Athena Mission 2.9: Perfect Paradise

Started by James Carter, November 01, 2017, 12:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: James Carter on November 10, 2017, 01:29:06 PM

[Bridge]

James nodded, thinking carefully. "The region is neutral. While there are several known civilizations, there are none that have reached warp capabilities yet. Or at least, none to our knowledge. Other federation ships have charted the area, however we're nearing the boundaries of charted space. It's possible a sensor malfunction caused the planet to be uncharted, but I'd doubt that. Let's go to yellow alert, once we're close enough scan for life-forms." The Captain commanded. His voice tried to keep up with his mind and nearly failed on several occasions. He tried to think of all the situational outcomes and the consequences that would follow, but without all the variables there were too many options. Most of them were pretty boring.

[Bridge]

Katheryn turned slightly at the hiss of the turbolift doors and saw the XO exit and approach as her and the Captain discussed the situation and agreed with what she had said on the matter. There were definitely questions that needed to be answered and a mystery to be solved regarding the planet that shouldn't be there. Then as the Captain spoke she listened as he explained about the region and that it could be something as simple as a sensor malfunction that had missed the planet off the star charts but even that was doubtful and she could believe that.

With the order of having the ship put on yellow alert and for scans to be done once they got near, Katheryn quickly moved to the Sec/Tac console and relieved Ensign Baker who moved to the auxiliary station.  " Going to yellow alert now Captain " she said and a few seconds later the lights changed and the alert sounded all across the ship.

Academy Commandant

Susan Venator

Quote from: James Carter on November 10, 2017, 01:29:06 PM

[Bridge]

James nodded, thinking carefully. "The region is neutral. While there are several known civilizations, there are none that have reached warp capabilities yet. Or at least, none to our knowledge. Other federation ships have charted the area, however we're nearing the boundaries of charted space. It's possible a sensor malfunction caused the planet to be uncharted, but I'd doubt that. Let's go to yellow alert, once we're close enough scan for life-forms." The Captain commanded. His voice tried to keep up with his mind and nearly failed on several occasions. He tried to think of all the situational outcomes and the consequences that would follow, but without all the variables there were too many options. Most of them were pretty boring.

Bridge

As soon as the Captain ordered Yellow Alert, Suzie got up from the auxiliary console where she had been sitting and went over to the main Ops console.

"I'll take over now Cadet." She said softly in his ear. "You can stay behind me and keep an eye on the main sensor readouts." She added, not wanting to kick him off completely otherwise how was he to learn.

Species: Betazoid
Bio: Susan Venator Bio Alt of Lizzie Vaughan

Arrun Dihsar

[Flight Control Centre]

With the call to yellow alert, Arrun quickly strode back into the room from his inspection of the shuttles. The room was busy with crewmen and officers getting to yellow alert positions. Lt. Ridgeline was giving orders to various crewmen and officers to have the shuttles ready to launch at the Captain's command should he need them. He then looked to Arrun who had just walked in.

"Lieutenant, find out what's going on from the bridge."

"Aye, Sir." Arrun replied.

You made a mistake? Maybe the Lithal Quasar was hiding a hostile ship?

Unlikely, if we were under fire it would be Red Alert. No, Yellow Alert is a common alert to call for. This could be a strange unresponsive ship, an environmental hazard or...

In the midst of his thoughts, Arrun got to his station, checking over the navigational sensors for nearby environmental hazards or ships on course. Instead he saw a distinct lack of something, the Lithol Quasar was gone, instead a planet was there, Class M. "That can't be right." Arrun muttered as he stared at the planet readings on his console, almost thinking the yellow voice was making him see things now. But, sure enough, it was there.

"Arrun, can I get a bridge report?" Said Ridgeline as he ordered a pair of pilots to head down to the shuttle bay in case multiple shuttles were required.

"Yes sir, sorry sir."

=/\=Arrun to Lt. Scott, Lt. Ridgeline requests a status update. Does the bridge require shuttle support at this time?
Also, I would bring to your attention that navigational sensors no longer show the Lithol Quasar, instead an uncharted Class M planet is there. Can we have a verification of new planet and lack of the quasar?
=/\=

It was possible Arrun alone had made a mistake, perhaps an astrometric sensor or log misreading; but for none in the department to notice this in the charts before was altogether a oddity. Even at the edges of uncharted space, planets did not -generally- just appear from nowhere.

Just because it's mapped doesn't mean there not be dragons beyond that horizon. quoted the yellow voice to Arrun; the words of an astrometrics instructor back at the Academy were very odd at the time. Though, the point was clear even then. For many years the wormhole, just a short distance from Bajor, was uncharted despite the Cardassians and Starfleet surveys of the area. So it was not beyond all possibility for a planet to just appear. For once, the yellow voice was comforting, even if it hadn't meant to be so.

Sharhira Dravor

Quote from: T'Lara on November 09, 2017, 08:24:12 PM

[Bridge]

Overhearing the conversations and tuning in to the XO's in particular, T'Lara started checking over the scanning systems and running diagnostics. This ship was new since she'd left the Athena many months ago, but the layout was almost completely identical and her hands flew deftly over the controls as she worked. Looking over at Dravor, she noticed that the woman was also checking over her console. She cleared her throat to get her attention.

"When we get close enough to the planet I would like you to begin and monitor scans and I will work with Ops to launch and monitor the probe," she requested.

[Bridge]

She nodded and started to tap at her console "Aye Lieutenant", resetting her screens to the primary sensor array. Patching in the computer ready to receive probe data "Science station standing by, ready to receive telemetry"

All of a sudden it seemed like the bridge was buzzing with activity. Even just the shift to yellow alert seemed to send everyone in to a rush of activity. It'd been a long time since Sharhira had heard a federation alert signal and it be for real. She shook those thoughts from her head and stared back at the console in front of her.

Kyle Bytes

Quote from: Susan Venator on November 10, 2017, 02:52:53 PM

Bridge

As soon as the Captain ordered Yellow Alert, Suzie got up from the auxiliary console where she had been sitting and went over to the main Ops console.

"I'll take over now Cadet." She said softly in his ear. "You can stay behind me and keep an eye on the main sensor readouts." She added, not wanting to kick him off completely otherwise how was he to learn.

[Bridge]

The Cadet stood up to allow the senior office to take over. It was good long as it lasted. However, he had decided to stand by to learn. It is best to have all the teachers to gain knowledge.

Susan Venator

Quote from: Kyle "Psi" Bytes on November 11, 2017, 12:23:21 AM

[Bridge]

The Cadet stood up to allow the senior office to take over. It was good long as it lasted. However, he had decided to stand by to learn. It is best to have all the teachers to gain knowledge.

Bridge

Suzie immediately took the Cadets place and began to run every scan she could think of. Apart from the fact that there was no record of this planet's existence before today, it was a classic M class planet. Something was not right, but she could not figure out what.

Naira

[Bridge]

It felt as if the entire room had been sucked free of air as it seemed that nearly everyone was holding their breathe in anticipation of what the scans would say. Her eyes were locked on the big blue ball displayed on the viewscreen. From this distance there didn't seem to be anything remarkable about this planet to set it apart from the many others out there that they encountered, but as explorers it was their duty to chart it, mark it on their maps and learn everything they could from it.

Naira peeled her eyes away just long enough to cross the bridge and stand right behind the science officers. "What are you seeing down there? Are there signs of life? Have you found any civilizations or signs that there was any at some point in time?"

The image on the viewscreen appeared to be a lush Earth-like planet, though unlike Earth, it appeared to be void of the signs of deforestation or electrical lighting visible from space.

Susan Venator

Quote from: Naira on November 13, 2017, 02:54:48 AM

[Bridge]

It felt as if the entire room had been sucked free of air as it seemed that nearly everyone was holding their breathe in anticipation of what the scans would say. Her eyes were locked on the big blue ball displayed on the viewscreen. From this distance there didn't seem to be anything remarkable about this planet to set it apart from the many others out there that they encountered, but as explorers it was their duty to chart it, mark it on their maps and learn everything they could from it.

Naira peeled her eyes away just long enough to cross the bridge and stand right behind the science officers. "What are you seeing down there? Are there signs of life? Have you found any civilizations or signs that there was any at some point in time?"

The image on the viewscreen appeared to be a lush Earth-like planet, though unlike Earth, it appeared to be void of the signs of deforestation or electrical lighting visible from space.

Bridge

Suzie looked at the results of her scans and frowned.

"I'm showing all the basic characteristics of an M Class planet. But there are no signs that it is inhabited. I'm not picking up anything on the EM spectrum, no cities, nothing." She reported, knowing that science could give a clearer picture.

Katheryn Brighton

[Bridge]

Katheryn was stood looking over her own readouts as the ship approached the planet that shouldn't be there, listening as the XO spoke to science before Lt Venator gave her own results from the scans. So far from what she had understood everything seemed normal from your typical uninhabited M Class planet but that didn't mean that it was normal thanks to previous experiences when it came to the unknown.

Once Science gave their results and until a decision was made regarding the planet she would maintain the yellow alert. Pausing for a moment to confer with Ensign Baker on what she wanted her to do and checked in with those from her department already on shift. She liked to be prepared and this was no different. She was also thankful to Wendy for giving her the vitamin shot before she left Sickbay as the last thing she wanted was to have a drop in energy right now. Katheryn knew she would need to speak to Caleb at some point but it could wait until the right moment so for now returned to her console.

Academy Commandant

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on November 09, 2017, 08:07:50 AM

[Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]

Katheryn smiled seeing Caleb's reaction to the pendant, she had a feeling that he would love it but actually hearing it from him was better than anything she could imagine. " I'm glad you do my love and I think he does approve " She replied as Buddy gave an appreciative meow when Caleb put the pendant on . " As do I " she added before he walked over to her, responding to his tender kiss as he then held her close and spoke about their wedding and them being able to have a few days on their own and that the pendant was one of the best gifts he had received.

She knew their shift pattern had changed and it was taking some getting used to which made moments like this even more special " I can't wait either Cal and it's a family tradition to receive one of those and since your now a member mum and I agreed that it only seemed fitting for you to have yours now " she revealed just before the Captain's voice echoed through her comm badge and she knew she had to get to the Bridge asap hearing the urgency in his voice.

Letting go of Caleb slightly so she could reach up and respond  =/\= Carter to Captain, understood I'm on my way  =/\=

Turning her attention to Cal " Duty calls but I shall see you later, I promise " she said before kissing him lightly then playfully escaped from his arms to give Buddy an affectionate pat then paused at the doorway to blow him one last kiss. Smiling as she walked away from his office, she was about to reach the exit when Wendy came over with a hypo in her hand.

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]

Caleb's eyes gleamed with happiess."Oh Babe I love it,"He said as he put it on. When Katheyrn left, he noticed that Wendy had something in her hand as his office door opened and closed when Katheryn. He would ask Wendy about it later. He ran a few fingers over the pendant as he put it around his neck and under his uniform.

He stood up for a moment to check on Buddy. His face went from happiness to sadness. He clutched his hears and closed his eyes. The air in the room seemed to turn cold. "Jenna," He said. Tears began to well in his eyes before he felt a paw tap on his nose.

He then laughed as Buddy mewed and snuggled up to his face. Caleb grabbed Buddy and sat down with him petting him. The tears were gone for the moment and he used a tissue to blow his nose.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Kyle Bytes

[Bridge]

The Cadet whispered to the higher rank female. "That makes no sense. Maybe we are looking for wrong life signs.." he was using his curve way of thinking. "Maybe...er... we could be on diffrent spectum?" He asked. He was picturing ants under ground who build tunnels to homes. There were termites too. He had no idea why he had bugs in his head. Who knows? It could have been their last visitors of bugs on the ship.

Susan Venator

Quote from: Kyle "Psi" Bytes on November 13, 2017, 09:08:49 PM

[Bridge]

The Cadet whispered to the higher rank female. "That makes no sense. Maybe we are looking for wrong life signs.." he was using his curve way of thinking. "Maybe...er... we could be on diffrent spectum?" He asked. He was picturing ants under ground who build tunnels to homes. There were termites too. He had no idea why he had bugs in his head. Who knows? It could have been their last visitors of bugs on the ship.

Bridge

Suzie listened to what the Cadet had to say and nodded.

"Ok, give it a go. There is bound to be life as I've never come across an M class planet devoid of life. Do a broader search and then narrow it down if you find something." She replied.

Naira

[Bridge]

Naira leaned over the chair of the science lieutenant as she read over the results of their latest scan. "If I'm reading this correctly, the planet is not devoid of life. Our scan seems to be picking up many plants and what appears to be smaller animal life, but it's not detecting any humanoids or higher beings. And I'm not seeing any signs of any civilizations, past or present."

She turned to look at the Captain and the Chief of Security.

"It might be worth sending a team or two down to explore the surface. I'm sure science would love the opportunity to collect some samples for further analysis and after our last mission I'm sure the crew would appreciate the chance to stretch their legs and get some fresh air. While we aren't detecting any signs of large predators that should pose a threat, I think our people should still be outfitted with phasers just in case."

She took a deep breath and addressed the rest of the Bridge, "Lieutenant Scott, would like to pilot one of the shuttles? Cadet Dravor will you be joining the science team?"

Then, she turned to the ops officers on the bridge. "Can you kindly address the crew know and let them know that we will be taking the time to explore this planet and that anyone who would like to join an away team should report to the Main Shuttle Bay."

Katheryn Brighton

[Bridge]

As the XO turned to her and the Captain and told them what Science had found, she agreed with her suggestion to send down a team or two to explore the surface properly and that the opportunity to get off the ship and actually feel proper air and soft ground underneath them. She also immediately thought of Caleb and how he would enjoy getting to spend some time on a planet with only plants and small animal life and perhaps bring that notebook of his to jot it all down.

Of course she understood that there might still be risks and because the scans hadn't shown humanoid life, higher beings or large predators, it didn't mean that things could change once they were down there so had no issue providing everyone with phasers as a precaution.

" I agree Commander, I'll go to the Armoury now with a small Security team and meet those who are going on the away teams in the Main Shuttlebay" she said before the Commander addressed the rest of the Bridge.

Leaving the Sec/Tac station in the capable hands of Ensign Baker, Katheryn then headed for the turbolift to take the short journey down to the Armoury, tapping her comm badge once inside instructing Alpha team to join her there.

Academy Commandant

Sharhira Dravor

Quote from: Naira on November 15, 2017, 06:07:11 PM

[Bridge]

Naira leaned over the chair of the science lieutenant as she read over the results of their latest scan. "If I'm reading this correctly, the planet is not devoid of life. Our scan seems to be picking up many plants and what appears to be smaller animal life, but it's not detecting any humanoids or higher beings. And I'm not seeing any signs of any civilizations, past or present."

She turned to look at the Captain and the Chief of Security.

"It might be worth sending a team or two down to explore the surface. I'm sure science would love the opportunity to collect some samples for further analysis and after our last mission I'm sure the crew would appreciate the chance to stretch their legs and get some fresh air. While we aren't detecting any signs of large predators that should pose a threat, I think our people should still be outfitted with phasers just in case."

She took a deep breath and addressed the rest of the Bridge, "Lieutenant Scott, would like to pilot one of the shuttles? Cadet Dravor will you be joining the science team?"

Then, she turned to the ops officers on the bridge. "Can you kindly address the crew know and let them know that we will be taking the time to explore this planet and that anyone who would like to join an away team should report to the Main Shuttle Bay."

[Bridge]

As the XO came to join them at the science station Sharhira straightened up a little more. She didn't seem to need to repeat the results to her as the XO began to reel off what the sensors had revealed. She nodded and span around to face her as she was addressed. Standing to full attention and affirming "Aye Lieutenant Commander"

Moments later she was hurrying off the bridge in to the turbolift.

[Deck 6]

The Andorian burst out of the turbolift and was near running down the corridors before making a sharp turn in to one of the exobiology labs. Not bothering to stop to chat to the crewmen, pulling a science kit from a locker and making sure to stock it up with extra sample containers, yanking the tricorder out and making sure it was fully charged and functional before pushing it back in to the kit. The Cadet mumbling to herself all the time. Leaving as rapidly as she entered, the pair of crewmen left behind shrugging and commenting "What was that all about?"

[Main Shuttlebay]

The Cadet still hadn't slowed her pace, not until she reaches the shuttlebay does she slow. Clutching the strap of her science kit tightly to her shoulder as she looks around to see if she can find someone to report in to.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.