Author Topic: The Orville vs Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 7526 times)

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Orville vs Star Trek: Discovery
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:25:31 pm »
Here we go!

So, I've watched the first two episodes of 'The Orville.'

For a comedy, it is so so.

But I'm finding myself comparing it to Star Trek: Discovery.

The Orville has a much cooler ship, more aliens, and better uniforms.  Also the special effects are pretty great.

What do the rest of you think?

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Orville vs Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:00:25 pm »
I've only seen images and clips from Discovery, but I've been watching every episode of The Orville as it comes out. I can't give a complete comparison of the two but I will say that I have been really enjoy The Orville. It has a very "trek" feel to it and you can tell the writers are really big fans.

I originally went into it thinking that it would be some really cheesy knock-off of Trek, full of fart joke and I was gladly surprised that it is so much more. They have clearly put a lot of thought into it.

Yes, it does have a lot more jokes than trek and some of them are kind of crude, but I also think many show a more real-to-life version of trek with some of the scenes depicting awkward elevator rides, a first time bridge officer being terrified to make important decisions and having to hold off using the restroom because your superior officer wants to have an impromptu conversation with you about something not that important, but you can't leave until they dismiss you.

Kirok, I'd recommend watching episodes 3 and 4 because it only gets better. The 3rd deals with an ethical dilemma and the 4th has first contact with an alien race with a touch of prime directive issues going on. The 4th episode in particular very well could have been a trek episode.

I also agree that the Orville has a cool looking ship, I love the uniforms and the variety of the aliens (one of which is a gelatinous mass who keeps trying and failing to flirt with the ship's doctor.) And the ship battles look great.

Also, is it just me or do the Kree vessels look like they could be of Romulan design? 

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:21:24 pm »
I am stunned to say that I like The Orville. I agree with Naira, I was expecting typical Seth McFarlane fart jokes, but while there is some low brow humor, the plots of the episodes have been extremely good especially episode 3 About a Girl. I think the uniforms are very nice, but I think the ship looks more something Nike would make, but I don't hate it.

I have already commented on Discovery and will just parrot what Jada said in the other thread. It's a decent science fiction show, it's not just not Trek. 

Offline Fala Awen

• Condemner of Food, Things, and Supplies
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Think they'll have THAT on the tour?
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Three year award Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:32:59 pm »
I've watched every episode of The Orville and love the show. Of course, since it's on Fox there's always the concern it won't last longer than one season. O.o

In any event, I really enjoy The Orville. It's sort of a more comedic, down-to-earth, realistic version of TNG. Some of it is cheesy or makes me want to roll my eyes, but there's comparatively less of those bits than the parts I enjoy. I don't mind the uniforms though the colors a bit bright for my personal taste. The ship isn't necessarily your standard ST ship, but then this isn't actually ST so I don't mind.

Naira's review is pretty close to what I would say about it.

As far as Star Trek: Discovery (STD)... Honestly, I can't even bring myself to watch it. I'm sure some people do/will love it and that's completely fine,  but I just...no. For one thing, they're going back to an earlier time again which is really frustrating (is there some aversion to moving into the future? I mean, I guess that means they can't "screw up" the future for us who are simming, but still). They've redesigned Klingons majorly - I can't understand how you can take STD Klingons, then explain how they turn into TOS or TNG Klingons (I know TOS ones were explained as a mutation).

I couldn't even bring myself to watch ENT. I remember flipping through the channels and finding a sci-fi show which I started to watching thinking it was kinda neat. Then I saw the theme. And saw it was supposed to be Star Trek...with that theme. Yikes. I couldn't bring myself to watch any more of it. If it hadn't been Trek, I might have been able to deal with it, but ENT and ST just didn't mesh in my mind. I saw bits and pieces (couldn't bring myself to finish a full episode), but overall I couldn't even watch it.

So when STD was being talked about and I read about it I knew I wouldn't be able to watch it. Sorry STD fans.

Anyway, for me...Orville good. STD not good.

Species: Bajoran- Click on ID for bio
USS Shran Commanding Officer, Academy Operations Instructor

We go from zero to Velociraptor very quickly...

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
Hello,

I am enjoying the Orville.  I think it is at its best when it makes the fewest jokes.  In particular the last episode I saw reminded me a lot of TOS.

So far, Discovery is shaping up to be an intriguing sci-fi show that does not 'feel' like (or often look like) Star Trek.

While Orville (when they aren't using their tryhard jokes) feels like TNG and TOS.

It's a strange season of 'television' this cycle.  A non Trek show that feels pretty Trek and a Trek show that feels pretty unTrek.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Kyle Briggs

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:07:39 pm »
I've only watched the first episode of Discovery and sadly couldn't get into it enough to pay for the rest. I may give it try eventually but fr now, I am really enjoying The Orville. I've never really been a Seth fan (Can't stand Family Guy, American Dad, etc.....) but I do like this show. As was mentioned before, not as much comedy as I expected. They balance it really well IMO.

Offline Demlion Riverbank V

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:26:13 pm »
Oh silly me, I saw Orville first thing came to my mind was POPCORN.....

I had to share that

Parent character us D'Vid

Player to player: don't be shy to be mean to my Vorta

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:21:23 am »
The trailers positioned it as a comedy and, as a comedy, it's pretty bad.
Episode 3 broke my goddamn heart.
Like some of the better TNG episodes.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 06:05:48 pm »
This show is all over the place. One minute Norm MacDonald is making a toilet joke and the next they're discussing transgender rights in a way that rivals TNG. It's too jarring to get so involved in something so deep and then all of the sudden there's a fart joke or something. It can't be both, because it's not succeeding as either.

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:50:37 pm »
This show is all over the place. One minute Norm MacDonald is making a toilet joke and the next they're discussing transgender rights in a way that rivals TNG. It's too jarring to get so involved in something so deep and then all of the sudden there's a fart joke or something. It can't be both, because it's not succeeding as either.

That is true, I think eventually they will have to decide if they want to take it in a more serious direction or veer off into fart joke comedy. I'm really hoping they go the more serious route as it does have the potential to be very good and fill the void for all the fans who seem to be disappointed with Discovery.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:43 am »
This last episode of the Orville was very good.  I have a bit of a review here.

The Orville - Episode 6: I think this is my new favorite episode of the show.  It's the first episode that has a story which is really not derived directly from an episode of Star Trek, but it still managed to encapsulate a Trek spirit.  (Yes, I can hear Orville fans say "Orville is its own thing!"  But any honest appraisal must see Orville as a love letter to Trek.)  I think I could recommend this episode to anyone who enjoyed Trek without reservation.  Also?  This would be a decent episode to bring in a new viewer.  I think you could enjoy it without knowledge of any other episodes.

SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER

It's hard to tell a war story with a lot of action and killing in which the good guys triumph against evil... but also in which war and battles aren't glorified.  This episode managed it. 

(Discovery Comparison Alert) It was almost startling to see an episode of a Seth McFarlane show that developed its villains better in this one hour than Discovery has managed since its debut.  This is especially surprising since Discovery has had long periods of the show on Klingon ships watching Klingon crew, but has conveyed very little of Klingon culture or motivation.   Here, without actually learning much about the holy book of the Krill, we begin get a real feeling for who they are.

Complexity.  The Captain is assigned to learn about the Krill via their religion.  Then he learns that a colony is slated for destruction.  So he changes his mission.  But he doesn't want to kill kids.  So he saves the kids.  But they will grow up to despise him and hate the Union.  I love that this wasn't a happy tied-up-in-a-bow ending.  This is what a no-win scenario really looks like. 

Some gripes- The amount of information the Union has on the Krill is weirdly spotty.  Basically they know everything they need for the plot, but don't know anything the plot needs them to not know.   

Oddity- language.  We see everyone speak English.  But the Krill don't speak English, surely.  Is it to be assumed that the holo-generator both translates the speech and makes the lips move according to the new words?  Or do Union people have an implant that allows them to speak foreign tongues in the fashion of natives?  If so... how can you perfectly replicate the language of another species while also not understanding anything about their religion?  Did they find a dictionary and grammar textbook without finding a Bible?

Humor - "That's a new leg!"  I laughed.  The humor doesn't usually tickle me on this show, but that was a nice payoff from a previous episode.

Two thumbs up on this one!

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:20 pm »
I completely agree with Mister Solluk's analysis.
Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline Octavia Phae

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 02:07:21 am »
I've only seen the pilot of the Orville.

But I think Discovery is absolutely brilliant it feels more like a movie
The ships, uniforms, and special effects are jaw dropping. I wish TNG had the budget Discovery does.

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 10:57:59 am »
I've only seen the pilot of the Orville.

But I think Discovery is absolutely brilliant it feels more like a movie
The ships, uniforms, and special effects are jaw dropping. I wish TNG had the budget Discovery does.

And here we have the quintessential difference between younger fans and older fans 'shiny ships, uniforms, and special effects' versus plot. Ms Phae's opinions are certainly as valid as anyone's and I respect and celebrate her for having them in the finest traditions of IDIC. However, her opinion sums up the differences between the generations better than I could ever hope to express.

On The Orville, especially as it is a creation of Seth McFarland whose work I have never liked, we have plots of such poignancy that I frankly have a difficult time reconciling that they are from the same man that created The Family Guy. Compared to The Orville's thought provoking storylines, we have a lot of 'oooh shiny, blink blink' effects built around the preposterous notion of the "Spore Drive;" a technology we know has to be doomed to failure because Kirk and Picard do not have such technology.

I have watched every episode of both series and I am stunned to find myself looking forward to each new chance to see The Orville. Whereas with Discovery, I find myself setting the bar to 'maybe it won't suck as much as the last one' and they have failed to even reach that pathetic standard. Ultimately, I come back to Jada's comment time and time again, Discovery is a decent science fiction series, it's just not a Trek series. The Orville, on the other hand, captures the essence of Star Trek in a way that I think even Gene Roddenberry would respect.
Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 10:25:20 am »
So... there was a D7 cruiser in the last episode of Discovery.

I'll have to get a screen shot.  They only showed it briefly.

Ummm...

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles