Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrie McGellen

Character Details

Character Name: Lawrie (Lawrence) McGellen
Character Age: 35
Character DOB: 10 October
Character Image:
Character Species: Human
Character Family: Dad - Dr Alistair McGellen, rural doctor in Roslin near Edinburgh.  Mother - Mary, now retired officially but still works as receptionist for Alistair she was formerly an Anaesthetist.  Siblings Oliver is a photographer, Ben is a solicitor and Betty is a musicial - saxaphone

Mother and Father now deceased (old age and in the case of Mum, dementia), Oliver got run over while shooting a race meeting and has never come out of a coma, Ben went to take a court case somewhere in the Gamma Quadrant and disappeared.  Betty had a row with Lawrie over going back to the Fleet and they don't talk.

Character Bio:

Lawrie initially was training to be a paediatrician but during his final year at University his fiancée was attacked after a party that he'd refused to go to with her, citing that he needed to study for exams (he did actually but that wasn't the point she was trying to get him to relax for once...something that Lawrie NEVER does).  It was only his room mate coming in screaming that Jane had been stabbed and raped that got Lawrie moving like greased lightning but he was too late, she died despite his best efforts to save her.

She asked him to take on what she would have done, become a GP.  For several months he was in limbo not wanting to do anything then his father told him to buck up (His dad, imagine Sean Connery!) as he would one day be taking over the practice as neither of his brothers were medically minded.

He completed his studies and graduated as a doctor.  He worked for a few years in his father's practice but was constantly reminded of Jane everywhere he looked so with his parents blessing he applied to join the Fleet as a doctor.

He never made it off Starbase Horizon so he took a sabbatical and returned to Earth for a few months to see if that would clear his head, working at HQ in SF.  After the death of his father he had to return to the village practice to take over, until it was amalgamated with a larger practice in a nearby town.  He found that his heart was mended but his mind wasn't there, he wanted to be in space again... so now he's back and ready for action and who knows... for love?

Your Details

Previous Role-Playing Experience: Shadowfleet, I'm Hrafn/Ruth/Paige
Department Preference: Medical
Secondary Department Preference: Science
Commissioned, Enlisted or Civilian: Commissioned

Sample post:

Sickbay

Lawrie raised one eyebrow at the patient.  "So...ye think that was bad?  A little hypo prick?!  I couldae just hacked ye leg off without any anesthizine."

He watched the man go pale.  "Oh for heavens sake man, whist!  I was only messing with ye.  You've got a slight cold and the cut on your leg became infected.  I've got rid of the infection, that's what the hypo was for once I'd cleaned out the bits of burned trouser from it.  I've used the dermal regenerator to patch you up, the hypo to sort out any possible infection and you're good to go.  So go, and try not to get yourself phaser'd again!"

It wasn't that Lawrie was heartless, he just didn't have the patience for people in Shadowfleet that fainted at the sight of blood.  Especially not medical cadets that had got themselves in a mess on the training range.

Muttering to himself ' ...some of them should be droon'd at berth...' he stomped over to the replicator to start replenishing the stocks of frequently used drugs.

Additional information: Lawrie is a Scottish cynical SOB, his speciality is Virology and Toxicology.

Lawrie made Ensign before the reshuffle but was put into 'storage' as I wasn't sure if I'd be allowed 4 chars!

UPDATE APRIL 2019:  (Found this snippet that I'd written to cover Lawrie's absence)
He joined the fleet but had to go back when his father (who was about 20 years older than his Mum) died of old age and someone had to manage the practice, his Mum now unable to as she has dementia.  So he took over the little medical practice until it got amalgamated with a larger one in the next town over due to government cut backs, and he returned to the fleet, first to HQ in San Francisco and later to USS Shran.

He's never forgotten Jane, he often drinks himself to sleep on whisky to stop seeing her face in his dreams, and if he is drunk but not passed out you'll hear him playing laments on his bagpipes in the early hours....

Almost died of Chirocytosis - perfected the anti virus with the help of the crew of USS Shran.

How did you find Shadow Fleet? I'm already a player

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.