Author Shadowfleet uniforms?  (Read 129 times)

Offline Kinley Garrison

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Shenanigans ensueth.
  • Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Given to the SIMM that has survived the roughest storm during the year.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Shadowfleet uniforms?
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:35:33 AM »
Ok, I’m not sure if this has been done before, but for reference’s sake, what do our uniforms look like? I know we use uniforms from the other Trek series for convenience, but what would they look like now?
We're in Starfleet here. Weird is part of the job description.

Click the badge to read my bio.

Offline James H. Hawk

• Command Level Officer
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Shadowfleet uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:30 AM »
I think that its these ones:

Which is what the rank insignia avatar USED to show, however since the site came back a few months ago the insignia avatars show this uniform:

Which was, in cannon, replaced by the first uniform I showed in 2373.

However, Starfleet tends to change uniforms a lot so I'd think that realisticly by the time Shadowfleet takes place (2394 I think), they'd probably have changed. I like some of these, personally:

And my favorite:

I just like the rank piping on the sleeves mostly. I quite like naval uniforms.

All of the above ones have alternate styles like dress uniforms, enlisted uniforms and some have combat uniforms.

Technically though, I think we use the 2373 style ones though. That's what's on our IDs and what the avatar insignia used to be (I guess maybe when the site came back whoever downloaded them might have accidentally picked the wrong ones? I don't know, it doesn't matter much).

EDIT: Oh my images don't seem to have worked. Here are links to where I found them:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/Odyssey_Uniforms

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Uniform_Policy

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/25th_century_uniforms#/media/File%3AJupiterVet_red.png

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:59:10 AM by James H. Hawk »
Academy Security and Tactical Instructor

Offline Rhymus Cleroux

• Competent Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 03:14:32 AM »
The black certainly does fit into the whole Shadowfleet style. It would be nice if we could use them.

I suppose it is possible if we have a base portrait style for male and female, made in such a way that we only have to place faces on the portrait, but that would take some time and effort. The style for the top seems heavily based on the Star Trek: Enterprise top half of the jumpsuit, so you aren't starting COMPLETELY from scratch in making it, but you are starting completely from scratch in making it.

Offline James H. Hawk

• Command Level Officer
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:32:12 AM »
The black certainly does fit into the whole Shadowfleet style. It would be nice if we could use them.

I suppose it is possible if we have a base portrait style for male and female, made in such a way that we only have to place faces on the portrait, but that would take some time and effort. The style for the top seems heavily based on the Star Trek: Enterprise top half of the jumpsuit, so you aren't starting COMPLETELY from scratch in making it, but you are starting completely from scratch in making it.

I wouldn't ask for the ID guys to do all that. It seems like an awful lot of work that isn't really nessasary.

I was really just showing some uniform designs that I personally like a lot. I think it would be cool and I would like them to be the offical uniform of Shadowfleet, but I think that most people would prefer the more traditional designs either in the form of the 2373 variant or possibly some of the less radical designs I linked to.

As much as I like the above one, I think its easier, and probably prefered by most people to stick to the 2373 uniform which I am ok with. I don't mind the 2373 uniform.

Though as a side note, if people did actually like the idea of offically swapping to the sleeve-rank one (which again, I highly doubt people would, and its not something I'd push. The 2373 ones are fine), we wouldn't nessasarily have to change the IDs we could just "pretend" and leave them as is.

Offline Solluk

• Experienced Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 06:59:44 AM »
Hello,

The sleeve rank is an attractive retro look, but I would not want it to replace pips.  The pips allow you to quickly identify rank while looking at someone's face (or the region thereof.)  If the rank was only on the sleeves, then you'd have to look down and find their hands before you knew their rank. 

On the issue of black matching Shadow Fleet's style... is there supposed to be something actually shadowy about shadow fleet?  It has acted as a normal Starfleet force since I have joined, but the name always felt like it stemmed from something else.  Was there a time when Shadow Fleet was clandestine or something?

Cheers!

Offline James H. Hawk

• Command Level Officer
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »
Hello,

The sleeve rank is an attractive retro look, but I would not want it to replace pips.  The pips allow you to quickly identify rank while looking at someone's face (or the region thereof.)  If the rank was only on the sleeves, then you'd have to look down and find their hands before you knew their rank. 

On the issue of black matching Shadow Fleet's style... is there supposed to be something actually shadowy about shadow fleet?  It has acted as a normal Starfleet force since I have joined, but the name always felt like it stemmed from something else.  Was there a time when Shadow Fleet was clandestine or something?

Cheers!

Actually, the uniform design I posted has the sleeve ranks but it also does have pips in the same place as where they were in Enterprise. Its a bit hard to see (but aren't the pips normally hard to see anyway?) but they're there. In the image its four tiny gold dots indicating captain, located on the right breast above the red piping.

As for Shadowfleets name....I have no clue, I've not been around that long when you look at how old the site as a whole is.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:11:28 AM by James H. Hawk »

Offline Solluk

• Experienced Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:19:40 AM »
Thanks for drawing my attention to it.  I hadn't noticed.

This is a good excuse for getting a bigger screen, though.  ;-)

Online Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Command Level Officer
  • Veteran Member
  • Tech support? No... no tech support here...
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
By memory Alpha, as we haven't created uniforms specifically for ourselves, we do use the First Contact- era Uniforms.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(2370s)

Same ones as seen in the later years of DS9, the last "official" uniform to be released.

Though of course an argument could be made that it's captain's prerogative within reason, ala Star Trek Online.

Offline Naira

• Command Level Officer
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
As others have stated, I use the DS9 uniforms when making the ID cards. I wouldn't be opposed to using a different style of uniform if it was voted upon by the members, but the problem with using a lot of the concept ideas like the black uniform shown above is that I'd be working with a drawn image and placing a photo of a realistic face on it and it wouldn't look quite right.

Top RP SitesTop RP Sites TO INFINITY AND BEYOND Maelstrom Role Play Top 100 Original SciFi Sites RPG-D
anything