Alys' Christening - Open to all

Started by Lizzie Vaughan, September 17, 2017, 06:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizzie Vaughan

Deck 4 - Enlisted Crews Mess Hall

Lizzie, carrying Alys who was more than half asleep, wandered around the Mess Hall as she kept an eye on the preparations. She was thankful that the crewmen and volunteered their mess hall as it was conveniently close to the galley so food preparation would not be an issue. In one corner, on a raised platform, the ships orchestra was tuning up. Chairs were lined up ready for those who could attend - she had opened it up to the whole crew. After the last mission they all deserved a chance to unwind.

At the front was another small platform where Alys would be Christened. She was not particularly religious, but she did feel the need for a naming ceremony. There would be no holy water, but there would be a short service where the Godparents would stand in. Then the chairs would be pushed back so people so eat, drink and dance if they wanted. She had made sure that a wide variety of both food and drink would be available as she wanted everyone to relax. She had also got one of her Techs, who was a talented photographer, to take plenty of pictures to send back to her parents and Siblings.

Her baby Sister had got back to her. Having solved the Maths problem, she was delighted about being an Auntie and had already sent some toys. Her Mother had kept her word and the Christening gown had arrived and in perfect condition. She had been granted the leave she had requested and had arranged to get transport back to Earth.

It was a pity they could not have a live feed to her parents, but the area they were in had poor signal strength. So they had to make do with what they could.

Satisfied that everything was in order, she checked the time and realised that she had better go and get ready. She left the Mess and headed to her quarters.

CMO's Quarters

Lizzie entered her quarters, checked Alys' nappy and put her in her cot. She then took a shower before dressing in the outfit she had chosen for the occasion.

Once she was satisfied with her appearance, she went over to check on Alys who was gurgling happily. Making sure her Daughter did not need changing or feeding, she dressed her in the christening gown.

Checking the Chronometer, she realised it was time to get down there to greet everyone as they arrived.

Picking up the changing bag with 2 spare bottles, she looked down at her Daughter.

"Are you ready Sweetie?" She asked softly.

Alys Gurgled in response.

Lizzie smiled and headed back to the Mess.

Lizzie waled through the doors and gave the room a quick glance over. She then went over to the Crewmen who had volunteered to help her run the event.

"I want to thank you all for doing this." She said, emotion clearly showing in her voice. "It means more to me than I can possibly say." She added.

One of the Crewmen, a Flight Ops Petty Officer in his dress uniform gave her a smile.

"It is a pleasure Doctor. You just concentrate on getting the little one through the ceremony. Though you may have a fight on your hands for those who will want to hold her." He said, stroking Alys' face and making her gurgle.

Lizzie stood back and waited for the guests to arrive

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Jettis Jyur

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Jettis, as per his usual self, was one of the firdt to arrive. Social events weren't his style, but he felt this one time he could attend one and enjoy it. Very few people on the ship knew of the XO's family, but the ones who did would be unsurprised at his appearance and somewhat-cheery disposition.

Besides, he felt he owed it to the Chief, after her exhausting, but spectacular work during their last fiasco. A quick appearance wouldn't  hurt him.

Stepping into the mess hall, he was soon reminded he had never been in her besides during his first tour aboard the ship. It was jarring to realize he had not been aboard the ship for long at all, before being thrust into a command position. How he managed to handle it was even more baffling.
Shaking away his thoughts, he turned to find the guest of honour, and a telltale grin spread across his face, as he made eyecontact.

"Hello! What a precious little girl!" He cooed, making his way over to mother and child. Glancing up to look at Lizzie, his smile turned warm, and he nodded to her. "Congratulations on your new addition, chief. How's parent life treating you and your sleep schedule?"

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Jettis Jyur on September 17, 2017, 07:00:52 PM

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Jettis, as per his usual self, was one of the firdt to arrive. Social events weren't his style, but he felt this one time he could attend one and enjoy it. Very few people on the ship knew of the XO's family, but the ones who did would be unsurprised at his appearance and somewhat-cheery disposition.

Besides, he felt he owed it to the Chief, after her exhausting, but spectacular work during their last fiasco. A quick appearance wouldn't  hurt him.

Stepping into the mess hall, he was soon reminded he had never been in her besides during his first tour aboard the ship. It was jarring to realize he had not been aboard the ship for long at all, before being thrust into a command position. How he managed to handle it was even more baffling.
Shaking away his thoughts, he turned to find the guest of honour, and a telltale grin spread across his face, as he made eyecontact.

"Hello! What a precious little girl!" He cooed, making his way over to mother and child. Glancing up to look at Lizzie, his smile turned warm, and he nodded to her. "Congratulations on your new addition, chief. How's parent life treating you and your sleep schedule?"

Lizzie giggled slightly as Jyur came over, looking far cheerier than normal.

"Thank you Sir." She replied, not sure how formal to be as she did not know the man as well as some of the staff. "I learned how not to sleep while at Medical School. Coping with a little girl who needs feeding every 4 hours is not much of a stretch. Though my staff have been fantastic, in fact I caught 3 of my Techs playing Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide who would would have the privilege of babysitting for a few hours." She paused and took a drink of water. "I'm just thankful I have spacious quarters. Had I been in normal quarters, it would have been a squeeze. Please help yourself to a drink, we should be ready to go in about half an hour." she replied, indicating to one of the servers.

In Memorium.

Jettis Jyur

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 17, 2017, 07:09:51 PM

Lizzie giggled slightly as Jyur came over, looking far cheerier than normal.

"Thank you Sir." She replied, not sure how formal to be as she did not know the man as well as some of the staff. "I learned how not to sleep while at Medical School. Coping with a little girl who needs feeding every 4 hours is not much of a stretch. Though my staff have been fantastic, in fact I caught 3 of my Techs playing Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide who would would have the privilege of babysitting for a few hours." She paused and took a drink of water. "I'm just thankful I have spacious quarters. Had I been in normal quarters, it would have been a squeeze. Please help yourself to a drink, we should be ready to go in about half an hour." she replied, indicating to one of the servers.

"Please, call me Jett,"
he chirped, eyes brightening. Nodding in understanding as she spoke, he chuckled slightly at the news that that some medical officers were all but fighting over who got to babysit.

"Well, if at any point  I'm off shift and you need some assistance or advice, my door is open." His own suggestion surprised him, how quick he was to offer help. He made no effort to take it back, though, and simply accepted her invitation to grab something to drink.
Taking a simple glass of water, he turned back to Vaughan. "I'm glad to hear you aren't run too ragged. The ship needs it's top-notch medical officer in sound shape. The ship would fall apart without you." Twisting, he knocked on the wooden table and shot her a grin.

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Jettis Jyur on September 17, 2017, 07:35:31 PM

"Please, call me Jett,"
he chirped, eyes brightening. Nodding in understanding as she spoke, he chuckled slightly at the news that that some medical officers were all but fighting over who got to babysit.

"Well, if at any point  I'm off shift and you need some assistance or advice, my door is open." His own suggestion surprised him, how quick he was to offer help. He made no effort to take it back, though, and simply accepted her invitation to grab something to drink.
Taking a simple glass of water, he turned back to Vaughan. "I'm glad to hear you aren't run too ragged. The ship needs it's top-notch medical officer in sound shape. The ship would fall apart without you." Twisting, he knocked on the wooden table and shot her a grin.

Lizzie nodded, touched again by the generosity of the crew.

"Thank you Jett. Both for your offer and compliment." She replied, blushing slightly at his kind words. "Though a good CMO is only as good as their team. And I have an excellent one." She replied, trying to stave off more praise.

In Memorium.

Lek

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek entered the mess hall feeling a bit out if place, as if he were an intruder in a place he should not be. Even though he really didn't know many of the crew very well, Doctor Vaughn was an attractive fee-male and she had made this event an open invitation that he felt he should attend, even if only briefly.

He approached the doctor, who was looking especially attractive in her civilian clothes this evening with a large smile. The little youngling was the center of attention and looked like all non-Ferengi children, virtually lobeless, and in this child's case, the odd mix of Cardassian and Bajoran features.

Lek continued to smile as he thought "Blessed Exchequer, a spoon head and a wrinkled nose, not the best combination ever," but he only said.

"Congratulations on your new acquisition doctor. May your investment be fruitful."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Lek on September 18, 2017, 08:48:32 PM

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek entered the mess hall feeling a bit out if place, as if he were an intruder in a place he should not be. Even though he really didn't know many of the crew very well, Doctor Vaughn was an attractive fee-male and she had made this event an open invitation that he felt he should attend, even if only briefly.

He approached the doctor, who was looking especially attractive in her civilian clothes this evening with a large smile. The little youngling was the center of attention and looked like all non-Ferengi children, virtually lobeless, and in this child's case, the odd mix of Cardassian and Bajoran features.

Lek continued to smile as he thought "Blessed Exchequer, a spoon head and a wrinkled nose, not the best combination ever," but he only said.

"Congratulations on your new acquisition doctor. May your investment be fruitful."

Lizzie smiled again as Lek came up. She knew what he had said was the Ferengi equivalent of a childhood blessing so she nodded in thanks.

"Thank you Mr Lek. I hope she wil indeed be a blessing for many years to come." She replied softly.

In Memorium.

Lek

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 19, 2017, 04:35:19 AM

Lizzie smiled again as Lek came up. She knew what he had said was the Ferengi equivalent of a childhood blessing so she nodded in thanks.

"Thank you Mr Lek. I hope she wil indeed be a blessing for many years to come." She replied softly.

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek smiled again and swung a hand to indicate the crowd.

"It would seem many of the crew also celebrate your acquisition of a youngling. In most cases on Ferenginar, younglings are just another business transaction, typically to keep profits within the family. However, for Ferengi who do choose to marry instead of the more common womb rental, there is a similar ceremony called the Investiture, which is a most happy time.

"As I was the product of a rental, there was no requirement for my father to have an Investiture for me, but I do remember my Lobing, which is a special day for all Ferengi when they shed their baby lobes."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Lek on September 19, 2017, 10:02:26 AM

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek smiled again and swung a hand to indicate the crowd.

"It would seem many of the crew also celebrate your acquisition of a youngling. In most cases on Ferenginar, younglings are just another business transaction, typically to keep profits within the family. However, for Ferengi who do choose to marry instead of the more common womb rental, there is a similar ceremony called the Investiture, which is a most happy time.

"As I was the product of a rental, there was no requirement for my father to have an Investiture for me, but I do remember my Lobing, which is a special day for all Ferengi when they shed their baby lobes."

Lizzie smiled but raised an eyebrow.

"Forgive me Mr Lek but I am not as familiar with Ferengi customs as I should be. Is this Lobing a ceremony of some sort or a natural event?" She asked curiously, always wanting to know more about other cultures.

In Memorium.

Lek

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 19, 2017, 11:33:55 AM

Lizzie smiled but raised an eyebrow.

"Forgive me Mr Lek but I am not as familiar with Ferengi customs as I should be. Is this Lobing a ceremony of some sort or a natural event?" She asked curiously, always wanting to know more about other cultures.

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek was pleased to have an audience and his smile grew warmer as he replied.

"The Lobing is when a youngings' baby ears fall off as his adult lobes grow in. This usually happens between the ages of seven and ten. The external indicator are the ears become translucent and take on a reddish tinge. And I can add from personal  experience, the itching is maddening.

"When the baby lobes fall off, the youngling is considered fit for employment. There is a special ceremony where he is quizzed on the Rules of Acquisition and other critical business matters like how to compound interest and making investments."

Lek paused and smiled at the memory for a moment.

"Short of buying your apprenticeship, it is one of the most important moments in a Ferengi boy's life. For girls, it marks the time when she must shed her clothes and prepare for...uh...for...whatever they prepare for."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Lek on September 19, 2017, 08:33:53 PM

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek was pleased to have an audience and his smile grew warmer as he replied.

"The Lobing is when a youngings' baby ears fall off as his adult lobes grow in. This usually happens between the ages of seven and ten. The external indicator are the ears become translucent and take on a reddish tinge. And I can add from personal  experience, the itching is maddening.

"When the baby lobes fall off, the youngling is considered fit for employment. There is a special ceremony where he is quizzed on the Rules of Acquisition and other critical business matters like how to compound interest and making investments."

Lek paused and smiled at the memory for a moment.

"Short of buying your apprenticeship, it is one of the most important moments in a Ferengi boy's life. For girls, it marks the time when she must shed her clothes and prepare for...uh...for...whatever they prepare for."

Lizzie smiled and nodded. She was perfectly aware that in Ferengi society, females, with the odd exception, were little more than property.

"We have several similar ceremonies on Earth. The most similar is the Bar Mitzvah in Jewish custom. It indicates that a by is now responsible for his own actions and can take part in the community.  believe there is a similar ceremony for girls too." She added

In Memorium.

Lek

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 20, 2017, 07:55:17 AM

Lizzie smiled and nodded. She was perfectly aware that in Ferengi society, females, with the odd exception, were little more than property.

"We have several similar ceremonies on Earth. The most similar is the Bar Mitzvah in Jewish custom. It indicates that a by is now responsible for his own actions and can take part in the community.  believe there is a similar ceremony for girls too." She added

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek found the doctor to be as charming as she was attractive as they continued to talk.

"Younglings deserve to be recognized. Life is not easy and they need guide posts to help them along the way regardless of culture and species. Being unfamiliar with Hewmon customs, I was not certain if I would fit in at this ceremony, but seeing you happy is making me feel quite content."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Martin Jackson

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 17, 2017, 06:35:05 PM

"I want to thank you all for doing this." She said, emotion clearly showing in her voice. "It means more to me than I can possibly say." She added.

Martin, one of the crewmen in question, only smiled as a response.  He was always more than happy to help; anything that involved Alys, he usually took an interest in.  She was a little ray of sunshine in the chaotic mess of Starfleet life.

Lizzie went on to speak to a few of the guests; first Mr Jyur, then Mr Lek.  It was nice to see the usually-absorbed Lek getting involved in such a personal matter of one of his crewmates.

Martin mostly busied himself with refilling the snack bar, but whenever he got the chance, he stood at hand watching little Alys and the positively-glowing Lizzie.

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Lek on September 20, 2017, 09:00:36 PM

[Enlisted Mess Hall]

Lek found the doctor to be as charming as she was attractive as they continued to talk.

"Younglings deserve to be recognized. Life is not easy and they need guide posts to help them along the way regardless of culture and species. Being unfamiliar with Hewmon customs, I was not certain if I would fit in at this ceremony, but seeing you happy is making me feel quite content."

Lizzie listened and nodded.

"I agree, Children do need a guide as it were to help them navigate life. And as to whether you would fit in, the sole purpose of this ceremony is for friends and colleagues of the family to witness the naming of the child and to celebrate both child and Mother upon achieving it. It dates back to a time on Earth when both Mother and child surviving the pregnancy was an achievement in itself. Though nowadays, is is usually a short ceremony followed by a reception and the first chance to spoil the child with gifts." She said, nodding to a table on the far side that had a pile of presents, most wrapped in the traditional white paper.

Quote from: Martin Jackson on September 20, 2017, 09:14:48 PM

Martin, one of the crewmen in question, only smiled as a response.  He was always more than happy to help; anything that involved Alys, he usually took an interest in.  She was a little ray of sunshine in the chaotic mess of Starfleet life.

Lizzie went on to speak to a few of the guests; first Mr Jyur, then Mr Lek.  It was nice to see the usually-absorbed Lek getting involved in such a personal matter of one of his crewmates.

Martin mostly busied himself with refilling the snack bar, but whenever he got the chance, he stood at hand watching little Alys and the positively-glowing Lizzie.

Seeing Martin out of the corner of her eye, she gave him a smile and waved him over.

In Memorium.

Martin Jackson

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 21, 2017, 05:08:26 AM

Seeing Martin out of the corner of her eye, she gave him a smile and waved him over.

Seeing Doctor Vaughan's gesture, Martin headed over.  "What can I do for you, Doctor?" he asked with a smile.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.