Author Topic: Here there be Tigers! (Open)  (Read 23543 times)

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Here there be Tigers! (Open)
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »
[Holodeck Four]

The low flying P-40 was clearly in trouble. It was trailing smoke and was moving far slower than it should have been for this altitude. It lurched toward the airfield less than two miles away and it didn't look like it would make it. The ground crew was already piling into an old truck to rush to what looked like an inevitable crash site. However, just as the truck turned over, the plane deliberately dove sharply and the lead mechanic swore violently as he was certain not only the plane, but the pilot were about to be lost. Even though a crash should have been inevitable, it turned out the pilot had actually sacrificed the last of his altitude to gain just enough speed to get the heavily damaged plane to limp across the threshold of the runway. The Tomahawk landed heavily and skidded for several hundred yards before coming to a complete halt.

The lead mechanic accelerated the old truck down the runway and pulled to a stop along side the plane with 'Highland Gal' stenciled below the cockpit, just as the shaken pilot climbed out and shook his head to clear the ringing in his ears. He looked up as the mechanic joined him and looked more angry than anything.

"Dammit Flip! I did all I could, but there just too bloody many of them! There were four of us and two bloody dozen of them!"

Flip looked at the pilot with skepticism.

"You sure you didn't get greedy Mister Galloway? Woulda been no shame in breaking off against those kinda odds."

Ian was about to let loose with a furious response, but managed to stop as he considered what the mechanic said.

"We made one diving pass about as fast as a P-40 can go. I got one of the Nells and so did Chester, but then the Nates were on us like ticks on a hound. I dove for all the 'Gal was worth, but there just wasn't enough altitude to get away. I had to turn to fight and got one of the Nates in a head-on, but I got riddled in the process. Did anyone else make it back?"

The look on the mechanic's face told Ian how bad, the bad news was. Ian's shoulders slumped and closed his eyes in defeat.

"Sorry Flip. Not a good day for the good guys today."

The mechanic looked sad, but managed a small smile.

"At least you got your plane back. I thought for sure you were done with that last second dive. She's hurt, but we can get her back in the air, so that's something."

Ian nodded absently as he responded.

"I guess sometimes you have to celebrate the small successes."

Ian looked back at the 'Highland Gal' and got angry again.

"Looks like I made this bloody program too realistic for my own good. It sure would be nice ta have someone ta fly with. A second actual pilot might help even the odds."

Ian walked toward the ramshackle building that passed as the base's control tower as if he was going to file an after action report, but as he neared the door he said.

"Computer. Exit."

Ian exited the holodeck and headed for his quarters to change from his Flying Tiger gear to his Starfleet uniform.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:33:47 pm by Ian Galloway »

Offline Jus'draal

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Tempest's Klingon
  • 2018 Starfleet Intelligence: Strategic Science Summit  Featured missiion Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Here there be Tigers! (Open)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:17:29 pm »
Jus'draal wore a Republic of China Air Force and stood on the tarmac of the AVG tarmac.  She watched as a pair of P-40 Mustangs landed, one's wings bore a double line of bullet holes.  This world still used projectile weapons, how barbaric, she tought.  her own people still used blades but that was a question of honor, here it apparently was just the way things were.  She shook herself.  She had arrived here a few hours ago, having found this program in the hoodeck library.  She had been lectured by one Commander Chennault and now was preparing in a leather jacket and odd helmet made of leather to climb into one of the cockpits of an idling P-40 and see how flying overancient china suited her.

The program had provied a 'wingman' to her, according to practicies of the time he would be the lead aircraft and the other pilot would protect her 'six'.  She climbed into the pilot's seat and strapped in.  There were no inertial dampeners, so this was important, apparently.  As she taxied and checked in with the tower she checked for her wingman, he was aligned behind her.  She wanted to get to know his role, she had the feeling this Second Wold War scenario would be one she returned to.  She had advised the computer alert her when next it was accessed.  In the mean time she would practice her flying in this air filled environment.  The next time the writer of the program came to it, she would surprise them.
DabuQlu'DI' yISuv - Klingon Proverb - When Threatened, Fight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Earth Proverb - If you wish peace, prepare for war

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 11:52:07 pm »
[Holodeck Four]

Ian sauntered to the holodeck fully decked out as a Flying Tiger pilot and saw that it was in operation. He frowned and queried the computer.

"Computer, what program is running?"

"Program Galloway Tiger One."

Ian started at this response and asked a new question.

"And who the bloody hell is runnin' the bloody thing?"

"Query not understood."

Ian sighed and slowed down his speech.

"Computer. Who is accessing the program?"

"Cadet Jus'draal."

Snorting in disbelief, Ian entered the holodeck and was immediately enveloped by the oppressive heat of Kunming. He saw a pair of P-40s starting their take off run. Deciding to keep the program active, Ian headed for the tower and stopped next to the radio operator.

"Let me talk to them Sparks. I need to check their flight plan."

The too young tech handed over the microphone and headset.

"Kunming to Daffy One, Kunming to Daffy One, squawk back over."

Ian waited for the response and was very curious to see what this cadet would have to say for herself.

Offline Jus'draal

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Tempest's Klingon
  • 2018 Starfleet Intelligence: Strategic Science Summit  Featured missiion Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:12:40 am »
Jus'draal looked mystified at the radio speaker, then ignored it for a moment while she concentrated on lining up the runway.  Once she was in the air and carefully circling the airfield while the wingman took his turn getting airborne.  She then tumbed the microphone toggle and spoke.

"Daffy One this is Kahless One.  Come back?"

She had read alot of Earth ragio jargon, and she used a smattering of it here.  She had either told the other person to keep going with the conversation or that she was a hitchhiker, she didn't quite remember exactly.  She checked her plane's name again, it was written on a scrap of paper she had painstakingly copied so she would remember, also was recorded her assumed name and rank.  She apparently had been given the rank of Major and the name Justin Draal, She was pretty confident she could play all this off... couldn't she?

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:23:13 am »
Jus'draal looked mystified at the radio speaker, then ignored it for a moment while she concentrated on lining up the runway.  Once she was in the air and carefully circling the airfield while the wingman took his turn getting airborne.  She then tumbed the microphone toggle and spoke.

"Daffy One this is Kahless One.  Come back?"

She had read alot of Earth ragio jargon, and she used a smattering of it here.  She had either told the other person to keep going with the conversation or that she was a hitchhiker, she didn't quite remember exactly.  She checked her plane's name again, it was written on a scrap of paper she had painstakingly copied so she would remember, also was recorded her assumed name and rank.  She apparently had been given the rank of Major and the name Justin Draal, She was pretty confident she could play all this off... couldn't she?

[Holodeck Four]

Ian pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head before he spoke again.

"Kunming to Daffy One. I applaud your enthusiasm, but you are Daffy One, not Kahless One. At least in this setting you are. Return to base Cadet, we are going to have to have a talk."

Ian handed the microphone back to the radio operator and exited the tower.  As he exited he called out.

"Computer. Arch."

As the scene changed to display the controls of the holodeck, Ian spoke again.

"Computer. Reset difficulty to level one. No opposition. Close arch."

The scene changed again as the arch faded to return to the dusty airfield of Kunming. Ian watched the cadet as she flew and had to admit he was at least a little impressed.

"She made it through the 34 steps of the start sequence without setting the plane on fire, that's quite a feat all by itself. She got in the air without crashin', which is another challenge. Now let's see if'n she can handle landin' a tail dragger without pitchin' her on her nose or ground loopin'."

Ian watched and waited to see what would happen next. Either way, at least someone else in the crew was taking an interest in something he dearly loved. That he figured was progress regardless of what sort of pilot this cadet proved to be. 

Offline Jus'draal

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Tempest's Klingon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 10:36:23 am »
[Holodeck Four]

"Roger roger, Daffy One returning to base."

Jus'draal shrugged to herself, she had been circling so this would not be too hard, would it?  She thumbed the radio again, "Daffy Two this is Daffy One, returning to base."

She turned the plane sharply, banking the turn and coming at the landing strip.  She was starting to descend, she realizd she was coming in going the wrong way.  She levelled the stick and wound up flying right past the tower, the windows rattling as the prop plane zipped past it, she pulled up, twisting the yoke, to come almost vertical and then turn into a dive that reversed her direction.  Her heart with it's eight chambers was pounding as she did this acrobatic move and the plane nearly stalled.

She flew level for sevral moments to regain her bearings.  She then entered a final descent, the nose raised to ettle the rear wheel carefully down then lowwer the main gear, it took her a bit longer than it probably should have, soshe wound up a hundred feet past the end of the runway, but there was no damage to the plane other than the rear wheel getting jammed up with clods of grass.

The old emergency truck pulled up just in case, and Flip helped her out of the cockpit.  "Flip, that was great!  When do I do this again?"

Flip just groaned, "After those stunts you need to see your Squadron Commander... Cripes, buzzing the tower and airshow turns in just one short flight..."

Jus'draal smiled and went to find whoever had called her back.  The staticy old style radio had made the voice unrecognizable to her.

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:25:17 pm »
[Holodeck Four]

"Roger roger, Daffy One returning to base."

Jus'draal shrugged to herself, she had been circling so this would not be too hard, would it?  She thumbed the radio again, "Daffy Two this is Daffy One, returning to base."

She turned the plane sharply, banking the turn and coming at the landing strip.  She was starting to descend, she realizd she was coming in going the wrong way.  She levelled the stick and wound up flying right past the tower, the windows rattling as the prop plane zipped past it, she pulled up, twisting the yoke, to come almost vertical and then turn into a dive that reversed her direction.  Her heart with it's eight chambers was pounding as she did this acrobatic move and the plane nearly stalled.

She flew level for sevral moments to regain her bearings.  She then entered a final descent, the nose raised to ettle the rear wheel carefully down then lowwer the main gear, it took her a bit longer than it probably should have, soshe wound up a hundred feet past the end of the runway, but there was no damage to the plane other than the rear wheel getting jammed up with clods of grass.

The old emergency truck pulled up just in case, and Flip helped her out of the cockpit.  "Flip, that was great!  When do I do this again?"

Flip just groaned, "After those stunts you need to see your Squadron Commander... Cripes, buzzing the tower and airshow turns in just one short flight..."

Jus'draal smiled and went to find whoever had called her back.  The staticy old style radio had made the voice unrecognizable to her.

[Holodeck Four]

Ian watched the missed approach, the buzzing of the tower, and the sloppy landing with a mixture of amusement and anger. He hopped onto the crash truck's running board and rode out to where the plane had come to a stop. He waited until the pilot climbed down and sighed.

"Computer, save and end program."

As the dusty field at Kunming vanished to be replaced by the yellow grid of the holodeck, he looked down at the young cadet and shook his head in amazement.

"I'm nae sure if'n I should be furious or ecstatic that someone else in the crew would be interested in this program. Just before you go gettin' full of yourself fer your awesome pilotin' skills, I reset the program ta level one, otherwise, I'm fair certain you would've ended up a rollin' fireball that not only cost the Flyin' Tigers a plane they can nae afford ta lose, but probably have blocked the runway or taken out the tower ta boot. Sure'n the safeties would have saved your fool neck, but that's nae the point.

"This program is advanced fer an experienced pilot, it's nae fer beginners. However, the sheer fact you even wanted ta try this program makes me like you Lass. So, if you want ta learn the fine nuances of atmospheric flight, then this is the program and I'm the man ta show you the ropes. So what do you say Lass?"

Offline Jus'draal

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Tempest's Klingon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:09:21 pm »
Jus'draal gave a start as she alihted and the ground dissolved into the golden holodeck grid.  Standing there looking decidedly out of place in the twenty fourth century was Lieutenant Commander Galloway.  Had she been human, Jusa's stomach might have flip flopped at the sharpness of his tone.

"I'm nae sure if'n I should be furious or ecstatic that someone else in the crew would be interested in this program. Just before you go gettin' full of yourself fer your awesome pilotin' skills, I reset the program ta level one, otherwise, I'm fair certain you would've ended up a rollin' fireball that not only cost the Flyin' Tigers a plane they can nae afford ta lose, but probably have blocked the runway or taken out the tower ta boot. Sure'n the safeties would have saved your fool neck, but that's nae the point.

"This program is advanced fer an experienced pilot, it's nae fer beginners. However, the sheer fact you even wanted ta try this program makes me like you Lass. So, if you want ta learn the fine nuances of atmospheric flight, then this is the program and I'm the man ta show you the ropes. So what do you say Lass?"

"This atmospheric flight is interesting... and it uses real projectiles.  I like the challenge.  Teach me then, sir.  This will be a good way to prove my combat prowess!"  The Klingon woman smiled, displaying sharpened teeth.  "I will not lose any planes... the landing was... trickier than I expected.  certainly different from the Fliht Simulator I tried..."

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 09:36:48 pm »
Jus'draal gave a start as she alihted and the ground dissolved into the golden holodeck grid.  Standing there looking decidedly out of place in the twenty fourth century was Lieutenant Commander Galloway.  Had she been human, Jusa's stomach might have flip flopped at the sharpness of his tone.

"This atmospheric flight is interesting... and it uses real projectiles.  I like the challenge.  Teach me then, sir.  This will be a good way to prove my combat prowess!"  The Klingon woman smiled, displaying sharpened teeth.  "I will not lose any planes... the landing was... trickier than I expected.  certainly different from the Fliht Simulator I tried..."

[Holodeck Four]

Ian smiled broadly and rubbed his hands together in anticipation.

"Good answer Lass. One of my best secrets as a helmsman is that many of my most creative things I've pulled at the helm, I learned here. These old atmospheric maneuvers are new in the 24th Century and fly rings around most opponents."

Ian paused to let that sink in before continuing.

"Now, you are goin' ta have to pay the piper fer your little stunt.

Ian stepped back and spoke to holodeck.

"Computer, resume program."

The yellow grid disappeared to be replaced by the view of two officers storming toward the cadet with an expression that looked like it would melt steel.

"Have you lost your mind? Do you think planes grow on trees Draal? I should have you cleaning the latrines with a toothbrush for the next month. Do anything like that again and I will! As you don't seem to have no idea how to fly lead, I'm busting you to wing!"

The senior of the two men's craggy, basilisk gaze fell on Ian and he snarled.

"Galloway!"

Ian stiffened and replied smartly.

"Sir!"

"Today is your lucky day Galloway. You are lead for this menace. Teach him to fly or I'll have your guts for garters!"

"Yes Sir Colonel Chennault!"

"See that you do!"

Chennault and the second man stormed off without another word back to the tower. As soon as he was out of earshot, Ian chuckled and whispered.

"You got off light. Chennault is a real bastard when he's got a full head if steam goin'."

Offline Jus'draal

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Tempest's Klingon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 09:57:36 pm »
Perhaps others would have blanched at the Colonel bearing down on them but Draal was frustratingly calm, her expression barely changing until she was called a 'him'  Then she nearly went off on the superior officer.  He training held that off though, that andthe fact Galloway was right there.  Then he had the audacity to say she had gotten off lightly, she supressed a growl and in a stage whisper said, "Are they programmed to ignore the fact I am female?"

She didn't truly expect an answer.  So she went on, "Well looks like we'll be flying together, Sir...  I came from the navy, you?"  She was aware that the AVG pilots were mostly military, there were few civilian pilo.  She sort of regretted having made herself a navy flier, it made the escapade of overshooting the runway that much more ubelievable.  Navy pilots had to land on carriers, there was no overshooting on one of those...

She shrugged, "Alright, when is my first, er, next lesson?"

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 10:21:05 pm »
Perhaps others would have blanched at the Colonel bearing down on them but Draal was frustratingly calm, her expression barely changing until she was called a 'him'  Then she nearly went off on the superior officer.  He training held that off though, that andthe fact Galloway was right there.  Then he had the audacity to say she had gotten off lightly, she supressed a growl and in a stage whisper said, "Are they programmed to ignore the fact I am female?"

She didn't truly expect an answer.  So she went on, "Well looks like we'll be flying together, Sir...  I came from the navy, you?"  She was aware that the AVG pilots were mostly military, there were few civilian pilo.  She sort of regretted having made herself a navy flier, it made the escapade of overshooting the runway that much more ubelievable.  Navy pilots had to land on carriers, there was no overshooting on one of those...

She shrugged, "Alright, when is my first, er, next lesson?"

[Holodeck Four]

Ian shrugged as he replied.

"This program is completely historical. If anyone acknowledged you were female, you'd been drop kicked out of China so fast your ears would flap. In this program, I'm a former US Army Air Corps pilot. I was a bomber pilot that lied about bein' a pursuit pilot. Not uncommon for the Tigers. They paid very well and the volunteers misrepresented their experience so they could get a piece of that windfall.

Ian paused to consider the cadet's question before replying.

"I think you've probably had about enough attention fer one day. That and I'm on duty in twenty minutes. That leaves me just enough time ta switch back ta my proper uniform. I once got called ta the bridge right from here and I'd rather not repeat bein' on the bridge as a Flyin' Tiger. Let's say 1400 tomorrow?"

Offline Jus'draal

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Tempest's Klingon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 11:48:42 pm »
[Holodeck Four]

Jus'draal grimmaced at the explanation, "Historical earth was a backward place.  I have read statistics that human women are regarded as better pilots on average than human men."  She shrugged and let it pass, she reached up though and touched her ears, they really seemed too small to flap, that mustbe a figure of speech.

She listened to the almost told story and grinned, "I imagine that would be almost as good as my showing up in traditional armor on the bridge.  Very well, tomorrow then.  I have first shift anyway.  The name is Justin, by the way, Major Justin Draal."

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 12:03:54 am »
[Holodeck Four]

Jus'draal grimmaced at the explanation, "Historical earth was a backward place.  I have read statistics that human women are regarded as better pilots on average than human men."  She shrugged and let it pass, she reached up though and touched her ears, they really seemed too small to flap, that mustbe a figure of speech.

She listened to the almost told story and grinned, "I imagine that would be almost as good as my showing up in traditional armor on the bridge.  Very well, tomorrow then.  I have first shift anyway.  The name is Justin, by the way, Major Justin Draal."

[Holodeck Four]

Ian nodded as the cadet spoke before he replied.

"I don't disagree. Only nation in this era ta use female pilots were the Soviets, but in this program, sorry, you will appear and sound male ta fit the setting. And aye, it was a most unusual moment. I shall have ta tell you the story one day. However, until then. Computer save and end program."

Ian exited the holodeck with Jus'draal, and took up a trot as soon as the door closed to make sure he reached the bridge on time.

Offline Jus'draal

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Tempest's Klingon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 03:56:41 pm »
[Holodeck Four]

The next day, Jus'draal was suited up in a Earth naval uniform circa 1940.  She chafed at the men's cut of the clothing, and the color, mostly monochrome tan didn't suit her, according to her.  Grey qould b better, and a bit more form fitting, one could not move properly with so much extra cloth around the legs.  Even the flight suit she had in a knapsack was although slightly better, still too wide legged.  She realized these were quite similar to the current Starfleet uniform pants, but she felt those fit better.  Perhaps it was a different cut.  That mattered little though, right now she had to get to the squad room and then suited up for the flight in half an hour.

"Computer, run program Galloway Tiger One."

The black and gold grid disolved into China in the early to mid twentieth century.    he crossed the dusty field toward the ramshackle buildings that served to house the three squadrons of the First American Volunteer Group.  As she entered the building that served as the Squad room as well as officers' quarters and offices, a pair of P-40 Tomahawk's with their distinctiveshark paint jobs screamed overhead.  They were from the Thrd Squadron, returning to base after a patrol that would end when she and Galloway took to the skies.  A seconf squadron pair was out in the midst of the current patrol.  The patrols were designed to overlap like this, it meant there were always at least four pilotts in the air at any given time, with another twenty eight , or the remainder of one of the squadrons, ready to fly at a moment's notice.  It must be impressive, she thought, to see all thirty planes of a Squadron in the air together, even more so to see all three squadrons in the air at once.

That probably wasn't to be for a while shethought as she changed into her flight ger in the cramped privy.  She went to her locker and stowed her knapsack and uniform.  Her flight jacket and helmet were waiting on the counter beside her neatly packed parachute.  She strapped it on, not for the first time regrettingthat there wasn't more space under the chest strap.  Shrugging though, she tucked the strap of her helmet into her belt and went out to the squad room to check the patrol plan and wait for Lieutenant Commander Galloway.

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 08:52:32 pm »
[Holodeck Four]

Ian entered the holodeck while pulling his flight helmet I to place and was fastening the chin strap as he joined Jus'draal on the flight line.

"Since you have figured out the starting procedures, we'll move on to basic combat maneuvers. I still have the program set at level one, so you shouldn't have much trouble with what we will be doing. Just remember, the strength of the Tomahawk is in the vertical. You have a decent rate of climb, not as good as that of a Claude or a Nate, but you can dive like a bat out of hell. No Japanese plane of this era can outdive a P-40.

Ian paused to let that sink in, then continued.

"I don't recommend this last bit, but it has to be said. The Tomahawk is well armored and can absorb a good amount of damage except for the coolant system. A single bullet there will cause the engine to seize up in five minutes. So if one of the enemy gets on your tail, you have a decent chance of surviving the first pass.

"The last thing to remember is never get into a turning contest with any Japanese fighter, because the advantages I just mentioned makes you too heavy to turn with them. Just remember, we own the vertical, they own the horizontal."

Ian stopped at this point to wait for questions.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles