Season 2 Episode 3: Monsoon Season

Started by Michael J. Tritter, November 14, 2017, 10:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on November 17, 2017, 07:12:55 AM

[Passageway - USS Gibson]

Adeyemi had never served on a Nova class vessel before. It was a far cry from a starbase. The bulkheads pressed close. He had gone from commanding 50,000 people to a mere 80, in a ship that could fit into the smallest Columbus docking bay. Quite a change.

He passed a handful of enlisted men clustered by an open supply room, and heard raised voices. Adeyemi stopped walking and leaned against the bulkhead, out of sight, to listen.

"You're new to the Gibson. You pay your dues," A rough female voice was saying, coarsened by years of night shift work and hollering enlisted bullshit after hours in the barracks. "You don't come aboard and not clean the galley."

"You're in Starfleet. Have some respect." A man's voice said.

"But I didn't trash the galleyÁ¢â,¬""

The bulkheads echoed with the smack of flesh on flesh. A stifled cry of pain rang out almost simultaneously. A knifehand strike. Adeyemi knew a chop when he heard one, being a connoisseur of combat sports.

"You're new. You clean. Got it?"

"Got it."

The trio emerged: a brawny woman with a shaved head, a baby faced engineer and a young man who was nearly bubbling with a sob as he buttoned up his uniform over his chest. They'd stripped his top to deliver the maximum amount of pain.

"Admiral," The woman said respectfully, but her eyes were unrepentant and threatening.

"Morning, Chief." Adeyemi replied quietly. He couldn't openly approve, but knew such things happened, especially on a small ship like the Gibson. Nova crews had a lot of pride and their pecking order was old school, straight out of the early days of Starfleet. Adeyemi did pity any new crewman who had this as his first assignment.

"Orders, Admiral?" The chief asked.

"Carry on." Was all he said.

He found his way to to the Á¢â,¬Ëœlift, leaving the lower decks to be run how they should: by the men and women who crewed them.

[Bridge]

"Admiral on the bridge!" Called our the armed security officer by the turbolift.

" =/\= Adeyemi to all transferred Columbus crew. Take your stations here on the Gibson. =/\= "

"Good Work getting us underway, commander." Adeyemi told Tritter.

[Location: Bridge, USS Gibson]

Tritter heard the door open, he than shifted to look towards the new arrival. He immediately recognized the Captain, er Admiral. He than rose to his feet. Once the Admiral had stepped towards him, he waited for them to finish speaking before he replied with "Thank you Sir and Congratulations" He had picked up on the other man's rank change fairly quickly in his initial scan of the Commanding Officer. He gestured with his right hand towards the command chair, indicating it was theirs if they wanted, as he was sure he could find other things for himself to do if they wanted to take over the bridge. Since they were the Commanding Officer, such was only appropriate he offer it to them.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Michael J. Tritter on November 17, 2017, 12:35:20 PM

Tritter heard the door open, he than shifted to look towards the new arrival. He immediately recognized the Captain, er Admiral. He than rose to his feet. Once the Admiral had stepped towards him, he waited for them to finish speaking before he replied with "Thank you Sir and Congratulations" He had picked up on the other man's rank change fairly quickly in his initial scan of the Commanding Officer. He gestured with his right hand towards the command chair, indicating it was theirs if they wanted, as he was sure he could find other things for himself to do if they wanted to take over the bridge. Since they were the Commanding Officer, such was only appropriate he offer it to them.

[Bridge]

"Thank you, commander." The admiral replied. He possessed no modesty, false or otherwise. Rank meant little and less to him. It was only a tool to help complete the task at hand. And right now the task at hand was Shotaka.

"I've been reading up on these Shotakans." The bald headed man handed over a PADD to his first officer. Adeyemi had been treated as Á¢â,¬Ëœtall' and Á¢â,¬Ëœfit' for most of his adult life, but Tritter absolutely dwarfed him in those respects. Still, there was no sense of Adeyemi being intimidated or overmatched by the larger man. Instead he radiated confidence in his voice and body. A commander in command.

"They evolved from a group of arboreal tree dwelling mammals, but bid nature adieu in a big way when they became industrialized 600 years ago," Adeyemi said to Tritter. "Shotaka is a wasteland now, but a transport and industrial powerhouse. But it's cost them. Their world is dying, and if this acid super storm hits their cities it'll be dead."

Kyan Mackenzie

:: USS Gibson | Deck 3 ::

Having just been relieved on the bridge by the other security officer, Kyan was now on his way to his quarters, where he would be going to sleep if the gods were as merciful as they let on. It had been a long, boring, tedious, boring, mundane, BORING shift on the bridge. Literally nothing happened of note while the little ship traveled to the afflicted planet. Having just been involved in a very fun and exciting drug bust, the excitable Onlie was hoping for some carry over. But alas, it hasn't come yet. It'd  been days since any sort of excitement had come his way. "Alas," he sighed to himself. "This trip has the makins of a snoozer sure and it does."

As Kyan rounded the corner, he came face to stomach with a crewman, nearly colliding. The both stopped, and the boy craned his neck to look up at the wayward grup. A crewman by his rank, and Human. Quite young... probably not even old enough to drink, the black sadness of it. Also, most interestingly he appeared to have just finished having himself a cry. Red eyes... sniffle. Yes. He knew the markers of it. Question was, with this being a boring mission and Starfleet being full of niceties and rainbows, what did this depressingly tall grupling have to cry over? As was his wont, as both a curious person and a security officer, he decided to investigate.

"Oi, what's the matter wi'ye now?" Kyan piped up. "Sumfin awry oi can help with?

The human sniffled. "No..um.." he checked the rank pips on the boy's gold collar to be sure."...sir... it's... it's nothing.

Kyan's eyes narrowed. In his experience children cried for many reasons. Babies for every reason, as they had no words. But grups cried when they were very very happy, or something awful had befalledn them. Males less so, and always for the latter reason.  "An that'd be a lie yer tellin. 'opefully the final one between the two of us. Go on then. Out wi'it."

The crewman glanced about, as if to ensure the coast was clear before continuing, which gave Kyan a sort of thrill. Something interesting was coming... at least he hoped.

"Well... it's just that I'm new here, on the Gibson and...to Starfleet. And I wasn't expecting there to be... hazing and... and people hitting you is all. I was expecting people to be... "

"Someone hit you?" Kyan cut in. "Why?"

"I said I wouldn't clean the galley because I didn't mess it up but... it's tradition she said, the Chief. She said that every new person has to do it, and then she hit me. I just, I'm not a baby. I just wasn't expecting it and it's just deflating is all. I didn't join Starfleet for this."

He was though, Kyan thought to himself, now decidedly less interested. Starfleet enlisted folks, of which he'd been several years prior did have traditions and rituals same as anyone else. If this grupling was unable to navigate that without letting his emotions get the best of him... he was in for a rough time. "Oi see... can you bend down here a moment, Oi'd loik tae get a look at it."

The crewman bent down to near eye level with the diminutive security officer, who promptly gave him a backhanded slap. It was a hard slap too, which likely stung. The Crewman put his hand to his face, his expression one of shock and confusion. "You... why did you hit me? he asked haltingly.

"How many times have you been in a fight? or hit?" Kyan asked in response.

"Well, I did get in a fight once in school... and then today." the crewman replied. "What does that have..."

"So that's thrice ye've been struck, or beat on, and here you are. Still walkin upright. Not dead. Not maimed, and not encumbered by yer great f*ckin grief so much that ye can't still attend yer duty no? Or am oi wrong on that? Do ye need to see the head shrinkin counselor an have a good cry? A hug?"

"No it's just.."

"Look it. Getting hit or beat on, or disappointed ain't the end of it for you. The end comes when they toss yer body in the torpedo and send you off amongst the stars, and ye traipse off to the Summerlands tae live. But yer here the now, STILL. So quit actin loik it is. Yer a man now. Yer in Starfleet. Theres dangers out here worse than that Chief, and worse than me, and worse than getting disappointed when things aren't as ye've hoped. And ye've more beatings in store grupling. Take em, get yer arse off the deck and then give some back. An the next toim that Chief hits you, you ask the creature if she'll do ye the favor of not hitting like a school girl with her knickers in a twist aye?

"Well I suppose... "

Kyan motioned the man away. "That's a free lesson for ye, the which you'll ge no more of today. Now off you go. And dry off your f*ckin eyes!"

"Yessir." the grupling crewman replied, straightening a bit.

As he took off again, Kyan's destination was no longer the confines of his bed, but now off to find that balded headed beast of a Chief. He was interested in her knowing that her boys couldn't keep things to themselves and that she did in fact, hit like a school girl with her panties in a twist.

"Nary even a park left on'im" Kyan giggled to himself as he went on his way.

T'Prina

Quote from: Jenna McKinson on November 16, 2017, 01:32:38 PM

[ Medical Bay - Exam Room 1]

Jenna sat patiently in the medical exam room awaiting the results of the many tests she came in for. He leg nervously moved as she waited. It was in this moment she wished Molly was there to be support. Molly and her had been working a lot more to help cover while she recouped from the chaos in the Landing Strip.

She could remember parts of it, but a lot turned out to be a blur for her. One thing that was consistant were the awful headaches. Normally she could easily push through any pain and move on, but these became crippling.  It was via her own gumption, and Molly's persistence, that she go see someone about it. She knew the toxins were out of her body, but beside the headaches, she worked through a lot of pain. She was ever so thankful to T'Prina who carried her to the medical bay and to Rixxy for stopping her and Molly from causing any more trouble. She had thanked Rixxy already, but was waiting on a gift to arrive to thank T'Prina properly.

She took deep breaths as she sat there. Though she liked the design of the Medical Bay itself, the headache that was pounding in her head and the seething pain in her eyes made her want to get out as quickly as possible. She was using her breathing techniques to calm herself down as she waited for the doctor. She needed to hold onto hope that maybe something was wrong with her so that it could be fixed. That or at least something given to her to soothe the pain.

[NPC Post as Dr. Jack Connors - Sickbay - Exam Room 1]

(Prior to USS Gibson leaving the Starbase)

Dr. Jack Connors strode confidently into the exam room, PADD in hand and a small case in the pocket of his lab coat, which lightly slapped against his thigh with every stride.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting, Lt. McKinson. Had to run the gamut testing you to find out just what the devil was wrong. Figuratively speaking, if you don't mind me saying so, you're as healthy as a horse, so we had to dig a little deeper. The scans we did with the cortical monitor are showing you've developed a sensitivity to certain wavelengths of light radiation. Likely a result of that nasty little drug you were exposed to."

Jack stopped for a breath, and to consider his first meeting with the lieutenant. His favorite Vulcan had carried her right into Sickbay over one shoulder. If they had more time, he would have liked to question Jenna about her experience with the Vulcan mind meld. But alas, there was other business at hand. He pulled the small glasses case from his coat pocket.

"For now, I've replicated these prescription glasses for you. They will serve to filter out the wavelengths harmful to your eyes. The lenses are actually composed of a fascinating material, that will shift the tint when it senses high levels of radiation. I will further study your results to determine if a later surgery might be necessary, if your neural pathways do not heal on their own. But for the time being, these and a mild pain blocker should suffice. Please do not be afraid to come see me if you have any questions or your headaches worsen." He handed her the now open case of yellow tinted glasses, and a small vial of tablets.

Quote from: Katharoz Knox on November 17, 2017, 11:51:03 AM

[Sickbay]

Just like so many times before, Knox made her way to Sickbay for the usual newest concoction of antibacterial, anti-insect, anti-fungal and anti-anything-on-the-planet that Knox could be allergic to or effected by. It was simply a way of life for a Trill. In order for the symbiont relationship to take, the host's secondary adaptive immune system had evolved to not target non-self antigens. On Trill there are very few microorganisms nor insects that pose a threat. As such, joining StarFleet meant many an inoculation for Knox.

She felt somewhat nervous, again as per usual. She missed Dr. Naira who had made her feel rather comfortable with the whole process, though Knox also missed her friend. They had spent the entire journey back from Xa'zii Prime together in the Gibson Sickbay. It had solidified their mutual admiration and respect for one another.

"Hello?"

Knox looked around the somewhat empty Sickbay. She then began speaking quietly to herself / the empty room.

"It's your resident Trill, Lt. Commander Knox reporting for the usual. Hmmmmmm, there are no large dog-like spiders on Shotaka are there? The inhabitants do not eat giant winged beetles do they? No new species of bacteria unknown to the Federation that shall make me turn into 5 men at once is there..?"

Knox turned around and smiled as she heard footsteps approaching her.

[NPC Post as Dr. Jack Connors - USS Gibson - Sickbay]

Dr. Connors grinned, stifling a chuckle into his fist, as he walked over to Knox. With a slight cough to clear his throat and gain his composure he answered her, cheekily.

"Well Lt. Commander, I'm no expert on the wildlife, but the bacteria will only turn you into 3 men at minimum." He did his best to keep a straight face, but the corners of his mouth twitched in mirth. "I'm sure they'd all be equally as charming, but not quite as lovely as the original, however." That said, he put on his serious professional face, as he revealed a cart with a sampling of hyposprays.

"Dr. Naira left wonderfully thorough notes in your file, which I found educational. There aren't many Trill around on the Starbase, so it's always nice to have up-to-date information. I do have a couple hypos ranging from general to specific immunizations, however I am concerned with the levels of air pollution present on Shokata. Given your physiology, I believe it would be particularly hazardous to you, and I recommend a breathing apparatus for when you visit." Despite his earlier jovial manner, he was indeed the picture of a concerned doctor.

[USS Gibson - Science Lab 1]

T'Prina frowned as she took inventory of the lab on board the USS Gibson. It was undesirably under stocked, and much of the equipment was laughably outdated. For a supposed science vessel, the room seemed like it had been outfitted as an afterthought. She sighed while making notations on her PADD. Ensign Dorset seemed to be making annoyed rumblings from the other side of the room. No doubt found the present accommodations not to his liking.

"How are you coming along with your half of the preliminary inventory check?" He had to be near to completed, there was simply not much to work with, which did not inspire hope for the other 3 laboratories left to check.

Quote from: Leanna Mazal on November 17, 2017, 10:16:48 AM

[USS Gibson - Main Lounge]

Leanna was currently knelt down underneath the counter refilling the cooler unit with more of the bottles of beer that most of the Gibson's crew seemed to prefer and she was all for keeping her customers happy whether it be in Puzzles or helping out on the ship. It still seemed a little surreal that she was here and not on the station but after a chance subspace call from her supplier of the rare liquor Mohaba had resulted in her calling in some favours with Starfleet especially after the undercover mission and was given passage on the Gibson.

So for the journey from Columbus she had spent most of her time organising the Lounge and making it more friendly for the crew and of course couldn't leave the station without bringing Rixxy along with her well had no choice really with how protective the Klingon was over her even more so after what had happened in the Landing Strip.

In a way she was glad that she was here and had to admit it felt good to be off the station for a few days knowing that her bar was in safe hands so one less thing to worry about. Glancing up at the chronometer decided to get a move on before the next shift change and continued refilling the cooler.

[NPC Post as Rixxy - USS Gibson - Main Lounge]

Rixxy pushed a broom around the room, not so much sweeping as moving the dust around. Her face crinkled in an imposing grimace as she did her best not to sneeze, but let out a resounding *ACHOO!* anyways.

"Definitely not a luxury class cruiser." She intoned with a derisive sniffle. "Pretty sure I've seen cleaner garbage scows. You alright with that cooler, or are you gonna need me to bring over another case, Boss?" The Klingon asked, arms crossed and balanced on the top of the broom handle.

At your smallest components, you are indistinguishable from a forest fire.
Bio

Leanna Mazal

Quote from: T'Prina on November 17, 2017, 03:07:30 PM

[NPC Post as Rixxy - USS Gibson - Main Lounge]

Rixxy pushed a broom around the room, not so much sweeping as moving the dust around. Her face crinkled in an imposing grimace as she did her best not to sneeze, but let out a resounding *ACHOO!* anyways.

"Definitely not a luxury class cruiser." She intoned with a derisive sniffle. "Pretty sure I've seen cleaner garbage scows. You alright with that cooler, or are you gonna need me to bring over another case, Boss?" The Klingon asked, arms crossed and balanced on the top of the broom handle.

[Gibson Main Lounge]

Leanna shook her head trying not to laugh as she heard the slightly exaggerated sneeze from Rixxy. She knew her friend and unofficial bodyguard wasn't too keen on their new surroundings but once she finished with the first crate, stood up and looked over at the Klingon as she commented about the ship and compared it to something less than a garbage scow before asking if she needed another case.

" I know its not what were used too but at least it is clean well a lot better than that bar on Luxxian Five " she replied grimacing at the memory of the bar she escaped from when she first set out to be an exotic dancer, her skin almost crawling remembering the state it was in but soon shook it off. " As for another case we might need one later if it gets busy again but we should be okay for now and I think we both deserve a break before the end of shift rush" she said pulling out a bottle filled with a purple glittery liquid and two glasses.

Xander Dorset

[USS Gibson - Science Lab(?) 1]

Xander crouched, opening the cupboards beneath the counter on the far side of the room as he mumbled under his breath. "You've got to be kidding me. This is pathetic. Absolutely. Pathetic." He scowled at the near empty contents of the shelves and marked what was there on his PADD. It wasn't much. Some glassware: two 50 mL, three 100 mL, no 150 mL, no 300 mL, and one 500 mL beakers - most of which were in dire need of an acetone bath. Two 150 mL Erlenmeyer flasks - also filthy.  One test tube rack - no test tubes in sight. Seven weigh glasses haphazardly thrown in the corner - two chipped, one cracked down the middle. And a single, sad Petri dish. "Pathetic." He couldn't help but mumble it again. It seemed to be the only word fit to describe this laughable excuse for a science lab.

[USS Gibson - Science Lab 1]

T'Prina frowned as she took inventory of the lab on board the USS Gibson. It was undesirably under stocked, and much of the equipment was laughably outdated. For a supposed science vessel, the room seemed like it had been outfitted as an afterthought. She sighed while making notations on her PADD. Ensign Dorset seemed to be making annoyed rumblings from the other side of the room. No doubt found the present accommodations not to his liking.

"How are you coming along with your half of the preliminary inventory check?" He had to be near to completed, there was simply not much to work with, which did not inspire hope for the other 3 laboratories left to check.

"Inventory? What inventory? There's nothing here. Nothing but dust and disappointment." Xander began ticking off his complaints on his fingers as he ranted, "I doubt there's enough glassware for any sort of serious experiment. There's basically nothing but formaldehyde in the chemical stock room. And everything in this room is twice as old as I am!"

He snorted, shaking his head in derision as he flipped his PADD around to face T'Prina. "Look at this!" Most of the columns on the screen were red, signifying that things were missing, or grey, signifying that they needed to be replaced. The only thing he found that was up to snuff, signified by a single green line across the screen was the fire extinguisher... Probably because whatever moron ran this disaster of a lab set himself on fire or something. Xander set his PADD on the counter and ran both of his hands through his already messy hair as he sharply exhaled. "Á¢â,¬ËœScience vessel' my ass. This is a flying history exhibit."

"Impossible is nothing

Jenna McKinson

[NPC Post as Dr. Jack Connors - Sickbay - Exam Room 1]

(Prior to USS Gibson leaving the Starbase)

Dr. Jack Connors strode confidently into the exam room, PADD in hand and a small case in the pocket of his lab coat, which lightly slapped against his thigh with every stride.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting, Lt. McKinson. Had to run the gamut testing you to find out just what the devil was wrong. Figuratively speaking, if you don't mind me saying so, you're as healthy as a horse, so we had to dig a little deeper. The scans we did with the cortical monitor are showing you've developed a sensitivity to certain wavelengths of light radiation. Likely a result of that nasty little drug you were exposed to."

Jack stopped for a breath, and to consider his first meeting with the lieutenant. His favorite Vulcan had carried her right into Sickbay over one shoulder. If they had more time, he would have liked to question Jenna about her experience with the Vulcan mind meld. But alas, there was other business at hand. He pulled the small glasses case from his coat pocket.

"For now, I've replicated these prescription glasses for you. They will serve to filter out the wavelengths harmful to your eyes. The lenses are actually composed of a fascinating material, that will shift the tint when it senses high levels of radiation. I will further study your results to determine if a later surgery might be necessary, if your neural pathways do not heal on their own. But for the time being, these and a mild pain blocker should suffice. Please do not be afraid to come see me if you have any questions or your headaches worsen." He handed her the now open case of yellow tinted glasses, and a small vial of tablets.

[ Medical Bay ]

Jenna felt a sense of relief when the doctor came in. She put on the glasses and immediately felt relief. He eyes lit up as the headache began to cease a bit. She also took the pills as well. "Thank you Doc. These are already working," She said. She looked at the mirror in the room and her eyes lit up. "Oh I look like Geddy Lee.... I love it!." She then got up and stretched a bit as she was sitting a bit stiff while waiting for the doctor to come in. "Don't worry doc, I have the monitor on right now,"She said tapping her head lightly. "I may be headed off on the Gibson, but I will keep the logsand send them to you."

[ Uss Gibson - Engineering ]

Molly groaned as she walked into the main engineering area of the Gibson. It was a far cry form what they had at their disposal at the Star Base. "How the in fresh hell is this rustbucket functioning? " She asked looking around. Jenna chucked "You have seen nothing. I took a freighter with a gal named Maura once. This makes that look like it's the Starbase. It's all about how you use the resources. Sure we aren't as big as a base, but it isn't all that bad," She said.

As Jenna said this, something loudly clanked on the floor as if it had fallen off. A wince of pain could be heard followed by "Now that's an interesting color." Jenna shook her head. It would need to take some convincing in order to get Molly to see the good in the situation. As much as she loved the base, getting the opportunity to stretch her legs on a shore mission was too enticing to not take up. Though she dragged Molly along, she knew this would be fun for the both of them. "Well at least there won't be huge amounts of traffic on the holosuite,"Molly said. "Atta girl!,"Jenna said in reply. "Whatever shrimp,"Molly said playfully. "Yeah yeah Giraffe. You hide subtlety like a bull in a china shop" Jenna said sticking out her tongue. The two ladies then laughed and went to check on the rogue engineer who sounded like he was in pain.

"I always try to be true to who I am and just be myself."

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on November 17, 2017, 01:55:54 PM

[Bridge]

"Thank you, commander." The admiral replied. He possessed no modesty, false or otherwise. Rank meant little and less to him. It was only a tool to help complete the task at hand. And right now the task at hand was Shotaka.

"I've been reading up on these Shotakans." The bald headed man handed over a PADD to his first officer. Adeyemi had been treated as Á¢â,¬Ëœtall' and Á¢â,¬Ëœfit' for most of his adult life, but Tritter absolutely dwarfed him in those respects. Still, there was no sense of Adeyemi being intimidated or overmatched by the larger man. Instead he radiated confidence in his voice and body. A commander in command.

"They evolved from a group of arboreal tree dwelling mammals, but bid nature adieu in a big way when they became industrialized 600 years ago," Adeyemi said to Tritter. "Shotaka is a wasteland now, but a transport and industrial powerhouse. But it's cost them. Their world is dying, and if this acid super storm hits their cities it'll be dead."

Tritter remained focused on the Admiral as the other man spoke, their accent was something he was still adapting to, so he had to make sure to listen carefully lest he missed something. Tritter than replied with a simple "Your welcome"  to the Admiral in his usual heavily German accented voice. He than nodded slightly to their statement and the large man took the PADD with his right hand. He proceeded to flip through it so he could study it.

Tritter read the PADD carefully, although the "tree hugger" stuff was beyond him for the most part. He understand the what and the why, but the stopping it was slightly beyond him. He than pondered for a moment, he than shifted his gaze back towards the Admiral and asked, "We need to stop it sir, but how?" His tone was curious but confident as he spoke to the Admiral

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Michael J. Tritter on November 18, 2017, 12:00:27 PM

Tritter remained focused on the Admiral as the other man spoke, their accent was something he was still adapting to, so he had to make sure to listen carefully lest he missed something. Tritter than replied with a simple "Your welcome"  to the Admiral in his usual heavily German accented voice. He than nodded slightly to their statement and the large man took the PADD with his right hand. He proceeded to flip through it so he could study it.

Tritter read the PADD carefully, although the "tree hugger" stuff was beyond him for the most part. He understand the what and the why, but the stopping it was slightly beyond him. He than pondered for a moment, he than shifted his gaze back towards the Admiral and asked, "We need to stop it sir, but how?" His tone was curious but confident as he spoke to the Admiral

[Bridge]

Another pair of men might have bluffed their way through the technical side of things, but Adeyemi also wasn't embarrassed by his ignorance for this. The science of things was simply beyond him.

"I imagine Ensign Dorset and Lieutenant T'Prina will have some input on that. You and I will primarily be dealing with the Shotakan leadership," The admiral said, with a tone that indicated he didn't particularly relish that task. "I have briefings for each department: engineering, security, operations, medical. Our people are going to be helping wherever they can with the entire society."

Both men remained standing. Adeyemi wasn't a casual Officer. He'd gone hunting with Tritter in the holodeck before, but that was when they were both off duty. As long as there were duties to perform he'd be on point.

"I don't think either of us have strong diplomatic skills," Adeyemi said, probably the understatement of the century. "I'm glad you'll have my back when it comes to dealing with the planetary leadership."

Michael J. Tritter

Quote from: Malcolm Adeyemi on November 18, 2017, 04:30:15 PM

[Bridge]

Another pair of men might have bluffed their way through the technical side of things, but Adeyemi also wasn't embraced by his ignorance for this. The science of things was simply beyond him.

"I imagine Ensign Dorset and Lieutenant T'Prina will have some input on that. You and I will primarily be dealing with the Shotakan leadership," The admiral said, with a tone that indicated he didn't particularly relish that task. "I have briefings for each department: engineering, security, operations, medical. Our people are going to be helping wherever they can with the entire society."

Both men remained standing. Adeyemi wasn't a casual Officer. He'd gone hunting with Tritter in the holodeck before, but that was when they were both off duty. As long as there were duties to perform he'd be on point.

"I don't think either of us have strong diplomatic skills," Adeyemi said, probably the understatement of the century. "I'm glad you'll have my back when it comes to dealing with the planetary leadership."

Tritter was no good with the squint stuff as well. He than nodded to the Admiral's comment in agreement. He listened intently to the Admiral as they spoke, he than replied with, 'Aye Sir" He pondered over their next statement, "Aye Sir, we seem to be better with the brawn than the finesse side of things, but we will make due" Truth be told, he was ready to crack skulls if needed.

Auzual Knox

[USS Gibson - Sickbay]

[NPC Post as Dr. Jack Connors - USS Gibson - Sickbay]

Dr. Connors grinned, stifling a chuckle into his fist, as he walked over to Knox. With a slight cough to clear his throat and gain his composure he answered her, cheekily.

"Well Lt. Commander, I'm no expert on the wildlife, but the bacteria will only turn you into 3 men at minimum." He did his best to keep a straight face, but the corners of his mouth twitched in mirth. "I'm sure they'd all be equally as charming, but not quite as lovely as the original, however." That said, he put on his serious professional face, as he revealed a cart with a sampling of hyposprays.

"Dr. Naira left wonderfully thorough notes in your file, which I found educational. There aren't many Trill around on the Starbase, so it's always nice to have up-to-date information. I do have a couple hypos ranging from general to specific immunizations, however I am concerned with the levels of air pollution present on Shokata. Given your physiology, I believe it would be particularly hazardous to you, and I recommend a breathing apparatus for when you visit." Despite his earlier jovial manner, he was indeed the picture of a concerned doctor.

Knox wondered exactly how much the young Doctor had heard, though found his charming demeanor worked rather well for him. Eyeing him up, she enjoyed responding to his mild flirtations with a raised left eyebrow.

"Ahhh, but which 3? Though, to be honest I believe I find it more complicated being a woman. Having been a man for the majority of my existence I became used certain aspects."

As the hyposprays were administered, Knox stretched and rubbed over her neck following each one.

"Thank you for your advice regarding the air pollution on Shotaka. Btw, do take care of yourself also, Dr. Connors. I am currently working on establishing the deflector shields around a large enough parameter for the away team in order to protect us against the acid rain. If you find yourself helping too many of the inhabitants, do stay within the safe zone."

Alike his full Doctor-mode, Knox went into full Strategic Ops mode. She knew they were there to prevent the planet from dying, however it felt like the inhabitants had done their best to promote it.

"I think we are done now, yes? No need for a physical this time!"

=/\= Knox to Ensign Kentrat. How are the plans for the deflector grid coming along? How are the orbital arrays functioning? And, how much can we boost the communications array? We shall need as much warning as possible on ground when an acid rain storm is about to hit. Meet me in Engineering - Commander Howell should have a trick or two up his sleeve. Knox out. =/\=

PAST HOSTS OF THE KNOX SYMBIONT | Sirzi Diplomat (First to Vulcan) | Darzem Trill Private Service (CLASSIFIED) | Jorzon Engineer (Died young in an engineering accident) | Izu Geneticist (Crimes against Trill Law, Symbiont removed, outcast) | Nazar Ambassador for Trill (Loved everything that life had to offer; woman, wine and weddings) | Katharoz StarFleet First Officer of SBC (Died. Investigations ongoing) | The Seventh Unknown Alien species shared host.

Member of the Great House of Ruktah PENDING General Yoduk's approval.

Kyan Mackenzie

:: USS Gibson | Sickbay ::

The doors to the Gibson's miniscule infirmary swept open with the typical hydraulic hiss. Through them limped/hopped/staggered what might have appeared to any uninitiated onlooker as the victims of a car crash or other such calamity. Kyan himself was sporting a black eye, which was nearly closed by the swelling, a bloodied nose, and held his right arm close to his chest, the hand and wrist hanging at an odd angle. Various other cuts, scrapes, and welts adorned his body as well, which was bare form the waist up. His gait also indicated a leg injury of some sort.

The woman with him was no better off. A makeshift bandage around her head was nearly soaked through with blood. Her nose appeared to be broken. The ring finger on her left hand was dislocated, and she was limping as well. The same cuts, bruises, and welts that adorned her little travel partner also dotted the ebony landscape of her own person.

The two of them would have been a sad sight indeed, leaning on one another for support and limping/staggering into the cramped sickbay.

They would have been.... had both their visages not been marked by smiles and laughter. Those however, fell away as the two of them got inside the room and noticed the open mouthed stares and gasps from the medics on hand.

Kyan squinted through his good eye at those assembled. "Oi, an 'ave ye never laid yer eyes on such injuries as these before that yer so awestruck?" he asked the room with a pained giggle. "Yet yer tools out an' get tae work!"

His ebony hued partner was somewhat less brash in this case, but spoke up also. "Fell down some stairs." she deadpanned.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Bridge - USS Gibson]

"Coming up on Shotaka....now." The helm officer said, easing off the warp engines. The Gibson's high speed streak ended and they dropped into subspace.

" =/\= Welcome to Shotaka, traveler. =/\= " A disembodied, pleasant and feminine voice said the moment the planet appeared below them. " =/\= A great place to do business. Welcome to Shotaka, traveler. A gr-gr-great place to do b-b-business. Welcome...to...Sho... =/\= "

"Clean that up." The admiral demanded.

"It's an automated message and the problem is with the equipment on their side, sir. Sensors show that acid rain storms are sweeping over the planet. Anything unshielded is taking damage."

"Hail them."

"...nothing, admiral. No response."

"Move us into orbit over the most highly populated city." Adeyemi answered. He turned to Tritter.

"Looks like we're going in blind, commander. Still, they know we're coming. From the mission reports, I've outlined something for each department. We'll give our people a free hand while you and I coordinate and talk with the planetary leaders." The admiral handed over another PADD to Tritter. "Here's what I got."

The PADD read:

SECURITY: Reports from the planet indicate that the citizens are agitated about the impending planetary threat. Coordinate with Shotakan security and offer to assist.

ENGINEERING: Much of the equipment designed to keep Shotaka dry from acid rain is failing. Examine the technology, particularly the bubble shielding, both the capital city bubble and individual bubbles, and attempt to repair.

MEDICAL: The pollution on Shotaka is reaching epidemic level. The air quality index is adversely effecting the planet's health. Coordinate with Shotakan doctors and offer to assist.

OPERATIOS: Vital technology and maintenance across the capital city are failing, including life support in areas where it is needed, replicators, etc. Examine the technology and attempt to repair.

SCIENCE: Investigate the weather patterns and storms with Shotakan scientists and assist them.

CIVILIANS: Assist Shotakan civilians.

" =/\= This is Admiral Adeyemi to all hands. In 34 hours a storm system will decimate Shotaka on a planetary scale. We will prevent it. All senior officers, enlisted personnel, and designated civilians will soon receive orders. These people need our help, and by the grace of God we will save them and their world. Adeyemi out. =/\= "

Johannes Kentrat

Quote from: Katharoz Knox on November 18, 2017, 06:10:07 PM

[USS Gibson - Sickbay]

Knox wondered exactly how much the young Doctor had heard, though found his charming demeanor worked rather well for him. Eyeing him up, she enjoyed responding to his mild flirtations with a raised left eyebrow.

"Ahhh, but which 3? Though, to be honest I believe I find it more complicated being a woman. Having been a man for the majority of my existence I became used certain aspects."

As the hyposprays were administered, Knox stretched and rubbed over her neck following each one.

"Thank you for your advice regarding the air pollution on Shotaka. Btw, do take care of yourself also, Dr. Connors. I am currently working on establishing the deflector shields around a large enough parameter for the away team in order to protect us against the acid rain. If you find yourself helping too many of the inhabitants, do stay within the safe zone."

Alike his full Doctor-mode, Knox went into full Strategic Ops mode. She knew they were there to prevent the planet from dying, however it felt like the inhabitants had done their best to promote it.

"I think we are done now, yes? No need for a physical this time!"

=/\= Knox to Ensign Kentrat. How are the plans for the deflector grid coming along? How are the orbital arrays functioning? And, how much can we boost the communications array? We shall need as much warning as possible on ground when an acid rain storm is about to hit. Meet me in Engineering - Commander Howell should have a trick or two up his sleeve. Knox out. =/\=

[Operations Center, USS Gibson]

Just screens. No matter how many crewman and officers jostled him in their rush, all he could see were screens. The soft light let him forget himself for a while. He lost himself in the schematics and the hard metal on the table in front of him. A small probe acutely maneuvered  within the workings, testing their integrity. Although he wasn't quite hearing his reminders, he'd been sent on a mission to aid in weather prediction. It was nice to get lost in work, actual work.

It was wonderful how his commbadge could just read his mind, because there was the commander's voice. The barrage of questions would've been grating coming from the captai-admiral, he quickly corrected, or Tritter. Knox was somewhat pleasant though. It helped him forget about what would be asked of him when he got back.

=/\= "Ensign Corvath has taken the deflector plans down to Engineering, ma'am. I'm finishing structural testing on these outboard array amplifiers. IF it works, we'll only see a  a 23-28 percent increase in accuracy, but a 57-64 decrease in latency. Meteorology will be able to make corrections in near-real time. I'll be on my way now."  =/\=

He tucked away his probe and rolled the spherical amplifier, one of many, into a large crate. He took it all in hand, lifting as best he could onto his shoulder, and started towards the passageway and onwards to the turbolift.

Auzual Knox

[Operations Center, USS Gibson]

Quote from: Johannes Kentrat on November 20, 2017, 05:19:35 PM

=/\= "Ensign Corvath has taken the deflector plans down to Engineering, ma'am. I'm finishing structural testing on these outboard array amplifiers. IF it works, we'll only see a 23-28 percent increase in accuracy, but a 57-64 decrease in latency. Meteorology will be able to make corrections in near-real time. I'll be on my way now."  =/\=

Not bad, Ensign. Not bad at all.

=/\= You have 10 minutes Ensign to have the amplifiers ready and beamed into position. How is your Shotakan? Oh, and do not forget your mask en route to the landing party. =/\=

[USS Gibson - Landing on Shotaka]

It was not often Knox was annoyed at an entire race. But for destroying their own planet due to industrial ambition and technological advancement. Yes. She was annoyed.

For over three millennia harmony had existed between all species and the ecosystem. However the Shotakan's greed, carelessness and negligence lead to catastrophic consequences, scarring the landscape and permanently changing life on Shotaka forever.

[Shotaka]

Fortunately, the mask that the Doctor had prescribed allowed Knox to breath, however as she stepped outside and looked around, she held her breath.

How? How could they let this happen?

Though the mask also prevented her eyes from stinging, they still began to tear up by the sight. No animal, nor insect or plant life could be detected across the vast stacks that spanned the entire horizon. Pockets of cold dense air swirled between dry hot air leaving the lingering smell of ethanol and burnt keratin. Holographic vegetation began to fail in patches and the 'bubbles' of protected areas rippled and occasionally 'burst' revealing the true sky. Deadly acid rain fell and life support failed.

The planet was dying and the Federation knew it would take a miracle.

PAST HOSTS OF THE KNOX SYMBIONT | Sirzi Diplomat (First to Vulcan) | Darzem Trill Private Service (CLASSIFIED) | Jorzon Engineer (Died young in an engineering accident) | Izu Geneticist (Crimes against Trill Law, Symbiont removed, outcast) | Nazar Ambassador for Trill (Loved everything that life had to offer; woman, wine and weddings) | Katharoz StarFleet First Officer of SBC (Died. Investigations ongoing) | The Seventh Unknown Alien species shared host.

Member of the Great House of Ruktah PENDING General Yoduk's approval.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.