Author Topic: Lawrence Klaustrin  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Lawrence Klaustrin

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Lawrence Klaustrin
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »
Character Details

Character Name: Lawrence Klaustrin
Character Age: 26
Character DOB: 46191.6
Character Image: http://stavatars.com/viewer/big_viewer.php?img_dir=avatars&image=17517_dillon-matt-180.png
Character Species: Human
Character Family:
Mother- Evelyn Klaustrin
Father- Philmore Klaustrin
Brother- Jerry Klaustrin (MIA)

Character Bio:

Lawrence Klaustrin was born on an old human colony on a class O planet. It's referred to by an archaic designation of D-11i, or as "Dee" by the colonists. The colony was established shortly after the Federation, and technically remains independent. Because some of the population leaves to gain the benefits of Federation citizenship, the colony itself has stayed rather small. Traders do occasionally stop by, allowing Dee to import technology and export minerals dredged up from the ocean.

Growing up, Lawrence took an interest in the different plants and animals around the colony. The colony had plenty of scientific information, but there were gaps in the data banks when it came to advances from the rest of the galaxy. When he was 15, he saved up minerals for months on end in order to request isolinear chips on subjects such as taxonomy and planetary evolution. From there, he began learning about xenobiology as it pertained to the scientific community as a whole.

It was around this time that Lawrence took an interest in the small religious movement circulating the colony. The Autodeists, led by Bennett Silker, believed that the universe was dictated by the conscious minds observing it. They taught that suffering is caused by disruptions of harmony between minds. Even thinking ill will towards someone else caused ripples through the galaxy and could cause disaster at a different point in space-time. Lawrence was convinced by a few enigmatic friends, but found difficulty following through with his new beliefs.

Lawrence's father, Philmore, held rank in Dee's small military force. The military was mostly decorative, meant to ward off scavengers. The colony was not prepared to defend against a serious attack. When such an attack came in 2389, the planet was thrown into chaos. The reasons for the assault has remained unclear. There were several casualties, but the military quickly broke formation to instead evacuate the planet. Lawrence was picked up by his father's friend, but communication between the ships were jammed. The ships had to flee before a rendezvous could be established.

When he was able to contact his parents again, they were living as refugees in the Federation, His older brother had yet to be found. Lawrence decided against joining the rest of the recovered colony. He eventually found his way onto a crew of smugglers. For four years, he worked to keep alive rare plants and animals as they made the journey to various black markets. The longer his criminal career ran, the more of a schism developed between him and the rest of the crew. Eventually, he became fed up with their differences of ethics. He left, and in the process rescued three animals. Wanting to try something in the opposite direction, Lawrence applied to starfleet just last year.

Currently, he's biding his time as a part of the shadow fleet. He still cares for the three animals he rescued. Toris is a large marine arthropod who shares his aquarium with Nells, a silicon-based sessile creature with long glowing streamers. The last one, Dixie, shares her appearance with the earthly clade Opiliones, but is the size of a small dog. Lawrence carries her to the holodeck every other week and runs a simulation of her home planet.

Lawrence doesn't expect to stay with starfleet for very long. He still partially blames them for failing to defend Dee, and is paranoid his brief stint as a smuggler will be found out. He has yet to really make friends with others yet, owing to a short temper and reclusive habits, but he's recently resolved to fix his attitude. If starfleet really is the best option for him, then he might as well be happy doing it.

Your Details

Previous Role-Playing Experience:
I've been doing this for just over a half-year, and have been on a wide variety of sites (though a lot of them died). I was a moderator for a couple months, but the site folded when the admin left.

Department Preference: Science
Secondary Department Preference: Security/Tactical
Commissioned, Enlisted or Civilian: Enlisted

Sample post:

Lawrence frowned. He really should have expected this. Trying to shortchange the client failed every single time. As far as smuggling crews to join, he must have picked a dumb one. Of course, the pilot didn't listen to him. Yes, klingons were warriors, but no, that doesn't mean they are stupid. It just meant they could kill you when they figured out the trade was bad.

Their shields held for only a few seconds, allowing a group of klingons to board shortly after. Lawrence was surprised that they didn't just destroy the whole ship, but it ultimately made sense. It was about sending an impression, and getting their cargo back. This was confirmed when the cargo doors were blown open, and Lawrence immediately dove under his little desk in the corner.

"I surrender! Take whatever you want!" he shouted.

It wasn't the most daring of words when confronted with danger, but he hoped it would at least keep him alive.

"Just be careful with the tanks of sindis venom. I'm pretty sure the rest of the crew ignored my safety recommendations."

Additional information: none

How did you find Shadow Fleet? Jumped from site to site using ads for a while trying to find a good sci-fi one. Technically came from Maelstrom.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Lawrence Klaustrin
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:28:15 pm »
Lawrence,

Quite a colorful application ;-)

We have a need for a Science Officer on the Challenger.

Would that work for you?

Please advise,

Kirok
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:38:53 am by Kirok »

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:45:44 pm »
I think that's a compliment, so I'll go ahead and take it as one. Science Officer on the Challenger sounds great!

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:13:58 pm »
It totally is :-)
I'm sure Kirok will get back to you in a bit but you can totally reach out to Dylan Torngate, the Captain of the Challenger.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:02 pm »
I think that's a compliment, so I'll go ahead and take it as one. Science Officer on the Challenger sounds great!

It certainly was!

Please report into (email) Dylan Torngate on the Challenger.

He will get you squared away on the mission.

Also, I can have your training course started if you like.

Just let me know,

Sincerely,

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 02:46:29 am »
Hi there!

I'm handling the Enlisted Persons Course (EPC) at the moment. As you're new here, so you can get familiar with Shadow Fleet style and be eligible for promotions, you are required to pass the EPC to demonstrate your Trek knowledge, RP skills, and understanding of posting requirements. It's pretty simple, nothing to worry about.

When you say you're ready for it, I'll start it up.

To confirm, what's your preferred field as a science officer? I guess botany, zoology, etc.?
Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:15:33 am »
Thank you. Actually, it would help me a lot as far as finding time to do that if I knew how long it typically is. There's a big difference for my availability if it only takes 15 minutes versus a full half hour or more. My preferred field would be zoology.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:03:59 pm »
It's three small posts for the first stage, three longer ones for the second stage (though the posts can be any size). It's just regular play-by-post gaming like we do here, not a real-time thing. You can take them at your own rate, and can be done over a week.

I'll set it up later today.

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles