S1E5 Brain Games

Started by Dylan Torngate, September 01, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jettis Jyur

[Personal Quarters]

Jettis had, for once, been sleeping comfortably, what with his shifts finally getting back on track, and allowing him to get some sleep. The brief staff shortage had somewhat thrown him for a loop, but he took to it quite easily, being both early bird and night owl. Fortunate for him, unfortunate for the ship's coffee supply.

Tonight though it wasn't coffee that woke him up, but the sudden jerking, the ear-piercing noise, nearly caused him to jump out of bed. It was barely a few seconds of groggily trying to comprehend what happened, before the red alert klaxxons angrily screamed at him to get up. So get up he did, throwing on the first decent uniform he saw.

[Bridge]

Arriving on the bridge, sleepy-eyed and unkempt, he looked to the first composed officer he saw.
"Report!"

His barking tone was hurriedly answered, both verbally and nonverbally as his eyes were drawn to the man lying prone on the floor. A quick glance identified him - he was one of the new crewmembers that were to be transferred to the Challenger - T'Kaac, if his memory served him.

Trusting that Sickbay had already been notified and was en-route, he turned to the Operations officer. "Drop the alarms, leave the lights on" he demanded, relaxing slightly once the anxiety-inducing klaxons were silenced.

=/\="Engineering, report, what's going on down there?"=/\=

Rhymus Cleroux

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 05, 2017, 09:17:02 PM

[Ready Room]

"Enter." Dylan called, as the doors hissed open to admit the man. Once he entered, Dylan stood. The ship needed to get under way, so he spoke directly and to-the-point. "You're out of uniform, Petty Officer." he stated, his face impassive, as he stood and handed the man another black box, containing the new neckboard for a Petty Officer, 3rd Class.

"Congratulations."

Rhymus took the box, proudly saluting to the Captain. "Thank you, Sir. I won't let you down." Rhymus stood, beaming for the moment before suddenly realizing at this point he was just standing around in the Ready Room. "I will return to work now, Sir." After another quick salute, the crewman -- no, Petty Officer, Third Class, left to return to duties.

[TIME SKIP- Two Days Later- 0345 Hours, Ship Time]
[Captain's Quarters]

Dylan was out cold in his null-grav sleeping arrangements. It was Gamma shift and the ship was simply streaming through warp, on patrol, mostly automated. All was well, all was quiet.

[Bridge]

All was quiet on the Bridge. The ambiance was quiet, the crew was asleep for the most part, and the coffee flowed freely. For some, it was their preferred shift. For others, their mandatory training hours, or even some others took the shift because they had drawn the literal short straw of the bundle stashed above the aux science station's lighting array, which the senior officers knew nothing about. Officially.

The ship had been going fine when the sound of shearing metal and high pitched nail-on-chalkboard sounds began resounding, as the ship was knocked straight out of warp speed and into realspace. The alarms on the Bridge and all over began to glow red, as the ship automatically went to alert. The engines showed full thrust, and everything said they should be off, but for some reason, the ship couldn't move.

Just then, the turbolift doors swung open and T'Kaac, the new counselor, rushed onto the bridge, blood dripping from his nose as he screamed in a barely coherent, emotionally uncontrolled voice, "They're here! They're coming! It's them!" before collapsing, falling over a railing and laying still after striking his head.

The red alert would wake the rest of the ship from their slumber, as the duty officer quickly looked over her roster of shifts. =/\=Medical!=/\= she called into her commbadge, =/\=Medical Emergency on the Bridge. Command Staff to the Bridge.=/\=

[Deck 15 - Phaser Range]

Rhymus fired three shots from his Type-2 pistol, the shots screamed down the range to the target. On hit, they painted the sheeted metal black. Each shot was near the center, and close in spacing. No shot was more than two inches from another. Perfect.

The range time served two purposes. One, it allowed the Security crewman to fine-tune his aim. Second, it gave him a perfectly good reason as to why he's up during Gamma shift. According to any chronometer, it was the middle of the night, and here was a member of Alpha shift getting range time when he should be sleeping.

Rhymus set down the phaser and called the target back to him. The sheet came slowly back to him just when all hell broke loose.

The sound got to the crewman first. Nails on a chalkboard, metal being torn apart. The sound resonated throughout the range, and it was all Rhymus could do was cover his ears and hope he wouldn't lose his hearing. The shuddering of two million metric tons of ship being forced out of warp came second, but almost as quickly. The red alert sounded, the range turning dark red as the alarms went off throughout the ship.

Rhymus slowly regained his composure, and sprinted for the bridge -- no, there's a new Tactical Officer on-board. The man doubled back in the hallway, nearly barreling down another crewman as he made his way to the Armory.

Lek

[Junior Officer Crew Quarters]

Lek was dreaming his favorite dream where he was swimming in a pool full of latinum free of its cumbersome gold cage when he woke up screaming from the horrific piercing noise the ship was emitted. For his roommate, Lieutenant jg Delacosta, it was difficult to tell which was screaming louder, Lek or the ship. When the shrieking stoped, the Ferengi was curled in a fetal position that scared Delacosta enough that he scribbled for his commbadge. Before he could call for a medical emergency, Lek managed to murmur.

"I..I'm okay. Its just that noise was excruciating."

He lurched to his feet in time to hear the captain call the command staff to the bridge. He sighed and quickly dressed because he knew Lieutenant Ringeisen would have already made an excuse why he needed to be in engineering and Lek knew the captain would explode if engineering wasn't represented for the meeting.

His ears were still ringing as he lurched drunkenly out of his quarters, but by the time his reached the bridge, the ringing had stopped and he felt like he could function again, which based on whatever had happened, he was certain he would need to have a clear head to be able figure what had gone wrong.

Alt of Ian Galloway

Lizzie Vaughan

[Ready Room]

"Enter." Dylan called, as the doors hissed open to admit the man. Once he entered, Dylan stood. The ship needed to get under way, so he spoke directly and to-the-point. "You're out of uniform, Petty Officer." he stated, his face impassive, as he stood and handed the man another black box, containing the new neckboard for a Petty Officer, 3rd Class.

"Congratulations."

[TIME SKIP- Two Days Later- 0345 Hours, Ship Time]
[Captain's Quarters]

Dylan was out cold in his null-grav sleeping arrangements. It was Gamma shift and the ship was simply streaming through warp, on patrol, mostly automated. All was well, all was quiet.

[Bridge]

All was quiet on the Bridge. The ambiance was quiet, the crew was asleep for the most part, and the coffee flowed freely. For some, it was their preferred shift. For others, their mandatory training hours, or even some others took the shift because they had drawn the literal short straw of the bundle stashed above the aux science station's lighting array, which the senior officers knew nothing about. Officially.

The ship had been going fine when the sound of shearing metal and high pitched nail-on-chalkboard sounds began resounding, as the ship was knocked straight out of warp speed and into realspace. The alarms on the Bridge and all over began to glow red, as the ship automatically went to alert. The engines showed full thrust, and everything said they should be off, but for some reason, the ship couldn't move.

Just then, the turbolift doors swung open and T'Kaac, the new counselor, rushed onto the bridge, blood dripping from his nose as he screamed in a barely coherent, emotionally uncontrolled voice, "They're here! They're coming! It's them!" before collapsing, falling over a railing and laying still after striking his head.

The red alert would wake the rest of the ship from their slumber, as the duty officer quickly looked over her roster of shifts. =/\=Medical!=/\= she called into her commbadge, =/\=Medical Emergency on the Bridge. Command Staff to the Bridge.=/\=

CMO's Office

For the last couple of days Lizzie had practically been living in her office, even though her Quarters were just down the corridor. She and Alys had bonded well and was not happy if Lizzie was not close by. It was in the arly hours of the morning when the call went out. Lizzie awake having just fed and changed Alys, tapped her com badge.

=/\=Vaughan to Bridge. on my way. Out!=/\=

She jumped jumped from her chair and went out into Sickbay.

Sickbay

Entering sickbay she went over to the nearest Tech.

"Keep an eye on Alys. Hopefully she'll stay asleep for a while. Call me if necessary."

"Yes Doctor." The Tech replied, going over to the office to sit with the little girl who had touched the hearts of all in sickbay and a good portion of the crew.

Lizzie nodded, grabbed her med-kit and ran from sickbay heading to the Bridge.

Bridge

Lizzie stepped out of the turbolift and immediately saw the Vulcan Councillor on the floor with a bloody nose and a brusie on his head.

"What happened?" She asked, pulling out her tricorder and scanning her colleague.

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Martin Jackson

[Bridge]

Jackson was a morning person.  That said, in most places this could be said to be the "wee" hours of the morning; he didn't care much for the shift, since the routine of Operations work tended to be on the boring side as it was.  But, he played with the hand he had been dealt.

The ship rocked, there was a terrible noise... and the ship wasn't moving.  The screeching of metal pierced into his mind; when it was over, it took concentrated effort for Jackson to get his mind back onto his monitor.  The ship wasn't moving, but the sensors indicated that the engines were on full thrust.  It obviously wasn't a systems error...  given the collision, almost certainly something very large had them trapped somehow.

Then, the new counselor rushed into the bridge, delivered a uselessly vague message of doom, and collapsed.  Jackson wanted to help somehow, but there was nothing he could do except his own job... which, at present, meant finding out what just happened to the ship.  The answer, a collision and a hold, was obvious enough.  A quick hull diagnostic showed him where the impact had happened, and how much damage was caused by the initial strike.  He relayed the information to the captain as quickly as he found it.

Lek

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 06, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

Bridge

Lizzie stepped out of the turbolift and immediately saw the Vulcan Councillor on the floor with a bloody nose and a bruise on his head.

"What happened?" She asked, pulling out her tricorder and scanning her colleague.

[Bridge]

Knowing the captain would want answers, Lek went to the engineering station to check on the ship's status, when Doctor Vaughn asked her question, he paused to reply.

"He was already down by the time I got to the bridge Doctor, I cannot offer any input."

Lek knew his answer wasn't helpful, but it seemed only polite to reply. He then focused on the readouts on his console and tried to make sense of the readings which made no sense of any kind. He rubbed his forehead in frustration and thought.

"The captain is not going to be pleased that I don't have any answers. That is going to make this an unpleasant meeting."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Kali Saunders

[sickbay]

Kali was new on the ship now for a few days or so. She was a bit nervous about this knowing she hadn't really been far from home before. She knew she would adapt well knowing she lived her entire life on a ship. But she didn't know anyone here and in some way it was daunting. But she knew in spirit her mother was with her and her father, even though he was far away, he was there if she needed him. Wearing her cadet uniform she decided it would perhaps be best if she walked into Sickbay and introduce herself to the other Medic officers. Since after all she was going to spend some time with them.

Walking in she saw they weren't really busy but there were other crew members working. She wasn't sure where she should go. She noticed there people flocking around an area so she decided to walk over and see what was going on. When she reached there she saw a little baby sleeping peacefully. She smiled at the little baby there and the tech looked at her. Kali looked at the tech and smiled. "I'm Cadet Kali Saunders. I'm new here. I was wondering where the Dr. Vaughan is. I wish to report to her and get to work."

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Kali Saunders on September 06, 2017, 03:34:07 PM

[sickbay]

Kali was new on the ship now for a few days or so. She was a bit nervous about this knowing she hadn't really been far from home before. She knew she would adapt well knowing she lived her entire life on a ship. But she didn't know anyone here and in some way it was daunting. But she knew in spirit her mother was with her and her father, even though he was far away, he was there if she needed him. Wearing her cadet uniform she decided it would perhaps be best if she walked into Sickbay and introduce herself to the other Medic officers. Since after all she was going to spend some time with them.

Walking in she saw they weren't really busy but there were other crew members working. She wasn't sure where she should go. She noticed there people flocking around an area so she decided to walk over and see what was going on. When she reached there she saw a little baby sleeping peacefully. She smiled at the little baby there and the tech looked at her. Kali looked at the tech and smiled. "I'm Cadet Kali Saunders. I'm new here. I was wondering where the Dr. Vaughan is. I wish to report to her and get to work."

Posting as Ensign M'Nirr - Nurse
The Caitian had been on duty since 2200 hrs yesterday but she still felt awake. She had taken it upon herself to make sure Dr Vaughan was sleeping and eating as was so focused on the baby. M'Nirr could understand that, which is why all she did was show up with sandwiches and drinks and did not presume to tell her boss what to do.

She was just finishing writing up a report for an engineer who had got into an accident earlier and needed some treatment on his right wrist, when the door opened and an unfamiliar Cadet in teal entered and go over to the the Tech ho was watching the infant.

She immediately went over and motioned the Tech to go back inside the office. She then addressed the newcomer.

"Dr Vaughan has been summoned to the Bridge. If you wish to report to her, take a medical kit and follow her up there. She may need assistance." She said, eyeing the newcomer and trying not to judge.

In Memorium.

Dylan Torngate

[Quarters]

The Red Alert and subsequent ping from the Bridge had woken Dylan, but only barely. He hauled himself into his main room, where he found something that resembled a uniform, hastily put it on, and walked toward the door groggily, the alarms of the red alert piercing his ears.

[Bridge]

Dylan trudged onto the bridge and looked at the Status monitors. The XO had already jumped on the job, and so Dylan looked from more the Engineering aspect. The status monitors showed multiple deceleration damaged areas, but no discernable points of impact. It also showed the ship just being... held there. No tractor beams, no cables, nets, anything... just a huge gravity well holding them in place.

Dylan made eye contact with Jettis, and tried to communicate that Dylan would take up the ship issue if the other man would work on the personnel. It played better off their areas of experience. "Helm, what's the status of our movement?" he asked the person managing the helm.

=/\= All Senior Staff to the Bridge. =/\= he ordered. =/\= Medical teams, begin a sweep for injuries. =/\=

Dylan then turned to the Ferengi. "Mister Lek, let's talk."

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Lek on September 06, 2017, 01:50:51 PM

[Bridge]

Knowing the captain would want answers, Lek went to the engineering station to check on the ship's status, when Doctor Vaughn asked her question, he paused to reply.

"He was already down by the time I got to the bridge Doctor, I cannot offer any input."

Lek knew his answer wasn't helpful, but it seemed only polite to reply. He then focused on the readouts on his console and tried to make sense of the readings which made no sense of any kind. He rubbed his forehead in frustration and thought.

"The captain is not going to be pleased that I don't have any answers. That is going to make this an unpleasant meeting."

Bridge

Lizzie nodded at Lek and continued the scan. There were some anomalous neural readings that she could not immediately identify. She decided to get him to Sickbay where she could do a more detailed examination. Turning to Jackson who was at Ops.

"Mr Jackson. Please transport my patient and I directly to Sickbay." She asked.

In Memorium.

Martin Jackson

[Bridge]

Jackson quickly found out what the other operators and engineers did; the sensor readings didn't make sense.  There was probably an impact, but it was impossible to tell where or how bad it was.  They weren't being held in place by physical force, but by a gravity well of some sort.  It was frustrating.

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 07, 2017, 08:30:49 AM

Bridge

Lizzie nodded at Lek and continued the scan. There were some anomalous neural readings that she could not immediately identify. She decided to get him to Sickbay where she could do a more detailed examination. Turning to Jackson who was at Ops.

"Mr Jackson. Please transport my patient and I directly to Sickbay." She asked.

Jackson nodded, loading up the system and preparing to transport.  "Good luck," he said earnestly just before the two energized.  He didn't know the counselor too well, but he hoped they would be alright.

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Martin Jackson on September 07, 2017, 11:11:06 AM

[Bridge]

Jackson quickly found out what the other operators and engineers did; the sensor readings didn't make sense.  There was probably an impact, but it was impossible to tell where or how bad it was.  They weren't being held in place by physical force, but by a gravity well of some sort.  It was frustrating.

Jackson nodded, loading up the system and preparing to transport.  "Good luck," he said earnestly just before the two energized.  He didn't know the counselor too well, but he hoped they would be alright.

Bridge

Lizzie nodded and, holding the Councillor in her arms waited for transport.

Sickbay

Lizzie and the Councillor materialised in the middle of Sickbay.

"Help me get him onto the biobed!" She called at the new Cadet who was standing by with one of the nurses.

In Memorium.

Jettis Jyur

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 07, 2017, 07:56:47 AM

Dylan made eye contact with Jettis, and tried to communicate that Dylan would take up the ship issue if the other man would work on the personnel. It played better off their areas of experience.

[Bridge]

Jettis met the Captain's eye contact, nodding slightly. Turning towards the science station, Jettis frowned slightly to see nobody present. Tapping his commbadge, he opened a channel to their new science officer. May as well introduce the greenie to the Bridge, seeing as they were currently a bit short-staffed on the science end.  =/\= "Crewman Klaustrin, report to the Bridge." =/\=

Turning to the Operations station, he glanced to its current occupant, before striding over. "Crewman," he called, trying to catch his attention in all the brief flurry of chaos on the Bridge. "Any theories on our current situation, and a better question, any suggestions for how to get us out?"

Martin Jackson

Quote from: Jettis Jyur on September 07, 2017, 07:04:29 PM

[Bridge]
Turning to the Operations station, he glanced to its current occupant, before striding over. "Crewman," he called, trying to catch his attention in all the brief flurry of chaos on the Bridge. "Any theories on our current situation, and a better question, any suggestions for how to get us out?"

[Bridge]

Jackson could only shake his head in frustration as he tried to find a way to get more information out of the computer.  "Best I can figure, we're in some kind of gravity well.  That doesn't explain the scraping, though... but it doesn't look like we've been hit with anything solid.  It's hard to make a guess at this point."  His usual smile had fallen completely at the situation.  "Trying anything to get us out would be dangerous without knowing what we're in and how we got here.  There's a few things to try if it's just a gravity well, but I don't know if it's a good idea to risk it without more information."

Lek

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 07, 2017, 07:56:47 AM

Dylan then turned to the Ferengi. "Mister Lek, let's talk."

[Bridge]

Lek sighed as he faced the Captain.

"Aye Sir, but aside has already been reported, we've fallen into some sort of gravity well of unknown origin and there is impact damage to the forward edge of the saucer section. Orher than that, I have no valuable information to add at this time."

Alt of Ian Galloway

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.