S1E5 Brain Games

Started by Dylan Torngate, September 01, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence Klaustrin

[Captain's Quarters]

Dylan was out cold in his null-grav sleeping arrangements. It was Gamma shift and the ship was simply streaming through warp, on patrol, mostly automated. All was well, all was quiet.

[Bridge]

All was quiet on the Bridge. The ambiance was quiet, the crew was asleep for the most part, and the coffee flowed freely. For some, it was their preferred shift. For others, their mandatory training hours, or even some others took the shift because they had drawn the literal short straw of the bundle stashed above the aux science station's lighting array, which the senior officers knew nothing about. Officially.

The ship had been going fine when the sound of shearing metal and high pitched nail-on-chalkboard sounds began resounding, as the ship was knocked straight out of warp speed and into realspace. The alarms on the Bridge and all over began to glow red, as the ship automatically went to alert. The engines showed full thrust, and everything said they should be off, but for some reason, the ship couldn't move.

Just then, the turbolift doors swung open and T'Kaac, the new counselor, rushed onto the bridge, blood dripping from his nose as he screamed in a barely coherent, emotionally uncontrolled voice, "They're here! They're coming! It's them!" before collapsing, falling over a railing and laying still after striking his head.

The red alert would wake the rest of the ship from their slumber, as the duty officer quickly looked over her roster of shifts. =/\=Medical!=/\= she called into her commbadge, =/\=Medical Emergency on the Bridge. Command Staff to the Bridge.

[Enlisted Quarters]

Lawrence was awake when the alert went off. He didn't have a shift or anything, he just couldn't sleep. Instead, he was staring off into his aquarium. Toris had fallen asleep, his ashy gray segments coiled around Nells. It was impossible to tell if Nells was asleep or not, but the long iridescent ribbons streaming out of the crystalline silicon mound were weaving back and forth just a bit slower. Lawrence was glad that they were comfortable at least. He was starting to get there himself, by watching the dim spectrum of colors from the streamers reflect off the occasional murmur of bubbles.

It only made the alert more jarring. The science officer snapped into action, putting his uniform on while he stumbled out of the door. Lawrence made it to the turbolift and headed up to deck 7 before he received his second surprise.

Jettis met the Captain's eye contact, nodding slightly. Turning towards the science station, Jettis frowned slightly to see nobody present. Tapping his commbadge, he opened a channel to their new science officer. May as well introduce the greenie to the Bridge, seeing as they were currently a bit short-staffed on the science end.  =/\= "Crewman Klaustrin, report to the Bridge." =/\=

"Nevermind, bridge," he corrected his course.

It was surreal hearing it, and even more so saying it. The ascent took a moment, wherein he tried and failed to gather his thoughts. The best he could do was take a deep breath before the doors opened.

[Bridge]

The science officer hesitated for just a second, and exhaled slowly. He walked across the floor of the bridge of the ship. This moment was bound to come eventually, just not so soon. He took another breath to steady his voice, and addressed the nearest person.

"Crewman Klaustrin reporting in."

Jettis Jyur

Quote from: Martin Jackson on September 07, 2017, 08:13:55 PM

"Trying anything to get us out would be dangerous without knowing what we're in and how we got here.  There's a few things to try if it's just a gravity well, but I don't know if it's a good idea to risk it without more information."

[Bridge]

Jettis nodded slowly, the science officer in him comig to light. "Hypothesize," he turned his immediate attention back to Jackson, "What's your best idea of our situation, from where we stand now?"

Quote from: Lawrence Klaustrin on September 07, 2017, 10:58:03 PM

"Crewman Klaustrin reporting in."

Atention briefly being turned off of the Ops crewman, he turned to motion Crewman Klaustrin over as well.
"Mister Klaustrin, welcome to the Bridge. I'll sadly have to skip too many formalities, but as you may already know, I'm the ship's first officer, former CSO." He paused to allow that information to soak in, before continuing. "I would like you to take up the science station and work along with Mister Jackson to figure out what's going on."

Turning back to Jackson to confirm it with him, he stepped back slightly, allowing them to converse amongst themselves. "If you need a third head, don't hesitate to call me over," he commented, before moving away and eyeing the viewscreen. There was something disconcerting about it, that they were just stuck spinning their wheels, so to speak. Shaking off the feeling, he glanced to see what progress the Captain was making.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Lek on September 07, 2017, 08:20:55 PM

[Bridge]

Lek sighed as he faced the Captain.

"Aye Sir, but aside has already been reported, we've fallen into some sort of gravity well of unknown origin and there is impact damage to the forward edge of the saucer section. Orher than that, I have no valuable information to add at this time."

[Bridge]

Dylan nodded as he heard the news. "Nothing on sensors? No sources of gravity... just holding?" he asked, confused. According to the principles of gravity, there had to be something CAUSING the attraction. If there was nothing... who knew. Was there something really out there?

He flipped through sources. "Any damage to the ship?" he asked. "How are the engines? What's our fuel usage? Give me anything to work with here, Lieutenant."

"Tactical, can we try a low yield phaser spread to find whatever it is if it's out there?" he asked, trying to think, even though he would prefer a nonviolent solution.

"Jettis, got anything?" he asked, the coffee he'd found just starting to kick in.

[Sickbay]

A call came in to Sickbay from deck 8, a panicked child's voice on the comms. =/\= H... Hello?=/\= the voice asked. =/\= Is anyone there? My mom... she's lying on the ground and not moving... =/\= the voice said, clearly scared. It was a child who sounded to be no older than six.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Kali Saunders

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 07, 2017, 01:21:41 PM

Bridge

Lizzie nodded and, holding the Councillor in her arms waited for transport.

Sickbay

Lizzie and the Councillor materialised in the middle of Sickbay.

"Help me get him onto the biobed!" She called at the new Cadet who was standing by with one of the nurses.

[sickbay]

Kali nodded her head when the nurse told her to go to the bridge to assist. As she went to get her Medical Kit and as she was about to go to the bridge she heard a women's voice speak her name. She turned around and saw a red headed women in senor uniform. She sat the kit down on the table next to her and she rushed over to help move the Vulcan over to a bio bed. She wasn't sure what was going on but she was ready.

Lek

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 08, 2017, 02:10:07 PM

[Bridge]

Dylan nodded as he heard the news. "Nothing on sensors? No sources of gravity... just holding?" he asked, confused. According to the principles of gravity, there had to be something CAUSING the attraction. If there was nothing... who knew. Was there something really out there?

He flipped through sources. "Any damage to the ship?" he asked. "How are the engines? What's our fuel usage? Give me anything to work with here, Lieutenant."

[ ridge]

Lek stiffened as the captain asked reasonable questions and swallowed before he replied.

"Sir, the source of the gravity field is unknown. There are no planetary or celestial bodies within four parsecs. The sensors do not register a blackhole or other known anomaly. If there is a cloaked ship out there, it's not leaving an ion trail for sensors to detect.

"As for damage, the leading edge of the saucer has significant structural damage, but the hull is sound and force fields containing all breaches of the outer hull. We have full warp and impulse power with no unusual drain to any of our power systems. Deuterium supply is at 87%, which is normal.

"I concur with the idea of using low powered phasers to 'paint' whatever is in our vicinity. It might give us a source or at least an idea of how large whatever this thing holding us might be."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Kali Saunders on September 08, 2017, 02:17:53 PM

[sickbay]

Kali nodded her head when the nurse told her to go to the bridge to assist. As she went to get her Medical Kit and as she was about to go to the bridge she heard a women's voice speak her name. She turned around and saw a red headed women in senor uniform. She sat the kit down on the table next to her and she rushed over to help move the Vulcan over to a bio bed. She wasn't sure what was going on but she was ready.

Sickbay

Lizzie nodded at the Cadet as they lifted the Vulcan onto the biobed.

"We need to know what's causing this. We'll start with a Tox screen." She said, half teaching half doing. remembering the old misif. 'See One. Do One, Teach One!' As she pulled up the relevant data.

"That's odd!" She remarked. "There are clear signs of a unknown drug in his system. Whatever it is, it packs a serous punch. We need to get his blood filtered and a test run." She turned to the Cadet.

"Take a sample of his blood and take it to the lab. I want to know the exact makeup of the drug so we can figure out what it might do and hopefully counteract it." She ordered.

She was about to do further tests when a call came through the com.

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 08, 2017, 02:10:07 PM

[Sickbay]

A call came in to Sickbay from deck 8, a panicked child's voice on the comms. =/\= H... Hello?=/\= the voice asked. =/\= Is anyone there? My mom... she's lying on the ground and not moving... =/\= the voice said, clearly scared. It was a child who sounded to be no older than six.

Lizzie immediately tapped her com-badge.

=/\=Hello, this is Dr Vaughan. Please stay where you are, I'll be right with you.=/\=

Closing the channel she said.

=/\=Computer. Please identify the origin of that last transmission?=/\=

=/\=The transmission originated on Deck 3 Section 4. The quarters of Lieutenant Sasha O'Neill and her family.=/\=

Turning to the duty nurse, she said.

"I'll go. It sounds like we have a epidemic on our hands. Keep an eye on things."

"Yes Doctor." The Nurse replied, heading over to get the blood filtration machine.

She then turned to two Techs standing nearby.

"You two with me, and bring a stretcher." She ordered.

The two Techs nodded, grabbing one of the stretchers.

Lizzie, barely waiting for the two Techs, left Sickbay at a run.

Deck 3 Section 4

Lizzie exited the turbolift and headed to the O'Neill's quarters. She knew Sasha, who was one of the ships science officers. They were on friendly, but not close terms. She had met her Daughter Brooke a couple of times when the child first came on board and when she came down with a rather nasty case of Chicken Pox, that she managed to stop spreading just in time.

She got to the quarters and using her medical over-ride opened the door.

O'Neill Quarters.

Inside the living area Lizzie saw Sasha lying by the sofa with Brooke, clearly very scared and upset, kneeling on the ground next to her.

The girl looked up and seeing Lizzie, ran over to her.

"You've got to help Mummy. I can't get her to wake up!" She said, still crying.

Lizzie nodded to the two Techs while she gave Brooke a hug.

"Don't worry Sweetheart. I'm going to take a look at your Mum and then we're going to head to to Sickbay. Ok?"

Brooke nodded.

Releasing the little girl, but keeping hold of her hand, Lizzie went over to where Sasha was now on the stretcher and opened her tricorder.

"It's the same as Lieutenant Sagac. Get her to Sickbay immediately. I'll need a blood sample and then we need to try and flush her system.

"Yes Doctor." The senior of the two Techs replied, before carrying Sasha quickly and carefully back down the corridor to the turbolift.

Lizzie turned to Brooke.

"Let's get you to Sickbay too. Do you know where your Dad is?" She asked.

"Daddy's at work." Brooke replied, clutching Lizzie's hand as if her life depended on it.

Lizzie knew that Brooke's father was a Security Officer, but had never met the man. She decided to report this in. Leading Brooke at a slower pace down the corridor, she tapped her com-badge.

=/\=Vaughan to Torngate. We appear to have something of a situation. Including our councillor, we have had two separate cases showing what appears to be a mystery drug in their systems. The two officers have no real connection and they were in different portions of the ship and appear to be showing different but connected symptoms. Also, can you notify Lieutenant O'Neill's Husband that his wife and Daughter are in Sickbay.=/\=

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Lek on September 08, 2017, 03:02:51 PM

[ ridge]

Lek stiffened as the captain asked reasonable questions and swallowed before he replied.

"Sir, the source of the gravity field is unknown. There are no planetary or celestial bodies within four parsecs. The sensors do not register a blackhole or other known anomaly. If there is a cloaked ship out there, it's not leaving an ion trail for sensors to detect.

"As for damage, the leading edge of the saucer has significant structural damage, but the hull is sound and force fields containing all breaches of the outer hull. We have full warp and impulse power with no unusual drain to any of our power systems. Deuterium supply is at 87%, which is normal.

"I concur with the idea of using low powered phasers to 'paint' whatever is in our vicinity. It might give us a source or at least an idea of how large whatever this thing holding us might be."

[Bridge]

Dylan nodded. "I see. Tachyon scan coming up negative, as well, I assume." He said as he moved over to a status monitor. "Launch a class-two probe, let's see if we can get a bird's eye view of the area. Link it in with science, and let me know if we see any important data," he said, as he pulled up an engine diagram.

He looked over the engine schematics with a practiced eye. "Take us out of warp speed, divert all power to the impulse engines. Bypass speed safety protocols. Helm, push our impulse engines to the max. Try to shake us." he said. Schematics said the four mass drivers could power the ship at .994 c, almost warp 1, and so if a warp field was the cause of some issues, maybe they could get clear on Impulse.

"Tactical, begin a zero-degree sweep. Highlight any impacts on the main viewer," he ordered, when the call from Sickbay came in.

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 08, 2017, 05:22:10 PM

=/\=Vaughan to Torngate. We appear to have something of a situation. Including our councillor, we have had two separate cases showing what appears to be a mystery drug in their systems. The two officers have no real connection and they were in different portions of the ship and appear to be showing different but connected symptoms. Also, can you notify Lieutenant O'Neill's Husband that his wife and Daughter are in Sickbay.=/\=

=/\= Understood, Doctor. Do you recommend biohazard procedures? =/\= he asked quietly, not wanting everyone else on the Bridge to hear him. Dylan then walked over to Jettis.

"Commander, besides the Counsellor we have two more in sickbay, unknown toxin."

Shadow Fleet

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 08, 2017, 06:49:06 PM

[Bridge]

=/\= Understood, Doctor. Do you recommend biohazard procedures? =/\= he asked quietly, not wanting everyone else on the Bridge to hear him. Dylan then walked over to Jettis.

"Commander, besides the Counsellor we have two more in sickbay, unknown toxin."

Deck 7

Lizzie and Brooke had just exited the turbolif when Dylan responded.

=/\=Yes Captain, I think that is the only reasonable response. Since we do not know how this mystery drug got into their system, the only option is to lock the ship down until we can find the cause and put a stop to it.=/\=

In Memorium.

Rhymus Cleroux

[Deck 09 - Sec/Tac Chief's Office]

Rhymus looked over the Security terminal, displaying the Security teams' displacement throughout the ship. Every officer knew their position by heart, of course, but it never hurt to make sure. From the looks of things, everyone was in position and awaiting further orders. Perfect.

=/\= "Bridge, this is Cleroux. Security teams are in position throughout the ship. Do we have contact?"  =/\=

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 08, 2017, 07:01:07 PM

Deck 7

Lizzie and Brooke had just exited the turbolif when Dylan responded.

=/\=Yes Captain, I think that is the only reasonable response. Since we do not know how this mystery drug got into their system, the only option is to lock the ship down until we can find the cause and put a stop to it.=/\=

[Bridge]

Dylan sighed. It wasn't something he wanted to do, but it appeared he had no choice.

=/\= Attention all hands, this is the Captain. Commence biohazard procedures. Report all illnesses to Sickbay immediately. =/\= he said, as he closed the channel.

Quote from: Rhymus Cleroux on September 08, 2017, 07:01:32 PM

[Deck 09 - Sec/Tac Chief's Office]
=/\= "Bridge, this is Cleroux. Security teams are in position throughout the ship. Do we have contact?"  =/\=

Dylan thought as he heard the man. It was just in time too- he needed someone at Tactical.

=/\= Thank you Mr. Cleroux. Report to the Bridge. =/\= he said, wasting no words as he looked out at the rest of the bridge. "Options, people. What do we know?" he asked the assembled group, as the red pulsing lights were combined with white, quickly-pulsing strobe lights in between.

Shadow Fleet

Rhymus Cleroux

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 08, 2017, 08:45:08 PM

[Bridge]

Dylan sighed. It wasn't something he wanted to do, but it appeared he had no choice.

=/\= Attention all hands, this is the Captain. Commence biohazard procedures. Report all illnesses to Sickbay immediately. =/\= he said, as he closed the channel.

Dylan thought as he heard the man. It was just in time too- he needed someone at Tactical.

=/\= Thank you Mr. Cleroux. Report to the Bridge. =/\= he said, wasting no words as he looked out at the rest of the bridge. "Options, people. What do we know?" he asked the assembled group, as the red pulsing lights were combined with white, quickly-pulsing strobe lights in between.

[Deck 09 - Corridors]

Rhymus quickly made his way to the nearest turbolift. He rubbed his eyes as he walked, cursing himself for not sleeping. No use crying about it now, though. The Captain had just called for a biohazard alert, and Tactical was needed at the Bridge.

Could they not get one mission done in peace?

[Deck 01 - Bridge]

Rhymus almost leapt out of the turbolift, making his way to the Tactical console and logging into it. The feeds for the various weapons of the Excelsior class cruiser and not all of it was good.

"Captain, damage to the bow end of the saucer section has rendered the bow dorsal phaser array offline. We still have the ventral array and fore photon torpedos, but for now, we'll have to keep any targets above us to our sides and rear. Other than that, weapons are fully charged and operational."

Martin Jackson

[Bridge]

Jackson nodded at the new arrival, apparently a Mr. Klaustrin.  He gave the man a little smile; less than he could usually work up, but more than most would be able to, given the situation.  "So," Jackson said to the man as he turned back to the station, "I was thinking of launching a small graviton pulse into whatever we're stuck in.  It won't get us out, but it'll interact with the force that's got us and give us some idea of what it is.  What do you think?" he asked the science crewman.  Jackson knew how to launch such a pulse, and how to read the results thereof, but the more elementary concepts behind it and, therefore, whether doing so could bring some harm to the ship, he had to rely on the Science man for.

Lek

[Bridge]

Lek felt deflated that he wasn't living up to his promotion and that he was letting the captain down.

"Sir, I wish that I had more information to give you, but whatever is going on is not an engineering malfunction, the cause is in the realm of the science department. Once they can figure out the what, we'll figure out the how and the way to get out."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 08, 2017, 08:45:08 PM

[Bridge]

Deck 7 - Just outside Sickbay

Seconds after the Captain responded, the Biohazzard alarm went off. Looking at Brooke, she saw the little girl was clearly scared by the alarm.

"Don't worry Sweetheart. That alarm is just to let the whole crew that some people are sick."

The little girl nodded and held Lizzie's hand tighter.

Sickbay

They entered to find the place a veritable zoo. Several more patients had come in while she had been away. She led Brooke over to her office where the Tech who was looking after Alys, was pacing nervously.

"Is everything alright?" She asked.

"Yes Doctor. Do you need me to stay, we seem to be getting flooded with patients?" He asked.

"Yes I do. This is Brooke." She said, indicating the girl at her side. "Her Mum has just been brought in and we have biohazzard procedures in place. "I need you to watch both her and Alys, as well as any children that come in sick parents. Normally I would get the councillor to do this, but he is ill. Hopefully this will only last a few hours, but if not, we will organise a more ling term solution."

"Yes Doctor." The Tech replied, understanding what was needed. He held out his hand to Brooke. "Come on then Kiddo, let's stay out of the way so the Doc here cam make your Mummy better."

Brooke looked at Lizzie, who smiled and nodded at the child. She then went over to the Tech and gave him a nervous smile.

Lizzie gave the pair a nod before exiting out into sickbay and heading over to where Lieutenant O'Neill had already been moved to a bed. Pulling up the biosensor readings, she frowned before turning to a nurse.

"Do we have the chemical breakdown of the chemical yet?" She asked.

"Samples have gone to the lab Doctor, I'll go and check on the progress." The Nurse replied, hurrying away.

Lizzie looked at Sasha, frowning again.

"None of this makes sense." She murmured to herself. "I suppose all we can do is treat the symptoms." She added before taking a hypospray and injecting Lieutenant O'Neill with a drug to lower her blood pressure. "The same drug causing both low and high blood pressure? Whatever it is, It must be artificial. There is no way this could be a natural phenomena."

She then set up the filter to make sure that whatever drug was in Sasha's system, was completely removed from the blood stream.

She had just finished when the door opened and two engineering crewmen, supporting an barely conscious third one, came in.

"Put her on the bed!" Lizzie said, indicating bed 3.

She scanned the crewman and nodded, same symptoms. She turned to the to others.

"Can we go Doctor?" One asked.

"I'm going to give you both a quick check over but if you are clear you can return to duty. However, if you are not you will have to stay here." Lizzie said, scanning them both with her tricorder.

One came back clear, the other showed signs of the drug.

"You can go!" She said to the one who was clear. "However you." She said to the other. "Are showing signs of the same condition. Please take a seat over there, but don't leave until I clear you. Understand?"

"Yes Doctor," They both replied. The clear one, left Sickbay at a run while the other sat in the corner,
looking concerned at the unconscious patients.

Lizzie went over to the councillor and saw his blood pressure was still rather high. She immediately injected him with a drug to solve that problem but could do nothing until then could counteract the drug fully.

In Memorium.

Lawrence Klaustrin

Jackson nodded at the new arrival, apparently a Mr. Klaustrin.  He gave the man a little smile; less than he could usually work up, but more than most would be able to, given the situation.  "So," Jackson said to the man as he turned back to the station, "I was thinking of launching a small graviton pulse into whatever we're stuck in.  It won't get us out, but it'll interact with the force that's got us and give us some idea of what it is.  What do you think?" he asked the science crewman.  Jackson knew how to launch such a pulse, and how to read the results thereof, but the more elementary concepts behind it and, therefore, whether doing so could bring some harm to the ship, he had to rely on the Science man for.

[Bridge]

Lawrence gave a short nod as he approached Jackson. It was the friendliest he could muster at the moment. Jackson's question gave him some information, but he wasn't quite caught up to speed yet.

"Uh well let me see."

He quickly browsed the information from the science station. It didn't make very much sense, but that's probably why he was here.

"If it is some sort of gravity anomaly, then a small pulse shouldn't hurt. The resulting distortion should be able to give us an idea of the size and shape of it. I'm thinking this is artificial though, because of how sudden it was. Natural gravitational forces, whether they are an anomaly or not, should be more gradual."

Lawrence hesitated before he continued. He wasn't sure if he the kind of authority to ask this, and it was a wild guess if it was a good idea. While he did know a little bit about particle physics, this was certainly overstepping his expertise.

"So in addition to a graviton pulse, I think it might be more telling if we were to launch something with mass. Maybe even a shuttle so we can attempt different directions. Remotely, of course. I want to see if we can launch it at all, and if the field has the same effect on it."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.