Athena Mission 2.8: Skin Scratchers

Started by James Carter, October 01, 2017, 01:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naira

Quote from: James Carter on October 02, 2017, 01:43:56 PM

[Bridge]

James shook his head immediately releasing her hand. "Should be smooth sailing. But keep your comm badge on, if something comes up I'll page you. Until then, your first priority should be getting to know the team." His biggest mistake when he took the job was remaining somewhat closed off at the start. A problem which he was only now starting to overcome.

[Bridge]

After shaking his hand, she nodded in acknowledgement to his request. "Will do, Sir." She retrieved a padd on which she had compiled a list of all crew members and well as their current shift schedules, service records, complaint reports and any other information she deemed relevant. Now, she just needed to put some faces to the names and get to know these people on a one-to-one basis.

Instinctively, her first stop would be sickbay. While she had only served in the sickbay aboard the Athena for a short time, it still felt the closest to familiar surroundings. It would also give her the opportunity to open up in a more relaxed environment before diving into the sections of the ship she was less familiar with.

She'd be lying if she said she wasn't a little bit nervous with meeting the Chief Engineer and discussing warp cores and other mechanical features with him. It was a topic she was ashamed to admit she knew little about.

[Sickbay]

Upon entering sickbay, Naira stood back and just observed the facilities for a moment. While the scope of the equipment available was quite impressive considering the size of the ship, she felt as if she had been spoiled living on a starbase with more space and resources at their disposal. However, this was not her sickbay. She would hopefully not have to be spending great periods on time in here, so she didn't need to concern herself with the lack of specialized care options more needed by a large spectrum of different alien species instead of the smaller crew they had.

She watched as a group of medical officers gathered around a woman with a yellow collar, on the far side of the room, and pulled phasers out of a case? That didn't seem normal. At least it shouldn't be.

"What's going on in here?" She asked as she approached the group. Her voice was calm, but for a small trace of concern that had crept into it. 

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 02, 2017, 03:12:02 PM

[Sickbay]

Upon entering sickbay, Naira stood back and just observed the facilities for a moment. While the scope of the equipment available was quite impressive considering the size of the ship, she felt as if she had been spoiled living on a starbase with more space and resources at their disposal. However, this was not her sickbay. She would hopefully not have to be spending great periods on time in here, so she didn't need to concern herself with the lack of specialized care options more needed by a large spectrum of different alien species instead of the smaller crew they had.

She watched as a group of medical officers gathered around a woman with a yellow collar, on the far side of the room, and pulled phasers out of a case? That didn't seem normal. At least it shouldn't be.

"What's going on in here?" She asked as she approached the group. Her voice was calm, but for a small trace of concern that had crept into it.

[Sickbay]

Katheryn had just started to collect the phasers back in when she turned at the sound of a female voice and immediately recognised the new XO as she approached the small group and asked what was going on, picking up the slight concern and realised that this probably didn't look good but did have a valid reason.

" Commander, I was just finishing showing the medical staff basic protocols at the request of Dr Brighton after the events of the last mission and he wanted them to learn how to be safe in an emergency, today was just showing them the phasers before clinic started then all other lessons and training will be taking place in the weapons range " she replied hoping that they weren't in any trouble besides she knew that no one could come to any harm as she had made sure the weapons were safe to handle.

Academy Commandant

Constance Lafayette

[Admiral's Office]
Constance had undergone a change and it wasn't a physical one. She had been assigned to coordinate Task Force Bravo some time ago but she'd been effectively leading from the front. In terms of the admiralty, she was not only one of the youngest but one of the most junior of her peers so it surprised no one when she had effectively continued to act as the CO of the Athena despite her new responsibility. During her tenure she'd seen the ship commissioned, seen it destroyed, seen it replaced, and now seen 3 XOs come onto her bridge but she'd only ever served as her Captain. It was... odd. She was now sequestered in a converted conference room with two yeoman assigned to her to make her job easier.

"...and the Babbel is scheduled to dock at the starbase at 2300 hours." The Andorian woman said reading off a PADD. Constance used her data jack to parse the information and read what the Lt. was reading. She was, of course, correct and the ship was on schedule. She'd got bit better with her implants but they still itched. The doctors told her that would pass in time but they'd also told her the scar on her palm had been healed well enough for her to play an instrument again but that hadn't been the case...

"Very good Lieutenant." Constance said with a sigh, brushing her hair out of her face, "Let the Starbase know that they will need to unload the jugga berries and take in the artifacts from Delrod IX. Assign the Tumult and Captain Yuka to continue their observation of the binary phenomenon and task the Bharata to continue perimeter sweeps in section A-5. I know they been at it for a while but I don't trust the locals to maintain their peace treaty. Their memories only last 123 hours and I don't trust their Á¢â,¬Ëœsages' to recite everything back into it for eternity..."

The two ensigns nodded in unison and tapped always, sending communications no doubt. Constance missed the bridge but she had to step back. James was ready for this and her attention was demanded elsewhere...

"That's enough for now." Constance said rather strictly, her flat affect not diminishing the finality of her tone. The two ensigns stood up, gave her a little nod, and filed out. "This was her life now" she thought to herself. No more intoxicated colonists, Borg attacks, or ancient possessed kings. Just paper work.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 02, 2017, 03:28:45 PM

[Sickbay]

Katheryn had just started to collect the phasers back in when she turned at the sound of a female voice and immediately recognised the new XO as she approached the small group and asked what was going on, picking up the slight concern and realised that this probably didn't look good but did have a valid reason.

" Commander, I was just finishing showing the medical staff basic protocols at the request of Dr Brighton after the events of the last mission and he wanted them to learn how to be safe in an emergency, today was just showing them the phasers before clinic started then all other lessons and training will be taking place in the weapons range " she replied hoping that they weren't in any trouble besides she knew that no one could come to any harm as she had made sure the weapons were safe to handle.

[Sickbay]

"I see," she said as she watched the other woman pack the phasers back up. She looked down at her padd, scrolled through a list of names until one stuck out at her. Carter, Katheryn. Though this woman was also petite, fair of complexion and had blonde hair, she was not the same Carter she had served beside as a fresh young cadet.

"While I appreciate the initiative and share your concern for the safety and well-being of those within sickbay, in the future I would prefer that we keep weapons out of sickbay except in moments of extreme emergency."

She tucked her padd behind her back and extended her other hand to the woman. "Lieutenant Carter I presume? If you are not busy currently, I would like to discuss with you your department and what other security measures you are taking throughout the ship."

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

[Ash's Quarters]

Somewhere, deep deep deeeeeeeeeep down, Ash realized it was probably improper for a civilian to be yelling at a Starfleet Captain. But frankly, she didn't care at the moment.

"You complete and utter IDIOT! How could you do something so STUPID?! You could have gotten yourself KILLED, you STUBBORN FOOL OF A MAN!" Ash was visibly distressed, her breath coming in short, quick gasps and her hands shaking as she realized how close she just might have come to losing Dylan. And all because he was being a moron.

"I didn't know!" he quickly got off, before he visibly flinched at her tongue-lashing. "At least, the first time. The second time was because I was under the control of the weapon, and the third... because I was a bit preemptive getting up, during the last check-in I missed. I was gonna call but didn't make it very far..."

By the end of Dylan's defense, Ash had deflated a little... But she was far from dropping the subject. "Weren't there any signs that you were sick before you just collapsed? You can't just ignore your personal health and put yourself at risk like that! And ignoring it again to try and call me before you were fully healed! What were you thinking? I mean..." She sighed before continuing. "I appreciate you trying to call me - I do. But I swear, Dylan Torngate, if you ever pull a stunt like that again, I'll go to the Challenger and kill you myself."

"Well, uh. Erm..." he stuttered, "Not really, per se. Bit of a cough and then... boom... down I went. I think." he admitted, "And I'm the Captain, I kinda have to keep things running." he paused, listening to her words. "That's... not exactly giving me reasons not to act out, if it means you'll come here... Death notwithstanding."

"If you want me there so badly, maybe I'll just transfer to the Challenger - even if only to keep your sorry butt out of trouble!!" Ash paused, letting the silence sweep in as soon as she finished yelling. She hadn't really thought before she opened her mouth, and it took a couple seconds passed for the true meaning of her words set in for both of them.

Dylan hazarded a smile on his face. "Maybe you'll just have to. Exactly how many times do I need to end up in Sickbay before you show up?" he asked, joking slightly.

"Don't you dare..." Ash ground out. Yet despite her threat, a smile was slowly creeping across her face.

[A Few Minutes Later]

Ash turned off the screen in front of her and shook her head in exasperation, but a small smile lingered on her face. That idiot is too good at making me smile. He gets away with far too much. It was then that she remembered her door and moved to close it. She had meant to finish her package for Cat on her break, but she had too much on her mind to sit still long enough to do anything creative.

After a moment of standing in the open doorway, she eventually made her mind up and left the room, closing the door behind her as she made her way to the mess hall.

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 02, 2017, 05:22:56 PM

[Sickbay]

"I see," she said as she watched the other woman pack the phasers back up. She looked down at her padd, scrolled through a list of names until one stuck out at her. Carter, Katheryn. Though this woman was also petite, fair of complexion and had blonde hair, she was not the same Carter she had served beside as a fresh young cadet.

"While I appreciate the initiative and share your concern for the safety and well-being of those within sickbay, in the future I would prefer that we keep weapons out of sickbay except in moments of extreme emergency."

She tucked her padd behind her back and extended her other hand to the woman. "Lieutenant Carter I presume? If you are not busy currently, I would like to discuss with you your department and what other security measures you are taking throughout the ship."

[Sickbay]

Securing the case with her access codes as the XO replied with " I see" didn't seem to bode well with Katheryn but if there was an issue then she would deal with it after all the security and welfare of both the ship and crew were extremely important to her and at the same time knew what she was doing. But then the XO spoke again and Katheryn did agree with her and there was no need for her to question her order besides it was because of an extreme emergency that she was doing this and had no intention of keeping them here.

" Understood Commander this was just a one off " she replied before Commander Naira held out her hand in greeting then asked about her name and mentioned that she would like to discuss her department and security measures for the ship if she wasn't busy. Katheryn shook the XO's hand then picked up the case " I am Lt Carter and certainly Commander would you like to go to Security so we can discuss everything?".

Academy Commandant

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 02, 2017, 05:46:10 PM

[Sickbay]

Securing the case with her access codes as the XO replied with " I see" didn't seem to bode well with Katheryn but if there was an issue then she would deal with it after all the security and welfare of both the ship and crew were extremely important to her and at the same time knew what she was doing. But then the XO spoke again and Katheryn did agree with her and there was no need for her to question her order besides it was because of an extreme emergency that she was doing this and had no intention of keeping them here.

" Understood Commander this was just a one off " she replied before Commander Naira held out her hand in greeting then asked about her name and mentioned that she would like to discuss her department and security measures for the ship if she wasn't busy. Katheryn shook the XO's hand then picked up the case " I am Lt Carter and certainly Commander would you like to go to Security so we can discuss everything?".

[Sickbay]

While she wanted to speak with the Chief Medical Officer first, glancing over at his office, she could see that he was presently busy with a patient. Not knowing how long that was going to take, she thought it might be a better use of her time to come back later. They'd have plenty of time over the coming days to discuss medical treatments, supply orders and swap stories of hectic all-nighters where everything seems to go wrong.

"Lead the way," she instructed the lieutenant. "I'd like to see first hand what you have at your disposal and meet a few of your officers."

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 02, 2017, 06:23:21 PM

[Sickbay]

While she wanted to speak with the Chief Medical Officer first, glancing over at his office, she could see that he was presently busy with a patient. Not knowing how long that was going to take, she thought it might be a better use of her time to come back later. They'd have plenty of time over the coming days to discuss medical treatments, supply orders and swap stories of hectic all-nighters where everything seems to go wrong.

"Lead the way," she instructed the lieutenant. "I'd like to see first hand what you have at your disposal and meet a few of your officers."

[Sickbay]

Katheryn noticed her glance over towards the office door and knew that she would probably want to talk to Cal but didn't think too much about as she was instructed to lead the way so the XO could see her department first hand as well as meeting some of her officers which Katheryn knew there shouldn't be any problems as she ran her department as efficiently as possible and trusted her teams.

" Yes Commander " she replied leading the way out through the main doors and into a waiting turbolift to take them down to Main Security.

Academy Commandant

Caleb Brighton

Quote from: Arrun Dihsar on October 02, 2017, 02:17:35 PM

[Medical Bay]
Arrun waited patiently as Lt. Brighton gave his morning brief for the medical department. It seemed the Athena ran a lot looser in formality than his parents ever ran the colony or the Academy itself. It was not an unwelcome change by any means, but it was something that Arrun would get used to; well, he hoped so at least. When invited to follow he nodded in acknowledgement and restrained himself from snapping to attention; this wasn't the Academy and he wasn't a fresh ensign anymore. "I'll try, sir." Was all he said as he followed after the Doctor.

[Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]
Arrun was glad to take a seat and take mental accounting of its softness and the relative quiet of the office from the Medical Bay and indeed the rest of the ship. He then turned his full attention to the Doctor and smiled at the congratulation. "Thank you, sir. To be honest, I am surprised at the promotion. I was not about to argue it, but, I wonder sometimes if I deserve it; but, even if one does not understand a thing that does not make it any less true a thing." Arrun knew he was a hard-working pilot, in fact he was told by his Department Head that he worked too much; not a single fellow pilot had protested his advancement; they just congratulated him, just like the friendly doctor had.

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office ]

Caleb smiled listening to Arrun. "I take the promotions with happiness, but I do get what you mean. Now before we begin, I do want to remind you that what is said here stays between us. This session is your last, but if you feel that you need to talk to me after this, do not be afraid to schedule something with me," He said.

Caleb could sense some tension from Arrun. He wanted to get rid of some of the tension."You can trust me Arrun. If I can deal with pythons and occasional large cat,  I think you can handle this promotion. Before I came back to the Athena, I served some time helping a clinic in a remote jungle. There was no modern technology, just old earth remedies and the wit. I would say flying is much more difficult. Take it from experience that once you trust your own judgement, it will help you go far," He said with a smile.

"Now as cliche as it sounds, I'd like to start our session by asking you how you are and how you are feeling today," Caleb said. It had been a while since he lead a counseling session, but since he had only met Arrun to talk about his dietary and health needs, he also felt this would be a good time to get to know him as well. With the bit of rotation in staff, he needed to make rounds eventually. 

"Imagine putting all the emotion and passion of hurt behind something positive rather than self destructive. Don't take the easy way out"

Arrun Dihsar

Quote from: Caleb Brighton on October 02, 2017, 09:26:59 PM

[ Medical Bay - Caleb's Office ]

Caleb smiled listening to Arrun. "I take the promotions with happiness, but I do get what you mean. Now before we begin, I do want to remind you that what is said here stays between us. This session is your last, but if you feel that you need to talk to me after this, do not be afraid to schedule something with me," He said.

Caleb could sense some tension from Arrun. He wanted to get rid of some of the tension."You can trust me Arrun. If I can deal with pythons and occasional large cat,  I think you can handle this promotion. Before I came back to the Athena, I served some time helping a clinic in a remote jungle. There was no modern technology, just old earth remedies and the wit. I would say flying is much more difficult. Take it from experience that once you trust your own judgement, it will help you go far," He said with a smile.

"Now as cliche as it sounds, I'd like to start our session by asking you how you are and how you are feeling today," Caleb said. It had been a while since he lead a counseling session, but since he had only met Arrun to talk about his dietary and health needs, he also felt this would be a good time to get to know him as well. With the bit of rotation in staff, he needed to make rounds eventually.

[Medical Bay - Caleb's Office]

"Today I am...better then yesterday." Arrun said with a half-shrug. "Krem's thoughts still come up from time to time; or at least his kind of fearful thinking. Little things seem far more frightening or threatening to me then before. Instead of worrying if I'm doing my job right or that I'm working hard enough, I'm worrying about possible ambushes and conspiracies aboard ship. I believe I have it under control, following the coping strategies that were suggested to me before and prayer helps as always." He shook his head. "That said, today was a struggle like every other. But I would really like to get back to work and give myself something complicated to think about other than how nice the holodecks are or if I have enough incense for today." he smiled at little at his joke, but the mirth wasn't half-way there in his eyes.

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 02, 2017, 06:38:21 PM

[Sickbay]

Katheryn noticed her glance over towards the office door and knew that she would probably want to talk to Cal but didn't think too much about as she was instructed to lead the way so the XO could see her department first hand as well as meeting some of her officers which Katheryn knew there shouldn't be any problems as she ran her department as efficiently as possible and trusted her teams.

" Yes Commander " she replied leading the way out through the main doors and into a waiting turbolift to take them down to Main Security.

[Sickbay]

Naira followed the woman out of sickbay, down the corridor and into the nearest turbolift. Being on a ship with only fifteen decks was much different than a starbase with over three hundred and fifty. For one, you needn't wait around so long for a turbolift to arrive or carry you to your destination. As such she was sure the Humans here didn't complain about a lack of so-called 'elevator music'.

[Main Security]

After coming to a stop and exiting the turbolift, Naira stepped into Main Security. She glanced around the room, inspecting the weapons lockers, the desks and computer station. She assumed from briefly looking over the ship's schematics that the brig was on the opposite side of this room. It was something she would familiarize herself with at a later time. Hopefully, they would have little use of it on a science vessel.

"I was hoping that you could show me around Main Security, introduce me to your staff and tell me about the security measures you have in place. However, I've also been looking over the incident report from your last mission and I have a few questions for you personally."

Her brow furrowed slightly as she waved a couple junior officers out of the room.

"It is my understanding that some kind of entity was inadvertently brought aboard the ship and that it later took possession of several members of the crew. You, yourself were later injured by the actions of one of these crewmen, but in the report I don't see any indication of you rallying your department and issuing orders until after your injury, can you tell me your reasoning behind this?"

James Carter

[Bridge]

It was surprisingly quiet on the bridge, something of which James wasn't particularly fond of. =/\= Ms. Morgaine, if you have a moment could you bring me a tea? Any type outside of those dreadful American ones will do. =/\=

Katheryn Brighton

Quote from: Naira on October 03, 2017, 04:35:43 PM

[Sickbay]

Naira followed the woman out of sickbay, down the corridor and into the nearest turbolift. Being on a ship with only fifteen decks was much different than a starbase with over three hundred and fifty. For one, you needn't wait around so long for a turbolift to arrive or carry you to your destination. As such she was sure the Humans here didn't complain about a lack of so-called 'elevator music'.

[Main Security]

After coming to a stop and exiting the turbolift, Naira stepped into Main Security. She glanced around the room, inspecting the weapons lockers, the desks and computer station. She assumed from briefly looking over the ship's schematics that the brig was on the opposite side of this room. It was something she would familiarize herself with at a later time. Hopefully, they would have little use of it on a science vessel.

"I was hoping that you could show me around Main Security, introduce me to your staff and tell me about the security measures you have in place. However, I've also been looking over the incident report from your last mission and I have a few questions for you personally."

Her brow furrowed slightly as she waved a couple junior officers out of the room.

"It is my understanding that some kind of entity was inadvertently brought aboard the ship and that it later took possession of several members of the crew. You, yourself were later injured by the actions of one of these crewmen, but in the report I don't see any indication of you rallying your department and issuing orders until after your injury, can you tell me your reasoning behind this?"

[Main Security]

Katheryn had remained relatively quiet during the turbo lift and once it had stopped and deposited them on the deck for Main Security, she got out and walked into her domain. Silently greeting those present as the XO looked around before speaking and Katheryn didn't think it was a unreasonable request after all she would need to familiarise herself with the department. However when the conversation turned to last mission not that she could forget that in a hurry it felt like that last part of her statement made her look like she was inept at her job.

Gesturing for the officers she dismissed to do as they were told before she answered the XO. " Certainly Commander I can show you around after we discuss the last mission and yes those details are all correct " she replied pausing for a moment before continuing to the last part of her questions.

The memories of that night came flooding back and maybe it had been a mistake on her part then again a lot happened before she could anything. " Once we were secure in the Mess Hall, I contacted the Bridge to inform them what had happened and it was my intention to then contact my teams to rally them and issue orders, however before I could do that I was injured and as soon as I  was cleared by Sickbay that's when I was able to do that" she said honestly although at the back of her mind hoped she had said enough to show she was able to run the department.

Academy Commandant

Naira

Quote from: Katheryn Carter on October 03, 2017, 05:02:44 PM

[Main Security]

Katheryn had remained relatively quiet during the turbo lift and once it had stopped and deposited them on the deck for Main Security, she got out and walked into her domain. Silently greeting those present as the XO looked around before speaking and Katheryn didn't think it was a unreasonable request after all she would need to familiarise herself with the department. However when the conversation turned to last mission not that she could forget that in a hurry it felt like that last part of her statement made her look like she was inept at her job.

Gesturing for the officers she dismissed to do as they were told before she answered the XO. " Certainly Commander I can show you around after we discuss the last mission and yes those details are all correct " she replied pausing for a moment before continuing to the last part of her questions.

The memories of that night came flooding back and maybe it had been a mistake on her part then again a lot happened before she could anything. " Once we were secure in the Mess Hall, I contacted the Bridge to inform them what had happened and it was my intention to then contact my teams to rally them and issue orders, however before I could do that I was injured and as soon as I  was cleared by Sickbay that's when I was able to do that" she said honestly although at the back of her mind hoped she had said enough to show she was able to run the department.

[Main Security]

While the Chief of Security told her side of the events, Naira listened as her gaze remained squarely fixed on the other woman's face. She contemplated what details she had to offer and nodded as the story came to a finish.

"I see. It was my understanding that you were alerted to a disturbance before reaching the Mess Hall, back when still in your quarters?" She had to pause for a moment to check the record. "I have no background in security and I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but in the future, I feel it may hasten our response time if any threat of danger is called in immediately so that we can work together to formulate a plan before things get out of hand."

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: James Carter on October 03, 2017, 04:45:52 PM

[Bridge]

It was surprisingly quiet on the bridge, something of which James wasn't particularly fond of. =/\= Ms. Morgaine, if you have a moment could you bring me a tea? Any type outside of those dreadful American ones will do. =/\=

[Mess Hall]

Ash had no sooner tied her apron around her waist than the message from James came through. She had a few hours before the next meal rotation, so she didn't hesitate to tap her badge and reply, =/\= "Of course! I've always got a moment to spare for the Captain of our fine vessel." =/\= The light teasing came across clearly in her voice, and anyone listening could tell she was smiling. =/\= "I'll be there in a few minutes." =/\=

The mess hall manager immediately ducked beneath the counter and started sifting through boxes. She'd built up quite the collection of tea during her time on the Athena based off of crew recommendations... But deciding what to drink was always difficult now as a result. Initially she grabbed a white raspberry tea that was one of her personal favorites, but after a second put it back on a precarious pile. James doesn't seem the fruity type... Something dark and smoky? With caffeine? Ash reached toward the back of the storage space, knocking over the pile of tea boxes with her elbow in the process.

"Drat..." She started gathering up the fallen tins when something caught her eye: An unmarked, sealed box with no visible latches. She had stumbled across it during an inventory forever ago, but then the time loop had distracted her... She had forgotten about it until now. It had probably been tucked in with the other boxes by Sasha or one of the other workers. Shaking her head Ash tucked the box into her apron pocket, where it created a somewhat noticeable bulge. I'll deal with it later.

Picking up the rest of the tea, Ash grabbed the canister of Russian Caravan that she had been looking for and quickly prepared a mug. The walk to the bridge didn't take too long after that - even if she walked slow so as not to spill.

[Bridge]

Ash walked over to where her friend sat in the Captain's seat and came up behind him. "You certainly look like you've settled in," she said with a grin as she passed over the hot beverage. "Russian Caravan. Not a 'dreadful American one,' but not your boring Earl Grey either."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.