Author Topic: Dream Star Trek Game  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Arrun Dihsar

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Knowing your destiny is only half the journey.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dream Star Trek Game
« on: August 30, 2017, 03:35:51 am »
So many video games, some even Sci-Fi. Bioware not quite the great company it was in the KOTOR/DragonAge/MassEffect era, and yet no Great Star Trek adventure games.

The kind I remember fondly are the point and click adventure titles they had for TNG and TOS; mainly out of Interplay; and of course the Starfleet Academy game on the SNES console.

So, I ask of you all: what is the dream video game you would like to see be made?

For me, it would be a modern console (and/or PC) release of the Starfleet Academy game. New visuals, covering the new ships, maybe get Janeway and Picard to chime in a line or two; I am sure Sulu or Checkov would love to get in front of an official camera. And with modern day graphics, I think it would look just amazing. If they really must, they could get the Alternate Universe stuff in too. Though mixing in away team missions would be nice.

Alright, going to cheat a little here. I think the other dream game would be a VR game where you not ONLY were on the bridge of a starship but got to move about the ship and go on away missions. Maybe in my lifetime, maybe.

ANYway...

What's yours?

Offline Naira

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dream Star Trek Game
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:41:50 pm »

Alright, going to cheat a little here. I think the other dream game would be a VR game where you not ONLY were on the bridge of a starship but got to move about the ship and go on away missions. Maybe in my lifetime, maybe.

ANYway...

What's yours?

I was saying this exact thing to my husband before Bridge Crew came out. I would like one where you could move around the ship to different decks and departments and interact with the equipment. I even suggested that they could do this by using a turbolift as a loadscreen between levels such as what they did in the Portal games.

However, I understand why they chose not to do this. The way Bridge Crew is set up, it confines you to a chair/station thus making it compatible with both the oculus rift and the vibe (I can't remember if there are any plans to release it on Playstation VR), but if they wanted to allow you to actually walk around it would only be accessible to us vibe owners and right now we make up a smaller portion of the VR community as the initial cost and space requirements price a lot of people out of the market. So it wouldn't really be financially feasible to make such a game right now.

Offline Arrun Dihsar

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Knowing your destiny is only half the journey.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dream Star Trek Game
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:45:29 pm »
However, I understand why they chose not to do this. The way Bridge Crew is set up, it confines you to a chair/station thus making it compatible with both the oculus rift and the vibe (I can't remember if there are any plans to release it on Playstation VR), but if they wanted to allow you to actually walk around it would only be accessible to us vibe owners and right now we make up a smaller portion of the VR community as the initial cost and space requirements price a lot of people out of the market. So it wouldn't really be financially feasible to make such a game right now.

Bridge Crew is on the PSVR (that's how I play it), though I only play with the controller (surprised it works).

As for moving around, there are mechanics that have been showcased for using a Move cursor to indicate a space you want to move to and then teleporting you over there. Or, akin to the early console games, they could just phase you in different chairs; like you do in Bridge Crew if you're playing with AI crew and need to take their station. :D

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles