Shadowfleet uniforms?

Started by Kinley Garrison, November 05, 2017, 01:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinley Garrison

Ok, I'm not sure if this has been done before, but for reference's sake, what do our uniforms look like? I know we use uniforms from the other Trek series for convenience, but what would they look like now?

We're in Starfleet here. Weird is part of the job description.

Click the badge to read my bio.

James H. Hawk

I think that its these ones:

Which is what the rank insignia avatar USED to show, however since the site came back a few months ago the insignia avatars show this uniform:

Which was, in cannon, replaced by the first uniform I showed in 2373.

However, Starfleet tends to change uniforms a lot so I'd think that realisticly by the time Shadowfleet takes place (2394 I think), they'd probably have changed. I like some of these, personally:

And my favorite:

I just like the rank piping on the sleeves mostly. I quite like naval uniforms.

All of the above ones have alternate styles like dress uniforms, enlisted uniforms and some have combat uniforms.

Technically though, I think we use the 2373 style ones though. That's what's on our IDs and what the avatar insignia used to be (I guess maybe when the site came back whoever downloaded them might have accidentally picked the wrong ones? I don't know, it doesn't matter much).

EDIT: Oh my images don't seem to have worked. Here are links to where I found them:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/Odyssey_Uniforms

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Uniform_Policy

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/25th_century_uniforms#/media/File%3AJupiterVet_red.png

Rhymus Cleroux

The black certainly does fit into the whole Shadowfleet style. It would be nice if we could use them.

I suppose it is possible if we have a base portrait style for male and female, made in such a way that we only have to place faces on the portrait, but that would take some time and effort. The style for the top seems heavily based on the Star Trek: Enterprise top half of the jumpsuit, so you aren't starting COMPLETELY from scratch in making it, but you are starting completely from scratch in making it.

James H. Hawk

Quote from: Rhymus Cleroux on November 05, 2017, 03:14:32 AM

The black certainly does fit into the whole Shadowfleet style. It would be nice if we could use them.

I suppose it is possible if we have a base portrait style for male and female, made in such a way that we only have to place faces on the portrait, but that would take some time and effort. The style for the top seems heavily based on the Star Trek: Enterprise top half of the jumpsuit, so you aren't starting COMPLETELY from scratch in making it, but you are starting completely from scratch in making it.

I wouldn't ask for the ID guys to do all that. It seems like an awful lot of work that isn't really nessasary.

I was really just showing some uniform designs that I personally like a lot. I think it would be cool and I would like them to be the offical uniform of Shadowfleet, but I think that most people would prefer the more traditional designs either in the form of the 2373 variant or possibly some of the less radical designs I linked to.

As much as I like the above one, I think its easier, and probably prefered by most people to stick to the 2373 uniform which I am ok with. I don't mind the 2373 uniform.

Though as a side note, if people did actually like the idea of offically swapping to the sleeve-rank one (which again, I highly doubt people would, and its not something I'd push. The 2373 ones are fine), we wouldn't nessasarily have to change the IDs we could just "pretend" and leave them as is.

Solluk

Hello,

The sleeve rank is an attractive retro look, but I would not want it to replace pips.  The pips allow you to quickly identify rank while looking at someone's face (or the region thereof.)  If the rank was only on the sleeves, then you'd have to look down and find their hands before you knew their rank.

On the issue of black matching Shadow Fleet's style... is there supposed to be something actually shadowy about shadow fleet?  It has acted as a normal Starfleet force since I have joined, but the name always felt like it stemmed from something else.  Was there a time when Shadow Fleet was clandestine or something?

Cheers!

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

James H. Hawk

Quote from: Solluk on November 05, 2017, 06:59:44 AM

Hello,

The sleeve rank is an attractive retro look, but I would not want it to replace pips.  The pips allow you to quickly identify rank while looking at someone's face (or the region thereof.)  If the rank was only on the sleeves, then you'd have to look down and find their hands before you knew their rank.

On the issue of black matching Shadow Fleet's style... is there supposed to be something actually shadowy about shadow fleet?  It has acted as a normal Starfleet force since I have joined, but the name always felt like it stemmed from something else.  Was there a time when Shadow Fleet was clandestine or something?

Cheers!

Actually, the uniform design I posted has the sleeve ranks but it also does have pips in the same place as where they were in Enterprise. Its a bit hard to see (but aren't the pips normally hard to see anyway?) but they're there. In the image its four tiny gold dots indicating captain, located on the right breast above the red piping.

As for Shadowfleets name....I have no clue, I've not been around that long when you look at how old the site as a whole is.

Solluk

Thanks for drawing my attention to it.  I hadn't noticed.

This is a good excuse for getting a bigger screen, though.  ;-)

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Dylan Torngate

By memory Alpha, as we haven't created uniforms specifically for ourselves, we do use the First Contact- era Uniforms.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(2370s)

Same ones as seen in the later years of DS9, the last "official" uniform to be released.

Though of course an argument could be made that it's captain's prerogative within reason, ala Star Trek Online.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Naira

As others have stated, I use the DS9 uniforms when making the ID cards. I wouldn't be opposed to using a different style of uniform if it was voted upon by the members, but the problem with using a lot of the concept ideas like the black uniform shown above is that I'd be working with a drawn image and placing a photo of a realistic face on it and it wouldn't look quite right.

Jus'draal

In reading this I was reminded of Forrest Gump and Lieutenant Dan's retort to being saluted.

"What are you trying to do, get me killed?"

Putting large rank insignia on a place like the sleeve identifies your command staff and creates a situation where to neutralize you the enemy need only kill the one with the highest visible rank.  Collar insignia require an attacker to be up close and personal to identify the commander, thus keeping the chain of command safe and intact.

While I agree that the more traditionally naval style looks cool, and might serve as a good dress uniform for Shadowfleet personnel (There is precedent at least on Earth for different fleets of even the same country to have different uniform standards in either dress or duty uniforms).  In this way both the 2373 uniform (as duty uniform) and the Black uniform (as dress uniform) could be used.

Just the thoughts of a Klingon late to the party!

DabuQlu'DI' yISuv - Klingon Proverb - When Threatened, Fight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Earth Proverb - If you wish peace, prepare for war

James H. Hawk

Quote from: Jus'draal on December 23, 2017, 11:59:33 PM

In reading this I was reminded of Forrest Gump and Lieutenant Dan's retort to being saluted.

"What are you trying to do, get me killed?"

Putting large rank insignia on a place like the sleeve identifies your command staff and creates a situation where to neutralize you the enemy need only kill the one with the highest visible rank.  Collar insignia require an attacker to be up close and personal to identify the commander, thus keeping the chain of command safe and intact.

While I agree that the more traditionally naval style looks cool, and might serve as a good dress uniform for Shadowfleet personnel (There is precedent at least on Earth for different fleets of even the same country to have different uniform standards in either dress or duty uniforms).  In this way both the 2373 uniform (as duty uniform) and the Black uniform (as dress uniform) could be used.

Just the thoughts of a Klingon late to the party!

I see where you're coming from, but I'd disagree. Well, what you're saying is true, but I disagree that that would be an issue.

The only time this would be a problem would be in combat where I imagine officers would be fitted with a separate combat uniform. If an enemy is far enough away that they can't tell an officer's rank from the pips, and assuming they can still be a threat from that distance (say a sniper), then I'd imagine they'd have some sort of magnification equipment that they can use to tell the rank if they're that interested in killing the highest ranks.

Here are a couple of combat uniform designs I also like:

Also, the naval-esq uniform was intended to be a service uniform, not dress (but I admit it probably does look fairly dress uniform like, however I don't think its too much more fancy than the Wrath of Khan era uniform). The site I got it from has this, similar but slightly different design for dress uniform:

Jus'draal

I definitely see your point of combat versus dress uniforms.  I have to say I like the last image f dress uniforms with a sort of compromise where the sleeve insignia are present but there is a nod to the protection of officers by placing their sleeve insignia on the cuff rather than the upper arm.  Enlisted ranks on the sleeves seem to be more viably placd on the upper sleeve.  It is more visible and given the idea of protecting commissioned officers officers, it works.

As far as the combat uniforms, I like the top image, the only thing I question in those iniforms is the differenceds in the belts, specifically the buckles.  Those are all different, but the differences don't make a whole lot of sense.  They don't match the departmental color differences, and yet are not consistent.  I think with a more 'uniform' design on the belts the uniform set as a whole works better.

I feel like this insignia scheme protects the greater investment f time, money and experience in commissioned officers.  It also takes into account that we moved away from all raks having sleeve insignia for officer protection, and then going backward.

This is of course my opinions and I think a vote is appropriate on this topic.

DabuQlu'DI' yISuv - Klingon Proverb - When Threatened, Fight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Earth Proverb - If you wish peace, prepare for war

Kyan Mackenzie

Quote from: Naira on November 05, 2017, 01:16:00 PM

As others have stated, I use the DS9 uniforms when making the ID cards. I wouldn't be opposed to using a different style of uniform if it was voted upon by the members, but the problem with using a lot of the concept ideas like the black uniform shown above is that I'd be working with a drawn image and placing a photo of a realistic face on it and it wouldn't look quite right.

I actually created some uniforms a while back in PS based on the STO designs that are made from actual materials. I'll go find them and post them here. I've only got the front view though, so all bio/id pics would need to be front facing for the time being if we voted for them.

Klizh

I'm personally against this site having its own custom uniform design because there's going to be some people who won't like them. At least when sticking with canon designs they can't argue with those. And it makes it easier for people to make reference pictures of their characters with pre-existing uniform stock material.

Also, according to the Voyager episode "Timeless," by this point Starfleet should still be using the DS9/First Contact uniforms, but the commbadges should be updated with the "All Good Things" design. (Which, personally, I find to be WAY cooler than the Voyager era commbadge design.

I would really like to see this commbadge design instated on the site.

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Naira

Quote from: Klizh on December 27, 2017, 09:33:14 PM

I'm personally against this site having its own custom uniform design because there's going to be some people who won't like them. At least when sticking with canon designs they can't argue with those. And it makes it easier for people to make reference pictures of their characters with pre-existing uniform stock material.

Also, according to the Voyager episode "Timeless," by this point Starfleet should still be using the DS9/First Contact uniforms, but the commbadges should be updated with the "All Good Things" design. (Which, personally, I find to be WAY cooler than the Voyager era commbadge design.

I would really like to see this commbadge design instated on the site.

That could be done if everyone else wants it. I managed to find a few images of it and I think at least one of them was of a decent enough quality that it could be used without needing a lot of work done to it.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.