News:

The Federation Ban on Synthetic Life has been lifted.

Main Menu

Covalent - Reporting In - 06/16/18

Started by Julia Rellek, June 16, 2018, 10:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia Rellek

Covalent, welcome to Shadowfleet. You may post your application here. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Volskene

Character Name: Volskene
Character Age: 52 years
Character DOB: 2344
Character Image: https://i.imgur.com/eD6EYFP.png (Drawn by https://scoutspartan157.deviantart.com/)
Character Species: Tholian
Character Family: N/A
Character Bio: Born on Tholia Prime as all members of his species are, Volskene was born into the scientific caste of his race, the Tholians. From inception, it would seem that his destiny was set and predetermined. The early portions of Volskene's lifespan were somewhat uneventful, but Tholians mature rapidly as a particular consequence of their biology and physiology, and so he found his particular calling, dictated by his caste, rather quickly. Particularly, he found interests in the fields of quantum mechanics and subspace and warp field theory. This found him tasked with the rather mundane and laborious task of enhancing the efficiency and speed of the engines that powered the Tholian Assembly's ships. For many years, Volskene performed the duties that had been delegated to him by the Assembly. However, as time wore on, it was clear that he had become somewhat discontent that his skills were being put to use for such a banal purpose. Volskene truly desired to make more cutting edge breakthroughs in his field of expertise, rather than resorting to the same tired old techniques and repetition to advance a somewhat questionable goal to begin with. Following this revelation, Volskene made an extremely difficult decision: he resigned his post in the Assembly and took to the stars beyond his world, fighting the distaste for aliens that coursed within his crystalline form. Clearly, if he wanted to share and advance new ideas, he would have to both travel and collaborate, no matter the difficulty of reasoning with humanoids. It was in this way that he discovered the Federation's Science Council and their many branches devoted to different disciplines, including those of his particular expertise. He attempted to make his case to work with the Federation despite the tenuous relations between the organization and his people; the venture succeeded, although his access to the Federation was initially extremely limited, and still somewhat is, due to the aforementioned issues of diplomacy. Volskene now travels to give talks and share ideas about the minutiae of subspace physics; however, it is clear that his species not only sticks out like a sore thumb, but is also somewhat unwelcome at the best of times. The feeling, to him, is mutual at times.

Volskene looks like an average (if somewhat slender) Tholian; to many species they resemble a large, gleaming, crystalline spider, with two glowing eye spots where a humanoid's "head" would be located. His tapering body splits off into six legs, each with two toe-like appendages at their ends. Additionally, two more limbs branch out, analogous to humanoid arms; they have three fingers at the tip. His body is a mosaic of bright and dark shades of orange, and a fluid of milky consistency permeates throughout, almost analogous to blood or a similar life-sustaining fluid. Most often, he is seen wearing an environmental suit, due to the unique and extreme requirements of Tholian biology (namely, a chlorine-methane atmosphere and temperatures in excess of 200 degrees Celsius). The environmental suit renders Volskene's movements hindered and gives him a clunky appearance when traversing around humanoids. However, in his native environment, he is capable of rapid, scuttling movement, which is likely where the comparisons to spiders or insects were derived from.

Your Details

Previous Role-Playing Experience: On and off for about 6 years; first Trek-oriented RP
Department Preference: Science
Secondary Department Preference: Ops
Commissioned, Enlisted or Civilian: Civilian

Sample post: Volskene paced around the span of his temporary lodging on this starbase and surveyed the surroundings. A thick smog-like mixture of noxious (to humanoids) gas permeated the tightly sealed quarters. It was kind of these outsiders to offer him a room suited to his people's habitation.

His gaze turned to the padd in his outstretched hand. It contained several rather complicated warp field solutions in progress, which the Tholian had been pondering over for the better part of a week. Try as he might, he just could not balance the variables that would offer the correct answer. This was made even worse by the fact that he had a presentation to give in the next couple of days, and he had to be exactly on time, a consequence of the well-known punctuality of his species. There would be no presentation at all if he couldn't get this solution, though...

It was then that the doorbell to his quarters rang. Hurriedly, Volskene scurried to a monitor to look at who the visitor might be. As expected, it was a besuited humanoid, no doubt come to see how he was finding his accommodations. Having locked himself in the room for the past few days, this stranger was likely coming to check up on his well-being. Well, he was doing just fine, but Volskene decided he might as well humor this visit. In his distinct Universal Translator-vocoded tone, he called out, "What is it?"

Additional information: I believe that the Starbase would be the best location for him, but I'm open to any other assignment!

How did you find Shadow Fleet?: A user on another Trek Discord suggested using Discord.me to find a Star Trek RP, and I found you all through a search there!

Kirok

Volskene,

I'm so happy to see an application for a Tholian!
I used to play one on occasian here named Lonar.

Artwork is hard to come by for them and your image may work,
but you could use this one if you like:

If not, we have someone here who may be able to help you with an image.
If you like.

As far as assignement, we don't have any science spots open.

But I could put you in the Ops Department on the Columbus, if you like as your first assignment.  You could then transfer to Science when a spot opens up.

Will that work?

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Volskene

Thank you very much!

And that's awesome; I'd like to hear more about them, some time!

I do believe that Naira has set up a good ID image for me, so I think I will use it.

And that's alright by me! I am awaiting further instructions. :)

Kirok

Quote from: Volskene on June 17, 2018, 11:58:35 AM

Thank you very much!

And that's awesome; I'd like to hear more about them, some time!

I do believe that Naira has set up a good ID image for me, so I think I will use it.

And that's alright by me! I am awaiting further instructions. :)

Ms. Naira is the pic person I was thinking of.

If she is working with you, you are good.

After you get settled, I may see if I can get Lonar active for a mission ;-)

But for now, you can report into Michael J. Tritter & Katharoz Knox for duty in their Ops Dept by sending them an email.

Welcome aboard,

Kirok

PS - As you are a civilian, you do not need to take a training class, but if you want to switch to Enlisted or Commisioned, we can easity get that set up for you.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.