Athena Mission 2.8: Skin Scratchers

Started by James Carter, October 01, 2017, 01:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Carter

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 04, 2017, 02:32:59 PM

Thinking on this, Ash came to a conclusion. "I know what you mean. She's been a constant presence in my life since I left home and joined the Athena... I might check in on her later. So, if she kills me for interrupting something important, I want you to give me a good funeral." Her joking manner sent the corners of her mouth tipping upwards into another smile, and that stayed in place as she continued talking to her friend. "I've been fine - busy making messes like usual. And no more crazed, axe-men have torn into my room lately, so that's a plus. I've just got a lot to think about, more than anything else, I guess."

She hesitated a brief instant before continuing, "How about you?" She knew how upset he had been after the situation with the armor, and, while he seemed fine now, an experience like that didn't fade so easily. Ash unfortunately had first hand experience in that department. It had been a long time since the Danny incident, but she doubted she'd ever truly be able to forget about it.

[Bridge]

James smile slowly faded as Ash asked how he was. It was easy to fake being good when no one asked, and most people wouldn't be able to tell if he lied either. But there was no point. "I'm as good as I can be. There's nothing I could've done to change what happened. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. You think on it for too long and you lose your mind." It was as honest as he got, which made him slightly uncomfortable actually.

=/\= Captain Carter, there' s something you need to see in containment. =/\=

Carter sighed slightly tapping his comm badge to reply. =/\= Alright. I'll be there in a moment. =/\= The Captain quickly rose to a stand and looked directly to Ash. "Would you like to join me Ash? I certainly won't argue with the company."

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 05, 2017, 12:27:38 AM

[Main Security]

"That's very good to hear."

Security was one department that certainly had an advantage on a small science vessel when compared to a large starbase full of civilians, passing merchants and travelers. With the entire crew consisting of those trained in Starfleet regulations, she didn't expect there to be the drunken disorderlies, arguments that turned physical or grave cultural misunderstanding that might happen in another setting.

She eyed the cells, the console and the empty seats. Everything seemed to be in order here.

"How about the weapons lockers, are they kept locked when not in use? Do you keep records of who has checked out a weapon, which weapons they have, how long they have them and if they have been discharged?"

[Main Security]

" Thank you Commander, I do like to maintain a high standard when it comes to this sort of thing " she replied as she took one last look around the Brig and made a mental note to look over the latest maintenance logs when she returned to her office.

Then answered the XO's questions about the weapon lockers. " Yes they are kept locked at all times and each security team member has their own access code to open them " she said " as for records we do keep them for those exact reasons so we know who has what, how long for and why and if they have been discharged and these also checked regularly to make sure everything is correct and if you like we can go there next".

Academy Commandant

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: James Carter on October 05, 2017, 03:44:31 AM

[Bridge]

James smile slowly faded as Ash asked how he was. It was easy to fake being good when no one asked, and most people wouldn't be able to tell if he lied either. But there was no point. "I'm as good as I can be. There's nothing I could've done to change what happened. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. You think on it for too long and you lose your mind." It was as honest as he got, which made him slightly uncomfortable actually.

=/\= Captain Carter, there' s something you need to see in containment. =/\=

Carter sighed slightly tapping his comm badge to reply. =/\= Alright. I'll be there in a moment. =/\= The Captain quickly rose to a stand and looked directly to Ash. "Would you like to join me Ash? I certainly won't argue with the company."

[Bridge]

After a moment she ventured, "It gets better eventually... And talking helps." She offered her friend a kind, if somber, smile, with the faint shadows in her eyes revealing a personal understanding. "You can't help but feel responsible, and-" Ash broke off, glancing around the manned Bridge, and suddenly she couldn't help but feel self-conscious about what she was saying. That was a conversation better suited to privacy. Preferably over strong drinks. "Well... You know my door's always open."

When the message came through for James, Ash had been reluctantly ready to retreat back to the mess hall. His invitation to join him came as a welcome surprise. Gone were the shadows from their earlier conversation. Ash grinned, "I'd be happy to. Lead the way, Captain."

Constance Lafayette

[Admiral's Office]

=/\="Captain Carter."=/\= Constance's voice cut in.
=/\="I've been going over Gamma quadrant assignments and I've assigned the Athena her next mission. Once we finish up at the science station we are set us to relieve the USS Bharata in Sector A-5. It should only be a few days but they've been on extended deployment and their crew could use some R&R."=/\= She reported, tiredly. Ash wasn't wrong that she'd been eating just about nothing but nutrition supplements and caffeine but the work wouldn't be done until she was dead (and even then she'd probably have to fill out paper in whatever afterlife there way).

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Morok Curgh

[Crew Quarters]

All was quiet in Moroks room. The soft sound of jazz music wafting through the air to help keep him asleep. A small village sat in the center of his room tiny little homes stacked together in a cul-de-sac fashion reminiscent of 20th century earth. Little cars on streets and miniature people on their way to their miniature jobs.

A peacefull existence for non-existant people on just another personal project only half finished inside of the rather otherwise spartan crew quarters.

Yet as the time rolled on he tossed and turned from one side to the other, Sounds of sleep were replaced by those of muttering and rolling. "Get out of there" Beads of sweat rolled down his face and back pooling onto the blankets as he continued to mutter. "Can't hold out much longer"

Suddenly he sat up bolt right shouting. "She's gonna blow!" Before realizing where and when he happens to actually be. His brow covered in sweat his eyes blearily focusing on nothing as he stumbled back to a stand.

He practically fell over the first two steps from his bed as the crying started from the other section of room. It was no surprise he'd managed to wake up Jr. Even as he stumbled blindly in the dark he attempted to shh the cries making his way over towards the crib as the lights picked back up.

"Don't worry, it's alright daddies here." Spoken softly as he wiped the sweat from his eyes, grabbing hold of the small bundle of joy and beginning to rock him softly back to sleep.

"shhh, everything's fine" Spoken through heavy breathing of another night terror. It was the sort of thing he'd just had to deal with since the war, the kind of thing he wanted desperately to keep from the rest of the crew. He needed this star-fleet position. It had to work out.

Then the realization hit him: He was late for his shift.

Setting the young boy back down into his crib Morok began to rush about the room leaving a trail of sweat behind him as he scrambled to get ready in time. One foot fell in front of the other as he practically fell into the table of miniatures in the center of his room.

"Can't be late again... Not again." As he went through the process of a quick shower.

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Arrun Dihsar on October 04, 2017, 11:18:23 PM

[Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]

Arrun nodded as the Doctor spoke, not quite looking at him but pensive regarding his words. Keeping a PADD around was going to a little annoying; but, he preferred it over marking his arm as Lt.Brighton had.  "I think I can do that." He said after a moment. "I'll be sure to check in with you if things change." He then looked back to Lieutenant Brighton. "Am I clear to fly then, sir?" Despite all attempts to be eased, Arrun was still his parents' son and saw the pips and uniform before the man. He knew it made for a little distance, a distance he might one day close; but for now, he was fine with Brighton as the CMO, a superior officer, and ship's councilor.

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office ]

Caleb listened to what Arrun had to say. He gave himself a moment to collect his thoughts. Nothing the man had said led him to believe he would not be fit to do his duty. If Arrun could run simulations and stay focused even with the thoughts he was describing, he saw no reason to think the man couldn't do his job.

"I do believe you are able to fulfil your duties. The thoughts still concern me for your well being overall, however the way you describe them now leads me to believe they will soon be out of the way. You have my blessing to get back to work," Caleb said with a smile.

He then rolled back his sleeve to show a tattoo that looked like a tick mark. He had it positioned so that, to the untrained eye, it looked like he didn't have it. However, it peeked out just enough for him to see. "Between you and I," He said. "I got this when my thoughts became back to being my own. I am no stranger to what you are going through. The situation is different, but I do mean it when I say for you to come to me if you have concerns."

He rolled his sleeve back to normal and stood up. "Let me walk you out," Caleb said with a smile as he headed over to get the door so the two could leave. He was glad to speak to Arrun and hoped that he would get to see him in non professional situations. Being the new CMO would take getting used  to, but Arrun was respectful and he would in turn show that respect right back.

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 05, 2017, 06:45:07 AM

[Main Security]

" Thank you Commander, I do like to maintain a high standard when it comes to this sort of thing " she replied as she took one last look around the Brig and made a mental note to look over the latest maintenance logs when she returned to her office.

Then answered the XO's questions about the weapon lockers. " Yes they are kept locked at all times and each security team member has their own access code to open them " she said " as for records we do keep them for those exact reasons so we know who has what, how long for and why and if they have been discharged and these also checked regularly to make sure everything is correct and if you like we can go there next".

[Main Security]

"Yes, I'd like to take a quick look. I also want to ask you about your department, are you having any problems with anyone serving under you? Are you lacking any much needed equipment or have any supplies that you need ordering? It is my goal for us to work together for the good of the ship and her crew."

Naira brought her padd up to her chest and was ready to mark down anything the lieutenant had to say. 

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 05, 2017, 03:54:54 PM

[Main Security]

"Yes, I'd like to take a quick look. I also want to ask you about your department, are you having any problems with anyone serving under you? Are you lacking any much needed equipment or have any supplies that you need ordering? It is my goal for us to work together for the good of the ship and her crew."

Naira brought her padd up to her chest and was ready to mark down anything the lieutenant had to say.

[Main Security]

" I'll take you there now " Katheryn replied politely as she led the way back through to the main hub and stopped in front of a side door and entered her access codes to open up the Armoury. When the doors swished back you could quite clearly see the weapon lockers all stood in a row. She paused for a moment to think about the XO's questions.

" No there hasn't been any problems with those serving under me and if there has its something I'm not aware of as those in my department know that they can come to me at anytime" she replied " I want us to work together for the good of the ship and crew, Commander, I think we have all the equipment we need at the moment and as for supplies, I can get a list to you once I'm able to go through the inventory" she said knowing that the daily audit needed doing.

Academy Commandant

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 05, 2017, 04:05:14 PM

[Main Security]

" I'll take you there now " Katheryn replied politely as she led the way back through to the main hub and stopped in front of a side door and entered her access codes to open up the Armoury. When the doors swished back you could quite clearly see the weapon lockers all stood in a row. She paused for a moment to think about the XO's questions.

" No there hasn't been any problems with those serving under me and if there has its something I'm not aware of as those in my department know that they can come to me at anytime" she replied " I want us to work together for the good of the ship and crew, Commander, I think we have all the equipment we need at the moment and as for supplies, I can get a list to you once I'm able to go through the inventory" she said knowing that the daily audit needed doing.

[Main Security]

Naira followed the other woman over to the armory and briefly inspected the weapons lockers. Everything seemed to be kept neat and tidy. All the weapons were properly sorted and stored by type. She trusted that the other woman had her logs in order and it seemed as if she had a pretty good handle on her department, despite Naira's earlier concerns.

"If you can go ahead and get me that supply order at your earliest convenience, I will make sure that we get you everything we need the next time we stop to resupply."

Naira made herself a note for later on the padd so that she would remember to inspect that list as soon as she got it.

"I believe that answers all of my questions. Thank you, Lieutenant. Now is there anything I can help you with before I meet with some of the other department heads?"

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 05, 2017, 05:42:03 PM

[Main Security]

Naira followed the other woman over to the armory and briefly inspected the weapons lockers. Everything seemed to be kept neat and tidy. All the weapons were properly sorted and stored by type. She trusted that the other woman had her logs in order and it seemed as if she had a pretty good handle on her department, despite Naira's earlier concerns.

"If you can go ahead and get me that supply order at your earliest convenience, I will make sure that we get you everything we need the next time we stop to resupply."

Naira made herself a note for later on the padd so that she would remember to inspect that list as soon as she got it.

"I believe that answers all of my questions. Thank you, Lieutenant. Now is there anything I can help you with before I meet with some of the other department heads?"

[Main Security]

Katheryn stood back so as to allow the Commander a better view of the Armoury and for her to inspect the weapon lockers. Feeling a sense of relief mixed with pride at what she had achieved so far since taking over the department from an old friend. " I will Commander and I'll have that sent to you within the next couple of hours and thank you" she replied knowing what she would once this meeting was over so as not to keep her waiting.

When she then asked if there was anything else she could help her with before meeting the other department heads, Katheryn didn't think there was and didn't want to keep her here if it was unnecessary. " Anytime Commander and no I don't think there is ".

Academy Commandant

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 05, 2017, 05:52:26 PM

[Main Security]

Katheryn stood back so as to allow the Commander a better view of the Armoury and for her to inspect the weapon lockers. Feeling a sense of relief mixed with pride at what she had achieved so far since taking over the department from an old friend. " I will Commander and I'll have that sent to you within the next couple of hours and thank you" she replied knowing what she would once this meeting was over so as not to keep her waiting.

When she then asked if there was anything else she could help her with before meeting the other department heads, Katheryn didn't think there was and didn't want to keep her here if it was unnecessary. " Anytime Commander and no I don't think there is ".

[Main Security]

"Well, it was a pleasure meeting you. I will let you get back to your duties and hopefully not take up anymore of your time today."

She waited for a moment to see if they other woman felt the need to reply, then she turned and headed for the door. Internally she debated where to head next. She could go seven decks down, meet the Chief of Engineering and then make her way back up to inspect the shuttlebay, science labs and hopefully catch the Chief Medical Officer when he wasn't busy or she could do it in reverse order saving her a bit of time in the turbolifts.

Engineering or Medical?

It was a tough choice. Naturally she felt more comfortable being in sickbay, but she needed to get out of that mindset. She was still a doctor, yes, but her duties extended far beyond that. She needed to acquaint herself with every department on the ship and those running them.

She got into the turbolift.

"Computer, Deck 11, Main Engineering."

During the short ride she looked back over her padd and tried to go over what kind of questions she was going to ask the Chief. She hadn't had to rehearse a speech since her time at the academy but engineering was always one of those subjects that she was never very good at. She knew the anatomy of several dozens of different species but for the life of her, she didn't understand the inner workings of a starship beyond some rudimentary concepts.

Stepping out of the turbolift, she stood for a moment and stared at the swirling colors of the warp core. In it's own way, it was kind of beautiful and she could see why someone would want to spend their time down here.

"Excuse me Crewman," she called over a man working at a nearby station. "Can you help point me in the direction of your Chief?" 

Arrun Dihsar

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on October 05, 2017, 12:11:50 PM

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office ]

Caleb listened to what Arrun had to say. He gave himself a moment to collect his thoughts. Nothing the man had said led him to believe he would not be fit to do his duty. If Arrun could run simulations and stay focused even with the thoughts he was describing, he saw no reason to think the man couldn't do his job.

"I do believe you are able to fulfil your duties. The thoughts still concern me for your well being overall, however the way you describe them now leads me to believe they will soon be out of the way. You have my blessing to get back to work," Caleb said with a smile.

He then rolled back his sleeve to show a tattoo that looked like a tick mark. He had it positioned so that, to the untrained eye, it looked like he didn't have it. However, it peeked out just enough for him to see. "Between you and I," He said. "I got this when my thoughts became back to being my own. I am no stranger to what you are going through. The situation is different, but I do mean it when I say for you to come to me if you have concerns."

He rolled his sleeve back to normal and stood up. "Let me walk you out," Caleb said with a smile as he headed over to get the door so the two could leave. He was glad to speak to Arrun and hoped that he would get to see him in non professional situations. Being the new CMO would take getting used  to, but Arrun was respectful and he would in turn show that respect right back.

[Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]
"Thank you, sir," Arrun smiled a little and nodded his head as he was led out of the office. "I do appreciate the offer; no offense meant, but I hope we do not need to meet in an official capacity soon." His smile finally warmed a bit just then, if only a moment before he carried on out of the office and indeed the Medical Bay.

[Enroute to Flight Control]
It was a huge relief to finally be back on duty. Though, he was unlikely to have any assignments for little while, since he had been out of rotation for a while. As his thoughts turned to the Doctor, he was glad to meet someone who wasn't too forceful with the hypospray method or dismissive of his meditative exercises. In his short emergency aid courses, the Bajoran folk remedies did not meld well with a certain Vulcan's logical mindset of modern medicine. Arrun didn't solely rely on such remedies, his parents were not the spirital types themselves after all; but, he had found various chemical treatments for past mental ailments to do more harm to him then good; though, he understood why they were helpful for others. In Lt. Brighton's case, he seemed more the talk-it-out type, with a bit of mindfulness thrown in: it was, refreshing.

As he stepped into a turbolift he shook his head, "I certainly hope he hasn't suffered half as bad as I did." He muttered to himself while lost in thought. "Maybe I'll ask him one day." He stood there in the unmoving turbolift and blinked in confusion as to why is wasn't moving. "Oh! Deck 10!" He said aloud, glad no-one had seen his lapse in concentration.

[Deck 10 - Flight Control Center]
As Arrun stepped into the control center, he nodded to a couple pilots and maintenance crewmen. He then found a spare PADD laying around, after checking to ensure it wasn't being actively used by someone else, and began noting his thoughts periodically using Lt.Brighton's method. He then logged himself as active and checked the rotations of the roster. "Excuse me," Arrun asked a nearby crewman. "It says here a crewman Lissa Rose is on bridge duty?"

"Yes, sir." Arrun blinked at the crewmen until it clicked that he was a lieutenant now. He had almost grown accustomed to being called Ensign that it struck him odd. Protocol had Ensigns still called sir, like every other officer; but, in practice Ensigns were just called Ensigns; at least in Arrun's experience. "No hostile action going on, plus it's just an A to B flight; just logging in her hours."

"Oh, I have nothing wrong with the crewman having the spot; I just didn't recognize the name." Arrun pointed out.

"Very good, sir. Anything else I can help you with sir?"

"No, that's all, thank you crewman." He said as the crewmen quickly hurried off to whatever duty Arrun had held him up from.

Arrun then made himself useful by finding a station and looking over the steller cartography charts of the Sapienta's route ahead for the science outpost; it wasn't very complex work and would take him only a couple hours to recheck the notes and files regarding the area.

As he worked, the Department Head, one Lt. Ridgeline, came by Arrun's console.

"Nice to see you up and around, Arrun. You picked the lucky spot to be tonight." To which he laid down a PADD full of navigational data regarding sector A-5.

"I need you to look this sector over, see if anything stands out that shouldn't. Won't be heading there for a while, but better to be ahead of the game." To which he walked away with a smile at having passed off some rather heavy work.

Arrun's wish had been granted, from Medical Leave to buried in work. It was one thing to check the helm and nav-data on a warp route; it was another matter entirely to researching a whole Sector. A-5 wasn't a sector that sprung to Arrun's memory. Perhaps this is a combat patrol? Some sort of secret mission? Or even a false chart laid out to lure the Athena into danger!. Arrun blinked, then he sighed, and noted the stray thought into his PADD in bright yellow, noting in maroon: Unlikely, not all of space is out to get us; only parts of it. Arrun chuckled, much to the confusion of the others working hard in the Control Centre, before setting his PADD down beginning his studies: first the route ahead and then this Sector A-5.

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 05, 2017, 07:04:28 PM

[Main Security]

"Well, it was a pleasure meeting you. I will let you get back to your duties and hopefully not take up anymore of your time today."

She waited for a moment to see if they other woman felt the need to reply, then she turned and headed for the door.

[Main Security]

" It was a pleasure to meet you too Commander and thank you" Katheryn replied before the XO left the room glad that despite the initial awkwardness and uncertainty at their first meeting that it had gone well. However now that she was alone well apart from the members of her team that were in and out of the area as they went about their duties decided to get a head start on the supply list for the XO and also go through the other reports that needed her attention.

" Richards, I'll be in my office if anyone needs me and send Dr Brighton a schedule of available times for the weapons range so we can arrange for his team to come down when they're off duty" she said as she walked across the main hub to her office.

" Understood Chief and I'll send them up to him now"Richards replied from the console he was sat at.

" Thank you" she said before entering her office and sat down at the desk, smiling at the photos of her and Caleb, her parents and Buddy the kitten she had gotten for her fiance. Then turning to her computer terminal entered her access code and started looking through the inventory to see what they were short on. 

Academy Commandant

James Carter

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 05, 2017, 09:57:20 AM

[Bridge]

After a moment she ventured, "It gets better eventually... And talking helps." She offered her friend a kind, if somber, smile, with the faint shadows in her eyes revealing a personal understanding. "You can't help but feel responsible, and-" Ash broke off, glancing around the manned Bridge, and suddenly she couldn't help but feel self-conscious about what she was saying. That was a conversation better suited to privacy. Preferably over strong drinks. "Well... You know my door's always open."

When the message came through for James, Ash had been reluctantly ready to retreat back to the mess hall. His invitation to join him came as a welcome surprise. Gone were the shadows from their earlier conversation. Ash grinned, "I'd be happy to. Lead the way, Captain."

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on October 05, 2017, 10:32:31 AM

[Admiral's Office]

=/\="Captain Carter."=/\= Constance's voice cut in.
=/\="I've been going over Gamma quadrant assignments and I've assigned the Athena her next mission. Once we finish up at the science station we are set us to relieve the USS Bharata in Sector A-5. It should only be a few days but they've been on extended deployment and their crew could use some R&R."=/\= She reported, tiredly. Ash wasn't wrong that she'd been eating just about nothing but nutrition supplements and caffeine but the work wouldn't be done until she was dead (and even then she'd probably have to fill out paper in whatever afterlife there way).

[Bridge]

James smiled softly as Constance piped in. "Did she bug my bridge?" He laughed, paused, and then tapped his comm badge. =/\= You got it Addy. I'll catch up with you about it after I deal with this thing that apparently needs my attention. =/\= Carter quickly walked into the turbolift and waited for Ash to follow.

[Turbolift]

The Captain sighed and leaned against the walls of the turbolift. "It's times like this I have to wonder why I took this job."

Constance Lafayette

[Admiral's Office]

"Addy?" Constance said out loud to herself once the channel had closed. What had happened to discipline since she'd taken this blasted posting? She almost stood up to go pry but then stopped and sat down. No... this was Jame's ship now. His crew. He could run it how he would. He was a good officer and she'd come to trust him- no reason to lose that trust now but... "Addy"? Constance frowned but then smirked. He was going to do fine...

Still, the mention of what he was going to look into scratched at her brain. Maybe she'd just go look her- no. No. She had paperwork. Lots and lots of paperwork...

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.