S1E5 Brain Games

Started by Dylan Torngate, September 01, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Torngate

Captain's Log:

The Challenger has been swept and cleared from any radiation, and our week-long stay at Deep Space Nine is coming to a close. While relaxing, I'm anxious to get back out into space. Our next mission is a bit of a cooldown from annoying the Cardassians and Jem'Haddar, to deliver medical supplies to one of the outlying colonies just outside the demilitarized zone.

Another issue still of note is what to do with the Cardassian/Bajoran baby. Both governments have refused responsibility for the child, and so she is still aboard the Challenger. Who her eventual caregiver is, nobody knows. But everything is indicating that this mission should go smoothly and quietly, for once.

[Upper Docking Pylon 3, Deep Space 9]

Dylan exited the turbolift and walked out. He'd made the rounds of the station, but now it was back to work. Dylan walked down the short distance to the spaceway, and walked out into the airlock separating the Challenger from the station. He entered the frame of the Challenger, and walked the halls, the familiar sights and sounds providing comfort as he made his rounds.

[Challenger- Sickbay]

Dylan entered the sickbay, and looked for any of the doctors on duty. He needed to work out a matter of personnel transfer, but it could wait till later if he needed to. He looked at his PADD he had with him, making sure he had the needed documents on his screen, as he looked around for either the Doctor or the child they'd inherited the responsibility for.

It was time for the Challenger to fly again. They'd been cooped up on the station for far too long, in Dylan's opinion. Any Longer, thought Dylan, And we'd be a part of the station's spaceframe!

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 01, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Captain's Log:

The Challenger has been swept and cleared from any radiation, and our week-long stay at Deep Space Nine is coming to a close. While relaxing, I'm anxious to get back out into space. Our next mission is a bit of a cooldown from annoying the Cardassians and Jem'Haddar, to deliver medical supplies to one of the outlying colonies just outside the demilitarized zone.

Another issue still of note is what to do with the Cardassian/Bajoran baby. Both governments have refused responsibility for the child, and so she is still aboard the Challenger. Who her eventual caregiver is, nobody knows. But everything is indicating that this mission should go smoothly and quietly, for once.

[Upper Docking Pylon 3, Deep Space 9]

Dylan exited the turbolift and walked out. He'd made the rounds of the station, but now it was back to work. Dylan walked down the short distance to the spaceway, and walked out into the airlock separating the Challenger from the station. He entered the frame of the Challenger, and walked the halls, the familiar sights and sounds providing comfort as he made his rounds.

[Challenger- Sickbay]

Dylan entered the sickbay, and looked for any of the doctors on duty. He needed to work out a matter of personnel transfer, but it could wait till later if he needed to. He looked at his PADD he had with him, making sure he had the needed documents on his screen, as he looked around for either the Doctor or the child they'd inherited the responsibility for.

It was time for the Challenger to fly again. They'd been cooped up on the station for far too long, in Dylan's opinion. Any Longer, thought Dylan, And we'd be a part of the station's spaceframe!

CMO's Office

Lizzie had just fed and changed Alys before putting her down for a nap. Now that both governments that rightfully should have stepped up to look after the child had effectively washed their hands of her, Lizzie wondered what was to become of the little girl. For now she was to stay on the Challenger. She left the the child sleeping, set up the baby monitor and exited into Sickbay.

Sickbay

Lizzie exited her office and immediately say Dylan looking around. Figuring he was looking for either her or their guest, she went up to him.

"Welcome to Sickbay Captain. What can we do for you?" She asked.

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Lek

[Engineering]

Lek was monitoring his console, but only ardently. Most of his attention was elsewhere and the massive smile on his face indicated that whatever he was smiling about had nothing to do with engineering.

"It was amazing to be around other Ferengi for a change. The Hew-Mons were fine shipmates, but sometimes, you just had to be around your own kind and that Quark is a Ferengi's Ferengi of the old school who knows how to show a spacer a good time. I put a serious dent in my latinum, but it was WORTH IT! Good thing we were only here two weeks, I couldn't have afforded a third week, even with what I made up playing Tongo."

Lek continued to monitor the deuterium flow, but was very glad that the process was completely automated.k

Alt of Ian Galloway

Rhymus Cleroux

[Deck 08 - The Lounge]

Rhymus sat back in his chair, lightly swirling the contents of the bottle of Synthehol he had with him.

The past few days were a much-needed rest from the terror he had experienced only a couple short weeks ago. He had seen friends die, held them in his arms as they sputtered emotional last words to half-remembered relatives. But this... The Jem'Hadar ships and Cardassian infantry they had faced weren't there for cargo or loot. They were there for his head, or lack thereof, and fought to the last fighting man to make it so. You don't come out of something like that the same person you went in as.

And then there were the casualties. Coxum and Brahms. Rhymus had been so confident, going in with only a few of his fellow crewman. They were inundated with hostiles. Absolutely overwhelmed. Brahms had been the luckiest of the two. She at least had the pleasure of never knowing she died. It was quick, there was no pain, and she never saw it coming. Coxum... Coxum took it head on. He saw his death race toward him and he took it like the best of them. Either of them would have made fine officers, of that there's little doubt. But now they were dead. The only thing left of them were memories and folded flags. And it was Rhymus Cleroux's fault.

The man thought for a moment. Would he do anything differently, if he knew what was going to happen? If he knew how wrong everything was going to go?

That answer was at the bottom of the bottle.

Martin Jackson

[Sickbay]

Jackson's shift had just ended.  Lek was monitoring the ship's preparations, happy as a clam.  Jackson was glad that the officer seemed to enjoy his time off.  Jackson, too, had found something to distract him from the thought of the incident two weeks ago.

As had become his habit, when his shift ended, Jackson headed for sickbay.  While whole incident had been a nightmare, one good thing had come out of it, and Jackson rarely missed a chance to visit that good thing.

Arriving at Sick Bay, he waved to Lizzie, who appeared to be in conversation with the captain.  She had become Alys' caregiver, and would probably stay as such for quite some time, since both governments had refused responsibility for the girl.  That, Jackson couldn't quite understand, though the situation had been explained to him.  She was an angelic little thing, it didn't make sense that anyone would reject her so flippantly...  But, fortunately Lizzie was willing to take up her care.  But taking care of a baby was a difficult task, and Jackson was more than willing to help out where he could.  Alys was a joy to be around, and Jackson had taken to visiting her whenever he had time.

Lawrence Klaustrin

[Deck 08- The Lounge]

Lawrence looked around nervously, before slumping further into his chair. He'd been on the ship for a few days now, and so far didn't like the looks of it. It wasn't like anything was wrong, exactly, it was just off. The whole thing was enormous, much larger than any of the ships from Dee. Everything was sterile and smooth. Being outside of his quarters was a chore, with so many people making sure he was settled in, trying to shake his hand, or even just giving him a friendly nod. The experience wasn't new, it was like this everywhere in starfleet, but right now he found it grating.

He expected the lounge to be the worst of it. He almost didn't even come here. The only reason he did was so to get it over with. Afterward, maybe everything else would be easier. Instead, it was quiet, even somber. It was outside of any obligation to put on a good face. It was here that Lawrence slowly became aware that the ship must have been through something rough.

This was his future, then?

Rhymus Cleroux

Quote from: Lawrence Klaustrin on September 02, 2017, 03:11:50 PM

[Deck 08- The Lounge]

Lawrence looked around nervously, before slumping further into his chair. He'd been on the ship for a few days now, and so far didn't like the looks of it. It wasn't like anything was wrong, exactly, it was just off. The whole thing was enormous, much larger than any of the ships from Dee. Everything was sterile and smooth. Being outside of his quarters was a chore, with so many people making sure he was settled in, trying to shake his hand, or even just giving him a friendly nod. The experience wasn't new, it was like this everywhere in starfleet, but right now he found it grating.

He expected the lounge to be the worst of it. He almost didn't even come here. The only reason he did was so to get it over with. Afterward, maybe everything else would be easier. Instead, it was quiet, even somber. It was outside of any obligation to put on a good face. It was here that Lawrence slowly became aware that the ship must have been through something rough.

This was his future, then?

[Deck 08 - The Lounge]

Rhymus paused his lamenting long enough to eye the very nervous Science officer who entered the lounge, watching him off-handedly as he slunk to a far off corner table and tried his best to disguise himself within the upholstery.

'Well,' Thought Rhymus. 'Time to make like Starfleet and get into someone else's business.'

The Security crewman got up from his chair, bottle in hand, and walked to the far flung corner table. He sat down before the man could reject, and offered a nod in greeting.

"Rhymus Cleroux. I guess you're new around here? I heard we would be getting some extra crewmates around here."

Jettis Jyur

[Bridge]

Another boring time of simply sifting through paperwork had befallen the first officer. It was welcome; he didn't know if the poor ship could handle another major disaster. However it left him a lot of time to think in silence, especially about the issue of the abandoned child, who was still being kept aboard the ship. A small voice kept pushing him his mind to bring it up, smothered by his own self consciousness. It was persistent though, and couldn't seem to leave him alone for more than a couple hours. She reminded him of his own daughter, who he missed now more than ever. The last time he'd seen her face-to-face seemed like eons ago.

And then there was the paperwork of two new transfers - one name being familiar, and the other a mystery, but both being from Jettis' former ship. He hadn't had the chance to speak to either in depth yet, but planned on finding them off-shift, eventually. Whenever he managed to find the time.

Shaking himself out of his own head again, he moved from his office onto the Bridge, regretting drinking his entire cup of coffee before even starting his shift.

Suppressing a built-up sigh, the El-Aurian tapped his commbadge, putting his best "commander" voice back on; =/\="Bridge Crew of Alpha Shift, please report to begin departure preparations."=/\= Leaving his simply message at that, he himself nearly threw himself into his seat, crossing his legs, and steepling his fingers. Until at least one crewmember arrived, all he had to do was think, so that's exactly what he did.

Lawrence Klaustrin

[Deck 08 - The Lounge]

Rhymus paused his lamenting long enough to eye the very nervous Science officer who entered the lounge, watching him off-handedly as he slunk to a far off corner table and tried his best to disguise himself within the upholstery.

'Well,' Thought Rhymus. 'Time to make like Starfleet and get into someone else's business.'

The Security crewman got up from his chair, bottle in hand, and walked to the far flung corner table. He sat down before the man could reject, and offered a nod in greeting.

"Rhymus Cleroux. I guess you're new around here? I heard we would be getting some extra crewmates around here."

[Deck 08 - The Lounge]

Lawrence got his wish after all, and was pleasantly annoyed by it. The man, who the science officer saw drink a significant amount, wasted no time introducing himself. He also correctly assumed Lawrence was new, which made him wonder if all of the crew knew each other, despite the enormity. He wouldn't be surprised.

"Lawrence Klaustrin," he returned. "I am new, yes. And yes, I've already found my quarters, and yes I'm settling in fine. Just like this whole ship is fine."

It was the sort of fine that meant nothing was wrong that was worth talking about. It would have been fine to leave the conversation there, but Lawrence forced himself to continue. The more people he knew, the better.

"I'm working as a science officer, a transfer from an outpost on Karaga. Yourself?"

Rhymus Cleroux

Quote from: Lawrence Klaustrin on September 02, 2017, 04:15:40 PM

[Deck 08 - The Lounge]

Lawrence got his wish after all, and was pleasantly annoyed by it. The man, who the science officer saw drink a significant amount, wasted no time introducing himself. He also correctly assumed Lawrence was new, which made him wonder if all of the crew knew each other, despite the enormity. He wouldn't be surprised.

"Lawrence Klaustrin," he returned. "I am new, yes. And yes, I've already found my quarters, and yes I'm settling in fine. Just like this whole ship is fine."

It was the sort of fine that meant nothing was wrong that was worth talking about. It would have been fine to leave the conversation there, but Lawrence forced himself to continue. The more people he knew, the better.

"I'm working as a science officer, a transfer from an outpost on Karaga. Yourself?"

"Sec-Tac. I used to work on a cargo ship, made the runs out to Vega and beyond. Decided to join up, go to Mars. Challenger is my first posting."

Rhymus excused himself long enough to refresh the bottle of Synthehol and acquire two glasses. He filled the two and took one himself, offering the other to the new member.

He raised the glass, "To new adventures, may we make fine tales and finer friends."

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Martin Jackson on September 02, 2017, 01:37:12 PM

[Sickbay]

Jackson's shift had just ended.  Lek was monitoring the ship's preparations, happy as a clam.  Jackson was glad that the officer seemed to enjoy his time off.  Jackson, too, had found something to distract him from the thought of the incident two weeks ago.

As had become his habit, when his shift ended, Jackson headed for sickbay.  While whole incident had been a nightmare, one good thing had come out of it, and Jackson rarely missed a chance to visit that good thing.

Arriving at Sick Bay, he waved to Lizzie, who appeared to be in conversation with the captain.  She had become Alys' caregiver, and would probably stay as such for quite some time, since both governments had refused responsibility for the girl.  That, Jackson couldn't quite understand, though the situation had been explained to him.  She was an angelic little thing, it didn't make sense that anyone would reject her so flippantly...  But, fortunately Lizzie was willing to take up her care.  But taking care of a baby was a difficult task, and Jackson was more than willing to help out where he could.  Alys was a joy to be around, and Jackson had taken to visiting her whenever he had time.

Posting as Ensign M'Nirr - Nurse
M'Nirr had been working hard to make sure Sickbay was ready for whatever the next mission threw at them. The Caitian had ensured that they were fully re-stocked with all necessary supplies.

She had just finished her final inventory check when an Ops crewman she did not know entered. Knowing there was a baby in the Chief's Office, made her more protective than normal. Swishing her tail, she made her way over to him.

"Can I help you Crewman?" She asked politely, though keeping an eye on him.

In Memorium.

Lek

[Engineering]

Lek was still daydreaming about his leave when Lieutenant Frank Ringeisen, the chief engineer barked his name.

"Ensign Lek! They just called for a meeting. I'm busy with keeping the dilithium matrix balanced. I need you to sit in for engineering."

Lek sighed internally because he knew there was nothing wrong with the dilithium matrix. Truth was Ringeisen hated meetings and Lek happened to be the first offer the chief engineer saw.

"Aye Sir. On my way."

Lek still strolled out of engineering with a smile because he wasn't going to let Ringeisen ruin his mood. He entered the turbolift and exited on the bridge. Normally, he'd be nervous about representing engineering as a mere ensign, but his work during the encounter with the Karnat had been recognized and he was in an extraordinarily good mood. He took his seat and waited for the meeting to start.

Alt of Ian Galloway

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 01, 2017, 01:39:31 PM

CMO's Office

Lizzie had just fed and changed Alys before putting her down for a nap. Now that both governments that rightfully should have stepped up to look after the child had effectively washed their hands of her, Lizzie wondered what was to become of the little girl. For now she was to stay on the Challenger. She left the the child sleeping, set up the baby monitor and exited into Sickbay.

Sickbay

Lizzie exited her office and immediately say Dylan looking around. Figuring he was looking for either her or their guest, she went up to him.

"Welcome to Sickbay Captain. What can we do for you?" She asked.

[Sickbay]

Dylan smiled as he saw the Chief Medical Officer. He handed her a PADD, with the formal documents from Cardassia and Bajor both. Each world had given up any claim to the baby, Alys, and so Dylan had wanted to inform the de-facto caretaker personally. "It appears your little responsibility isn't going to be taken off of our hands anytime soon. I leave it to your best judgment as to what to do with the child," he said, as he smiled. "I'll be around if you need anything else, just wanted to give you this."

He nodded to the woman and took his leave- he had some other matters to attend to today. "Take care, Doctor."

[Corridor, Outside of Sickbay]

Dylan tapped his chest and triggered his Commbadge. It was time for him to do one of his most fun things. =/\=Ensign Lek! Report to my ready room, keeping in mind the 171st rule of acquisition, 'Time is Latinum. The early Ferengi get the Latinum.'=/\= he said, making his best pissed-off voice.

What was the point of being in charge if he couldn't make the crew jump every once in a while?

He tapped a small box in his pocket as he entered a turbolift and headed to the Bridge.

[Bridge]

He entered the bridge, gave a warm smile to the XO who was sitting in the center chair and looped around to his ready room, which admitted him as he waited.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 02, 2017, 07:41:24 PM

[Sickbay]

Dylan smiled as he saw the Chief Medical Officer. He handed her a PADD, with the formal documents from Cardassia and Bajor both. Each world had given up any claim to the baby, Alys, and so Dylan had wanted to inform the de-facto caretaker personally. "It appears your little responsibility isn't going to be taken off of our hands anytime soon. I leave it to your best judgment as to what to do with the child," he said, as he smiled. "I'll be around if you need anything else, just wanted to give you this."

He nodded to the woman and took his leave- he had some other matters to attend to today. "Take care, Doctor."

Sickbay

Lizzie nodded and took the PADD from Dylan's hand.

"I'll be here if you need anything." She replied quietly to his retreating form.

Quickly reading the PADD, it contained the legal waivers from both the Cardassian and Bajoran governments, rejecting any responsibility and refuting any clam to Alys. She sighed softly and was about to return to her office when she saw M'Nirr, her Caitian Nurse speaking to Crewman Jackson. She could see from the movements of M'Nirr's tail, that she was not happy.

She went over to the pair of them and caught the end of their conversation.

Quote from: Martin Jackson on September 02, 2017, 01:37:12 PM

[Sickbay]

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on September 02, 2017, 05:32:23 PM

Posting as Ensign M'Nirr - Nurse
M'Nirr had been working hard to make sure Sickbay was ready for whatever the next mission threw at them. The Caitian had ensured that they were fully re-stocked with all necessary supplies.

She had just finished her final inventory check when an Ops crewman she did not know entered. Knowing there was a baby in the Chief's Office, made her more protective than normal. Swishing her tail, she made her way over to him.

"Can I help you Crewman?" She asked politely, though keeping an eye on him.

Lizzie gave a small smile. Caitians were well known to be protective of children and it seemed like her whole staff had taken an interest in the little girl.

"I'll handle this." She said to the Caitian.

"Yes Doctor." The nurse replied, heading over to the main biobed.

"I take it you have come to see Alys?" She asked. "You can come and see her, but she is sleeping at the moment and I would prefer it if she was not woken up just yet." She continued, indicating her office.

In Memorium.

Lek

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on September 02, 2017, 07:41:24 PM

[Corridor, Outside of Sickbay]

Dylan tapped his chest and triggered his Commbadge. It was time for him to do one of his most fun things. =/\=Ensign Lek! Report to my ready room, keeping in mind the 171st rule of acquisition, 'Time is Latinum. The early Ferengi get the Latinum.'=/\= he said, making his best pissed-off voice.

What was the point of being in charge if he couldn't make the crew jump every once in a while?

He tapped a small box in his pocket as he entered a turbolift and headed to the Bridge.

[Bridge]

He entered the bridge, gave a warm smile to the XO who was sitting in the center chair and looped around to his ready room, which admitted him as he waited.

[Conference Room]

When he heard the captain summon him in a voice that did not seem pleased, Lek lurched out of his seat and exited the conference room in haste. He crossed the bridge and stood outside the ready room long enough for the door chime to announce him, then entered and stopped precisely one meter from the desk and braced at the position of attention.

"Ensign Lek reporting as ordered Sir!"

Alt of Ian Galloway

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.