that all Starfleet were the same.   Albeit, the drunk at the time had been referring Academy cadets and officers... not crewmen and recruits.   But still.. was there a certain quality to a person that made them fit in with Starfleet.

Well, if so Cathy didn't have that quality - so she should be safe from being discovered.

"If you need ID, I know someone who can probably help," she offered up before realizing that maybe that wasn't the smartest thing to admit to know... cause it might call into question her own ID.  But then who else other than her own dumb self would make that type of mistake.

At the toast, Cathy raised her glass and joined in.  She wasn't much of a drinker.  She tended to get drunk way too fast and then be a little reckless.  Which was kinda the reason she ended up in Starfleet in the first place.  She'd gone out drinking hanging with the wrong crowd and gotten herself into a bit of trouble.  The judge who had overseen her sentencing had offered her a choice between service in Starfleet as an alternative to 2 years jail-time - had promoted it as a character-building opportunity for her - now that she was an adult.

Cathy had been stupid to think she might actually fit in with a reputable organization like that.  With Niles' help she'd tried to make a go of it... and it sort of worked until recently when the Professor broke up their duo and tried to have Cathy learn the Science stuff on her own.  She'd failed hard.  Overall, she had enough to graduate but the proof was irrefutable... on her own she couldn't hack it.

That was when Cathy knew that unless she was assigned a ship assignment with Niles, her absolute lack of knowledge would be glaringly obvious.  Starfleet wasn't for her.  But then neither was jail.  That left running as her only other option.

She knew she should see about finding a place to sleep for the night and not risk blowing her chance at slipping the noose of Starfleet, but bad decisions were sorta her thing.

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on November 30, 2020, 10:52:24 AM

NPC Juraan Ren
[Long Shots - Bar]

If his past wasn't a problem, then Juraan wouldn't have a problem at all. Raising his glass to clink with Finn and Cathy, Juraan nodded and downed a large gulp of it without blinking an eyelid.

"So, we know nothing about you yet. Where do you come from? Earth?", Juraan wanted to know. There were some species that looked like humans but were none. Any potential psionic or other abilities Juraan would like to know of.

When Juraan asked Finn about himself, Cathy nodded indicating she too was interested in knowing more about him.

Finn Moreno

[Long Shots]
His new crew seemed to half a half shady past combined with some sappy hardships stories...they fit him perfectly and now they wanted to know more about him. Right now, during their first meeting, Finn wasn't about to tell them everything they might want to know. Just the necessities.
"I'm the one, who will be paying you. I think that's enough for now....but don't worry. There's no warrant out there for me. So you won't be facing any troubles being on my crew....and yes, I'm from Earth- plain ole human."
That was it. He wouldn't tell them anymore right now.

Tess tLhoell

NPC Juraan Ren
[Long Shots - Bar]

When Cathy mentioned she knew someone who could help to get him a fake ID, Juraan looked at her rather surprised. Maybe he underestimated her a little bit. "Do you?", he asked with still doubtful. "And you're sure the person does a good job?"

When Finn refused to tell them anything about himself Juraan shrugged to himself. If he didn't want to he wouldn't try any further. Finn said it himself - the most important thing was he was paying them and for that they didn't need to know anything about him.

Rayek trLhoell

NPC Cathy Daniels

Quote from: Finn Moreno on December 08, 2020, 11:13:46 AM

[Long Shots]
His new crew seemed to half a half shady past combined with some sappy hardships stories...they fit him perfectly and now they wanted to know more about him. Right now, during their first meeting, Finn wasn't about to tell them everything they might want to know. Just the necessities.
"I'm the one, who will be paying you. I think that's enough for now....but don't worry. There's no warrant out there for me. So you won't be facing any troubles being on my crew....and yes, I'm from Earth- plain ole human."
That was it. He wouldn't tell them anymore right now.

Quote from: Tess tLhoell on January 07, 2021, 02:20:36 PM

NPC Juraan Ren
[Long Shots - Bar]

When Cathy mentioned she knew someone who could help to get him a fake ID, Juraan looked at her rather surprised. Maybe he underestimated her a little bit. "Do you?", he asked with still doubtful. "And you're sure the person does a good job?"

When Finn refused to tell them anything about himself Juraan shrugged to himself. If he didn't want to he wouldn't try any further. Finn said it himself - the most important thing was he was paying them and for that they didn't need to know anything about him.

"I'm human too.. from Earth not one of the colonies." Cathy added in when Finn mentioned he was just plain ole' human.  She then looked to Juraan and answered him. "Yeah I'm serious.  I already told you I know a guy who knows someone from the Syndicate.  My friend says their Uncle can forge quality grade ID's.  Obviously I don't have proof of that but I trust my friend.  So yeah if you're serious, I can get in touch with him for ya.  But it'll cost you... on his end not mine.  I'm not looking to get finders fee."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.